Carowinds 2018

• 16 replies

Offline bmdavis4

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Carowinds 2018
« on: August 05, 2018, 07:49 AM »
Hey guys long time reader and I feel like I have been able to get to a new level of my experience.  My home park is Carowinds and I started a recreation.  I am nowhere near done and I wanted to start on the initial layout and then start filling in as I continue to learn more about Planet Coaster.  Enjoy

Whole Park

Intimidator

Disregard the ugly square building near Intimidator its gone

Some more updates,  Just showing the area I have gone through.  Started on Rip Roarin Rapids, (I'm working on the queue cant make a dual station)  Vortex started working on that.  Enjoy none the less.

Just some small updates started on Kiddy Hawk and Carousel park area

So I tried something a little different this go around.  I am placing in the rides and then filling in the scenery

Ricochet and Cyclone

County Fair

Starting around Afterburn and showing off Hurler some.  I am bouncing around areas so I can see what all I am going to be adjusting.

Don't mind Fury in the background.  That is more of a placement thing.

Worried about spacing in this area.  I know its not right.  Going to try and figure something out with it

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Carowinds 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 01:56 PM »
Great start!!  Wow!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Welcome to SGW, bmdavis4.

I look forward to seeing this progress.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 07:48 PM »
Welcome aboard, Bmdavis4!  You're off to a great start.  I know nothing of Carrowinds so look forward to learning about the place.

In the future, though, you might want to maybe reduce the size of your pics a bit.  Normally this forum limits pic size but those blew the limits away, to the point I never could load them all.  I've got pretty crappy bandwidth.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline cap396

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Great start!  I drive by Carowinds on the way home from work everyday, and everything you've shown so far looks spot on.

Offline bmdavis4

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Thanks everybody for the comments.  as I said I am not that great of planet coaster builder but I love this game and I am just having so much fun.

So just a small update as I have had to move somethings around. 

Intimidator has been moved over some so I can fit more of Camp Snoopy in properly.

Also I worked on the queue that way it is not a full queue path just scenery

Beginning of Carousel.  Im trying to make this roof right

Hurler station

Also don't pay attention to the supports and or FURY  I am just beginning to place to see where I am at.

As always enjoy and please give any feedback

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 10:56 PM »
Thats coming right along.  I really like how you got the out-and-back tracks of the red coaster so close and parallel.  I never have much luck doing that.

I'm working on a recreation of a real park myself and am finding it rather challenging on a technical level.  First off, there's the difficulty of trying to make everything the same size as reality, both the park itself and everything in it.  The coasters usually have to have their friction reduced a bit in order to have the same heights for the same footprint, but that's the easy part.  More difficult to deal with are the limitations imposed by the game itself, such as how stations have to be arranged, how their gates, queues, and exits have to be arranged, etc.  These factors frequently require slightly rearranging things compared to reality.  The minimum width of 4m for both paths and wall pieces also requires compromises.  Then there are all the rides that PC doesn't have---do you make fake, non-functional things of them or do you substitute something similar that's in the game?  And all along, you have to balance these decisions against what sort of finished product you want.  Do you want to end up with a functional in-game park, or are you more interested in faithful model that might not work well if you opened it?  Either way, you're still in for a lot of work.  Lots of custom supports, lots of custom roofs, probably several custom fake rides.

Before I tried it myself, I figured it would be easier to do a recreation than make my own park up from scratch, as I have little to no imagination.  Recreation is just copying pictures---how hard could it be?  HA!  In many ways, I found recreating a real park more difficult.  So good luck with this project.  It will definitely test you ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 11:29 PM »
Welcome to SGW! I am liking the progress on this and I am happy to see someone learning more as they move through a project. We all have our learning moments and your standards and building styles will evolve and get better. You are starting off strong and I am excited to see more!

Offline bmdavis4

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 06:27 PM »
So just some updates hopefully you enjoy.  I had a big learning time with some placement and I am having to adjust some areas. Specifically the old county fair area.  I moved them farther away to maybe be able to fit some more of the park in. This is just some updates I am slowly working on and also showing where I am in the process

Theather construction

Fury starting to come in to play

Offline cody

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 08:22 PM »
This is developing nicely! I am very happy to see how this is progressing. I like the final screenshot of this past update because is Fury is looking realistic! Well done!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 04:30 AM »
You're moving right along here.  I think it's a good idea when doing recreations to plunk down stuff in its approximate position so you can figure out how you'll have to arrange everything to make room for paths and various buildings and terrain features.  Also, it helps prevent forgetting things ;).  Anyway, looking good so far!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline bmdavis4

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 03:04 PM »
Just a small update from the actual park.

Carousel Area

Ricochet

Carolina Boatworks and Sweet Frog ( I am going to redo Boatworks)

Camp Snoopy

THE BIG QUESTION
I am debating on how to do this area my spacing is off and if I start really building it will be crunched up. 

What do you feel I should do?

Offline cody

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 07:08 PM »
Awesomeness! I am glad you are working hard on this because I know once it is finished, it will be great! Good work!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 07:39 PM »
You're making me want to research Carrowinds.  Looks like a fun place.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline bmdavis4

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 01:29 PM »
New update

County Fair starting to come into shape.  Plus some night shots

Offline bmdavis4

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Just a new update to Thrill Zone and started working on some more of Fury area

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 06:04 PM »
Never having been to Carrowinds even virtually, I have to ask:  Are the there no signs and other such details on the buildings there?  Or do you plan to go back and pimp them out later?  If the latter, as I've never seen the place, I don't recognize the buildings in their current state.

That said, the basic architecture is impressive and, as I'm assuming you're working from photos, getting the buildings to take the form they have isn't easy :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page