SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #1 (Winners Posted)

SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #1 (Winners Posted)

• 161 replies

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #1
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2018, 07:10 PM »
Can you release the requirements/max number for screenshots by tomorrow? I have to leave on a trip on Monday until Friday, so I'll be gone during the deadline. I'll be able to post but I can only take screenshots tonight and tomorrow, so it would be helpful for the requirements/max number.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Can you release the requirements/max number for screenshots by tomorrow? I have to leave on a trip on Monday until Friday, so I'll be gone during the deadline. I'll be able to post but I can only take screenshots tonight and tomorrow, so it would be helpful for the requirements/max number.
Sure no problem.

I'm going to be fairly generous this challenge, and give you a maximum of 8 screenshots.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Thanks. Also, will there be a separate thread to post our screenshots or nah?

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2018, 04:01 AM »
Yes, that is correct. Just don't fill up the entire area, as you'll need some space for the goals in Challenge #2. ;)

Thanks. So it is completely acceptable to leave some of the ice rink plot untouched? We won’t be penalised for that? The idea of this challenge is to build on roughly the area of the actual ice rink, isn’t it?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2018, 10:48 AM »
Thanks. So it is completely acceptable to leave some of the ice rink plot untouched? We won’t be penalised for that? The idea of this challenge is to build on roughly the area of the actual ice rink, isn’t it?
The amount of land inside the ice rink plot that you use is completely up to you. Your main attraction should be roughly the size of the actual ice rink. Or it can be the ice rink itself, refurbished. The other goals of the challenge will take up more land, of course. The main thing to keep in mind is that you will need to keep some land inside the ice rink plot (and above the cliffs) available for Challenge #2. It can be a little or a lot of land, as that really won't affect the goals of that challenge. (That's all I can say without giving anything away)

Thanks. Also, will there be a separate thread to post our screenshots or nah?
Screenshots for this challenge will be posted in this thread.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
SGW Summer Challenge #1 -- Bullethead
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Bullethead Sweatshop Industries Challenge #1 Entry

Due to upcoming shortages of time, I had to marathon this thing over this weekend.  So here it is, ahead of schedule and under budget.  And I must say, a mere 8 pics was harsh for a project covering such a large surface area, thanks to the parking lot and having so many things we had to build.  But here we go.

My sluggish Neanderthal brain came up with the following general ideas:  1) to emphasize the "lake" in Lake Planco, so make allusions to water throughout, 2) to preserve the ice rink and spiff it up a bit to represent local the history, and 3) to make something looking new and exciting that somehow didn't clash too much with its surroundings.  As I lack imagination, I just threw parts at each other hoping something would stick.  Eventually something did.  But as I lack both taste and style, I'm sure most will find it ugly as sin.

I call the "theme" I came up with "Steampunk Atlantis".  Imagine Atlanteans somehow surviving into the present day and then trying to make the stereotypical Victorian-styled park entrance / main street thing.  It's a horrible kludge of stucco, haunted house, and Mesoamerican parts, all of which are given a sort of aquatic color scheme because "Lake Planco".  BEHOLD:

Given real estate constraints, the parking lot at the park itself is for season pass-holders and the handicapped.  There's also a pedestrian bridge for those staying in the local motels.  Out-of-town guests use a park=and-ride lot on the outskirts of town (off-map) and ride shuttle buses in.  Thus, this parking lot was designed to emphasize bus flow, including the wide turn-around in the foreground.

In the parking lot, note the bus parking along the curb right in front of the park, and the no parking zones near the hydrants.  All the buildings are fully sprinklered and have FDCs and nearby hydrants, plus emergency exits.  In the upper left background, you can see how the highway had to be widened by 2 lanes (with only a minimum amount of eminent domain on the corner of the old farm property) to create an intersection at the vehicle entrance.  Lake Planco Park is advertised around the perimeter and on the pedestrian bridge, but all signs say "Coming Soon" and the new intersection is barricaded off.

If you look really close through the entry archways of the main building, you can see the animatronic staff ticket-takers ;).

Above are the gates at the vehicular entrance.  2 lanes for cars, 1 for buses.  Also 2 exit lanes, 1 to turn in each direction, with tire spikes to prevent folks trying to get in that way to avoid paying for parking.

Above is an overview of the main construction projects.  From left to right, we have the queue building for the Big Wheel.  In the center is a multi-purpose building incorporating not only the elevator at the park end of the pedestrian bridge but also the restroom and balloon shop.  Finally, on the right is the main park entrance building with roof combs trying to look like waves on the lake.  The entrance building contains a small food court, info counter, the park offices, and the staff break room.

In the left foreground you can see the hydrant needed to supply the sprinklers in both the Big Wheel queue and the elevator/balloon shop/restroom buildings.  The queue building's FDC is free-standing in the grass, marked by a sign.  The FDCs of the other buildings are are on their walls.

EDIT:  Fixed 1 typo in the food court sign by substituting another typo.  Also, you can see a full ticket window.

Above is the food court in the main entrance building.  The pic was taken from the main entrance hall--park gates and ticket windows (which look rather like the parking line entrance booths) are on the left behind the turnstiles.  You can just barely see part of one above the turnstile.  To the right is the opening to the main plaza.  Behind the camera is the entrance to the park offices and staff break room.

Above is the inner side of the elevator / restroom / balloon shop building.  Just more of the same "Steampunk Atlantis" theme.  BSI chose a balloon shop as that didn't require an interior.

Above is the ride required to occupy the same space as the ice rink.  It turned out my Galaxi fit perfectly, although I rebuilt it extensively to make it better.  Note the greatly increased banking in the helices (with much support rework to match) and more substantial station.  There's also a "Steampunk Atlantis" fountain on each end to help blend the overall entrance plaza theme into this.  Also observe that the main plaza path around the coaster retains the same cobblestone format as the old paths through the picnic area.

Also note the ice rink now has regulation hockey markings.  The local high school hockey team is called the "Lake Planco Ice Giants" and their colors are ice blue, light green, and yellow.  So not only was the ice rink retained for historical purposes, but the whole ride was made to promote the local sports scene.  Gotta give props to the local politicians who gave us such a tax break to build here ;).

As you can see the rest of town in the background, hopefully you'll think the park architecture doesn't overwhelm it too much.

Here's the inner side of the queue building for the Grand Wheel, the only other ride so far in the park.  It exists primarily to balance the plaza so far around the old ice rink.  BSI didn't want to build too much given the unknown demands of future challenges and, of course, the 8-pic limit.

And finally, the interior of the Grand Wheel queue.  Just more "Steampunk Atlantis".

That's all for now.  Good luck to everybody.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 02:30 AM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2018, 07:02 PM »
Let the games begin...and may the odds be ever in your favor.     :n00b:

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2018, 11:23 PM »
By comparison I might have parking issues later on... ha ha!

Looks nice bullet head!
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 01:55 AM »
Ill step out of the competition. I hoped joining such an event would be a nice way to learn how to play the game but i have to many things i dont know yet. I dont know how to make turning lanes or a parking lot for that matter.

Good luck to the others in the event!

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2018, 02:23 AM »
Ill step out of the competition. I hoped joining such an event would be a nice way to learn how to play the game but i have to many things i dont know yet. I dont know how to make turning lanes or a parking lot for that matter.

Please reconsider.

I’m a new player with fewer than 30 hours under my belt but I’m entering for fun.

I fully expect to finish last, but it’ll be great to get some feedback.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2018, 02:26 AM »
By comparison I might have parking issues later on... ha ha!
Looks nice bullet head!

Thanks!  Except I just noticed a typo in the food court sign ;).  Which turns out to be because there's not enough space for "Lake Planco Grill".  So I changed that to "LakePlanco Grill".  And in the revised pic, you can see the whole ticket window.  These are on both sides of the 2 paths through the entry hall.

Anyway, yeah, getting adequate parking in the available space, and access to it, was a problem.  That and keeping the peeps from jaywalking and getting run over :).

Sorry to see you go.  Technically, the parking lot isn't hard to make, just tedious.  Just add to the existing roads, which are actually paths with the asphalt texture.  All the stripes are painted wooden beams set nearly flush into the path.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2018, 05:04 AM »

Hey! While I understand your sentiment, I would hate to see you give up so early. The competition really provides great opportunity to really participate in the community, learn from others, and receive constructive comments on your own work.

Regarding parking lots & turning lanes, these can be as simple or difficult as you want. hell, most of the time, my parking lots tend to merely be gravel terrain paint with some lines (wide wooden columns sunk into the ground) spaced 4ish meters apart. If you haven't done so already, I'd totally suggest taking a look at some youtube lets plays (i think ruble trillions may have a very thorough tutorial series).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 05:12 AM by Salad Fries »

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2018, 05:42 AM »
All the more reason to stay in, Forgath.   You'll get a level of critique here that you often can't get in a park thread.  People will know who you are, you'll make some friends, and you'll get so much better at the game, so much faster, than if you were just building in a vacuum.  A couple of examples from the winter challenge spring to mind.

And yes, sometimes, possibly all the time, you'll see competitors post things that are better than what you just built.  Thanks to Bullethead for giving me that extra 2 days to up my game.   :P

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2018, 06:27 AM »
As a judge - I ask you keep trying as well. we will be splitting up entries into two groups, one for beginners, so don't feel like you will be up against more experienced players. Have fun with it and do what you can. Great learning experience.

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2018, 06:28 AM »
And BH...nice entry from my first glance. Can't wait to go back and spend more time with it later on.

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2018, 06:53 AM »
Thank you for the replies and feedback. Im not fussed about where to end in such a competition. Id like to get more fun out of the game. Though owning the game for almost 1.5 years i have only 18 hours played. Combine that with that im not easily satisfied with what i create, and you have the 'perfect mix' for an event like this*cough*

I will have only 2 evenings left to continue working on the park, but ill try to post some screenshots and see where it goes from there.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2018, 06:54 AM »
Forgath, the last competition made me SO MUCH better at the game just by having that canvas there and people to look at for ideas and so on. It made me start my own park that I was much happier with. I add to the sentiment it is more reason for you to stay. Just do what you can and make things really simple, as long as you have fun that's what matters. Also it won't all be parking lots.

I hope you stay and maybe you and PHDisney can help each other out?!

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2018, 06:54 AM »
ah, sorry didn't see your response.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Thanks to Bullethead for giving me that extra 2 days to up my game.   :P

Oh bah.  I know you're just trying to cover the points spread :).

@Wowman:  Hehehe, thanks.  But the main reason I posted this when I did, though, was just to be able to say that for a brief, shining moment, before anybody else posts an entry, I can claim to be the frontrunner in an SGW contest.  It's like leading a lap in NASCAR even if you crash the next lap :)

@Forgath:  Glad you'll give it a go.  I learned so much in last summer's contest, and I've already learned a lot this time.  For example, the above is the 1st parking lot I've ever built in the game (as opposed to just leaving the slab after a building burns down).  This isn't going to kill you so it can only make you stronger.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2018, 11:00 AM »
I am sorry to say but I have to drop out. I am just back from my vacation(we stayed a bit longer than first planned) and now I don't have the time to get a good build on the way in the time remaining.
Sorry for this. Hope to compete in the winter event again if that comes around.

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2018, 02:00 PM »
I am sorry to say but I have to drop out. I am just back from my vacation(we stayed a bit longer than first planned) and now I don't have the time to get a good build on the way in the time remaining.
Sorry for this. Hope to compete in the winter event again if that comes around.

While doing such a large challenge in such limited time would be understandably difficult, I would implore you to hang in there even if you have to sit this particular challenge out. You can still get a very good score with a challenge missed.

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2018, 02:09 PM »
^^And if scoring is similar to previous competitions, you can get at least a point just for submitting a blank map :D

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Agreed.  Everybody has an off week as time goes on, so it evens out :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2018, 04:20 AM »
I’m getting nervous now.

As a newbie to the game, please be kind when the comments and voting starts!  :-\

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2018, 04:43 AM »
Bullethead, this looks GREAT!!! I love the coloring and the architecture, as well as the design of the entrance and parking lot layout. :)
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2018, 04:59 AM »
PHDISNEY nobody is gonna laugh at you here. We all start out somewhere. Some as early as rct1 some just for planco. It's better to have a diverse range of people and you're more likely to get constructive feedback than mockery.

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2018, 06:06 AM »
While doing such a large challenge in such limited time would be understandably difficult, I would implore you to hang in there even if you have to sit this particular challenge out. You can still get a very good score with a challenge missed.

What you say is true but I still would need the entrance and so on that would mean 2 challenges in 1, That is because in this challenge you need to build all the needed parts to start a park. If it was a map with entrance I would try and continue now it would be to difficult

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2018, 07:27 AM »
What you say is true but I still would need the entrance and so on that would mean 2 challenges in 1, That is because in this challenge you need to build all the needed parts to start a park. If it was a map with entrance I would try and continue now it would be to difficult

My entrance building is basically a cube with a hole in it for people to walk through!

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Well than I will delay my decision till the second challenge is known. If I think I can make that in combination with this one than I still will join if that is okay with Shyguy.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2018, 10:10 AM »
Bullethead, this looks GREAT!!!

Thanks :).  I expect to start seeing some other entries by this evening, though.  Then you'll no doubt see something really worth getting excited about ;).

My entrance building is basically a cube with a hole in it for people to walk through!

At the bottom line, that's what they all are.  The only difference is the proportions and colors of the box, and the number, type, and arrangement of the decorative bits stuck on it.  The hardest part for me is deciding on those variables.  I can copy a photo no problem but I can't envision something that doesn't exist and then build it.  So what I do for projects like this is just throw parts together more or less at random, varying their color and arrangement, starting over many times, until I get something interesting.  Then I can begin to see where that combination will lead, and can go in that direction.

Well than I will delay my decision till the second challenge is known. If I think I can make that in combination with this one than I still will join if that is okay with Shyguy.

I would recommend at least roughing something out for the 1st challenge.  You get some points just for showing up, which you'll want down the road.  But anyway, glad to hear you're still interested.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:20 AM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page