Hello shyguy's World community

• 1 replies

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Hello shyguy's World community
« on: June 24, 2018, 04:42 PM »
   Hello shyguy's World community! My name's Jim (the J in JB). I'm 65 (Gah!) and I've been a lurker here and at the old Atari site since about 2005. So I know who you are (well, your shyguy's World personas anyway) even though you don't know me (yet).
   I play the RCT series of games, mostly RCT3. It's been a while since I've played RCT1 & 2 but I'm sure I'll dust them off again one of these centuries. I've played through all the scenarios from all of those games at least 2 or 3 times. Plus a bunch of user-made RCT3 scenarios. I find that playing the scenarios teaches me a lot about playing the game: what works best, how to do it, and what to avoid (too many polys!). Scenarios provide a pre-made landscape and a set of goals, which gets my creative juices going in ways I might not otherwise think of. And I apply what I've learned from the scenarios to my own sandbox parks.

I've been messing around with computers since the mid 1970s. My first computer was an 8 bit Atari 800 with a cassette-tape program recorder. Man, I hated that recorder; took forever to load/save a program. Around 1980 I moved up to an Atari 130XE (also 8 bit) with a 5 1/4" floppy drive. Much better. I still use that computer from time to time (it still works!). I became quite proficient at making games using one of the souped-up BASIC programming languages (BASIC XE).
   My avatar, Ricky Rat (Mickey's unsavory cousin from the wrong side of the tracks), is the title character from a game I made on that old computer in 1997 called "Ricky Rat in The Hedgemaze". The image is a recent photo of him I took from the (nearly) 50 year-old TV that serves as a monitor for that computer. I cropped it, resized it, cleaned it up a bit to make it more presentable, and 'wallah', an avatar suitable for framing.

A year-and-a-half ago, I began thinking about writing a story concerning a family of RCT3 peeps visiting one of my parks, but I hadn't written anything yet. Then, about a year ago, shyguy started a thread called "Why aren't you posting your projects?" in the RCT board. Good question, I thought. Time to give something back to the community. So after a couple of months thinking about plotting, characters and dialog, I began writing. At first it was going to be text-only, no pictures, posted in the Artists Corner. But I soon realized that the story really cries out for some visuals. And besides, the park that my peep family visits is already finished, so I decided to do a complete presentation, to be posted in the RCT Parks & Rides section.
   As of now, the story is about half done (including screenshots) and is turning out to be rather lengthy, (think Epic Russian Novel, but with humor... much like this post :)). I'm debating whether to upload the first parts of the story now or wait until it's all completed; which won't be for several months. I'm leaning toward the latter because I find myself going back and altering some of the earlier stuff to reflect what I've written recently.
   And then there's the pictures; I've never posted an image before :o. I know I need to make an account at an image hosting site, but which one? Looks like most people use imgur. (How do you say that, anyway? I've been pronouncing it 'imager'.) Photobucket was popular a while back, but then they changed their website's protocols and a lot of people's pics disappeared. What about flickr? tinypic? Any others? What are their pros & cons? I'm confused.

Anyway, that's part of my life history. I could go on: I like sci-fi and fantasy movies/books/TV (Avatar and 2001: A Space Odyssey are two of my favorite movies. Oh, and Star Wars and Harry Potter and Jurassic Park and...), I've got close to 1,000 music/sound effect files in my RCT3 folder, ideas for lots of CS sets I'd like to make- if I ever learn how, stage 4 cancer (in remission since 2005), an enlarged prostate, and tinnitus... but that would be TMI, wouldn't it :P. I know I should've registered here at shyguy's World years ago, but better late than never. I hope to contribute a lot to this community in the years to come.  - JB

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Hello shyguy's World community
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 05:23 PM »
A very warm welcome to you, JB. Glad you finally decided to create an account here. I look forward to seeing your work.  :)

Oh, and as for a hosting site, I use Imgur and it seems fine and quite easy to use. If you have any questions or need help with posting images, don't hesitate to ask.