Question about Square Custom Supports

• 2 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Question about Square Custom Supports
« on: July 22, 2018, 03:51 PM »
I ran into something strange yesterday when playing with the new square, non-gridded custom support pieces and I was wondering if anybody else had noticed this.  The issue is that I could not get the square support parts to line up with all grid axes.  The round ones had no problem, just the square ones.  It's like this....

See, the custom support parts are non-gridded.  With every other non-gridded part, including the new round custom supports, you can align them with all 3 axes of an existing gridded building by sticking them against a vertical gridded wall part to start with.  You can then rotate the non-gridded part however desired and its RELATIVE axes, at least to start with, are parallel to the building's axes.

With the square custom supports, however, this was not the case for me.  Sticking them to a wall first (at which time the support itself is horizontal) caused the support piece to be leaning out of plumb when rotated to the vertical, although it WAS aligned with the 2 horizontal axes.  And as usual with other non-gridded parts, sticking the square supports to a horizontal gridded tile first aligned the part's horizontal axes with the world axes, not the building's.

Anybody else seen this or was I just drunk?
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Square Custom Supports
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 03:56 PM »
Any chance you can make a video or let me watch on Steam?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Square Custom Supports
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 06:01 PM »
Not for a while.  I'm on a deadline with C#3.  Although I'm off to a good start already, I want to make hay while the sun shines in case time constraints crop up again.  But it's simple enough to test yourself.

1.  Plunk down  a row of 3-4 flat tiles as a new building.  Add 1 vertical 4m wall piece anywhere convenient along this row of flat tiles.
2.  Exit the building editor, select the entire new building you just made, and rotate it between 15-75^, so it's no longer aligned with the world axes.
3.  Re-enter the building editor on this building.
4.  Select a long, non-gridded part with its center of rotation on 1 end, such as a painted bean, haunted house pillar, etc.  and stick it on the vertical wall.  Have all "snap" boxes checked so the non-gridded part will be centered on the vertical wall, sticking out horizontally.
5.  Once this part is in place, select it and hit X for Advanced Move with "Relative Axes" set.  Observe that all axes of the non-gridded part are parallel with the building's grid.
5.  Rotate the part so that it points up.  Observe that all the part's axes are still aligned with the buildings grid.
6.  Now stick a square-section custom support piece on the other side of the vertical wall.  It should point out horizontally in the opposite direction as the 1st non-gridded piece.
7.  Select the square custom support, hit X for Advanced Move, and rotate the support to point up.  Observe that while the 2 horizontal axes are parallel with the building grid, the support is now leaning out of plumb about 10^.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:09 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page