SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #3 (Winners Posted)

• 156 replies

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #3
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2018, 03:59 PM »
You really did go big on that! Very interesting take, I love your plaza the most, very bright and inviting. The coaster is hard to get a sense of the layout but what you can see of it is awesome!

Holy Cow that Holiday in is so outlandish! It is TOTALLY what a holiday inn would do ha ha ha!

Great entry!
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2018, 04:26 PM »
Um, I thought you said you were new at this?

The hotel itself is photo-realistic.  The coaster track looks unique and exciting, I can't wait to ride it.  I really like the mill building and really, REALLY, like the waterfall over the track.  Those subtle touches make all the difference.   :up:

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2018, 09:30 PM »
Yeah, I think PhD's a ringer ;).

Very impressive coaster / hotel combo, definitely a unique idea :).  And the new fantasy area is quite charming.  But I really like the architecture of the info center at the church.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Here's mine, this is Option #2.

We didn't disagree with the tight restrictions the city placed on the church restoration; historic structures should be preserved in original condition as much as possible.  Mostly we just stripped off some shoddy repair work and cleaned up the original sandstone, patching with matching materials.  We excavated some land to get at the foundation, uncovering a cellar, some pathwork, and original front stairs.  Stained glass and a new roof was added, and otherwise just some minor cosmetic cleanup.  We used our ability to match the sandstone to add some new elaborate trellis work to the property, found a larger bell and a period-relevant fountain.  We also took the hinges off the front doors and embedded them in a smaller door frame that was more human-appropriate, now they slide like barn doors.

Examining our city contract carefully, there were no stipulations on landscaping or what we were allowed to grow.  Like fruit.  And there was also nothing preventing us from extracting the juice of that fruit, storing it in the newly found cellar to allow it to ferment, and then selling it in bottles.  The property is still open to the public as required, with adequate parking and a fenced perimeter that exceeds city requirements.  And that is how Lake Jeronimo Winery came to be.

For our third season, our owners tasked us with adding more to the Night Sky area that we thought we finished last year, reminding us not to go "too sci-fi" with it.  So this flat ride themed to a 70's era rocket seemed to fit well.  "Mission Control" is a NASA-themed gift shop across the path from it.

There's a lot happening in this next photo, as apparently our park photographer was only paid to provide 6 photos, probably because of how much money we spent on the land across the road. So here you see that Pizza Planet has been relocated to the cliff edge at the back of the park, with a new restroom facility across the path and an outdoor dining terrace between them.  The terrace looks down on the beach.   We also tossed in a kiddie flat since there hasn't been much for little kids in this park.  But the big news in season 3 is our new coaster "Fireball", an RMC designed to take advantage of the new land across the road.  It was really the only feasible way to utilize that land, and we needed something big in the park, especially since Old Man Jenkins doesn't appear to be dying soon.  Fireball is themed to the local urban legend that this mountain was once bombarded by a devastating meteor shower.  (Or several showers, as the theming seems very vague on a timeline.  Did this happen last night, or 60 years ago, or both?  Was the lake itself created by a giant meteor, killing off a bunch of dinosaurs in the process?  Sometimes it's best not to overthink it.)

We added a new observation platform for night patrons to do some stargazing, although during the day most people just like to watch the trains go over the lift hill.   The track drops significantly before the lift hill, and drops again on the return, because we didn't want two bridges suspended several hundred feet above that road.  It would've been expensive, and unlikely in the real world.  Which this totally is, meteors and all.  Note the sidewalk down below, the city has been adding a lot of sidewalks to the area now that Planco City seems to be growing so quickly.  We're expecting to hit 12,000 in the next census.  With those sidewalks technically our parking lot is now pedestrian-connected to the beach, something the city wanted us to do last year but we laughed at them.  That is why Lake Planco is still called Lake Planco.

And finally, and the real reason we had to move the Pizza Planet, is because the owners have a contract with Bullethead Beer, which they serve in all their parks.  Lake Jeronimo is the first park to feature an onsite microbrewery and restaurant, mostly to take advantage of limited in-town options.  The Planco Gazette gave it 4 stars, saying "much better than McDonalds."  Business has been good, (despite this photo) with plans to add a streetside entrance for non-park guests.

That girl sitting at the bar is not even a patron, she's an employee.  Becky, get back to work!

This 7th photo is actually from Google Earth, we were so happy to find out about it because the previous photo for this location still showed the ice rink.  This shot gives away our Wild Mouse coaster that wasn't finished in time for the start of this season, and a few other random flat rides that keep getting moved around and haven't found permanent homes yet.  But enough about that, let's go get some steak and beer, and maybe this time next season we'll be able to celebrate with a bottle of wine :)

[Sorry guys, I know you wanted an overhead so I didn't get to show much coaster, and also couldn't get closer to the new patio and restrooms.  Hopefully the restaurant (which has a bathroom) covers those requirements.]

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 10:09 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2018, 02:08 AM »
My word I could talk for hours about what I like here.

Great interior, blast off looks ACE and your renovation has a lot going on for the visitors!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2018, 09:54 AM »
A brewery AND a winery?!?!?!?!?  Automatic win.  Especially with the name of the brewery  :up:

That's a lot of outstanding stuff there.  Where do you get all these great ideas?  Like turning the hammer swing into a launch tower?  Jebediah Kerman approves ;)  That coaster looks really cool, too.  What is that about 3/4 mile of track?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2018, 10:10 AM »
A brewery AND a winery?!?!?!?!?  Automatic win.  Especially with the name of the brewery  :up:

I drink.   :P

That's a lot of outstanding stuff there.  Where do you get all these great ideas?  Like turning the hammer swing into a launch tower?  Jebediah Kerman approves ;)  That coaster looks really cool, too.  What is that about 3/4 mile of track?

It's actually the insanity ride, the hammer swing wouldn't fit in the space.  That's why I had to go extremely retro with the sci-fi, to make it look less modern.

And yeah, lots of track.  Dollywood's Hot Rod is 3000-something, and this went up to 4000-something.   Still rides at barely over a minute, I think.  And Dollywood has a hydraulic launch, but we couldn't find one.  She gets all the fun toys.

And in the interest of full disclosure, your microbrewery was cloned out of Expo City, scaled down and re-themed.  And I had to resize the Galaxi to make all this new stuff fit, so I took your track and copied it nearly piece by piece, except with the new wild mouse.  That time saver definitely earned you a few upgrades to your steakhouse :P

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Oh my gosh!

How did I miss the incase of fall sign!!!! Pah hahaha!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2018, 03:16 PM »
And yeah, lots of track.  Dollywood's Hot Rod is 3000-something, and this went up to 4000-something.

I look forward to a POV :)

And in the interest of full disclosure, your microbrewery was cloned out of Expo City, scaled down and re-themed.  And I had to resize the Galaxi to make all this new stuff fit, so I took your track and copied it nearly piece by piece, except with the new wild mouse.  That time saver definitely earned you a few upgrades to your steakhouse :P

Hehehe, cool ;).  Please post some pics of what it looks like with the gridded WM supports.  Or upload your version of it so I can ride it ;)

How did I miss the incase of fall sign!!!! Pah hahaha!

Probably for the same reason I'm still missing it.  So please tell me where it is :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2018, 03:20 PM »
First pic, bottom right, straight on till morning.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2018, 03:59 PM »
First pic, bottom right, straight on till morning.

Hehehe, I was looking at the coaster (meteors falling) and brewhaus (drunks falling).  Didn't notice that.  So, its that some sort of scoop stretcher prepositions for winos?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2018, 04:31 PM »
AH.  D'oh!  :n00b:
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2018, 01:17 AM »
LAKEVIEW HEIGHTS - WOODWORM POV

Changed my mind on the POV. I've also added it to my screenshot post, so the judges can find it.

Technical note - does anyone know why I couldn't record the video in anywhere near high quality? I've had to turn Planet Coaster down to medium, and downscale OBS recording to something ridiculous like 1080x720. When trying to record in high or ultra, I had lags of about 4-5 seconds where the FPS simply reduced to 0.

My specs are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16GB
GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2018, 03:15 AM »
Changed my mind on the POV. I've also added it to my screenshot post, so the judges can find it.

Wow, that's pretty intense :)  Fun ride!

Technical note - does anyone know why I couldn't record the video in anywhere near high quality? I've had to turn Planet Coaster down to medium, and downscale OBS recording to something ridiculous like 1080x720. When trying to record in high or ultra, I had lags of about 4-5 seconds where the FPS simply reduced to 0.

I use OBS myself and find it rather limited.  It's primarily a streaming tool (hence the "Broadcaster" in its name) and video recording is 2ndary.  The broadcasting resolution is pretty low and doesn't have the same settings as the recording resolution.  If you set the recording resolution to anything other than "same as broadcast", you get a warning message saying this will greatly increase CPU usage, EVEN IF YOU"RE NOT STREAMING, simply recording.  I therefore find it impractical to record at any resolution higher than 720p.

But that's OK.  First, YouTube doesn't support really high resolutions anyway so there's no need to get above 1080p.  Second, I don't have particularly good bandwidth so find 720p videos about the most I can both upload and watch in a reasonable time.  I watch most videos on 480p anyway.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 05:32 AM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2018, 04:06 AM »
Great ride, I was right that it never gets boring.  From what little I know of coasters that was a great track layout, glad we got the POV.  I really like how much of the ride happens before we even get to the lifthill.

The video quality seemed fine, but I know your struggle.  I've worked my butt off for some POV's that rendered fine but never translated to HD on Youtube.  I dont know anything of OBS (it was over my head), and cheat engine helps but I dont like losing the in-game sound and it takes forever to record.  Simply put, videos are a (sometimes necessary) pain.  :(

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2018, 04:07 PM »
Many nice entries this time again! A few words about each creation.

@Bullethead : So much work! I really like the choice of aviation theme, and I find that there are many good ideas and clever uses for the objects of the Vintage Pack. The bridge is really superb!
@Forgath : If there are things to be said about the constructions themselves (which lack details for example), I find that there are increasingly I really like the floral roof. 

@FCP-Rug : The station of your coaster is very well done The view from that flat ride must be incredible!

@PhDisney : Your park is really picturesque... I like it!
I like the consistency, the choice to preserve the church for example.
Your coaster is... amazing! It's not usually my style, but I think it's well done.

@JpAlmighT : Your restaurant is great. I love the exterior architecture, and I must say I still prefer the interior, it's very complicated to do something so successful. Your storyline is very good too.
_

Arcadia Park
S3

Life goes on at Arcadia Park... but wait.. what is this ?

Indeed... After a long power struggle with the municipality, the park manager finally managed to obtain an extension of land located near the old church. And this, on the only condition of giving back its former glory to the church... Let's discover together "Circus World" and the new attractions of Arcadia Park.
From Arcadia Park, you can easily reach this new state with either a pedestrian bridge or a monorail shuttle linking the two areas.

Circus World takes you back to the golden era of the 1930s, to a colourful city that discovers the joys of carnivals and circuses. As soon as you leave the monorail station you will find yourself in front of typical buildings.In these buildings you can find typical vintage games, arcade games, but also restaurant points and places where you can quench your thirst.

The old church has been completely restored. It recovers a beautiful and large steeple and planks of yesteryear that had long since fallen.
New stained glass windows have also been installed... There is now also a small tourist office right next to the church.

Back in the park, you can find a huge picnic area that can accommodate several hundred visitors who can enjoy a meal in the shade of the oaks. From this terrace you can also enjoy a beautiful view of the church.

Finally at the end of this Circus World you can find new buildings which plunge you in this vintage universe.
This is also where you can find the entrance to Circus World's main interest: its magnificent wooden coaster : MAD CLOWN

This wooden-coaster looks like vintage coasters thanks to its white supports. But it is actually a brand new GCI wooden coaster. 1 minute 30 long, the ride is suitable for the whole family although it goes up to 85km / h!

So that you can better understand the organization of this new area which also includes another ride (flying chairs "Flying Circus"). This is an aerial view taken with a drone. By zooming into this aerial view, you should be able to discover many hidden and subtle details that you may not have seen in the other photos.
I hope you enjoyed your visit!
Anyway, Arcadia Park is growing very fast... I can't wait to see what surprise the park will bring us in the future...

Spoiler (hover to show)
Warner Movie Worlds
(pardon my french!)

« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2018, 06:18 PM »
The bridge is great, mostly I like the two rows of buildings.  I feel like I can learn a lot about making structures from non-gridded pieces by examining your photos.

The stained glass windows are clever, makes me want to come up with a sacred cow joke...  :P

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Welcome to the party, Neitsab!  And thanks for the compliments on my park.  Also nice to see somebody else did Option 1.  I was afraid I was all by myself there.

I really like your bridge, too.  And that custom sign on it is phenomenal!  The church looks quite realisitic--I've seen quite a few with a similar style.  And then all the madness of the Circusland buildings.  Geez, that's just a riot of stuff :).  I especially like the Mad Clown face ;).  Great job!

I just have 1 nit to pick.  I think your pics would be better if you took away the blur around the edges.  To me, it makes your park look like a small-scale model instead of a full-size place.  But maybe that's just me.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Neitsab, assuming you are going for option 1 requirements with this entry? THX

« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2018, 07:37 PM »
Welcome to the party, Neitsab!  And thanks for the compliments on my park.  Also nice to see somebody else did Option 1.  I was afraid I was all by myself there.

I really like your bridge, too.  And that custom sign on it is phenomenal!  The church looks quite realisitic--I've seen quite a few with a similar style.  And then all the madness of the Circusland buildings.  Geez, that's just a riot of stuff :).  I especially like the Mad Clown face ;).  Great job!

I just have 1 nit to pick.  I think your pics would be better if you took away the blur around the edges.  To me, it makes your park look like a small-scale model instead of a full-size place.  But maybe that's just me.
BH does not like the tilt-shift look. I think everyone submits at least 1 photo in the next round with that to see how far we can push him!!! LOL!  ;D ;)

« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2018, 12:29 AM »
Neitsab, assuming you are going for option 1 requirements with this entry? THX
Absolutely !
I know that the tilt-shif effect is not liked by everyone. But in PlanCo just like in real photography, I must say that I like the look it gives to pictures...
Warner Movie Worlds
(pardon my french!)

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2018, 04:10 AM »
I don't know what the tilt shift look is or how to do it but I'm in...

Nietsab, amazing entry and fair play for you catching up so spectacularly!!! Another entry in could rave about  love the bridge, church and facade!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2018, 12:52 PM »
BH does not like the tilt-shift look. I think everyone submits at least 1 photo in the next round with that to see how far we can push him!!! LOL!  ;D ;)

I just think it does the park a disservice.  In real life, neither the human eye nor cameras have that much difference in focus over such large fields of view so it just looks fake right off the bat.  The only time you see that sort of blurring is when taking a close-up pic of something really small that's also very close to the camera, but at a medium distance compared to other objects in the same field of view.  Such as 1 ant in the middle of a herd of them, so the ant in the center is in focus and those nearer and farther away are blurry.  Or a building in the middle of an N-gauge model railroad layout is in focus and its surroundings are not. 

In such cases, the blurring is due to having to focus on something so close to the camera that everything else is necessarily blurry.  But this doesn't happen where the distance between camera (or eyeball) and subject is measured in  units larger than inches.  That's just how the whole lens thing works, whether it's in an eyeball or a camera.  So, when you apply the edge blurring to a pic in PC, it does nothing but make it look like you built a small-scale physical model like Shyguy instead of a full-size place full of real humans, because that's the only way to get that sort of blurring.  Which is a silly effect to put on what's supposed to be a full-size place.  It just looks so obviously contrived.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Today is the last day to submit your entry! I hope to see some more entries for this challenge.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2018, 02:21 PM »
After seeing everyones stuff, maybe I shouldn't post my stuff haha.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Please do! As long as you are having fun keep entering! If unsure go for posting anyway just for our sake :D

« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2018, 06:45 PM »
After seeing the amount of creativity and talent in this round, I'm not going to lie, I wasn't sure I wanted to post anything.  This was a fun one once I got a theme down.  I hope everyone enjoys.

………..……………………………..

Welcome to the all new boardwalk in the park!  Food, Games, and of course RIDES! Let's go grab a ride on our brand new coaster, GREAT WHITE

As we watched the hot air balloons rise in the background, I got this photo of the new picnic area and of our brand new ride, Cliffhanger.
Straight ahead we have Mack's Pizza with a deck overlooking the new coaster, Great White.

Standing on the exit bridge, we can see how Great White really utilizes the terrain.

From the station we can get a great look at the lift and some of the ride's elements.

Before we leave, the plot of land next to the park has recently been purchased, with the agreement of keeping this historic church in tact.

And lastly, just an overview of what's been going on here.  Hope everyone enjoyed their visit today.

These amazing midway games are by RubleTrillions

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 07:18 PM by DragsterDan1987 »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2018, 08:24 PM »
DragsterDan, that's excellent work!  You're really picking up steam as this goes along.  You've given me several ideas to steal here, although you pre-empted me on naming a ride "Cliffhanger", which I was planning for next time ;).  That coaster looks pretty epic, too.  I really like the way you laid it out on the slope of the terrain.

I take it this is Option 2?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2018, 11:38 PM »
Hope champ01 is OK. Current leader and he's not entered anything. It'll make the points totals very interesting though.