SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #2 Winners Posted!

• 148 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile

Challenge #2 Winners

T-1st Place - champ01 - 25 pts

T-1st Place - JPAlmighT - 25 pts

3rd Place - Bullethead

Total Scores for Challenge #2
champ01 - 25 pts
JPAlmighT - 25 pts
Bullethead - 18 pts
PhDisney - 14 pts
DragsterDan1987 - 5 pts
FCP-Rug - 6 pts
Forgath - 6 pts
Graystripedkitty - 6 pts

Total Scores After Challenge #2
JPAlmighT - 51 pts
champ01 - 45 pts
Bullethead - 39 pts
PhDisney - 24 pts
FCP-Rug - 17 pts
DragsterDan1987 - 14 pts
Forgath - 12 pts
Turtle - 11 pts
Pietrix008 - 9 pts
Graystripedkitty - 6 pts
Paterdave2 - 6 pts

Challenge #2

Challenge Details:
Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:11 AM by ALT2870 »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #2
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 11:59 AM »
Woah! Now thits a unique challenge! Love it!

Can I ask a favour that you bullet points the requirements for me, struggling to hold the information as I read it.
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Yipes.  I saw that possibility coming, but did not expect it this soon.  I've got so much to do that I may not need Old Man Jenkins to die anymore.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 12:48 PM »
Just to be clear, we are NOT supposed to use the scenario editor to add a 2nd peep spawner by the lake, correct?  Just connect the lake both to the back of the existing park and also separately to the parking lot?
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Pietrix008

• Planet Coaster addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 12:57 PM »
"Create an access route to the beach that leads from the parking lot, down to the beach." is this route a part of the park or should it be accessible without going trough the park entrance?

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 01:13 PM »
That is how I read it Pietrix008

Thank you so much ShyGuy much easier to take in!
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Just to be clear, we are NOT supposed to use the scenario editor to add a 2nd peep spawner by the lake, correct?  Just connect the lake both to the back of the existing park and also separately to the parking lot?
No, you're not supposed to create a 2nd peep spawner. But you may if you like.

"Create an access route to the beach that leads from the parking lot, down to the beach." is this route a part of the park or should it be accessible without going trough the park entrance?
The point is so peeps can access the beach from the top without paying admission to the park. A second back entrance to the park needs to be added so that peeps who are at the park, can access the beach easily. (They'll of course need a hand stamp to get back in the park.

Woah! Now thits a unique challenge! Love it!

Can I ask a favour that you bullet points the requirements for me, struggling to hold the information as I read it.
Done.

Also, I added that you must still stay within the boundary of the ice rink plot.

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Great challenge, but point 2 has confused me a bit.

The assumption is that the access route from our existing parking lot is pedestrian only? Is that correct? Or do we need to build a new road to the beach? The reason I ask is that you mention lake visitors not having to *drive* back up to the main parking lot.

Does this mean the new entrance on the beach side has to be accessible by car?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 03:20 PM »
Does this mean the new entrance on the beach side has to be accessible by car?
Sorry for the confusion. No. The new entrance is for pedestrians hiking up from the beach via the new accessway that you will build. The type and style of this accessway is up to you, but it is for pedestrian traffic only.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 12:43 AM »
Thanks Shy. Presumably, given you mention a boardwalk as one suggestion, we will be permitted (or encouraged) to use the new DLC that arrives with us on Tuesday, but will not be penalised for not purchasing/using it?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 07:50 AM »
....You must not expand past the ice rink....

Well, we have a legal issue here.  The section of beach at the back of the farm parcel has already been developed and there's an access road to this area running across the back of the ice rink parcel.  Because there's no other access to the farm's beach area, this road constitutes an easement across the ice rink property.  We can't get rid of this road without providing Farmer Jenkins an alternative route to the back of his property.  Which would be another easement on the ice rink parcel.

We don't want any easements on our property because they restrict what we can do.  So there are only 2 options:

1.  We buy the beach section of Farm Jenkin's property.  This eliminates the need for an easement because we would then own all that beach.

2.  We pay Farmer Jenkins enough that he'll sell us the easement and have enough left over to build his own road to the front of his property.

Either way requires some changes to the farm parcel.  What's the solution?
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 09:12 AM »
I don't have access to my computer, but what is developed on the other side of the beach?  Do we know that it's something that belongs to Jenkins?  Maybe it belongs to the beach, which is something I can make work in my story.  Also, I think SaladFries tapered off some stuff along the perimeters to imply that it continues, so maybe that road has another access point...   

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 09:57 AM »
We don't want any easements on our property because they restrict what we can do.  So there are only 2 options:

1.  We buy the beach section of Farm Jenkin's property.  This eliminates the need for an easement because we would then own all that beach.

2.  We pay Farmer Jenkins enough that he'll sell us the easement and have enough left over to build his own road to the front of his property.

Either way requires some changes to the farm parcel.  What's the solution?
Since your knowledge of legal procedings is far greater than mine, I leave that decision up to you. ;)

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 10:31 AM »
Objectives 1 and 2 are completely separate objectives.

1. If everyone else agrees...I would say the road on the church property side can be used (the road is public domain???) as the access road down to the beach and can be used and spruced up so it will be a 'true' purpose for this access. Remember this is for easy beach access if they don't want to go through the actual park.

2. This is a true park entry from the beach side. like what you put up by the parking lot. This allows those in the park easy walking access to the beach area, and those that are on the beach (say they were dropped off from the access road in number one...or maybe were dropped of by a boat from the lake) easy access to the park without going all the way up to the parking lot side for that access.

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2018, 12:33 PM »
Correct me if im wrong, but I interpreted the concept for bullet #1 is to provide a non-park pedestrian route to the beach.. The road between the ice rink & church plots has no sidewalks, 4 lanes of high speed traffic, and poor visibility due to overgrown conditions. It is a very dangerous place for pedestrians to walk.

This pathway would effectively be a concession that the park made to the city for the privilege of having a park there. (similar to how irl hotels near beaches are required to provide right of ways through their properties so that the general public can access the beach.). Again, I may be totally off base, but that is how i interpreted it.

Bullet #2 is to provide a park entrance at the beach so that peeps can easily spend part of the day at the beach then conveniently spend the rest of the day at the park (without requiring a huge trek up to the parking lot)..

Effectively, I interpreted it as 2 completely separate pathways to the beach. 1 public & 1 through the park. May be totally wrong though.

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 12:39 PM »
I'm sure we're all overthinking this, but the only new path I'm interpreting is what's needed to connect the park to the beach.  I think Shy wants to see what we'll do to navigate peeps up and down that hill. 

I suppose sidewalks along the streets wouldn't hurt, but I feel like that's the city's problem.  Plus, maybe Old Man Jenkins will get hit by a bus while trying to chase down a cow or something.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 12:47 PM »
I'm sure we're all overthinking this, but the only new path I'm interpreting is what's needed to connect the park to the beach.  I think Shy wants to see what we'll do to navigate peeps up and down that hill. 
Yes.
Bullet #2 is to provide a park entrance at the beach so that peeps can easily spend part of the day at the beach then conveniently spend the rest of the day at the park (without requiring a huge trek up to the parking lot)..

Effectively, I interpreted it as 2 completely separate pathways to the beach. 1 public & 1 through the park. May be totally wrong though.
You only need one pathway to the beach. I meant for the back entrance to the park to be at the top of the cliffs. But I would have no objection if you wanted to create your second entrance at the beach level, although I think that would make things more complicated and would probably require a second walkway for non-park goers.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 12:58 PM »
Thanks Shy. Presumably, given you mention a boardwalk as one suggestion, we will be permitted (or encouraged) to use the new DLC that arrives with us on Tuesday, but will not be penalised for not purchasing/using it?
There are no restrictions on the use of DLC packs. And as far as judging goes, there are no advantages to using it as well.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 07:51 AM »
So, you know when you have an idea, start building something, and wonder why the hell you attempted it?

Well - I've had an idea, started building something, and wondering why the hell I'm attempting it...

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 09:12 AM »
I really hope most all you competitors invest in the new DLC as I think it can make this competition really interesting. Some of the streams showing up today are making it look really good.

Offline Graystripedkitty

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 05:25 AM »
Hi all! I'm fairly new to the game and just found this forum. Is it still possible to join in? I know I wouldn't get points for the first challenge, and that's ok with me.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Shyguy, could I please request a rule from this point on that no filters should be used for screenshots?

I have the Vintage DLC, but others that don’t shouldn’t be negatively impacted by only having the natural screenshots available, IMO.

I think it’s as bad as photoshopping, as it doesn’t necessarily give a representative view of the park. By all means I think we should be able to do sunset/night images, but not filters.

Just a thought. Your call!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Hi all! I'm fairly new to the game and just found this forum. Is it still possible to join in? I know I wouldn't get points for the first challenge, and that's ok with me.
Sure, the more the merrier. And it will make up for those who already dropped out before the 1st challenge. ;)

Shyguy, could I please request a rule from this point on that no filters should be used for screenshots?
Absolutely. No filters and only very minor Photoshopping allowed.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:36 AM by shyguy »

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Thanks!

Could you clarify very minor photoshopping please? Would something like superimposing a real sky count as major?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 10:52 AM »
Thanks!

Could you clarify very minor photoshopping please? Would something like superimposing a real sky count as major?
Minor would be adjusting brightness/contrast, sharpness, minor color enhancement...that sort of thing. No skies. :)

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 11:22 AM »
I thought filters were in the free update though...

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Yes, my mistake. I still don’t think they should be used in the competiton though :)

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 11:30 AM »
Yeah, that's fair.

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 02:05 PM »
Welcome aboard, kitty!

I'm cool with the filters thing.  I have no problem putting all my construction flaws out there in broad daylight :P

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 08:12 AM »
Quick query - are you happy to just see the new flat/tracked ride in the background of another shot that is highlighting hopefully more interesting construction on the beach, the new entrance etc?

I'm not sure I want to "waste" one of my six screenshots on a close up of a flat ride, when I can be showing off some more interesting builds, but am happy to feature them in an aerial overview shot as part of my six.