SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #1 (Winners Posted)

SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #1 (Winners Posted)

• 161 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #1
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2018, 10:21 AM »
Well than I will delay my decision till the second challenge is known. If I think I can make that in combination with this one than I still will join if that is okay with Shyguy.
The 2nd challenge is much simpler than this one, so I think you should start this one and at least submit what you have. Then you can still receive some points for at least submitting a Challenge 1 entry. The first challenge is usually one of the hardest. And beginning any park and figuring out what you want it to be is always the most difficult.

The deadline to submit your entries is Thursday, July 5th at midnight. But you always have approximately a 12 hour grace period, just to compensate for the time differences and to give people a few extra hours if they need it. I try to make the competition rules very lenient and forgiving.

And remember...8 screenshots maximum. Post your entries in this thread.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Turtle

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2018, 10:54 AM »
Is it to late to join this?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Is it to late to join this?
If you can submit an entry by the deadline, then you're welcome to join.

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2018, 12:15 PM »
Lakeview Heights

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Lakeview Heights on the shoreline of the beautiful Lake Planco.

The park has recently opened after a major theme park investor acquired land on an old ice rink. Much to the disdain of the local motels, the first thing the investment company did was to rip up the ice rink, and build a stupendous 820 room hotel on its foundations. The new tallest building in the small community was not universally welcomed, but will have to quickly become part of the skyline near the lake shore. It truly is a Pink Elephant On Parade, to quote a Dumbo song.

Let's take a look around the new park in its early days.

---

Photograph 1

Here we see a view from the near the crossroads intersection which leads down to the lakefront. The motel on the left is still in use whilst the Lakeview Heights Hotel is completed. A deal was struck with the motel that a bridge would connect the park to the motel, and that the motel could become an affiliate, offering combined park and room tickets for a cut of the profit.

The car park is accessed under the huge letters of the garish new sign, again not a favourite with the locals, but by buses and taxis only. Cars must enter at the far end of the car park, under the bridge. Car parking is strictly for pre-booked cars only. For everyone else, a park and ride facility on the edge of town ferries visitors to the front gate.

Tickets can be bought at the bottom of the bridge, in the long, thin building between the road and the car park. From here, guests walk under the sign, past a bus stop, and through the turnstiles which can be seen to the left of the ferris wheel. They then turn left and go under the hotel into the park itself.

----

Photograph 2

We've bought our tickets, and have entered through the turnstiles (one each for Annual Passes and pre-booked tickets). Immediately on our right we find toilets (well, you may have travelled a long way to get here!), and a gift shop. This is strategically placed on the way in, but also the way out, for those last minute purchases!

The hotel rooms will all have wonderful views once it opens, across the park and the lake/mountains.

---

Photograph 3

This is the food court, and we are now in the park proper. When exiting the hotel "tunnels", the visitor can either turn right to head towards the limited rides available, or decide to have something to eat or drink. A beautiful, tranquil eating experience in homely, covered wooden decking near small water features can be enjoyed by those who wish to pay the park's food and drink prices!

What's that in the background? Yes - another reason for the locals to complain. Helicopter tours (temporary) have been set up to raise more money for the park. A small helipad in the background takes visitors high above the lake, but the noise isn't to everyone's tastes...

---

Photograph 4

We have come to one of the far corners of the park, which backs onto the road near the car park. Here, a small flat ride has been installed, surrounded by lush vegetation. The park investors had to sign an environmental policy which stated that greenery must be a significant element in the new park. Some more food, drink and toilet facilities can be found here, backing on to the main food court.
The helipad can be seen on the left.
The park looks beautiful at sunset, especially on a quiet day, as evidenced by the car park sitting half empty.

---

Photograph 5

The hotel, whilst not open yet, offers a luxurious experience. Perhaps none more so than a small tropical outdoor pool, with waterfall feature. Visitors/guests can lounge back on the deckchairs, looking at majestic mountains, or they can enjoy a refreshing dip in the pool. For guests in the park, the pool is not accessible, but they can enjoy some of the tropical aesthetic by diverting off the main path through a short tropical trail, seen on the right behind the waterfall. It also appears to be a shortcut for mechanics!

What a view this hotel room will have once it is open. The pool, the foliage, and the lake and mountains behind. Wondrous.

---

Photograph 6

A view of the pool and hotel from atop a tree on the current outskirts of the park. Behind the camera are a few old picnic areas and the lake overlooks, so far untouched by the new venture...

---

Photograph 7

An overview of the park in its current form. To think this was an ice rink not so long ago...

----

Photograph 8

Just so you know the locals are taking their opposition seriously, a little protest has started up at the front of the park. The park security and police are keeping a close eye on things...

-------

Thank you to all for the supportive comments towards me and other new players. Really tough to get something done in the timeframe, but I hope you all like at least some of what I have created!

Good luck to all!

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Wow PhD, you got a LOT done and it really makes that plot of land look much larger than it is.  Nice.

« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Nice entry PHDisney - will look at it in more details later

« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Well, doubt I'll have time to post pics tomorrow so a day early, welcome to Lake Jeronimo Park.

Fun fact:  Jeronimo with a "J" is Greek, not Native American.  But mostly it's a spelling that lets me stick my initials on the ferris wheel, which I've always wanted to do.  And yes, Jeronimo is not the actual current name of the lake, but we're hoping that will change eventually as the park takes off and people start calling it that anyway.

So I'm taking inspiration from the map with the mountains, the lake, and the rest of the nature and going for rustic, but less limiting, so modern rustic-ish?  Maybe "log cabin deco", which is totally a thing.  [It's not.]    The Lodge is on the right as you enter the gates, and houses a coffee shop, the Welcome Center, and some restrooms.   The Welcome Center is just a glorified gift shop that may or not have park maps and information booths. Not sure how all the stained glass ties into any of the themes I just mentioned, but there is more stained glass on the way.  Also, there are animated "fish" swimming in that pond. 

Architecture is fun, but we (me) want to keep the focus on the natural beauty of the land.  Trying not to cram things too closely together and take full of advantage of any opportunity to emphasize the natural surroundings.   

Season 1 of this park features no coasters or tracked rides to speak of, just 5 flat rides and a semi-elaborate midway of games.  The midway should serve to keep people occupied for awhile in a park that would otherwise see them leaving after an hour.  They can also bring a picnic lunch to enjoy in any of the original remaining shelters, for now.  If you forget to bring food, you can also get pretzels, popcorn, fruit drinks and sno-cones from the 4 vendors in the midway.

^^Tickets won on the midway can be redeemed for crappy prizes in the Prize Vault.  Most peeps seem to just walk out with balloons.  (This saved me from having to stock each booth.)

There's some workshop content in the park right now that may or not be visible in these photos.  Fisherman's skeeball tables, Rhian's water fountains, turnstyles (might be Shyguy's?) and some basketball backboards I couldn't figure out how to make on my own.

I can totally see why we have to have the 8 photo limit, as difficult as it was to try and show as much as possible.  But I figure it leaves me with more stuff I can show on those weeks when I don't have time to finish the actual challenge.  And now instead of a full overhead, I'm going to waste my 8th photo just to show that I installed traffic lights on that intersection, because PEEPS WERE DYING, SaladFries!!  :P  (And apparently they'll continue to die if I don't put in some crosswalks, oops.)  Just kidding, it's a very beautiful map that I'm having a lot of fun building on.  Looking forward to the competition and really hoping I can at least find time to add something for every challenge.  Good luck to everybody and have fun!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Thank you to all for the supportive comments towards me and other new players. Really tough to get something done in the timeframe, but I hope you all like at least some of what I have created!

Well, new or "knew", you've left me astounded.  That's some awesome work.  I changed my mind.  You really should quit.  :D

Seriously, that's some great work, both in volume and quality, which makes me feel like I didn't do nearly enough.  I'm particularly impressed with the swimming pool, especially one elevated above the nearby terrain.  That's not an easy thing to do and it took me much research, trial, and error to make such things.  Plus, it has a diving board!  A pox on plaintiff lawyers!

Also, I'm intensely jealous of your self-disparaging stylle, going so far as to put up protest signs  :up:

Fun fact:  Jeronimo with a "J" is Greek

Except there's no "J" in the Greek alphabet :).

Be that as it may, however, this is excellent work which is extremely intimidating.  And the signs are full of the JP puns I've come to expect.  I love it ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Nice entry JP...love the name ' logo' being incorporated into the park

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2018, 05:09 PM »
Three great entries so far. :)

And for any beginners who may be feeling intimidated, the competitors will most likely be separated into 2 tiers...Tier One for advanced players and Tier Two for casual and beginner players. But only if we have enough entrants to justify two tiers. So everyone, please enter the first challenge!

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Wow guys! Great stuff so far! I’m really impressed with the stuff everybody can come up with.

Offline Turtle

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Lake Planco Park

Welcome to Lake Planco Park, a small amusement park trying to finding it's footing in a community that doesn't seem too pleased to be hosting the small park.

The park's main entrance sits where the old Ice Rink once stood. The small city agreed to the park being built once the Planco Ice Rink was deemed unsalvageable. The only real opposition being old man Jenkins and those close to him.

When we say that the park is small, we truly mean it. The park opened with only two rides to its name.

The two rides being a carousel and some kind of spinner.

However, they did open with some nice food stops that are a welcome addition to the community!

The park planners kept the community in mind when building this small park. They left a reasonable amount of open field and picnic space that was there before the removal of the Ice Rink. 

I'm told that Lake Planco Park has plans for rappid expansion and that the changes should being soon.

That's all for now! I hope to keep you all updated on the expansion (if it happens!)
Until next time! ~

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2018, 01:20 AM »
Awesome entries so far! *applauds*

I'll post pictures later today i think. I only have a parking lot build, nothing else. So there aint much to show.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2018, 01:47 AM »
Really impressed with other people's work so far. Particularly a fan of JPAlmighT's creation. The most natural park I've seen in a while. The most difficult thing to do in this game is the path/wall/fence/foliage transition, and this one is very, very good.

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2018, 04:15 AM »
Great park Turtle!  It fits the map well and has some nifty architecture.  Really liking the tower on the entrance.

Thanks Ph!  (Not sure why I keep using initials on your screen name...)

Getting that parking lot out of the way was one of the biggest time consumers, Forgath.  Things will take off for you from there.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2018, 05:23 AM »
Welcome to Lake Planco Park, a small amusement park trying to finding it's footing in a community that doesn't seem too pleased to be hosting the small park.

Bravo!  This looks outstandingly real and really blends in well with the rest of the map.  And the gardening around the entrance is utterly charming.

I only have a parking lot build, nothing else. So there aint much to show.

As JP said, that parking lot is a total pain.  At least it was for me.  I'd never built one before so had to figure out some of the tricks on the fly.  But yeah, once that's done, the rest is (relatively) easy.  Good luck!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Turtle - nice simple plan/park so far. good entry.

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2018, 10:59 AM »
STEEP ROCK ADVENTURE PARK

Here at steep rock we are proud to welcome you to phase 1 of our adventure park the following are a few photos of our entrance and first attractions. We hope you have are as excited as we are!

First we have our trademark sign which will hopefully become recognisable as a brand. We tried to make it sleek and rustic.

Here is an overview of the entrance including car park:

We have a souvenier shop on your right contracted by the Loony Balloons Franchise and we are following on with the rustic theme but hopefully not to old fasioned.

Further along on your right is our own 'Good Eats' bar and grill with a nice decking area to enjoy your meal and a takeaway stall for those of you who can't wait to get on with your adventure.

On your left you will see the first ride of this park. Fitting the theme of adventure we present the Hot Air Balloon Race (note the parks first toilet building in the background (exciting I know))

We have constructed an adventure zone as our main attraction for phase 1 of the park and we are quite happy with it, inside includes a climbing wall, high wire, rope bridges a zipwire and more all meshed into a woodland setting. Here are a couple of shots to tease the area.

We hope you have enjoyed our park and may you always find adventure!

Rug
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 11:01 AM by FCP-Rug »
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2018, 11:30 AM »
FCP-Rug - - nice entry. I will take a closer look later. I like the rustic look.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2018, 11:56 AM »
FCP-Rug - I like this one. Understated compared to the other entries, mine included, but I think that's a good thing. I particularly like the fact you've put the car park in a different place to everyone else, and have it going down the side of the park, and not adjacent to the road.

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2018, 12:34 PM »
The 2nd challenge is much simpler than this one, so I think you should start this one and at least submit what you have. Then you can still receive some points for at least submitting a Challenge 1 entry. The first challenge is usually one of the hardest. And beginning any park and figuring out what you want it to be is always the most difficult.

The deadline to submit your entries is Thursday, July 5th at midnight. But you always have approximately a 12 hour grace period, just to compensate for the time differences and to give people a few extra hours if they need it. I try to make the competition rules very lenient and forgiving.

And remember...8 screenshots maximum. Post your entries in this thread.

Well as I have been very busy today i can't submit anything. Sorry for that and than I am afraid I need to drop out. So very sorry.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Very nicely done, FCP!  I love the overall look of the place and your unique approach to the orientation of the site is going to be interesting to see develop as the contest goes.  I wish I'd thought of that :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2018, 01:22 PM »
Well, i got to build a bit more than just the entrance, but more i dont have for you. No park-name or anything fancy, im losing a lot of time trying to manage through all the menus. This is pretty much the first time im actually building a park. So please forgive my lacking entry.

I always disliked the idea of going to an amusement park where you had to park your car on a large stroke of concrete with no shadows what-so-ever. Hence me building some trees between the parking lot.

Then entrance towards the parking lot

The start of me trying to build an entrance. I have not deleted the building behind it, but it is my intention. I was thinking of making some sort of historical themed park. But i guess time will tell if i manage that.

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2018, 01:25 PM »
Forgath, very happy to see you made the attempt to submit something! I love the shady car lot. Clever.

Each entry so far has had one thing or another that has really caught my eye. I am really enjoying the many different ways you all have chosen.

Looking forward to looking over everything!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 01:26 PM by citytrader »

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2018, 01:50 PM »
Yeah it's not a bad call at all with the shaded parking lot.

Hope you're having fun, onwards and upwards :)

« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2018, 01:56 PM »
Forgath, very happy to see you made the attempt to submit something! I love the shady car lot. Clever.

Each entry so far has had one thing or another that has really caught my eye. I am really enjoying the many different ways you all have chosen.

Looking forward to looking over everything!
Agreed. Good that you at least submitted something and will get credit for that. I would say to keep moving forward with it. Try to add some more of the objectives in the next several days before the next challenge comes out. You can get more up to speed and be ready for the next objectives.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2018, 02:09 PM »
Forgath - thank you for submitting something. This game is terrifying. It is really terrifying! Staying in this competition will help us all to improve through friendly, constructive feedback.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Good job, Forgath!  That's a much more inviting parking lot than most of the barren, desolate things others like me have made ;).  Thanks for sticking with this.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2018, 03:29 PM »
Hello and welcome to Melody Park! In this park you will eventually find many music themed attractions, shows, and concerts. Currently, the park is only a large parking lot, an entrance, a gift shop, a restroom building, a food shop, a food court, a flying carousel, and a small family roller coaster. Let's take a look...

In the picture above, you will find the quite large parking lot for a park of this size. This parking lot was designed with expansion in mind, as the park plans to expand beyond the borders of the current plot of land they own. The parking toll booths are currently useless as the parking is free, but eventually the park will begin to charge.

As you walk from your car to the front entrance, you will get this beautiful view you can see above now.

After you pass through the front entrance, you will be greeted by the Musical Chairs, a flying carousel ride with some beautiful night lighting.

If you turn around, there you will find the main gift shop of the park. This is currently the largest building in the park, as the park is planning for this to be its biggest money-maker.

To the left of the flying carousel and across from the gift shop is this small little bathroom building. Looking further down the path, you can see the family coaster and a food stand.

Here is Firebird, a family coaster themed to a piece by Igor Stravinsky. His music will eventually play throughout the queue, but the park spent too much of their budget on the parking lot to have such quality of life improvements.

Past the gift shop you will find a food court and a burger shack. In the future more food shops will be installed, but the park spent too much of their budget on the parking lot.

And finally, an overview of the park so far taken by a drone. I would like to thank you for taking a look at Melody Park! Have a good day!

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Wowzers! What lovely colours and architecture!

I think in this round of the competition i shall mostly be suffering from...car park envy.