SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #3 (Winners Posted)

• 156 replies
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #3 (Winners Posted)
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2018, 05:54 AM »
PhD:  The thing is, everybody is submitting Tier 1 level work so it's almost even more appropriate we don't have the two tiers for this one.  I think Dan did the entire winter competition in Tier 1 and did quite well with some deserving work.   Only thing I don't want to see is a tier with only 3 or 4 people, because again I'll throw Dan under the bus, the three guys in the winter competition in Tier 1 were doing great work but getting third place was also getting last place, and I know that was sucking the fun out of it for them. 

In short, if the next competition had two tiers and you decided to enter and I was a judge, I would want you in Tier 1.  And also, I still don't believe you're new to this  :P

Rug: I don't think there was anything wrong with your original photos because when I saw them I was quite threatened.  But I will agree that some of your restaurant detail work didn't transfer and those new photos showcase it well.   What you did with the floor [stealing that!] and the buffet line... good god that's amazing.  One non-judge suggestion I can make in hindsight is this: Since there's so much glass on the front, maybe doing something different with the interior walls to differentiate them from the exterior, like a different color, or added detail like a chair rail/wainscot or something.  It sucks the wallpaper they gave us isn't recolourable.  I need to work on my interior wall theming as well.
Agreed. And like I have been saying...the photos need to be a good representation of the overall work, but also clear to show that objectives have been met. The work being done here is all upper tier stuff...the things keeping some of you from getting higher ranks from me are typically very little things...like I can't confirm a single objective was met, or maybe your style just wasn't jiving with me compared to someone else, or space wasn't utilized as well as others. Its not the overall skill, just some little details. I have a hard time determining the ranking and someone that didn't place may be because of one little thing on my list. Believe me, for the most part the differences are not glaring between one entry over the other.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2018, 05:57 AM »
JPAlmighT - Yeah man, I was thinking about adding that detailing to the inner wall in this morning when I was taking those shots. Solid advice me thinks so I will have to get onto it. I have no complaints about my originals, I was quite proud of it all, which is unusual for me.

At PHDisney, I half agree with you here. It does seem like the most likely outcome and that it kind of feels like two tiers within one, however, I do think that it is entirely possible for any of us to take 1/2/3 slot in the upcoming challenges and maybe even take a lot of points in the final challenge.

Yeah it is likely to finish in the tiers you suggest but all of our work is good enough that there is potential to alter that and that is kind of cool for me. I think we are only coming 4/5/6th by very small margines in my own opinion so the competition is forcing us to improve in little but noticable ways. I kinda love it.
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2018, 07:12 AM »
Yeah, sorry. I didn’t mean for my post to come across as claiming we aren’t good enough to compete. That was not my intention at all.

I think the margins are very fine. For example, if 2nd-4th is particularly tight for one challenge, the points difference can far outweigh the quality difference.

6 judges placing it second = 24 points.
6 judges placing it fourth = 12 points.

It really is pushing me to create better and better builds, to try to inspire the judges to give that one extra mark. Enjoying it immensely.

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2018, 07:20 AM »
Forgath - I had originally had a hard time trying to figure out what objectives you were trying to meet here so thanks for clarifying that. I will start with the good news…at least you submitted an entry even with limited time and the most of the work you did do is very nice. I like the park -like areas for guest to sit and relax and putting all the support buildings in a single structure is a great space saving idea. The coaster also looks to be a nice layout, but in option 2 it had to cross over to the church lot and I don't see where this is happening. Again, it was hard to really tell if all the objectives were totally met, so it made it difficult for me to rank you higher this time around. I do like that even though you couldn't get more work done around the church...you show that its still a work in progress. Nice touch.

Thank you for your feedback! I guess i can blame myself for not putting up a better view concerning the coaster. What you see from the coaster in my pov picture 6 is all on the church-plot.

@Salad Fries: yes, you are correct. I share your feeling about the station-building being to tall. It feels a bit not connected to the rest. Ill do my best for the next event on that part. :)

« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2018, 08:50 PM »
For some reason I did really well in The Winter Showdown, but this time around I just I'll be working on building and configuring the layout and thinking how good this is or how much better it is from last round, then BAM nope lol.  Not quite sure whats happening haha

« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2018, 01:17 AM »
Thanks, I'm really glad.
Really interesting to have such detailed feedbacks too :) !
Warner Movie Worlds
(pardon my french!)

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2018, 09:21 AM »
For some reason I did really well in The Winter Showdown, but this time around I just I'll be working on building and configuring the layout and thinking how good this is or how much better it is from last round, then BAM nope lol.  Not quite sure whats happening haha
Don't beat yourself up Dan. Your last entry was excellent and it WAS much better than your last round's entry. But that could be said for all the entries this round.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot