When to buy, or not buy a DLC ?

• 10 replies

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
When to buy, or not buy a DLC ?
« on: July 10, 2018, 01:40 AM »
Hello all,

im finally getting fun in return for being able to play PC. Now i have found a way to get my computer stable I love looking at all the details and possibilities planet coaster is providing. Ideas in mind i have plenty yet i find the base game not being able to let me create all those ideas. Im leaning towards buying the adventure pack because i like that theme.

Gets me to the question 'when to buy an DLC?' Would you buy any DLC because its there just to have the choice while playing? Or would you buy only the DLC that you like? Or would you buy a DLC because its 'needed' to fit a theme in your park?

What are your thoughts on this?

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: When to buy, or not buy a DLC ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 02:33 AM »
I bought them all at once, because my thinking is that even if it costs full price, it's £32 for the game, and then £8 per DLC. With four DLCs, that's £64. Bearing in mind things like FIFA 19 and the new Fallout game are £55, I think it's a good deal.

Even if you only play the game for 100 hours ever, that's still only £0.65 an hour to be entertained. By the time you clock up 500 hours, which so many players on this game do, you're down to £0.12 an hour.

If you can afford it, get them all.

If you can only afford one or two for now, I would go with Vintage and Adventure. I've rarely used Spooky to be honest, and whilst some of the Studios stuff is cool, a lot of it won't really fit in a classic park.

My personal order of preference:

1. Vintage
2. Adventure
3. Studios
4. Spooky

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 02:52 AM »
I bought the main packs, purely because they open so many more options to build with. They are brilliant value for money as they contain loads of stuff. The festive pack that's in the base game looks on the face of it, quite limited in it's use, but I've found it massively versatile and useful for all sorts of projects. And the DLC packs are the same. I use them all the time, yet I haven't built a Studios backlot. Spooky area or a fully fledged Adventure area yet.
The small packs (although very cheap and Back To The  Future and Knight Rider were 2 of my favourite things growing up} I didn't think they added any value to the game and I thought they were too limiting. However I bought the Munsters pack purely because I needed a couple of the car parts for a ride in my park. I still wouldn't bother with those small packs though as I found the building pieces were again, massive.

So my advise is, if you're building for the fun of building, and you want as many Lego bricks as you can in the box, then buy the DLCs. They're amazing. If you're more into the management and gameplay, then they probably won't add anything to the game.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 03:51 AM »
Compared to other games I've played, the DLC for Planet Coaster is about half the price with well over twice the content.  Just about any purchase pays for itself quickly in terms of time spent.  Frontier has really excelled with this aspect of supporting the game and I can't believe they're not charging more for it. 

I agree with Nemmie that the three movie car packs should go to the bottom of your list; especially if you get the studio pack since it comes with more (and recolourable) car options.  Haven't even opened up the game to see my vintage pack yet (still downloading) but from what I have seen maybe that would be my top choice.  Especially if you want to add some building options for the summer competition.

Offline cap396

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 04:11 AM »
A related question - do the packs ever go on sale like the base game does sometimes?  Anyone want to speculate if Frontier would at some point in the future put all the packs into one big combined pack and sell it little cheaper than buying each pack individually?

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 05:30 AM »
I buy them all, even if I 'think' I will maybe never use them. You never know when a piece or pieces can be just the thing you need for a project you are working on. Also, when the have rides included, it should be a no brainer. As far as costs go...non-issue for me. Not like have money flying out my orifices, but the way I see it it is for $10-12 bucks I will get hours of entertainment and it helps keep my mind in a ever active creative mind set (good for me as my body continues to age). This about what it costs for a burger and fries and drink when I go out to dinner. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 06:58 AM »
Gets me to the question 'when to buy an DLC?' Would you buy any DLC because its there just to have the choice while playing? Or would you buy only the DLC that you like? Or would you buy a DLC because its 'needed' to fit a theme in your park?

I have bought ever DLC the instant it's become available, whether I've been interested in its theme or not.  The 3 movie car DLCs were, as Frontier told us up front, simply to test the waters to see if there was enough interest in the game to warrant doing major DLC.  So I bought them almost completely as a response to a poll and in hopes of something more substantial later, not because they interested me at all.  Frontier got enough takers on these, though, to make all the others (Spooky, Adventure, Studio, and now Vintage), which are all incredible.  These, I bought because I seriously wanted their content.

The big DLCs always contain a good mix of new stuff for most facets of the game, including music and SFX besides the more obvious things like building parts and rides.  The new parts are almost always (except for most of those in the movie car packs) EXTREMELY useful because they can be used to make just about anything.  Stuff you couldn't make at all before, or could only make by some elaborate, part-heavy, and not entirely satisfactory kludge.  And, of course,  you will never have the rides, music, and SFX at all unless you get the DLC.  So IMHO, there is every reason to get the DLCs and no reason not to.  Life in general is so much better having them.

The 3 movie car packs are the least useful, of course.  They don't contain much stuff and none of it is repaintable.  Still, I find some of their parts very useful, such as the Munster lanterns and KnightRider seats.  So I'm glad I got these, too, even though they're of quite limited value compared to the big packs.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline CoastersPaul

• Parkitect Hipster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 09:22 AM »
I bought the car pack because it was the only way to get glass pieces for the longest time  :-[

Then of course I had to buy the adventure pack even though I haven't used much else from it because of the promise of using gems as glass :-\

Looking back, I'm not sure I'd buy all the DLCs, but I've probably used at least some pieces from all of them at this point.

Offline Crisps

• Posts once a year?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 11:33 AM »
I've bought mine based on preference. I watched some youtubers such as geekism on different pack builds, saw a ton of items and features I liked, and bought them then. I still have yet to buy the spooky pack and vintage just because I'm a jobless college graduate, however, I do have full anticipation on buying both of those soon. Ultimately, it's up to your preference. If you see use for a pack, grab it!

Hope that helps!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 10:36 PM »
All DLC packs (except the Vintage Pack) are 15% off on Steam. :)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 01:29 AM »
Thank you all for your feedback!

All DLC packs (except the Vintage Pack) are 15% off on Steam. :)
Thank you for the tip! Im going to buy the Adventure Pack. :)