SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #4 (Winners Posted)

• 109 replies

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #4
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2018, 01:02 AM »
Also, love your layout. The view of the beach and drop placement mmm.
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2018, 02:36 AM »
JP, you could put a toilet and a tree down for a challenge and it’d still get 25+ points. You ooze talent!  :o

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2018, 05:12 AM »
Wow wow wow !  The competition is really strong this week...Today is my day off. I will try to post something this evening :).

I had extra time these past couple weeks and spent most of it in the park; you will do something jaw-dropping in a day and I can't wait to see what it is.  Also, I think the lighthouse idea came from you. :)

REALLY great stuff, JP!  It all just goes together so well and looks so cool.  I'm really envious of your architectural and space-arranging skills, and how you always make each individual piece the perfect color.
But which of your incompetent employees dropped an expensive wine barrel in the log ride pond?  The chlorine can't be doing the vintage any good ;)

Haha, thank you sir.  I am kind of liking the "puzzle assembly" aspect of making such a small space feel bigger.  I'd like to blame Becky for the wine barrel, but no, it was me.  And trust me, that barrel was empty :P

JP your park went from great to legendary in like...a week!!! I really can't wait to walk around this place!

Thanks Rug!  That's another thing about the competitions I'm realizing -- after looking at all these pics all summer we know we'll get to walk in every one of these parks at the end, and after judging the last one, this time I'll actually get to do it just for fun.  The judges have to work when they're in there :P

JP, you could put a toilet and a tree down for a challenge and it’d still get 25+ points. You ooze talent!  :o

Thanks ph, that's very kind, but you're the one holding your own against a bunch of vets, so I'd have to call you the summer success story around here :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 05:16 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2018, 06:57 AM »
I was very excited to see the parks last comp but this time I think it's even more exciting.

The chalenges and map have made it really different this time.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:01 AM by FCP-Rug »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2018, 11:34 AM »
Haha, thank you sir.  I am kind of liking the "puzzle assembly" aspect of making such a small space feel bigger.  I'd like to blame Becky for the wine barrel, but no, it was me.  And trust me, that barrel was empty :P

Well, whatever the casue, you do it well.  I finally got to watch your POV and really liked how it was more of scenic dark ride (with Time Travel) with a splash at the end than the traditional log ride.  That guy taking the bubble bath was a nice touch.

Anyway, seeing this and the other POVs made me decide I need to do one, so I just added one to my entry.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:49 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Great ride, that entire family is going to need a complete change of clothes!  Definitely one of the more exciting rapids rides I've seen.  I've noticed they are very hard to both build and do POV's for, because you never know which way the camera will face and have to plan for all angles. 

You didn't do the time machine thing for the caves did you?  I ask because I didn't notice any transitions, yet the lights were on when they needed to be.  I had a hard time with that -- trying to allow for daylight during cave entrances and exits, but getting it dark enough in time for what's inside.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Great ride, that entire family is going to need a complete change of clothes!  Definitely one of the more exciting rapids rides I've seen.  I've noticed they are very hard to both build and do POV's for, because you never know which way the camera will face and have to plan for all angles.

Thanks!  I also had my doubts that I could do a decent POV of this ride.  Normally, I do an external view for rapids rides due to the rafts spinning but that didn't look good here as the camera had to be so low to avoid the tunnel ceilings that all you could see was the raft.  So I figured I'd just have to patch together excerpts from multiple runs in different seats.  However, when riding it in various seats, I discovered Seat #4 here, by sheer coincidence, provided good angles for the outside sections and the cave, so I went with it.  Lucky me :).  The only thing I wish was different was going up the 2nd underground lift.  From Seat #4, you can see the lift and its built-in waterfall, which is OK, but from most other seats you can't.  From them, it doesn't look like you're going up a lift, it looks like you're spinning madly in a small chamber due to a trick of the light.  I wanted you all to see that so you could ask me how I did it, and I could spin a yarn about some funky method of ride construction.  But hey, I put all those waterfalls on the lift so you might as well see them, and you'll be able to download the park eventually if you really want to see the spinning illusion.

You didn't do the time machine thing for the caves did you?  I ask because I didn't notice any transitions, yet the lights were on when they needed to be.  I had a hard time with that -- trying to allow for daylight during cave entrances and exits, but getting it dark enough in time for what's inside.

No time machine.  That was just normal daylight at 5pm.  I chose that time mostly for the outdoor scenes as I liked the angle of the light for that, and it was still daylight enough that all the water effects still showed up nicely.  There's really no difference in the lighting of the underground areas regardless of time of day during daylight hours.

In the main cave, the inner wall over the entrance hole is just inside the outer cliff wall so light seeps through.  I just added some blue lights in the corners to give it some otherworldliness.  The 2nd underground lift is far, far underground and back from the cliff at the bottom, so is naturally dark and I didn't put lights there to preserve that for contrast with other areas.  Then the tunnel at its top is just below the surface---it's ceiling is approximately at ground level---so again light comes through the small amount of overburden.  Thus, you can see all the erupting fire hydrants violently bubbling storm surge coming but you can't do anything about it :).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:51 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2018, 02:09 PM »
Hello everyone,

wonderful entrees from you all! It leaves me willing to check out your images carefully because there is so much to see and discover! My compliments! :up:

side-note: tomorrow i get to hear what the recovery options are (if there is any) for a family member. My week has been one of few moments online so the following has been made in rare moments so to say. So here goes:

picture 1 and 2:
During the renovation of the church plot the work crew stumbled upon an ancient arena, hidden beneath the ground. After alot of cleaning, restoring, restoration and upgrading the arena is almost ready for use to the big crowd. These shots were taken with all lights burning, checking out if all areas of the large stage where properly lit.

picture 3:
To be able to allow the crowd to visit the new found arena, and prevent accidents from happening, a bridge has been build across the highway:

picture 4, 5 and 6:
Enough space was found on the ice-rink plot to build a wild river ride. Guests leaving the ride complained about a shaking feeling in their legs due to a drop going underground. (not shown yet on a picture). The last picture is showing crystals who revealed themselves while the track is taking a curve through a small cave.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2018, 02:28 PM »
side-note: tomorrow i get to hear what the recovery options are (if there is any) for a family member. My week has been one of few moments online so the following has been made in rare moments so to say.

My sincere sympathy to you and yours, Forgath.  I hope things turn out as well as possible.  My own family has been having some medical problems lately, too, although not so dire.  All the best, friend.

And I salute you for pressing on with this regardless.  I myself have found this contest a welcome respite from the cares of the day, when I get the chance to take a break.  I really like your concepts here and it's a shame, in so many ways, that you didn't have time to flesh them out properly.  I certainly hope things improve for you.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2018, 03:39 PM »
Well wishes to both of you.  I'm with Bullethead on using the game as a sort of therapy/break from the real world/chance to be in control of something thing.   

Given the short time you had to work, I can't think of much I'd change on that arena.  Very creative and original story, a whole different direction than anyone else.  Hoping you get some time ahead to spend on yourself, whether it be gaming or anything else. 

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2018, 04:20 PM »
I really like the idea of your arena Forgath, and you executed it pretty well too!
I wish the best for you and yours.

I'll probably be able to post something, but not before tomorrow morning/noon (french hour), I would totally understand if you think my entry is void because I didn't respect the delay ;).

Warner Movie Worlds
(pardon my french!)

Offline champ01

• i live for the meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Welcome back to Melody Park! This season we have something aMaZinG to show you!

Welcome to invisible land! We only need one picture because it just looks so beautiful.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Thanks for visiting! Hopefully there's another great expansion next season!

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2018, 08:00 PM »
As the Summer dies down, I decided to take another trip to Chestnut Hill to see what all the fuss is about.  And man, I'm sure glad I went tonight, lines were short and the new rides and night time show were fantastic.  I took a few photos during my visit, I think they turned out quite well.

I was so hungry at the park today, so I stopped at MELT.  Grilled cheeses like you've never seen before.

And then I stumbled upon this, Serenity Falls.  A wild, and certainly wet new flume ride.  Good thing it's been hot.

I don't think I was supposed to take this photo, but I couldn't resist. Caution, you may get SOAKED!!!

I dried off a little bit and decided to head on over to the new nigh time spectacular, Ready. Set. Glow.

Lights, lasers, and stunts! Oh my!  Oh, and fire.

Serenity Falls at night is quite a site.  And the ride is amazing too.

Did I mention the park had built a new Star Flyer named, Up Up Away?  No?  Well here it is!  ;)

Have a wonderful evening!

Thank you to Johncannon8 for the use of his flat ride, up up away. 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:03 PM by DragsterDan1987 »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2018, 09:14 PM »
@Champ:  Damn, dude.  Sorry you couldn't get more done.  Nice Fender base, though.  I have a Strat with the same color scheme.

@DragsterDan:  Wow, that's beautiful stuff! That whole stage area, with its landscaping and custom decor, is fantastic (nice billboard work, too) and the name "Serenity Falls" seems to be a noun-verb sentence, as that drop doesn't look serene at all, but quite fun.  Also, the way that the masonry on the Melt shop looks quite cool.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Welcome back to Melody Park! This season we have something aMaZinG to show you!

Welcome to invisible land! We only need one picture because it just looks so beautiful.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Thanks for visiting! Hopefully there's another great expansion next season!
UR cracking me up right now.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2018, 01:24 AM »
Forgath I hope things go smooth as possible for treatment and glad you put in some time. Life comes first but think its safe to say we're always glad to see your progress here even under difficult pressure.

Champ I feel robbed of the other 6 shots of invisiland... ;D
To be fair that is a quality guitar though!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:26 AM by FCP-Rug »

« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2018, 02:37 AM »
Thanks for getting your points for this round champ, clearly I have abandonment issues and needed to see you show up :D    One of these days you'll be in a competition with unlimited free time and walk away with all the points, and easily.  The guitar is proof of that.

Dan:  I'm seeing a lot of stuff here, some highlights:
I love it when people who are really good at custom signs are not afraid to find cool things to do with the in-game signs as well. 
Your skills with setting the time-of-day for screenshots is evident again... those tree shadows on the Melt building!   :up:  (And just the building itself makes me hungry somehow, I can't explain that) :P
The stage setup is simple but realistic, exactly what a park would do.
Would've liked to see more of your new flume ride, but I'm not sure which of these pictures I'd sacrifice to do so because I like them all.  Another great entry!

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2018, 04:19 AM »
Dan! How did i miss your post?! Love the colour scheme with the brown, beige and yellow plus the path theming on the second shot!!

Excellent progress!

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2018, 05:18 AM »
Should be an enjoyable one for the judges to consider, this one.

A shame Neitsab couldn't get an entry in, although probably a blessed relief for the rest of us, as the last entry was outrageously good!

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2018, 06:06 AM »
I'd happily lose to it just to see the entry lol

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2018, 06:25 AM »
And we also seem to be missing GreyStripedKitty, too.  Been a tough week.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2018, 06:42 AM »
Indeed. I make it six entries, and champ's on top of that (Sorry champ!).

Challenge one had ten, challenge two had eight, challenge three had eight, and now we have six (and a half!).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:32 AM by PhDisney »

« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2018, 06:56 AM »
I completly understand that if this entry is not judged and accepted because I'm completly off the correct time  ;)
Arcadia Park IV

Everything is going well in Arcadia Park! The opening of the Circus World zone was a great success and enabled the park to double its revenue. The wooden "Mad Clown" has become a reference and is very appreciated by coasters fans... In the light of these achievements, the park director decided that we had to think big for the future...

Since the third season of the park, the park opens in the evening. But most people just leave after 7:00. To solve this problem and diversify the park's offer, it was decided to open a venue. This concert hall offers dinner while attending various performances ranging from folk singers to cabaret numbers. It can accommodate a hundred guests and offers two shows per evening.

Its decoration is part of the vintage Circus World area (which remains the only one open after 21HSingin'Café isn't the only add of this third season... There is a much bigger one...

Every city has their strange and a little eccentric inhabitant. Arcadia's is particularly remarkable. Mr. Etrange is the heir of a rich noble family, nobody has ever really seen him in Arcadia, but some claim to know what he looks like... In any case its manor can leave no one indifferent, it is the largest building of any Arcadia and its design is really unique for the city.

For the first time, some will have the chance to discover the wonders of the Etrange'Manor through the dark ride"Mr Etrange's Cabinet of Wonders".

The ride starts in Mr. Etrange's living room.. One cannot particularly say that it is very welcoming but it already contains a certain number of objects that Mr. Etrange brought back from his many trips

After a short passage in the library of Mr. Etrange (which houses a globe that shows some of the countries visited by Mr. Etrange), you are invited to discover the rooms of the manor...

And the least we can say is that the manor contains amazing rooms that will make you travel...
From this giant clock located in a stellar room...

You may also find yourself face to face with some of the things reported by MR. Strange.. And some are very surprising!
This dark ride is a major addition to the park which wanted to create a very themed attraction that offers a great experience for the whole family and all sensibilities.

This is the most expensive addition to date (over $10 million! : $8m for the dark ride + $1m for the singin'café + $1m for the modification of the area around Mr Etrange (with the relocation of the restaurant Pipshot'Hangar), but it should change Arcadia Park's image from a regional park to a national park.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:37 PM by Neitsab »
Warner Movie Worlds
(pardon my french!)

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2018, 07:20 AM »
I've died and gone to planco heaven.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2018, 07:32 AM »
Wow Neitsab. Wow! Incredible work!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2018, 07:57 AM »
Damn, Neitsab!  This is what you can do when you "don't have time"?!?!?!?!?!?  Huge amounts of custom stuff everywhere?!?!?!?!?!?   :o  That theater, that ride, inside and out, I didn't see a single stock wall or roof piece anywhere, not to mention all the custom decorative details.  Holy frijole!  That must be a good 10,000 parts in all.

This work is beyond belief, both quality AND quantity.  What's your secret?  My guess is that you have a crew of demon slaves to help speed things along.  Is that a portrait of one of them by the stage?  :w00t:
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Wow Neitsab.  I was totally thinking what Bullethead said about you being limited on time but STILL built your structures piece by piece instead of using the ingame stuff.  You definitely got your money on the custom roof, slightly less on the stage floor but I understand given your timeframe and just the fact that the game works against you when making flat surfaces sometimes.

My faves here are the exterior of the mansion, and that clock.  Oh my, that clock.  I'd tell you about my plans to steal it, but I don't think I'd know how.  Even with the picture blown up large.

I'm also happy I remembered my high school French enough to recognize the word etrange.  :P  Bien joue! (I did have to use google to say that.)

Offline Graystripedkitty

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2018, 10:23 AM »
I don't have time to read everything now, just popping on to post that I didn't make it because I had to take an immediate family member to the hospital all day yesterday. I don't know whether I'll even attempt to finish the next one.... at this point my park is such a cobbled together mess of started but unfinished challenges. I don't want to waste the judges' time on subpar (even for me) work. Thoughts?

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2018, 10:27 AM »
Hope all is ok.

Definitely stick with us please. The more the merrier. It’ll be good to still attempt the individual challenges even if the park as a whole isn’t to your liking.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Sorry to hear about your problems, GSK!  Damn, there are too many personal tragedies going on this time around.

But as PhD said, please try to keep going with this as much as you can.  It at least lets you take your mind off your troubles.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page