SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #2 Winners Posted!

SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #2 Winners Posted!

• 148 replies

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #2
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 01:29 AM »
How does one add letters / text?
I came up with a name for my park, but i have no clue how to implement it.
Anyone has suggestions for me?

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2018, 01:50 AM »
Most people make text with the art shapes in game, or other building pieces. A very slow, laborious process.

Or - there are several full font sets on the Steam Worksop which you can download, but many of these produce very large letters.

A couple of examples here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1357505183

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=954303017

Just search "font" on the workshop and you'll find lots more.

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2018, 02:20 AM »
Most people make text with the art shapes in game, or other building pieces. A very slow, laborious process.

Or - there are several full font sets on the Steam Worksop which you can download, but many of these produce very large letters.

A couple of examples here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1357505183

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=954303017

Just search "font" on the workshop and you'll find lots more.
Many thanks for your reply PhDisney, much appreciated information. :)
Ill try to find something to my liking. Else i will just mention the name of the park in the story that comes with it.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 06:18 AM »
Ill try to find something to my liking. Else i will just mention the name of the park in the story that comes with it.

I initially thought it would be hard to make my own signs, until I tried it.  Then I tried it myself and found that, at least if you're making a plain, sans serif font, it's actually a trivial task.  The art shapes are easy to manipulate and form these shapes naturally, you never have to make more than a few different letters, and most words will repeat several of those letters in the words of the sign.  Even making a slightly more interesting font, say italic or with some serifs, isn't really any harder, again because you never have to make the full alphabet.

The main issues are 1) the smallest art shapes are actually pretty big so any custom sign will be much larger than a regular sign, 2) the flat art shape arcs and circles are thinner than the rectangular and triangular shapes, so you have to fiddle with them to get the outer surfaces on the same  plane, and 3) without going to a lot of trouble, your fonts will look just like everybody else's custom signs.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2018, 07:10 AM »
Hope everyone is having fun with this challenge. I've taken on a lot of work with this, but it's getting there slowly but surely...

Four days to go!

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Question, does this new entrance have to be at the parking lot? Or can this new "beach gate" be inside the park at all? 

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 10:34 AM »
Question, does this new entrance have to be at the parking lot? Or can this new "beach gate" be inside the park at all? 

No. It's at the back of your park and can be at the top of the cliff or at the bottom, depending on how you want to do it. If you have a parking lot that extends to the top of the cliff, it could be attached. It all depends on your park configuration.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2018, 10:25 AM »
This is not a complaint at all just talking about how I am finding the challenge.

Hard! LOLOL

I dunno if it is because of how my initial layout was and that it is so compact but linking the parking lot to the beach is not coming naturally to this park AT all ha ha!

That being said I am happy with the effort I have put into the beach itself. I think I might totally fail the points of this challenge but still be like...aww it looks kinda nice.

I do have ONE question though. Can I put a ride on the beach? I am not assuming that the beach is owned by the park or that I will get any points for it being there just... will it lose me points lol
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2018, 11:43 AM »
I dunno if it is because of how my initial layout was and that it is so compact but linking the parking lot to the beach is not coming naturally to this park AT all ha ha!

I've been having the same problem since the get-go.  This is an illogical design requirement that BSI tried hard to talk the town aldermen out of.  But intelligence is not a job requirement for political office, apparently ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2018, 12:19 PM »
All of that response was about 10 smartnesses more than I could understand.

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2018, 12:20 PM »
something something the town council are being awkward?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2018, 12:24 PM »
This is not a complaint at all just talking about how I am finding the challenge.

Hard! LOLOL

That being said I am happy with the effort I have put into the beach itself. I think I might totally fail the points of this challenge but still be like...aww it looks kinda nice.
If you're struggling with creating a functional path down to the beach, you can opt for a non-funtional route. Such as wooden platforms and steps made out of scenery pieces.

I do have ONE question though. Can I put a ride on the beach? I am not assuming that the beach is owned by the park or that I will get any points for it being there just... will it lose me points lol
I think anything you add in addition to the challenge's goals can only be beneficial.

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Cool! Fanks!

I've been slightly panicking that everything I am doing is literally pointless hahaha!

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2018, 01:37 PM »
I'm almost done...

Loved this challenge! Really enjoyed it. I might even post my images tomorrow, if you promise not to copy ;)

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2018, 01:49 PM »
I already know what I am doing so I won't but I can't promise for anyone else lol

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2018, 02:09 PM »
Some mischievous trespassers snuck into the park, but their night vision camera was on the wrong setting. Sadly - they didn't get a proper shot.

(PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS A SNEAK PREVIEW TEASER, AND NOT AN ENTRY!)

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2018, 02:13 PM »
Question. I had to catch up from the first challenge can I show some extra shots of that part of the park or can I only use the 6 mentioned.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Question. I had to catch up from the first challenge can I show some extra shots of that part of the park or can I only use the 6 mentioned.
You can only post 6 screenshots. You will not be judged on anything from the 1st challenge, so your shots should only be of the Challenge #2 goals. If you can see parts of the 1st section in your shots, that's fine. You'll also have a chance at the end of the competition to work more on your entire park and show it all off.

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2018, 07:14 PM »
If we ever do a tracked ride, may we include a POV as extra or does it have to take the place of a screenshot?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2018, 07:54 PM »
No POVs this round.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2018, 02:02 PM »
LAKEVIEW HEIGHTS

Well folks, here we go. I thought I'd be the first this time round. 48 hours early, but I feel I've done all I can for this challenge without adding things for the sake of it. Hope you enjoy my attempt at something unique and a little different.

----

The first thing our park needed was an access point to the beach from the top of the cliff. Why build one, when you can build three? Our lucky guests have the following options:

1) Walk down a zig-zag scenic path, taking in wonderful views across the lake. The walk back up isn't as fun, though!
2) The Lakeview Heights Funicular Railway (LHFR), which really does put the "fun" in funicular! For a modest ticket price, guests can board at the cliff top, and emerge opposite the beach and boardwalk.
3) Perhaps the most innovative way of getting down to the beach, but the laziest, is in the lighthouse themed elevator, which buries down into the groundrock. At the bottom, guests emerge from a tunnel onto the beach. There is also a viewing platform atop the lighthouse to look over the lake, or back across the park. A worthwhile experience!

(Edit: all three routes are fully functional! Alas, I don't have a working elevator or funicular railway, but the path enters the building at the top on both occasions, and then tunnels through the cliff to emerge through the station building door(s) at the bottom. Guests can use all three routes if they so wish).

Image 1

Here you can see the funicular railway station on the left, and the start of the zig-zag pathway beyond the scenic floral plaza.

---

Image 2

Taken from the lighthouse viewing platform, you can see the precarious path to the top of the elevator on the left, itself offering great views. The zig-zag path can be seen in the centre, and the funicular railway can be seen on its way to the beach on the right hand side.

---

Image 3

The beach has had a small development built since our last visit. Some bookable chalets can be seen on the right, with a small car park behind them which is accessed along the beach roadway. These each come with a lounger, which can be seen on the sand in front of them. Also found on the beach is a modest boardwalk, with two restaurants (Subway and Harry Ramsden's Fish and Chips), along with restroom facilities. Behind can be seen the funicular railway station, the entrance to the elevator, and the zig-zag pathway.

---

Image 4

"It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming... football's coming home". World Cup Fever has hit the resort, with a fanpark being constructed on the beach so that the many visiting England fans could watch their team beat Sweden in the quarter-final. Security will have to be upped for the following screening, as two red smoke bombs were smuggled in, set off as Harry Maguire put England 1-0 up...

---

Image 5

The park itself hasn't been forgotten. Here is a simple, yet functional, second entrance, found near the entrance to the elevator on the cliff top. The path to the left, under the arches, takes visitors around the perimeter wall to the main car park, so that they can access the beach without entering the park. The ticket booths can be seen on the right hand side, under the canopies, and of course the main entrance can be seen in front.
Of particular interest is the carousel horse on a pedestal. This, as the plaque in front of it explains, was an original horse from the original 1922 carousel at the old Lake Planco amusement park, long dismantled but never forgotten. It has been restored and sits proudly as a reminder of the past.

---

Image 6

Finally - we have one new ride. With a hot air balloon adorning it, and white mist effects, "Journey Through the Clouds" is a fun ride, just thrilling enough for thrillseekers to enjoy, but not too fast to turn families away. In the foreground is a park favourite - the giant checkers board! Guests can enjoy a game while taking a break from the rides.

---

Well - that's your lot! Had so much fun with this challenge. Really looking forward to seeing what everyone else has done!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:19 AM by PhDisney »

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2018, 02:41 PM »
Wow! That furnicular railway is amazing! That’s such a unique idea, and you got so much done this round! Nice job!

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Wow! That furnicular railway is amazing! That’s such a unique idea, and you got so much done this round! Nice job!
Agreed - that was a great idea and it looks great

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Well folks, here we go. I thought I'd be the first this time round. 48 hours early, but I feel I've done all I can for this challenge without adding things for the sake of it. Hope you enjoy my attempt at something unique and a little different.

Great job!  This looks quite realistic and I wish I'd thought of a funicular ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2018, 01:35 AM »
wonderful entry PhDisney! my compliments :)

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2018, 04:46 AM »
WOW Ph, you totally just raised the bar for the rest of us.  Thanks for giving us the extra 48 hours!

Nice touch with the soccer crowd shot! :D

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2018, 05:09 AM »
Thanks all for the lovely comments.

JPAlmighT - I think you're flattering me a little too much. You guys in the top three last time were a country mile above the rest. I'm just a newbie having fun, building things I find interesting! Nowhere near you guys in terms of skill/ability/building styles etc. yet.

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2018, 06:54 AM »
That's not true and your entry proves that! You're a damn good builder and as you are a 'noobie' probably even better than that!

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2018, 10:10 AM »
STEEP ROCK ADVENTURE PARK

Here at Steep Rock we decided that it would be mutually beneficial if the beach at the foot of the cliffs were to be renovated and made more inviting to tourists and with that in mind we have contributed by partially funding a refurbishment of the beach.

That being said the first problem we had to tackle was foot traffic to and from the beach:

At the top of this QUITE arduous trek Steep Rock has built a second entrance to the park in order to accommodate the beach guests. You can also see our next attraction the butterfly house.

It may look a little bit sparse around the edges here but we didn't want to alter anything until the next phase of building is finalised. That being said if you look into the distance you can see that we have added a second entrance and a roadway inside the park.

As part of the deal fixing up the beach we have convinced the local gov. to run a circular bus service with drop of points at the beach and both entrances to the park for those less...adventurous.

Here are the shots of the beach renovation:

We HAVE done some more work to expand the park and have added a flying scooters to the main enterance of the park expanding it out towards the cliffs more.

and finally a sneak peek inside the Butterfly House:

Thanks for stopping by  ;D

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2018, 10:57 AM »
That's just beautiful, Rug!  A really like your jetties and seawall, and that butterfly house is a great and unique idea.  Also seems the park is living up to its name with that cliffside path ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page