SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #3 (Winners Posted)

• 156 replies

Challenge #3

Unfortunately, shyguy is temporarily unavailable, so I will be your humble guide for this phase of the competition. Thank you for your patience, and the other judges and I will do our best to fill the big guys shoes!

Here we go!

OK guys, the judges have concurred and come up with something.

You are free to continue the original challenge as posted here, if you have plans or already started. Or you may pick what is behind door #2! Scroll down for Option 2.

OPTION 1

After seeing how well you have improved the beach area, the city council is starting to loosen up a little bit. They have agreed not to fight your plan to purchase the parcel the old church is on given that you preserve it as a historic area. It may also help your cause to add some older style rides or to go with a more relaxed picnic grove route.

Your challenges are as follows;

The city agreed to your purchase of the church property, but insisted the structure must be preserved. Your attorney had to agree that with the purchase of the church property, you agree to completely restore the church area by;

•   Adding a fence around the property (at least 20 feet around the entire church),
•   Add an access area/path to the highway, with a small five space parking lot along the highway for visitors just going to the historic structure.
•   You may use any materials to "restore" the church, however the footprint and roof line must remain the same, the church itself cannot be moved, and the historic front door must remain. You may change out the steeple. 
•   A small mockup/nonfunctional entrance/exit from your amusement park property to the historic church property must be included for park guests who wish to view the historic structure and return, but also keeps out gate crashers.
•   The church area does not actually have to be peep accessible.

Meanwhile, your expansion plans for the church property had already included two possible components. You are free to complete either/or both.

•   Installing at least one flat ride and a new wooden roller coaster of your choice, or two flats, as well as a food and drink facility and a restroom.
•   This new area should have a bit of a retro/vintage vibe to it. Vintage can be considered anything from the 1910s to the 1980s, with absolutely no points lost if not using the vintage expansion.
•   The second component is to create a nature/picnic grove that can handle a couple hundred people, also with a food and drink facility and restrooms.

You must also construct two separate bridges connecting your church and hockey lots spanning the highway.

•   A pedestrian bridge
•   A second bridge for your transport ride (unless you use a skyway) but either way you still have to have guests be able to access the new area.
•   A station for your transport ride must be included near the new amusement area or groves, functional or nonfunctional.
•   No access from the beach to the church plot is needed at this time.

OPTION 2

The city agreed to your purchase of the church property, but insisted the structure must be preserved. Your attorney had to agree that with the purchase of the church property, you agree to completely restore the church area by;

•   Adding a fence around the property (at least 20 feet around the entire church),
•   Add an access area/path to the highway, with a small five space parking lot along the highway for visitors.
•   You may use any materials to "restore" the church, however the footprint and roof line must remain the same, the church itself cannot be moved, and the historic front door must remain. You may change out the steeple. 
•   The new historic church area does not actually have to be peep accessible and it is not part of the amusement park, just a scenic attraction, but the goodwill of the town offsets your cost and inconvenience.

The second part of the challenge is to;

•   Installing at least one flat ride (more is OK) and a new wooden roller coaster of your choice, as well as a new food and drink facility and a restroom on the hockey lot. There should be a small picnic grove near the food stand, large enough for thirty people.
•   The coaster's station needs to be on the hockey side, but the ride itself should cross the highway into the new church area, taking advantage of the interesting topography on that side, but being careful to avoid the historic area.
•   This new coaster and ride area should have a bit of a unified theme to it, utilizing any theme you choose. You may continue with an existing theme.

Seven screenshots are allowed, one of which must show your restored church. You will still have two weeks to complete this challenge, so midnight on August 3rd is the due date. You may include a pov of the coaster, but it is not mandatory and no points will be lost if you do not. Also, it is okay to remove or change anything created in the first 2 challenges.

We want to thank you all for your understanding, patience, and enthusiasm for the summer showdown!

Good luck!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 01:14 PM by shyguy »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #3
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 04:20 PM »
Hope Shyguy is OK, and that he's just chillin' somewhere.

Just to be clear, is everything (other than access bridges) supposed to be built on the church lot?  That is, all of the following:
  • Pimping the church for the local "Hysterical Society"
  • The retro area with wooden coaster and flat
  • The nature picnic area

Or are some of these things supposed to be in the ice rink side?

EDIT:  Also, what's the due-date and how many pics?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:22 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 04:35 PM »
Yes, all these should be on your new parcel, the church grounds.

The due date would be August 2nd at midnight, two weeks from today. I'm sure we can arrange wiggle room if necessary.

The first challenge had 8 pics, the second 6, so how about lucky 7?

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 06:21 PM »
I don't really know what to say here.  If I had followed the rules of challenge 2, which I think most people did, there would already be a non-park exterior path separating our existing park from this plot of land (plus a 4 lane road).   Trying to control peeps who have paid from peeps who have not paid went from difficult to nearly impossible. 

The only option seems to be making the new parcel into a separate park, which now means we're building in 3 parks for this competition.   And linking the two upper parks via paths is going to mean relocating a significant chunk of what I've already built, including a large building and some fairly time-consuming path edging.

Unless I've misunderstood the rules (again), I'm thinking my best bet may be to forfeit the points for this round and hope that I can make them up later.   But I'll seriously in all honesty be cheering from the sidelines for everyone who attempts this.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:23 PM by JPAlmighT »

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 07:14 PM »
I think I understand your concern. I have had several PMs as well inquiring about the conditions. I literally just threw this map together in about 30 seconds to outline what we have done and where this current phase is going.

The red area is of course the first challenge area, and the blue the second. The purple outlines where the current phase of the contest is being held. Much of the rear of this plot of land is unbuildable (or is it?)

The black area shows one way the church easement can be laid out with the parking spaces marked. This is certainly not the only way to do this. The only caveat here is there should be a simple hand stamp area or similar where park guests can step out to look at the church and then quickly return to the park. It is not supposed to be yet another full entrance!

The yellow squiggles and bars represent how the three parcels of land are to interconnect. Of course, the lines are just placed randomly.

Hopefully this little diagram will be helpful. (You may all mock my artistic skill now!)  ;D

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 12:57 AM »
I actually had a similar thought about sitting this one out last night. I was trying desperately to think on how I'd do this one. I think it feels a bit jarring because I've only filled half of the original area since the last area was at the beach.

Don't get me wrong, I decided if the challenge remains I will do my best to complete it but where I found the last challenge difficult I am just seeing this as awkward especially with the second entrance I'd built access to on that road where bridges should be.

I hate to be negative about it. I just need to be honest about how awkward this challenge feels and am a bit worried about not filling my park too.
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 01:01 AM »
Again, sorry for being so negative about it I kow you guys are doing a lot of work for us for free so I feel bad saying.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 03:10 AM »
Keep in mind -- where you have drawn the bridges connecting the two... most people put a non-park path there last week.  This really needs to be contiguous land to build anything remotely realistic.  I can think of one example where a park extends over a public road, but in Dollywood it's just a coaster and the peeps don't have to get out on the other side. 

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 03:17 AM »
The judges are consulting on the feasibility of the entire challenge.

Hopefully no one has begun work yet. Please give us a little time to address your concerns.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 04:19 AM »
Thanks for looking into it.  It's apreciated!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 06:10 AM »
The judges are consulting on the feasibility of the entire challenge.
Hopefully no one has begun work yet. Please give us a little time to address your concerns.

I personally find Challenge #3 to be easier than Challenge #2 both in terms of accepting the potential of such an arrangement happening in real life, and as to building stuff to meet the requirements.  As I don't have much free time for the foreseeable future, I've already gotten started a bit on it.

But be that as it may, this whole contest has "CHALLENGE" written all over it.  Last time I checked, "challenge" means something hard, or something you have to think about, like a puzzle.  Players consent to being pushed out of their comfort zones by signing up.  Also, there's the understanding that because you're playing on somebody else's map, to rules set by other people, players are necessarily going to be making stuff they wouldn't normally be making for themselves, in a different way than they normally do things.  All this means that the real trick is coming up with imaginative ways to meet the requirements, whether you agree with them or not.

I find this sort of thing to be quite fun.  Sure, there is aggravation sometimes when I see challenge requirements that don't necessarily make sense to me, but I'm an engineer.  That's how life works for engineers; mine is not to reason why, mine is to figure out a way to do it anyway.  I find it deeply satisfying to accomplish my set tasks, overcoming all hardships and maybe thinking outside the box to design what the customer wanted but still impose a bit of reality on it, no matter how my results are judged in the end.  I don't do "pretty" and can't compete with artists on aesthetics but I can rig up the "machinery" of the park as well as anybody.  That's where I try to make my points :).

So, I urge the other players not to get too frustrated.  Roleplay it.  Remember, this isn't "your" park in terms of it being a blank slate for you to do whatever you want.  It's a park you're building for somebody else the way that somebody wants the park to be.  You might not agree with the requirements, but meeting them is still fun :).

In any case, BSI is pressing on, smugly patting itself on the back for incorporating a tram to deal with the beach-only folks.  If those folks are still a thing, we can embed microchips in them so they can't get off the tram except at the beach, and thus can use the tram for other purposes in a more logical arrangement than last time :).
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 06:43 AM »
I did make that same point last competition to be honest but there is something about this challenge for me. I did find last challenge difficult but I enjoyed stepping to it.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 07:12 AM »
Thanks for your patience, guys!  We're busy smoothing this out.

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 08:53 AM »
OK guys, the judges have concurred and come up with something.

You are free to continue the original challenge as posted above, if you have plans or already started. Or you may pick what is behind door #2!

•   Adding a fence around the property (at least 20 feet around the entire church),
•   Add an access area/path to the highway, with a small five space parking lot along the highway for visitors.
•   You may use any materials to "restore" the church, however the footprint and roof line must remain the same, the church itself cannot be moved, and the historic front door must remain. You may change out the steeple. 
•   The new historic church area does not actually have to be peep accessible and it is not part of the amusement park, just a scenic attraction, but the goodwill of the town offsets your cost and inconvenience.

The second part of the challenge is to;

•   Installing at least one flat ride (more is OK) and a new wooden roller coaster of your choice, as well as a new food and drink facility and a restroom on the hockey lot. There should be a small picnic grove near the food stand, large enough for thirty people.
•   The coaster's station needs to be on the hockey side, but the ride itself should cross the highway into the new church area, taking advantage of the interesting topography on that side, but being careful to avoid the historic area.
•   This new coaster and ride area should have a bit of a unified theme to it, utilizing any theme you choose. You may continue with an existing theme.

Seven screenshots are allowed, one of which must show your restored church. You will still have two weeks to complete this challenge, so midnight on August 3rd is the due date.

We want to thank you all for your understanding, patience, and enthusiasm for the summer showdown!

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:55 AM by citytrader »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Some videos of a coaster that spans a road, for inspiration:   ;)

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 11:27 AM »
You guys, thank you so much for the prompt attention and beyond reasonable solution you came up with.  I was perfectly content forfeiting my points on this one because I know the other guys would've come up with something good.  I apologize for any mess I created and hope I didn't hurt anyone in the process.

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 11:35 AM »
Thanks all!

Can I clarify one thing - if we choose option two, there is NO obligation for anything to cross the road in the gully down to the beach other than the wooden coaster? In other words - we do not need to build the two bridges, but can do so if we wish?

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 11:43 AM »
JP, no problem, no worries. We're glad you guys expressed concern rather than just have the contest fall apart. It is supposed to challenging, but it's also supposed to be fun!

PhDisney, Sure, you can still build the two bridges if you want. But to clarify, we would like to see the coaster cross the highway into the church lot, but this is not mandatory, and the station remains on the hockey lot.

I guess we should also say that you should pick either option one or two, but not try to combine them.

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 11:57 AM »
I will try my best on this one but time will be limited for me (vacation coming up). I hope to find 3 evenings to make something for this contest.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Could I politely request that a POV for the coaster might be required as well as 7 screenshots? Not necessarily to be judged, but purely to give the other contestants and the judges an idea of where the coaster goes.

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 01:40 PM »
I'm not sure if my computer can handle making a POV. I could probably have someone else film it for me, but that might be a problem for other people as well.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 01:49 PM »
Ah fair enough - no worries then! :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 03:08 PM »
I'm glad everybody's happy now.  I look forward to seeing these road-crossing coasters ;).

BSI is pressing on with the original plan as that works better for me and I've already got a good start on it.  It doesn't sound as cool as a road-crossing coaster but I hope I can make up for that with the rest of the project :).

BTW, for those concerned about the gaps in the park created by challenges here and there, don't fret.  These things always have a final round to do whatever you want to finish the park off, fill gaps, etc.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 05:16 PM »
The judges have agreed that one POV of your coaster is acceptable, but not mandatory.

It will not affect anyone's points.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2018, 06:12 AM »
Today, I learnt that I am far more likely to put my fist through my computer screen trying to build a coaster, than I am with trying to use the path system in-game.

Wow is this frustrating.

"Brilliant! It looks great! Oh - fear rating of 57.3"

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2018, 07:36 AM »
Today, I learnt that I am far more likely to put my fist through my computer screen trying to build a coaster, than I am with trying to use the path system in-game.

I recommend this tutorial by Silvaret.  I found this quite helpful when I was 1st getting into this game.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2018, 08:01 AM »
Thanks, I’ve watched that a couple of times before. Really useful.

My main problem is making use of the incredibly hilly ravine, as it doesn’t lend itself to long sweeping curves and hills.

I guess that’s why it’s called a challenge! Really tough this one.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Coasters are scary for me to build but I relish that aspect of the challenge! My brain is like the Knights who say ni...it wants....a shwubbery!

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2018, 11:12 AM »
QUESTION: according to the map above, the road to the beach does not belong to us, yet we have to cross it with either a path/transport ride/coaster.

Are we permitted to edit the land IMMEDIATELY roadside on each side, providing we do not touch the road itself?

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Is it too late for me to enter? How do I get ahold of the blueprint? I'd love to join the competition if able....if not, I'll do the next one.
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.