SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #4 (Winners Posted)

• 109 replies

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile

Challenge #4

It seems your restoration of the old church has made the town quite happy. Maybe they will start budging even more? None the less it is time to carry on. It seems like adding an entertainment venue to your park may help drive up some numbers. Even more so, with the town now leaning more to your side, some more rides would also help drive up numbers to the park. Maybe even a major one? (Though the town council isn't keen on another roller coaster.)

Objectives:
~Build a venue for your park to present live entertainment. This can be a simple bandstand or a huge amphitheater. It can be an indoor theater, or a "concert in the park" type setting. It's up to you how much time and effort (and money) that you want to put into it. If you've already built a stage show in any previous challenge, then you have the option of either building a different type of show, or adding a flat ride instead.
~Build a major ride that is not a roller coaster. This could be any tracked ride, log flume, rapids ride, dark ride, etc. (You may use coaster track/cars for a dark ride.)
~Optional: Old Man Jenkin's is ready to sell his farm, so you can buy that plot if you need the space. (You don't have to buy the plot yet if you don't need it).
~Optional: Add another flat ride or any type of shop or food vendor if you have time.

The deadline for this challenge is Wednesday, August 15th at midnight. You can post a maximum of 8 screenshots and one optional POV.

Post any questions here. Good luck to all the entrants.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:43 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #4
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 11:41 AM »
I know each challenge will please different people, but after being a bit 'meh' about challenge 3, I'm over the moon with this one. Sounds like great fun!

With the optional purchase of the farmer's field, I presume we prove that by building something on it, or simply flattening it? What you're saying is that if we need to use that land to build our new venue/rides, we can, but it's not compulsory?

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 12:08 PM »
It's not mandatory to buy the plot. Only if you need the space.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 12:15 PM »
I like this one too.  No idea what I'm going to do with it, but I like the freedom and options we have.  I kind of want to get away with not buying any additional land this round, but to make any track ride fit I might have to...  it's a fun dilemma :)

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 12:32 PM »
I filled so much space I might need to but I am damn well gonna try to fit it in what's left of my park :D! Ace idea for a challenge!

Will the optional pov score more points because my computer isn't capable of running on high/med graphics I have to get it in place for the screenshot then switch up the graphics. No complaints if it does just wondering?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:58 PM by FCP-Rug »
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Objectives:
~Build a venue for your park to present live entertainment. This can be a simple bandstand or a huge amphitheater. It can be an indoor theater, or a "concert in the park" type setting. It's up to you how much time and effort (and money) that you want to put into it. If you've already built a stage show in any previous challenge, then you have the option of either building a different type of show, or adding a flat ride instead.

Hmmm....

Me and Neitsab (the Option 1 misfits) already did this in C#3.  I have my outdoor (but covered) 240-seat picnic/reception/family reunion/high school graduation/whatever theater with bandstand and dance floor, Neitsab has his indoor "Palace" theater.  So can what we did last time count for this?  If not, then why does a park of this small size need 2 such things?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:28 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 04:22 PM »
Hmmm....

Me and Neitsab (the Option 1 misfits) already did this in C#3.  I have my outdoor (but covered) 240-seat picnic/reception/family reunion/high school graduation/whatever theater with bandstand and dance floor, Neitsab has his indoor "Palace" theater.  So can what we did last time count for this?  If not, then why does a park of this small size need 2 such things?
It doesn't. The rules state you can build a flat ride instead. ;)

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 04:28 PM »
It doesn't. The rules state you can build a flat ride instead. ;)

Must have missed the fine print.  Thanks :).  Damn, that shingles vaccine.  It's all a conspiracy, I tell you!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 04:08 AM »
I filled so much space I might need to but I am damn well gonna try to fit it in what's left of my park :D! Ace idea for a challenge!

Will the optional pov score more points because my computer isn't capable of running on high/med graphics I have to get it in place for the screenshot then switch up the graphics. No complaints if it does just wondering?

Speaking only for me (idk if my opinions are the same as the other judges), but I treat a pov in the same manner as an image. Considering that more images = more to see/like, and a video is effectively thousands of images, a pov could very well score additional points since it has the potential to show far more than the 8 screenshots.

On the flip side, a pov can also point out some less desirable things (examples, weird pacing/ impossible transitions on the ride, unfinished areas). With that said, I have been super forgiving and "overlooking" these sorts of things with these optional pov challenges (I figure going through the extra effort of a pov when optional should be a + or at least a wash).

Now, if the pov was mandatory (or if almost all contestants post one while optional), I would judge it just as harshly as a standard pic.

Regarding povs, they really don't need to be fancy or well edited or anything imo (honestly, I would prefer "raw" planco footage). Take a look at my povs from the winter competition, they're horrible lol. Honestly, I'm just looking to see what is in the park & how the ride is. I can forgive low graphics, laggy video, etc. Its a building contest, not a video editing contest.

Edit: just reread & realized that I sound super wishy-washy. Here is a more clear tl:Dr:

If only a couple people post povs, I will treat them as bonus points. If mandatory (or if all/ almost all contestants post povs while optional), I will treat them as regular image.

Please note though, while judging, I go through the images twice. Once to make sure all requirements are met and once to look for noteworthy things. Because of this, find that I spend a lot more time looking for +'s than I do -'s & I only really call out -'s in my scoring system if they're particularly glaring.. (aka more images almost always = a better score, so a pov would almost always result in a better score)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:31 AM by Salad Fries »

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 04:33 AM »
I can try and do a p.o.v. on low graphics then but will be choppy.  I've never tried before so it will be interesting. Let's see if it makes the cut for an entry lol

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 06:59 AM »
How much terraforming of the ice rink and/or church cliffs can we do this time?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 07:53 AM »
On the flip side, a pov can also point out some less desirable things (examples, weird pacing/ impossible transitions on the ride, unfinished areas). With that said, I have been super forgiving and "overlooking" these sorts of things with these optional pov challenges (I figure going through the extra effort of a pov when optional should be a + or at least a wash).

I certainly did a fair amount of cringing when I watched mine back. The odd misplaced tree here, the odd terraforming error there, the unfinished, ugly backs of buildings elsewhere...

However - I see the whole park as a work in progress - and the last challenge is *usually* a tidy up/complete challenge, so hoping the judges take that into account.

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 11:15 AM »
When I view a POV, I'm mainly looking at the ride. It can help or hurt you, depending on a number of factors. When taking only screenshots, you can show off the best elements of the ride, and "hide" the poor elements. With a POV, there's no covering up any "warts". So if the ride is poorly designed, carefully staged screenshots can cover this up. A POV will reveal all its shortcomings. Then again, sometimes screenshots don't do a good ride the justice a POV can do.

How much terraforming of the ice rink and/or church cliffs can we do this time?
Minimal.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:22 AM by shyguy »

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 11:17 AM »
I have said many times in my judging reviews...when you do you pictures, be sure that they at minimum show or help explain the objectives. You can have the greatest looking buildings and coasters in the park, but remember this is a competition and you need to at minimum meet the objectives. Unfortunately, I have knocked down players a notch because I couldn't verify if objectives were met...especially when other players specifically and clearly met them. As SF indicated with the POV option. I would most likely use this 1. to enjoy the ride. 2. to make sure it was a tool to see if objectives were met. 3 review the building skills and details put in the park....hey exactly what I use the photos for!!! I would never add or subtract points for the quality of the video, nor if one was even submitted...only as another method to help me judge the content as fairly as I can. If you are taking the time to enter and do all this work...be sure to call it out so it doesn't go overlooked by the judges. Please let me know if you have any questions on what I'm soap-boxing about here.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 03:18 PM »
No, thank you for all of your in-depth answers! Very helpful!

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 01:59 PM »
The trademark PhDisney "have a stupendous idea to build something massive and then realise you've only got 9 more days to finish it" construction project is well underway...

I'm having great fun with this challenge, I must say.

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Hello all, im back from my vacation. 
Im already having a nice idea about this challenge yet not sure how to implement it yet.  But ill do my best

Good luck to everyone!

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 06:15 PM »
@GSK:  Glad you're still kickin'.

@Forgath:  Glad you're back.  Now hop to it ;)

@PhD:  You've established a style, so go with it ;)

@Me:  Real life has put in its middle reliever so I'm already doubting I'll get this finished even though I don't have that much to do.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 07:48 AM »
I have not started on building yet for this challenge. Very shitty news has hit the family so i cant tell how the upcoming weeks are gonna be concerning spare time.

I do have a question: concerning building a large ride and an entertainment venue, am i allowed to pick the spot? I still have alot of un-used space on the church-plot and ice-rink. Does it matter where i build?

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Sorry you got bad news. Hopefully you'll still be able to finish the competition.

And yes, you can build your additions anywhere you like.

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 02:41 PM »
I have not started on building yet for this challenge. Very shitty news has hit the family so i cant tell how the upcoming weeks are gonna be concerning spare time.

Very sorry to hear that.  Hope things work out as well as they can.  Worry about you and yours first.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 06:55 AM »
Thank you for the support and for answering my question.

I just finished building something i had in my mind and what i thought would fit the challenge. However, once completed i find it difficult to build the surroundings. Made me feel kinda lost. Anyone shares that feeling / knows what i mean?

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 07:44 AM »
However, once completed i find it difficult to build the surroundings. Made me feel kinda lost. Anyone shares that feeling / knows what i mean?

Experiment with flowers/trees/bushes, as well as fences/walls. It's amazing what well-placed foliage can do for an area.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 10:16 AM »
Yeah or think of fencing it off close to paths and things so the back area is left empty.

I definitely share the sentiment though. About half of my last challenge was how to surround things!

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Here is a backstage gate I created for my parks and its out on the workshop. Just remove the bush and the sign and you can copy/repeat it as a perimeter fence. Maybe this can help you out?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1472054558

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 12:11 AM »
Even though the POV is optional, would you accept this as the sole proof and judging evidence for the new ride?

So, for example, would it be acceptable if I used my 8 screenshots on the entertainment stage etc, and only show the ride on the POV?

Online shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 12:21 AM »
^Yes.

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 03:55 AM »
Oh cool, just re-read that the POV doesn't count as one of the 8 screenshots.  That just makes me want to build more :D

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Hey folks, I am just letting you know I will be away from my PC now for a week or so. I will have access to here via my phone but my work on the park has had to be rushed and cut short. That being said I have managed to do a lot of work today and yesterday and I am fairly happy with it overall.

The idea I had was good but I've not managed one of it's main features and a few parts of it are a bit more sparse than I would like.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2018, 12:34 PM »
Look forward to seeing it FCP! You uploading shortly I assume, before you go away?