SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #2 Winners Posted!

SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #2 Winners Posted!

• 148 replies

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #2
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Wonderful!

Particularly like the groynes (no laughing at the back!). I was considering something similar but time ran away with me.

A really good entry. I love seeing how we all approach things differently despite having the same map.

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2018, 12:12 PM »
Here goes mine:

Though im able to show more than just a parking lot im still struggling to fill up the spaces between rides / roads, etc. Thats why i found the beach-area to large to fill in, so i cut it in half for now. I probably will extend it later.

Picture 1:
Just in front of the main entree gate a path leads the visitors towards the beach. Its quite the walk so the park is considering to add a transportation service at a later time.

Picture 2:
Close the cliffs a new entree has been build to give beach-visitors the opportunity to enter the park easier, and visitors already in the park have easier access towards the beach.

Picture 3:
The path that leads towards the beach has taken a soft approach. Several platforms have been placed between the stairs to give visitors the opportunity to take a rest as well as admire the view.

Picture 4:
An overview of the beach-area: beach umbrellas brighten up the space. The different colours give guests an easier way to recognize their spot between the others. A few shops and a toilet have been centered in a building so guests dont have to complain about thirst or hunger.  With opening up the beach side also comes the responsibility of taking care of the visitors and make sure they can be taken care of in case of an emergency. So a first-aid and life-guard building is overlooking (on the left) the beach as well as the water.

Picture 5:
During the dark hours the lights create a nice atmosphere for guests who want to enjoy the view towards the water and calm down after a long and hectic day.

Picture 6:
In the meantime the actual park-area has been expanding with a nice family-ride. In old cars guests can enjoy the scenery.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2018, 12:36 PM »
 Great entries, you two.
 Rug, that butterfly house is a great idea and the sea defence rockwork is superb.
PhDisney, you're so not a noob. There's some fabulous ideas in your park and you've made them really well.

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2018, 12:50 PM »
I like the beach plans Forgath, the lifeguard tower, trellis and I dunno what the building is but I like the simple staircase leading to it.

Thanks for the comments folks! :D
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2018, 01:22 PM »
PhDisney, you're so not a noob. There's some fabulous ideas in your park and you've made them really well.

New to the game, honest! Only bought it on Steam in May I think it was.

In all honesty though, I'm just a very creative person. I used to build model railways as a child, and I always enjoyed reading fantasy books which let my imagination run riot. Further to this, I've always had more than a passing interest in theme park design/aesthetics, so I guess this does translate in-game to some extent. The reason I like Planet Coaster is that it gives you such freedom to do what you like, but at the same time, this makes it a steep, steep learning curve. For example, with buildings, I'm still very much of the "only use building pieces and decorations on a grid" way of thinking. Not even attempted to use "wrong" pieces to create interesting features yet. Guess that's my next step.

Forgath: some lovely views there of your park. I love the staircase. Very serene. Just a little tip - if you press Right Control+Right Control+G, it hides the User Interface, and then you can press F12 to get screenshots without any menus etc.

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2018, 01:32 PM »
It is with great pain that I say once more that I need to quit the competition.
I have sended Shyguy an PM to explain a bit more but I can say this that I just don't have the time to do our judges honor for the time they put into this.
I am very sorry.

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2018, 01:54 PM »
Sorry to hear that.

« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2018, 02:17 PM »
[Edited because apparently I didn't refresh the page for several hours and new things happened.]

Rug:  Nice.  Loving the butterfly house; I agree with BH that it's a unique idea, and it's always a nice feather in the cap to be able to say you did something first in this game :) 

Also like that you got your path from top to bottom without stairs.  I was unable to pull that off.

Forgath:  The beach area is what really stands out for me, the trellis with the ivy, the volleyball courts, and the simple building on stilts near the water.  I think your family ride is going to be quite impressive as well and anxious to see more.

PD2:  Sorry to see you go, there will be more competitions and I'll be anxious to see what you do then.  Good luck with the real world stuff.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 02:23 PM by JPAlmighT »

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Forgath---Nice work!  Your approach to the problem is similar to mine.  I really like your beach development and that antique car ride has a very cool layout which I'm sure you'll pimp out more as time permits.

Here's mine....

Bullethead Sweatshop Industries Entry #2

BSI has never before faced such an illogical, not to mention silly, park design requirement.  The city fathers decreed that BSI must drive a route clear through the park from the parking lot to the beach to cater to the hypothetical tiny fraction of potential customers who don't want to visit the Lake Planco park itself but for some strange reason want to bask on its particular tract of beachfront property instead of partaking of the existing beach attractions to either side.  This requirement of course forgets that fact the parking lot, being too small for even the expected flow of park visitors, is reserved solely for season pass holders and the handicapped.  Thus, the only way these beach-only customers can even get to the parking lot to start with is via the pedestrian bridge or the shuttle buses.  So why not just bring them in the back way to begin with, where there is already a road, instead of wasting valuable real estate topsides on creating a route for them?  And as if this silliness wasn't enough, the aldermen also required that BSI build a 2nd entrance on the beach in case the imaginary beach-only customers changed their minds and wanted to return to the parking lot through the park.  However, there was no convincing the politicians that this was all incredibly stupid and wasteful (which isn't surprising, given that politics only exists to give the stupid and wasteful a job), so BSI just went ahead and did what they wanted, in full expectation that this whole misguided thing will be scrapped in short order, once reality sets in.

Providing a route for beach-only customers from the parking lot to the beach means that this route cannot have any connection whatsoever with the real park, to keep these hypothetical folks from using this as a means to sneak into the park itself.  The ideal solution would have been a tunnel under the park but that was deemed too expensive to dig.  So BSI decided the only way to keep these folks properly segregated was to stuff them on a tram.  And the only place available for the tram station was off the A-D corner of the existing main park entrance building, wedged in between that building, the parking lot, and the road down the cliff.  Given that BSI intends to put the eventual backstage area there, as the only remaining real estate with relatively easy road access, the tram route had to come in closely behind the existing main plaza to leave space for the workshops and employee parking.  BSI spent exactly ZERO effort pimping this station out as it expects to bulldoze it next week, once the politicians realize the folly of their ways, and turn the tram into more of park-wide transport system with a MUCH more logical layout, once the properties to either side open up.  But hey, one of the optional objectives was a track ride, so this kills 2 birds with 1 stone.  AND the way to the beach IS functional.

Below is an overview of the Lake Planco beach.  The existing road along the foot of the cliff, which constitutes an easement across the ice rink parcel as long as Farmer Jenkins' property remains independent, was substantially improved.  it still provides access to Jenkins Beach but is guarded at each end to prevent freeloading on the Lake Planco tract.  For Lake Planco Park purposes, this road serves only as the limo entrance to drop values customers off the the Beach Hotel, which also serves as the rear park entrance for any hoi-poloi with second thoughts.  The tram from the parking lot spirals around the hotel tower to a station built into its base.  From there, the hoi-poloi can go enjoy the minimalist boardwalk and other facilities, all while being snubbed by the hotel guests.  This would all have been SO MUCH easier if the beach-only folks could have just showed up at the beach instead of having to traverse the upper park.  Or even better, if there weren't any beach-only peeps at all.  1 price of admission for the whole thing, go do what you want.  Politicians.  Sheesh.

A few notes to the above pic....
  • The walls on either flank are both to prevent non-paying sneak-ins and to overshadow the competition to either flank.  Both gates in the walls are equipped with guard houses and tire spikes in the opposite lanes.  These are pretty much copies of those at the main parking lot entrance.
  • The cul-de-sac road on the left edge, close to the water, is a place where fire trucks can suck up water from the lake to augment that available in the hydrants tied to the municipal water system.  After all, there's a huge high-rise hotel back here.
  • The beach has been smoothed out and fitted with some amenities (including giant cocktail umbrellas made of bunting) but not many--they are mostly intended for the beach-only folks.  It's assumed that the valued customers will bring their own stuff and probably servants to carry it.
  • The boardwalk sells ice cream and water.  The covered areas are actually old picnic pavilions from the original ice rink property dragged down the hill and repurposed for nostalgic purposes (and also because BSI was pressed for time).
  • There was minimal alteration to the cliff face.  The tramway springs across the slope on a large bridge and then spirals around the tower over the base of the cliff.  However, building the tower discovered a natural cave near the base of the cliff so its roof was knocked in and the tower built on the solid ground beneath, mostly inside the resulting grotto.
  • The huge height of the hotel tower is neatly masked by the cliff face so as not to overpower the rest of the park and the surrounding town.  From the upper level, only the top few stories are visible.

Below is a view of the 2nd, rear, park entrance, which is also the main entrance to the hotel area.  If you look closely into the archway, you can see ticket windows, turnstiles, and park entrance gates.  In front of the building the limo passenger drop-off loop around the fountain.  This view also shows how the tramway spirals around the tower.   The tower alone has over 3000 parts and looked WAY better before the bug that extinguished all its lit windows.  As there are a few hundred of these, BSI deemed it not worth the trouble to turn each one on individually just to take this pic, and then have to do it again later once the bug is squashed.  The top of the tower is a helipad for those staying in the luxury suites.

Below is a view from the part of the grotto unoccupied by the hotel, looking back into the hoi-poloi food court, which has a viewing area looking into this grotto.  The tramway circles around the back of the grotto and its queue and exit paths spiral around in the middle, surrounded by falling water on the active stalagmites and stalactites, and mysterious glowing goo dripping from the ceiling.  BSI skimped on the exterior decoration of the building here, as its only visible to tram-trash, and also time was pressing.

Another requirement was to add a flat ride to the park.  BSI chose to install a Tilt-a-Whirl on the opposite side of the main plaza from the existing Big Wheel.  So now the plaza has 3 classic rides:  the Big Wheel, the Tilt-a-Whirl, and a Galaxi coaster in the middle.  The queue building for the Tilt-a-Whirl continues the same general "Steampunk Atlantis" theme as the other buildings although using a lot of Vintage Pack stuff.  Also, the kldged plaza light poles from Challenge 1 were replaced by newer models.  Of special note is the fire pump building and hose shed near the Tilt-a-Whirl queue building.  There's no way to get a fire truck back in here so this building provides the pump and hose necessary to fight fires in this area of the plaza.  It also powers the sprinkler system in the Tilt-a-Whirl queue building.  Also, the paths on either side of the queue building, lined with yellow flowers, are from the emergency exits.

In the background you can see the totally undecorated and TEMPORARY tramway leading to the station at the corner of the front parking lot.  This will all soon be demolished, once the local politicians have seen the light.  At that point, the tramway's main axis will be turned 90^ so it can run to all 3 properties, and there'll be a station at the back of the main plaza.

And finally, here's the inside of the Tilt-a-Whirl queue with stucco ceiling decorations and 1 of the 2 emergency exits.

So that's it for BSI this time around.  Good luck to everybody!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:53 AM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2018, 08:48 PM »
Bullethead, I was laughing the entire time I read that.  I thought I was overthinking this challenge, you came up with a backstory so complex I was expecting an evil twin to show up  :P.   That hotel is classic BSI architecture; I would've known this was yours if I saw it randomly on the web with no name attached.  And your interiors in both challenges are unparalleled.  [Where we had different interpretations of the challenge was I thought the path just needed to connect to the park itself, which is already connected to the parking lot.  I didn't think it had to go around the park.  Judging will be interesting on this one.

Here goes.....

----------------------------------------------

Lake Jeronimo, Season 2:

Working out a deal with the city to connect our park to their new boardwalk/pier was a no-brainer, although it did divert most of this season's budget.  The city allowed us to connect a raised path to the back of the pier (LJP's land starts at the bottom of the hill just on the other side of the road, although they didn't think they'd be trying to work with that steep terrain so soon.)  The city also chipped in on the used ski-lift purchase, as the footpath to the top involves a lot of stairs.  They built the lower station on the pier and allowed us to install gated access to our park to protect our admission pricing.

BUT then, when we asked them to consider changing the name of Lake Planco, they rudely laughed in our faces.  They stuck a big "Planco Pier" sign on the side of the lower station, and would not allow us to use the words "Lake Jeronimo" anywhere on their boardwalk.  So the ticket booths just say "Jeronimo Park."  To retaliate, we tore our sign off the main ticket entrance at the front of our park and affixed it to the side of the mountain, in very plain sight to anyone on the beach.  Sure, now we need a new sign over the entrance, but totally worth it if you ask me.

I do suspect the city has bigger plans for their boardwalk, but it's really none of my business for now.

[Switching to first person narration now because I don't know how to stay in character...]    I tried to keep the footpath interesting the entire way up, giving peeps an option for a longer path that takes them through a flooded pirate cave, where they will see an animatronic jug band going down with their sinking ship.  There are water fountains, seating, and path lighting the entire way up.  Also added the main water feature as a focal point that starts at the top, cascades into several waterfalls and ends up in a shallow lagoon (that is currently off limits to swimmers.)  One of the waterfalls drops directly into the pirate cave, adding to the whole "sinking ship" drama. 

Here's the top of the path, where you can now purchase something besides fountain water to drink if you're thirsty.  [Sorry Bullethead, no beer in the park.  Yet.]   Lake Jeronimo also did a much more elaborate job on their chair lift station, adding an operator observation tower to monitor the ride.

It is a long stair-ridden walk to the top, and we needed to give peeps something for their money and efforts.  So the remainder of the budget went toward adding LJP's first coaster, along with a couple of flat rides and a new sidewalk eatery.  The true story is that I wanted to use the new wild mouse to try building something other than a Wild Mouse, and I was curious how it would support a Galaxi.  (There are pros and cons, but mostly pros compared to the other current options.)

I built the coaster last week, themed it, did some extensive custom supporting improvements, and then just today learned that I botched the whole thing by forgetting to check actual size requirements.  My coaster is (yes, once again  >:()  25 feet too tall.  At 1850 it's only about 200 feet too long, and ride time, drop heights, and average speed are compatible with the real thing.  So my in-game story is that this is the fictional "Galaxy Nova", the much larger stepsister of the classic Galaxi, manufactured shortly before the company went out of business in 1993.  Only 2 of them were built, and we don't know where the other one is so don't ask.

I moved the Tri-Storm from near the front of the park to this new area, replacing it with one of the new flats.  I then played off the name Galaxy and gave the new area a "barely sci-fi" theme, focusing more on the nature aspect, like "hey, let's look up at the stars while we're camping in the wilderness" kind of thing.  Finally, what was supposed to be a basic burger diner ended becoming Pizza Planet, because why make a custom sign when you can combine two existing ones.  The building started as a clone of the hotdog stand down on the pier, but by the end I had swapped out every piece and kind of liked the result, so I'm wasting my last picture on that.  As opposed to the Pirate Cave or a nice overhead.  Maybe next time. :)

Notes:  The only new workshop content added is a different version of the turnstyles for the lower entrance, and Rhian's drinking fountains are again repeated throughout.  The footpath and lower entrance are functional, and peeps have been venturing down to the pier throughout the last week but suddenly became camera shy when it was time for photos.  Whatever.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 05:53 AM by JPAlmighT »

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2018, 10:10 PM »
Damn, JP, that certainly blows my thing out of the water.  Simply gorgeous and so detailed!  There are so many exquisite things in there it's impossible to compliment them all.  But that lifeguard tower, off by itself on the beach, is the easiest to spot because of lack of local competition.  I can only hope that my interpretation of the rules was correct ;).

BTW, what constitutes "classic BSI architecture"?  This is only my 2nd skyscraper and it looks nothing like the first.  Or do you mean it looks like a bunch of random pars I bashed together by brute force, deaf to their imploring cries for mercy? Which is how this happened  :P
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2018, 11:51 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback and compliments :)

That are some awesome entrees Bullethead and JPAlmight!  Well done! :up:

Forgath: some lovely views there of your park. I love the staircase. Very serene. Just a little tip - if you press Right Control+Right Control+G, it hides the User Interface, and then you can press F12 to get screenshots without any menus etc.
That is a very useful tip PhDisney, thank you for that. Ill remember that for the next event. :)

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2018, 04:23 AM »
BTW, what constitutes "classic BSI architecture"? 

I was thinking of all the unique structures in Quarantine Island, especially the spire with the roller coaster where the track is part of the building.  But yes, the Tetragon is a personal favorite, obviously ;P

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2018, 07:18 AM »
That are some awesome entrees Bullethead and JPAlmight!  Well done! :up:

Thanks!  I think we got the rules right as to how the parking lot was supposed to connect to the beach.  I went back and looked through all the Q&A on the 1st page and found this:

...The point is so peeps can access the beach from the top without paying admission to the park...

I KNEW I'd seen that somewhere.  Otherwise I'd have done things in a more logical manner ;).  But it's been a very busy, stressful week so at home and my brain is mush, so I got to thinking recently that maybe I'd hallucinated this requirement, or misinterpreted things.  Now I feel a bit better, about myself anyway, not the design of the park.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2018, 07:24 AM »
I think Bullethead and I studied at the same architecture school in another life. How to improve the local area and resplendent natural beauty? Build a MASSIVE lighthouse and/or hotel that sticks out like a sore thumb. :)

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2018, 08:55 AM »
I think Bullethead and I studied at the same architecture school in another life. How to improve the local area and resplendent natural beauty? Build a MASSIVE lighthouse and/or hotel that sticks out like a sore thumb. :)

The only architectural training I have is in how to dig foxholes and bunkers, and making wickiups ;).

I really thought about draping the spiral tramway with hanging moss to camouflage the tower more, but 1) this would have blocked the views of and from the rooms, and 2) would have been just as much of a pain as building the 2 sets of spiral safety railing on the track already.  Seriously, NEVER build this sort of track---I don't plan to again  :mad:.  So instead I just put solid rows of flower planters around all the balcony rims.  Because NATURE!

Of course, only the guests in the top few stories, above the tramway, will really feel free to get close to nature (as in lounging naked on their balconies).  The rest might have to have a few cocktails first.  Riders of the tram are encouraged to look out across the park, not in at the building, as there are some things you just can't un-see ;) 
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2018, 08:57 AM »
ok guys. we need to talk.

atm i have zero ideas how to start.. zero time to build and zero motivation to get started at all. But i will try to get a park. but iam not shure if i will make it for the competition. maybe i will find some inspirations soon, and then i enter the comp. but for now i need to tell you that i will step down from this. sry shy and sry community but i really didnt find any inspiration, or time to start planet coaster and look into the new dlc at all :S

But for all the contestant i need to say, some really great entries, and i definitly will follow all your progress here!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2018, 09:24 AM »

Quote from: shyguy on July 07, 2018, 01:14 PM
...The point is so peeps can access the beach from the top without paying admission to the park...

I KNEW I'd seen that somewhere.  Otherwise I'd have done things in a more logical manner ;).  But it's been a very busy, stressful week so at home and my brain is mush, so I got to thinking recently that maybe I'd hallucinated this requirement, or misinterpreted things.  Now I feel a bit better, about myself anyway, not the design of the park.

Crap. 

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2018, 03:59 PM »
Crap. 

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission and the quality of your work will surely sway any dissenters :).

You might want to start another topic on using the gridded custom supports for the Galaxy Galaxy-Nova.  That certainly looks quite cool.  I've been thinking of doing an E&F Miler "High Miler" such as the one that famously ended up in the ocean on the Jersey Shore in Hurricane Sandy.  For such things, they use a box grid support framework, and I'd like to have the benefit of your experience before I start ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Are there more entries? I feel like there should be more entries?

Offline Graystripedkitty

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Everybody's entries look great! Here's mine:

Here is the rear entrance to the park. I added a ticket booth here for people who hadn't purchased one.

A plaza near the rear of the park with a flat ride (there is also a carousel near this plaza off-camera).

The trek up and down to the beach is a long one (see later), so I added two viewing platforms for people to rest and enjoy the scenery.

I felt that a dock was more appropriate to the climate than a boardwalk. I wasted a lot of time making custom decking for this out of planks. :-\ In the background you can see some small huts. I figured there were people who would like to go camping on the beach in cabins instead of tents.

I also added a building with food shops, restrooms, first aid, and information for the people who are visiting.

Bird's eye view of the beach, walkway, and ferris wheel.

I am fairly new to the game and don't actually know anything about theme parks so I would really appreciate any tips.  :D

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2018, 05:27 PM »
I don't think you wasted your time with those custom planks at all; the result is worth it.  Not a bad first submission, welcome to the madness  ;)

Online FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2018, 05:45 PM »
I agree! The effort you put in with them shows. Custom woodwork everytime :D

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2018, 08:45 PM »
Great job, GSK!  The custom deck with the planks carefully patterned is really great and I agree, the dock is more appropriate for freshwater :).  Welcome to the madness again!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2018, 10:31 PM »
Welcome back to Chestnut Hill, where the days are long and the fun last longer!  We have a ton to show off to you.  The park has really added a new feature that the whole family can enjoy all summer long.  Let's get into the park and see what is going on!
[/b]

The sunsets here are absolutely incredible.  Especially behind the new Ferris Wheel

Should we ride it next?  I bet the views are incredible up there!

And here's the best part of the park, in my opinion.  The all new beach access.  Looks so awesome!

Walking down the pathway from the park, we have a beautiful scenic overlook. I love this!

Theres a new boardwalk to lead you to the water. You can also go real fancy and rent those cabanas for a day on the beach.

And here's a view of it all.  Who's ready for a day at the beach?

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2018, 11:02 PM »
That's beautiful, DragsterDan!  That last pic with the boulder-lined path meandering down the hill and the gentle lighting is so dream-like.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2018, 12:50 AM »
Graystripedkitty and DragsterDan, great looking entrees! I really need to step up my level of building to be able compete.  :D

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2018, 01:05 AM »
Welcome back to Melody Park! We've got many things to show you today. Unfortunately, our camera can only hold six photos at a time.... We will get that fixed later once we have our budget back. The park definitely used up most of its profits from its opening last season. This season, the park has added a beach access route, several new shops on the beach, a pier, a new area in the park, and a top-spin. Let's take a look....

In the first of our six images, we would like to show you our new side entrance. It's small and quaint, and did not receive much of the budget due to the park foreseeing few guests entering from that side. The side entrance is connected to the parking lot by a small path that branches out from the sidewalk. It's nothing impressive, so we decided to save our pictures for other things.

In the same plaza as the side entrance, a guest will find the very convenient SkyRide system. This system allows guests to be transported up and down the cliff face to the beach and back to the park however many times they please, free of charge.

After you take the SkyRide down to the beach and lay out in the hot sun for a while, a guest could find this beautiful view of the SkyRide and the many beach activities waiting there for them to use. These activities are: laying out in the sun, getting some ice cream from the shop, using the port-a-potties (I would've have shown these off in more detail, but this darn camera.....), walking on the pier, or using the shower (not in the picture, but I did build some, I promise.)

At the end of the pier, a guest will find this magnificent beach-side restaurant. The tower in the center is meant to resemble a lighthouse, tying into the surroundings.

And now, the new area. Welcome to the streets of New Orleans, the home of jazz. This land is themed to the very genre. It features a jazz club on the left side fronted by some beautiful facades, a restaurant named Captain's Palace (inspired by the famous Commander's Palace in the real New Orleans) on the left, and a restroom facade on the left as well. At the end of the street you can see our new flat ride, a top-spin named Swing Dancer (that sign took so longggggg......  :'( :wacko: :'(). Guests will most definitely enjoy this brand new themed area and the new beach investments as well. Thank you for visiting Melody Park, and see you again next  season!

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2018, 03:09 AM »
Eight entries which each showed innovation, imagination, and building skill.

I'm really enjoying being in this competition - I actually feel that the pressure of being publicly judged (in a positive way) brings out the best in us all, and having the specific scenarios and objectives results in more focussed parks than I would otherwise build. A flat sandbox park is all very well, but it can be overwhelming and intimidating. Having a small plot of land to play with on this challenge means more thought, and dare I say realism, goes into each build.

Roll on Challenge 3 - and of course the results for Challenge 2!

« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2018, 04:09 AM »
Whew, sigh of relief.  I went to bed last night thinking we had lost both champ and Dan to the real world.   Not only are they still in, they are REALLY in!  This is the kind of stuff that makes me better.  Or at least, makes me wish I was better.

champ, your Skyride blows my chair lifts away.  I was briefly proud of mine until I saw yours.  But really it always comes back to your architecture for me, you make buildings I can look at for hours, and you seem to just crank them out.  Beautiful.

Dan, I forgot about your mastery of those dusk/twilight photos.  I think I was wiping drool with every picture, but the beach entrance really stood out for me.   

Now, don't ever scare me like that again :P