SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #3 (Winners Posted)

SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #3 (Winners Posted)

• 156 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #3
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Is it too late for me to enter? How do I get ahold of the blueprint? I'd love to join the competition if able....if not, I'll do the next one.
I don't believe there was ever a deadline to enter listed anywhere. I say yes, the more the merrier.

QUESTION: according to the map above, the road to the beach does not belong to us, yet we have to cross it with either a path/transport ride/coaster.

Are we permitted to edit the land IMMEDIATELY roadside on each side, providing we do not touch the road itself?
If you need to terraform around the road to make your design work, that's fine.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Can we take out/retheme rides/rollercoasters that we built in previous challenges? This challenge has definitely radically changed my plans for my park.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Is it too late for me to enter? How do I get ahold of the blueprint? I'd love to join the competition if able....if not, I'll do the next one.

I'd welcome measuring swords with you, Lux.  You'll surely teach me a few tricks ;)

The park map we're working with can be found in the OP of the Challenge #1 thread, along with the requirements for that challenge.
http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,20694.0.html

Then there's the Challenge #2 (just judged) thread here:  http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,20722.0.html

And you already know about this thread.

Of course, whether the judges let you in or not is up to them.  But I hope you play along whatever they say ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Can we take out/retheme rides/rollercoasters that we built in previous challenges? This challenge has definitely radically changed my plans for my park.
I don't see why not. If any of the other judges objects, let me know.

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Fine with me. We didn't say they couldn't remove items from previous objectives (except BH can't remove the tram...LOL)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2018, 09:39 PM »
Fine with me. We didn't say they couldn't remove items from previous objectives (except BH can't remove the tram...LOL)

The tram's staying.  It was always planned as part of the park.  That's why I spent so much time making it spiral around that damn tower (actually, the real bitch was the double set of spiraling guard rails).  And now it crosses the gorge over the highway to the church on an awesome dual carriageway bridge, and has a station at the back of the ice rink plaza.

What I want to remove is the silly beach-only station at the front parking lot, for 3 reasons:

#1:  My park has an admission fee and then charges additionally for every ride, shop, and hotel.  So, if all you want to pay for is admission, all you can do is go lie on the beach.  Which is beach-only, and you can get to the beach through the park via the tram at any of its other stations, including one on the main ice rink plaza.  If you don't want to pay any more, then you can't get on the rides anyway.  So there's no valid reason to have a separate route just for beach-only folks.

#2:  The station by the parking lot and the loop needed to turn the trams around cuts into the area I have reserved for the future backstage area for this half of the park.  That real estate is in the only place where a separate entrance for employees and service deliveries can be had off the gorge road, due to how that road cuts down into the cliff not far from the crossroads.  And I'd rather come in off the gorge road so as not to have the service entrance beside the main public entrance on the major highway.

#3:  There's a REAL tram station now on the back of the main ice rink plaza, which is just around the corner of the plaza from the current beach-only station at the parking lot.  So having the beach-only station only saves the slackers walking about 70m.  Given that I don't care about these jerks at all, as they don't want to spend any money, I see no reason whatsoever to penalize myself and my future plans simply to save them a few steps.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2018, 10:13 AM »
I have updated the first post of the challenge's goals and added the option for a pov of the coaster, as well as the option to change or remove anything you want from the first 2 challenges.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Appreciate it, Shyguy!  I'm really enjoying this challenge so far.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2018, 02:43 AM »
I have a few questions:
- I managed to create a wooden coaster but does it need to have certain requirements? As in tracklenght, or excitement.
- The way i read option 2 in the challenge is that, besides part of the coaster track and the area around the church, there will be no building on that area? Or am i mixing things up?

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2018, 05:15 AM »
My impression is:

Option 1 is to build things on the church side leaving space for the church and having bridges over.

Option 2 is to have the coaster go over to that side crossing over the road but the building should be on ice rink side for this one.
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2018, 04:29 PM »
I may be a bit late to the party but  :sweat:
Spoiler (hover to show)
Warner Movie Worlds
(pardon my french!)

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2018, 07:57 PM »
I may be a bit late to the party but  :sweat:
Spoiler (hover to show)
I like....

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Whoa...   :o

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2018, 08:54 PM »
I have a few questions:
- I managed to create a wooden coaster but does it need to have certain requirements? As in tracklenght, or excitement.
- The way i read option 2 in the challenge is that, besides part of the coaster track and the area around the church, there will be no building on that area? Or am i mixing things up?
There are no size requirements for the roller coaster. And you are not required to build anything else on the church property, besides restoring the church itself. On the other hand, there's nothing in the rules preventing you from building more on the church property, if you want to.

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2018, 01:32 AM »
A query for option 2:

With the picnic grove, would you accept an outdoor seating area for a restaurant?

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2018, 04:02 AM »
Yes. Option two says you must have a small food/drink establishment, a restroom, and a picnic grove for 30, or about five or six tables. Of course you may "adapt" that to be a seating area for the restaurant.

The large 300 seat picnic grove is for option one.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:12 AM by citytrader »

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2018, 06:27 AM »
Something I didn't understand. Should the picnic area be part of the park or accessible from outside?
Probably because of my English, I didn't understand this : "A small mockup/nonfunctional entrance/exit from your amusement park"
Warner Movie Worlds
(pardon my french!)

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2018, 06:40 AM »
What that means is a fake entrance, the peeps do not really use.

Are you working on option one or option two? You don't need to worry about the entrance for option two.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2018, 07:38 AM »
Something I didn't understand. Should the picnic area be part of the park or accessible from outside?

Or both?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2018, 08:08 AM »
Either picnic area, the large 300 seat for option 1, or the small 30 seat for option 2, should be within the confines of the park without another entrance.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Wonderful Neitsab!

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2018, 02:24 PM »
*sees Neitsab’s screenshot*

*gives up*

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2018, 12:50 PM »
It's all gone quiet on here!

Just thought I'd give a quick update. As a new player, this has given me so much joy. The stats for my coaster in progress below: my first EVER all green coaster! :)

No scenery added yet either, so hoping to get the excitement up a bit more, but delighted with progress so far. Hope everyone is having fun.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2018, 01:14 PM »
...my first EVER all green coaster! :)
Congratulations! :D

No scenery added yet either, so hoping to get the excitement up a bit more
Unfortunately, adding scenery does absolutely NOTHING to the excitement level.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2018, 01:32 PM »
Unfortunately, adding scenery does absolutely NOTHING to the excitement level.

I was talking about my excitement level!  ;D

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2018, 03:11 PM »
It did used to contribute to excitement didn't it? If you had any scenery overhanging it would make the peeps duck it and I thouughht that it had an impact on the excitement of that piece of track.

Am I remembering wrong?!

Congratulations on the green coaster!

I was a bit bleurgh on this one but with the new option I did a bit the other day and suddenly REALLY got into it! Now I am quite excited lol! I am a bit worried about my coaster layout but I have been enjoying the rest of the challenge and theming the coaster! I do enjoy these challenges!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Just thought I'd give a quick update. As a new player, this has given me so much joy. The stats for my coaster in progress below: my first EVER all green coaster! :)

If you're happy about it, I'll be happy with you.  FWIW, however, as a practical matter for future reference, IMHO what the game shows as "green" for fear is too high as this is too scary for about 80% of all peeps.  There's an old thread around here somewhere about "meet your average customer" with a lot of data I did on peep fear and nausea tolerance, among other things.  Anyway, for teen/adult-only coaster, I try to keep the fear around 4.0-4.2 at most and if I want kids to go on it, 3.6-3.8.  Otherwise the ride just won't be very popular because its customer base is only a small subset of the total population.

It did used to contribute to excitement didn't it? If you had any scenery overhanging it would make the peeps duck it and I thought that it had an impact on the excitement of that piece of track.

Scenery contributes to prestige, which is a combination of the ride's excitement, duration, and scenery.  The headchopper scenery objects you add contribute to fear for that section of track.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2018, 01:46 AM »
Feeling a bit burnt out with this challenge. Happy with what I've done but it's beginning to feel a bit more like a chore than the previous challenges.

Hoping Challenge 4 is a nice compact challenge to give us all a bit of respite. I've found the first few challenges to be quite expansive in nature, and when there's three in a row, with no break between them, it can be tough to keep the enthusiasm up.

Not a criticism of the judges or competition runners - it's just really tough when combining this with real life, as I don't my standards to drop.

Anyone else feel the same? I don't know if maybe we need a one week break in the middle of the competition, or whether Challenge 4 can be something REALLY compact, like building a dark ride on an X by X size grid or something.

I want to reinforce that I am enjoying the competition immensely - just feeling that towards the end of this challenge that it's starting to be harder work than it should be, and I worry that the fun factor will drop.

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2018, 02:29 AM »
I agree with you that challenge 3 has been, well, challenging.  It takes me longer to build coasters than it does to build other things and I never know if I've built them right.  (Usually I haven't.)  On top of that I didn't save much land in the area that we're supposed to be building on, so I've had to re-work a lot of previous stuff.   That, and the challenge itself is much more expansive than most previous challenges I've seen:  We're building a coaster, flat ride, eatery, restroom, refurbishing that entire church plot, and then all the path work that connects it all.  It's a lot.

Having said that, some of the changes I had to make ended up being better overall for my park.  A couple things have turned out well and others are still very much works in progress requiring constant revisions.  Not even sure if I'll finish everything I want to get done in time, but I'll definitely have something to submit by the end of the week.  And still, it's a little more fun than normal park building because it really does feel like I'm playing a game now and every decision matters, whereas the stakes aren't as high during normal builds.  It is fun and I think it will be worth it to stick through.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2018, 02:54 AM »
Indeed. I agree with the point that some of the revisions have improved the park too. That's happened in my case, also.

I feel a bit better now that I have realised the deadline is Friday. For some silly reason, I had Tuesday in my head! Pressure off slightly now, although now I've seen Neitsab is entering, we're all playing for 2nd position ;)