SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #3 (Winners Posted)

• 156 replies
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #3
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2018, 02:46 AM »
Bullet, thanks for the nice words man.  Your work in this competition has been really quite stunning, very my style.  Not going to lie, this competition has really kicked my butt haha.  and yeah this is option 2.

And notice those daytime shots, huh?!?!  Yeah?? Go me !!!!   :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 02:49 AM by DragsterDan1987 »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2018, 04:57 AM »
Hope champ01 is OK.

I'm thinking he's got a time zone issue, as his timing's been a bit off before.  Plus, SGW was down all morning (US time) yesterday, which might have been his chance to post if he does live in a strange time zone.  Anyway, I expect to hear from him soon.

I'm also wondering where GreyStripedKitty is.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2018, 06:52 AM »
I see champ01 is online now. If he does submit, I think we should deduct 12,000 points, just so some of us have ANY hope of catching up with him!  ;D

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2018, 07:14 AM »
Hey guys, hopefully this isn't too late for an entree... Band camp and practice have been screwing with my Planco time so this time around I didn't get a lot done, and some of the objectives were rushed. Hopefully it's enough. BTW going for option 2.

Welcome back to Melody Park! We have lots to show you today!

In order for the park to purchase the church property, the city required that we keep the old church. The park decided to just throw a fence around it and plant some trees and add a fountain and call it good. Their major investments went elsewhere...

The majority of the season's budget went into our new area, Tennessee, the home of country! In this land you will find many Tennessee/country themed buildings and rides, such as rodeos, barns, and old country houses.

Here's a view down the main road. On the left you can see a large restaurant. I wonder what it sells... You can also see a quick service restaurant down the road which sells tater tots and corn dogs. In the background you can see the biggest investment we have made yet...

Stampede! A 114 foot tall GCI woodie which roars through the woods of Tennesee.

Here's a nice view of the bridge the coaster crosses over during the ride.

Stampede isn't the only ride we've added however... Welcome to the Buckin' Bronco, a rodeo themed spinning flat ride which will send you hurling around the ring.

And finally, an overview of the coaster and the park so far. Hopefully these pictures are enough for our investors to help us (give us more money)! Thanks again for coming!

Thanks everybody for the encouragement and the thoughts for me while I away. Hopefully this is good enough...

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2018, 07:19 AM »
Incredible as always, champ!

How do you manage to do the custom signs in such short time? I'm talking specifically about the horse. How many pieces is that? I've tried several times to make custom signs, and my Holiday Inn one didn't turn out bad, but that is just stunning. Do you create it in situ, or on the ground somewhere else in the park and move it? I'm yet to see a decent custom sign/shape tutorial on YouTube!

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2018, 07:42 AM »
Thanks PH! For custom signs, I find a silhouette of the object i want to make online, and then i make it a billboard in game and put it on the ground. For this one, I used the oval art shapes and just filled out the silhouette and then deleted the billboard. I then moved it to the spot i want it in. The horse itself is about 150 peices. Hopefully this helps.

« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2018, 09:51 AM »
every shot is a winner. The layout of your wooden coaster is especially smart and good considering the fact is had to cross the road. The bridge is great too and realistic. And I like the integration of the flat ride and the coherency of your park layout.
Warner Movie Worlds
(pardon my french!)

« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2018, 10:44 AM »
So glad to see you make it in, champ.  As usual you make me want to redo everything I've done, especially my bridge.  All the impressive realism and details I've come to expect with the buildings.  Really liking how the overhead layout overcomes all the straight lines around the borders, it has a very freeform flow to it.  And bonus points for custom supporting the coaster!

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Excellent  entry!!

I agree with JP. One thing I find is that I end up wantin to redo things when I see your guys stuff and I think it shows the growth as I feel able and more inspired. Good thing about the competition really.
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Glad you made it, Champ!  Great entry and as JP said, good job on the custom coaster supports.  That's a double-decker bridge, right?  Cool idea and I image that was a pain to get the track to line up correctly for ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Graystripedkitty

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2018, 03:56 AM »
Thanks for wondering about me, BH... I was working on a tight schedule for real life and completely forgot about the deadline for this. I'm still intending to be in for challenge 4 which should hopefully give me a little time to clean up the bits from previous challenges that I couldn't quite finish.

« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2018, 05:32 AM »
I'm glad you're still in GSK.  Looking forward to seeing your next entry!

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2018, 10:30 AM »
I’m both anxious to see the results, but also apprehensive! I’ll be very interested to see how the judges viewed a curious challenge and the submissions that followed.

I had my own rankings in mind having looked through, but in all honesty, the top 3/4 could have been in any order in my opinion. Tough one to call I bet!

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2018, 10:33 AM »
I'm also excited to see and it must be a tough one to judie due to the nature of it.

« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2018, 10:36 AM »
IMO - I found this one a bit easier to judge (as long as we were able to focus on if option 1 or option 2 were attempted) as far as meeting the objectives. the entries were all very close, which is what made it difficult to judge. Little itsy-bitsy things made the different between some entries on this round. Challenge 2 was way harder for me to judge than this challenge.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Ooh that is interesting. I'd have thought the opposite but good to know.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2018, 10:53 AM »
I think the judging will mainly have been done by now, but from a personal candid viewpoint, I don’t think I did myself any favours in challenge 3. I feel I overcommitted to a large project and left some things unfinished. However, the judges may feel differently!

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2018, 10:58 AM »
I loved your visitor centre and car park Disney.

There is a lot of good in your post. For me I've thought the same about all the posts.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Challenge #3 Winners

1st Place - Neitsab - 26 pts

2nd Place - Bullethead - 25 pts

3rd Place - JPAlmighT - 18 pts

Scores for Challenge #3
Neitsab - 26 pts
Bullethead - 25 pts
JPAlmighT - 18 pts
champ01 - 11 pts
FCP-Rug - 10 pts
DragsterDan1987 - 9 pts
PhDisney - 7 pts
Forgath - 6 pts

Total Scores
JPAlmighT - 69 pts
Bullethead - 64 pts
champ01 - 56 pts
PhDisney - 32 pts
FCP-Rug - 30 pts
Neitsab - 26 pts
DragsterDan1987 - 25 pts
Forgath - 18 pts
Graystripedkitty - 6 pts

Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #3 (Winners Posted)
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Yep - I expected that! You win some, you lose some!

Congrats to the deserving top three - great entries!

« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2018, 02:00 PM »
Great round everyone. Here are my comments/notes:

1st - Neitsab - Great 'first official' entry. Lots to love about this. The bridge, the building's style, the coaster, and just the overall look og the park. Your buildings are fun to look at and very colorful and well lit. Little details I tried to zoom in on and make sure were not missed, like the fire burst that the coaster shoots through and ripped tent cover on the coaster station. You nailed a cohesive vintage circus looking theme and my favorite entry. One thing is I couldn't verify the small parking needed for the church, but other than that all objectives were met perfectly IMO and the style and work you did deserve the win from me this round.

2nd - Bullethead - like I mentioned before…probably some of the best work I have seen you do yet. Love the cohesive look of this park of the park. You met every objective (for option 1) about as perfect as they could be met. Great detail in the gardens, pavilion, bridges. Love the whole gardens and wedding chapel idea. Also, have to mention the fire code call out. Even though you are jokingly (clearly?) not happy with the decisions being made for these challenges (I promise I will not hold this against you in voting), you meet them to a tee. I especially like the overall layout and planning you put into this area of the park. Great entry.

3rd - JPAlmighT - beautiful work around the church. I especially like the vineyard aspect you came up with…very unique and well done. Fits in this area perfectly. I also like the way you fit the rocket into the skin of the new flat ride. Seems like the overall theme is leaning more and more to a retro space look. Nice work on the faux kiddie ride - fits into that space really well. The coaster layout and how it drops down to the bridges is also a cool look. I like that the main lift is actually across the road. I also noted the extra clean up you did from challenge 2 (like adding sidewalks). Kudos on the brewery and the interior seating (I suck at interiors). That architecture is beautiful. Now if BH was a judge....that name would even be extra special and maybe earn you an extra move up in the ranking? Your overhead shot also shows a great overall park layout that looks jam packed with fun in a small footprint.

Runner ups:
champ01 - first the good news. This is a great entry. The coaster layout looks the best of the entries IMO and I can't wait to see what the on ride looks like. The cross over the roadway is also fantastic. I also like the skin on the flat ride...It looks like a rodeo...nicely done. The buildings and restaurant look great nice additions. Now...like a couple other entries...there was a lack of full consideration for higher point allocation because I couldn't verify if you met the food seating objective as I see no seating area in the shots you captured...or even mention of it. Also, I realize you may not have time for everything, but the church upgrade was clearly abandoned so I had to take away some point-age for that, but overall I liked the entry and what you did.

FCP-Rug - great looking additions and all option 2 objectives were met very well. I love the style of the buildings and the coaster station. The track layout is also very well done by hugging the terrain. Good photos to show off that all the work was done correctly. Good choice picking this option and meeting the requirements and completing with the right amount of detail, etc. Very well played. Also want to call out the overall layout of the park in its entirety...very nice.

Other in no particular order:
DragsterDan1987 - very nice entry overall. I like the boardwalk look and it fits nice with the buildings and style you have this area of the park. The coaster is a nice basic layout yet meets the requirements of the objectives. I would have ranked you higher, except I could really verify if you met the food service seating requirement. I assume you did, but because it was clear on the other entries, I had to make the choice to rank them a bit higher this time. Also, while you met the church objective, the parking area for it didn't need to be as large as you made it. Not that is bad, just not as perfect as some of the other entries. the coaster also comes really really close to encroaching on the historic church grounds which was something that you were warned not to do in the objectives.. I did however like what you actually did with the church more than other entries.

Forgath - I had originally had a hard time trying to figure out what objectives you were trying to meet here so thanks for clarifying that. I will start with the good news…at least you submitted an entry even with limited time and the most of the work you did do is very nice. I like the park -like areas for guest to sit and relax and putting all the support buildings in a single structure is a great space saving idea. The coaster also looks to be a nice layout, but in option 2 it had to cross over to the church lot and I don't see where this is happening. Again, it was hard to really tell if all the objectives were totally met, so it made it difficult for me to rank you higher this time around. I do like that even though you couldn't get more work done around the church...you show that its still a work in progress. Nice touch.

PhDisney - beautiful building/visitor center for the church, just not feeling if the style really fits, but great building work there. Great looking plaza/street with the European. Medieval style. Not clear to me if you added a seating area for the food service area. The coaster looks great and fits in the land nicely. Now for some constructive criticism. I realize all parks don't have a cohesive theme or look, but a park this size with all the elements so close together...is a bit much with all the drastic different styles going on. A retro visitor center (by an old church), with a modern hotel over the road with a wooden coaster theme like a mill tied in directly with the hotel, and a European village, etc. Each element in itself is great work, but they don't blend well enough together IMO. You mentioned that you ran out of time. Maybe, just maybe, instead of building that huge hotel (which wasn't a requirement)...that time could have been better spent focusing on the actual objectives more and refining the park part of the park? Don't get me wrong. Overall a strong entry because of all the pieces...but they look like pieces to me. Don't give up hope, just use your time wisely.

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2018, 02:32 PM »
As wowmanrct mentioned, great round everyone!

Here's how I voted:
1st - JPAlmighT
2nd - Bullethead
3rd - Neitsab
Runners Up - FCP-Rug, DragsterDan1987

My comments are at the following link: https://imgur.com/a/9OodNcd
Please let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2018, 02:58 PM »
Thanks for the detailed comments!

In truth, my approach to this contest is to have fun and take risks. It paid off with the funicular, and it didn’t this time, but I had fun trying to think outside the box!

I’ve got something equally different lined up for #4, but hopefully it’ll be a better fit for the park.

« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2018, 03:14 PM »
Congrats to everyone, this was the most I've enjoyed viewing the submissions of every single contestant.  Just before champ submitted I was going to make the comment that I was predicting three leaderboard names who hadn't placed previously, I guess I was only 1/3 correct but that should tell you how close the competition was in this event.  (I thought PhD and Dan were going to place top 3.)

I also love that we seem to be gaining rather than losing competitors this summer.  I'd like to think it's because people can see how much fun we're having.

One note to wowman:  There won't be any judge shoutouts in this park, if BH was judging I would've had to find another brand of beer to serve for this one.  Thankfully it didn't come to that, that stuff is tasty.  Even the Mystery Brew.

BUT I will do one collective suckup to all the judges:  Thank you for option 2 and the quick resolution to our (my) issues.  The one issue I couldn't find a workable solution to in Option 1 was with the pedestrian path over the road; the extra parkland would've been nice but peeps would've had to backtrack to see the entire park in a day, and it's just not the flow I was going for.

Good luck to all in challenge 4!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2018, 04:44 PM »
i just gotta say I was super impressed with the bridges everyone made this time...the coaster bridges, tram bridges, train bridges, and peep bridges.  All so creative and well-made.  Congratulations, everyone!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2018, 08:34 PM »
Good job all hands and thanks for the feedback on my stuff.  WTG Neitsab!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2018, 01:49 AM »
gg great entrys! nice work!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2018, 04:32 AM »
Gosh, I am really glad to see the results of this one LOL

I have to say I have really loved all of the entries here, everyone's entries were brilliant and a big congratulations to all the winners.

Thanks again for the comments judges.

SaladFries, I do think I picked the wrong pictures for my restaurant looking back at it. Just for funsies here are the shots from closer and inside. I enjoyed making the hot holding area and booths. Also, their are two restrooms (I forgot to mention) one on the right of the restraunt and one to the right of the "Pathos" sign though that is a slightly altered copy of the first ones near the entrance.

Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:42 AM by FCP-Rug »

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2018, 05:02 AM »
Even though we aren’t split into official tiers, I think it’s naturally happened anyway. JP, Bullet, Champ, Neitsab will be battling it out for the top four, then, with all due respect, I think myself, FCP, Dan and the other contestants will be effectively playing for the “best of the rest” prize of finishing 5th.

« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2018, 05:31 AM »
PhD:  The thing is, everybody is submitting Tier 1 level work so it's almost even more appropriate we don't have the two tiers for this one.  I think Dan did the entire winter competition in Tier 1 and did quite well with some deserving work.   Only thing I don't want to see is a tier with only 3 or 4 people, because again I'll throw Dan under the bus, the three guys in the winter competition in Tier 1 were doing great work but getting third place was also getting last place, and I know that was sucking the fun out of it for them. 

In short, if the next competition had two tiers and you decided to enter and I was a judge, I would want you in Tier 1.  And also, I still don't believe you're new to this  :P

Rug: I don't think there was anything wrong with your original photos because when I saw them I was quite threatened.  But I will agree that some of your restaurant detail work didn't transfer and those new photos showcase it well.   What you did with the floor [stealing that!] and the buffet line... good god that's amazing.  One non-judge suggestion I can make in hindsight is this: Since there's so much glass on the front, maybe doing something different with the interior walls to differentiate them from the exterior, like a different color, or added detail like a chair rail/wainscot or something.  It sucks the wallpaper they gave us isn't recolourable.  I need to work on my interior wall theming as well.