SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #5 (Winners Posted)

• 83 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile

Challenge #5

The people have really begun to warm up to having a theme park in their town. Tourism is growing and the money is rolling in. But now, the few spots to stay overnight in town are being overbooked and the town is asking that you create facilities to house the growing amount of tourists.

Objectives:
~If you haven't yet, you need to purchase the final plot of land.
~Build facilities for overnight guests. You can build a large hotel, a smaller motel, or camp grounds. It's completely up to you.
~If you already have a hotel on the property, then you don't need to add any more overnight facilities. Instead, create a classic Midway with rides/games of chance/vendors etc.
~If you're buying the third plot of land in this challenge, than you must build one of the above options on that land. If you've already bought all three plots during the last challenges, you can build anywhere, just as long as your park is utilizing all three plots by the end of this challenge.

The deadline for this Challenge is Sat. August 25th. Maximum number of screenshots is 8.

Post any questions here. Good luck to all the entrants.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:25 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: SGW Summer Competition 2018 - Challenge #5
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 02:29 PM »
I'll probably be doing like Champ and only getting the entrance sign done this go-round.  Looks like I'll have about 1.5 days to work on it.  Oh well, that's why we have so many challenges, as time and chance happeneth to us all.  Good luck to everybody.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 02:31 PM »
I'll probably be doing like Champ and only getting the entrance sign done this go-round.  Looks like I'll have about 1.5 days to work on it.  Oh well, that's why we have so many challenges, as time and chance happeneth to us all.  Good luck to everybody.
I think you can get a lot done in those 36 hours!!!

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 02:39 PM »
I'm back at home Monday and then have an operation on weds and will be overnight but I will find 2 days to work on it which is how much time I had on the last challenge and that went all right all things considered.

I've got... ideas  ;D
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline PhDisney

• UK based theme park enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 02:39 PM »
My Holiday Inn was praised for the build but criticised for placement. Am I permitted to demolish it and rebuild elsewhere as part of this challenge if I so wish?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 02:42 PM »
I'm back at home Monday and then have an operation on weds and will be overnight but I will find 2 days to work on it which is how much time I had on the last challenge and that went all right all things considered.

Good luck with the surgery, Rug!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 02:43 PM »
My Holiday Inn was praised for the build but criticised for placement. Am I permitted to demolish it and rebuild elsewhere as part of this challenge if I so wish?
Yes, that would be okay.

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 03:18 PM »
1.   I'd like to build the hotel somewhere across the street, (maybe the trailer park) would that be ok as long I start building park stuff on the 3rd plot/Jenkins property in this challenge as well?  If needed, I could argue that my existing log flume does extend slightly across the Jenkins property line :)

2.   Is there anything we cannot build in this challenge to start filling up the 3rd plot? 

Note to ph: I hope by "demolish" you mean "relocate," because it's a really good building.  And keep in mind that if only one judge made that comment that they might not have all felt the same way...

Note to Rug:  Ditto BH on the surgery/recovery, keep us posted after if you're able  :up:

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 03:50 PM »
1.   I'd like to build the hotel somewhere across the street, (maybe the trailer park) would that be ok as long I start building park stuff on the 3rd plot/Jenkins property in this challenge as well?  If needed, I could argue that my existing log flume does extend slightly across the Jenkins property line :)
You can only build on the three plots that you own.

2.   Is there anything we cannot build in this challenge to start filling up the 3rd plot?
You can build anything else you like. But you will only be judged on the specific goals for this challenge. 

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 03:52 PM »

As I see it, the mayor is the slum lord of the trailer park so 1) that's one of his major sources of income (and the only one that's relatively steady) at present, and 2) he knows the property value hasn't yet reached its max value because the park is still relatively small and obscure.  So I'm sure he'd be even less willing to sell right now than Farmer Jenkins.  Besides, I'm sure the ACLU would protest the eviction of all the low-income families, and the feds would probably require you to build some subsidized housing for them nearby to replace the trailer park, like on the Jenkins place you just bought.  So all in all, you're probably better off not touching that :D

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that things like strip joints, head shops, dog-fighting arenas, cock-fighting arenas, nude beaches, stockyards, paper mills, refineries, stripmines, landfills, auto salvage yards, and hazardous waste disposal sites all probably go against local zoning ordinances, which is a shame because I want to build most of those.  :down:
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 04:40 PM »
You can only build on the three plots that you own.

So by the end of this challenge, everyone only has the same three plots, correct?  Nobody is getting the other side of the street.  That is something I misunderstood initially, apologies.

So then, I can/will buy the Jenkins land, and I will build on it, but can I put the new hotel on the unused space of the church lot, maybe even straddle the road like ph did? 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that things like strip joints, head shops, dog-fighting arenas, cock-fighting arenas, nude beaches, stockyards, paper mills, refineries, stripmines, landfills, auto salvage yards, and hazardous waste disposal sites all probably go against local zoning ordinances, which is a shame because I want to build most of those.  :down:

I've still got Expo City.   :P

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 04:55 PM »
So then, I can/will buy the Jenkins land, and I will build on it, but can I put the new hotel on the unused space of the church lot, maybe even straddle the road like ph did? 

"If you're buying the third plot of land in this challenge, than you must build one of the above options on that land."

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Can we build more rides if we want too?

Online Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 12:33 AM »
English aint my main language, so i have to ask: what is a classic midway?

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 12:45 AM »
They said you can build more stuff but you will only be judged for this rounds objectives.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 02:12 AM »
English aint my main language, so i have to ask: what is a classic midway?

Midway isn't used in British English either. Think it's an American term.

My understanding is that it's like a row of buildings containing arcade games, shops, air hockey/table football games. Like what you'd get on a pier at the seaside. To any Americans on here, please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 02:54 AM »
I'm always confused about that but I assume arcade type thing cause midway used to be an arcade game manufacturer.

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 05:11 AM »
Its definitely a term that is open to interpretation. I looked up the formal definition and noticed that they varied a bit. Here is what various dictionaries have to say:

According to Merriam-Webster, a midway is defined as:
"an avenue at a fair, carnival, or amusement park for concessions and amusements"

The definition according to Wikipedia is defined as:
"A midway at a fair (commonly an American fair such as a county or state fair) is the location where carnival games, amusement rides, entertainment and fast-food booths cluster. " (Note, the definition was elaborated further down in the article to also include amusement parks, festivals, circuses, etc)

The definition according to the Cambridge Dictionary:
"a part of a fair, circus, etc. where there are games of skill and other types of entertainment"

The definition according to Dictionary.com:
"the amusements, concessions, etc., located on or around this place or way."

If i interpreted it correctly, it is effectively an area with a cluster of anything associated with amusement parks (rides, food, games, etc). Though please let me know if im wrong or am just muddying the waters.

Offline Graystripedkitty

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 05:44 AM »
I grew up in rural USA with the midway every year at county and state fairs. To us, midway very generally meant the area of the fair where another company came in with a bunch of portable flat rides, food stalls, and overpriced impossible to win games (ring the bottle, shoot the basketball, etc.) and more specifically often referred to the games only. This sort of thing: http://www.wadeshows.com/.

Online Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Thank you all for the explanation! I think i have a general idea what is meant, but i have absolutely no idea how to implement it ingame.

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Also, in some more permanent Amusement parks the midway has a central path with lawns, gardens, walkways, etc. flanked by the rides, booths, games, etc. on either side.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 10:10 AM »

Here's a state fair midway. A midway in a theme park is usually more upscale, with more permanent structures and nice landscaping.

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Think of it as a sort of "Main Street", that channels and flows traffic, usually toward a destination, like the big circus tent or coaster.

Disney creates the ultimate midway when they create their Main Street that leads to the Castle, and the hub to the other lands.

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 10:33 AM »
Without wishing to give too much away, are you happy for us to combine the hotel/midway into one project, as odd as that sounds?

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 11:30 AM »
You mean as amazing as that sounds?!

Offline PhDisney

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Usually that would be the case, but you’re talking to Dr Let’s-Think-It’s-A-Great-Idea-To-Build-A-Holiday-Inn-Across-A-Road!

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2018, 07:59 PM »
Hey Shy, can you give some indication into the number/timeframe of remaining challenges?  Wowman mentioned there was one more after the last one, which would be this one.  If this is the last one I'd like to zone in on my endgame.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2018, 08:47 PM »
There will be one final round after this one.

Online Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2018, 11:07 PM »
I have not started yet, no time unfortunately.

Question: am i allowed to alter the terrain of the third plot? Or does it have to stay flat?

Side note: the news is even more grim than i expected, so times are very uncertain.  That said, and knowing ill be away next weekend, i dont know if i can come up with a valid entree this round.  Ill do my best.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Question: am i allowed to alter the terrain of the third plot? Or does it have to stay flat?
I don't see any reason why you can't do some terraforming on the plot.

Side note: the news is even more grim than i expected, so times are very uncertain.  That said, and knowing ill be away next weekend, i dont know if i can come up with a valid entree this round.  Ill do my best.
Very sorry to hear you're going through some bad times. Stay strong and my thoughts are with you.