Advice For Members?

• 3 replies

Online cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
Advice For Members?
« on: August 18, 2018, 08:09 PM »
So, I just thought of something we can keep going for a real long time. How about we share some advice for the lurkers, potential members, and current members?

One big thing I can say is that in our logo at the top, it says we are a "Community." This is really a true statement! SGW is a community full of talented members who share the same purpose of sharing their works/interests in hopes to inspire others to open up and really start a chain reaction. That is pretty much how this community started and the chain reaction has been going on for over 10 years!

Once you start sharing you see to build a reputation for not only for yourself but also your creations. I can point out some members just from their works alone. Definitely try to get out of your comfort zone a bit because you will get pretty good feedback from others on anything, from the ground to the sky!

Offline FlyingDutchman7

• FD7 Amusement
    • View Profile
Re: Advice For Members?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Want some advice? Post your creations on the forums. Don't be shy! They're never bad!
Also, compete in the big competitions. They're lots of fun!

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 01:09 PM »
I probably should write about "how to get beyond the green canvas syndrome" here, as I recently got out of my lethargy and started creating in RCT3 again.

Some things that helped me a lot to get started with my new project, Alpen-Park:

1. I ditched the concept of path covers and planters for the first early years of the timeline. I just used brick borders framing an invisible path, and used earth or sand terrain instead of a solid path. Only later, when I was already back in the habit, I turned them all to solid paths.

2. Making timeline parks with a limited palette of rides at the beginning is surely an easier way to start or return to RCT, rather than planning a big detailed park in full. Many parks also started with poor theming, and very basic in general. While this approach is not "the best you can do", and probably not SGW's most stunning project ever, it's only realistic! Make use of that, its purpose isn't to shine on the forums, the purpose is you to get started creating and posting (again).

3. If you hesitate whether you should continue with an old project or start from scratch:
Start from scratch. Use the terrain painting tool to line out the park roughly, don't spend too much time on parking lots (if at all), don't even think about building a road to your park, just plan with a maximum of 10 rides for the start. Focus on what's the most important to you. If a detailed locker room is the most important, then hey, focus on that ;)

4. Probably most important: In this early stage, you should develop a feeling for your project. What atmosphere does your future park have in your imagination? What are some lovely flaws (on purpose), what are you looking forward to to turn from idea into (virtual) reality? Once you fall in love with your concept, you're more than ready to start planning and building.
I think my best project here on SGW, Tauber-Park, is also my smallest park, with the least spectacular rides. Focus on your feelings, not on an impressive concept, and it should get you started quickly. Every small park can turn into an impressive one at a later point, because you're in charge. Just avoid placing it into a valley. Which leads me to the second last point...

5. Make sure your park can extend at whatever point in time, in whatever direction. Leave placeholders wherever possible, don't get your area too dense too quickly.

6. And finally, something more psychological: You are not too old to build theme parks on a computer.

Have fun creating!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:11 PM by Elch »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 03:05 PM »
6. And finally, something more psychological: You are not too old to build theme parks on a computer.
This is a good one. This is a mature forum, with members in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. It's never too late to show off the child inside you, and here you can share your creations and ideas with like-minded and young-at-heart members who won't look at you funny when you say you play computer games or build virtual theme parks in your spare time.

And not to leave out the younger crowd. Yes, there are plenty of young people sharing their work here as well. And I consider them also a mature group of individuals. There's no drama here and no annoying childish shenanigans that you may find on other similar forums. We share our work and our passions, our ideas and our dreams. We support and inspire one another. So what are you waiting for? Whether you play Planet Coaster, Parkitect, Nolimits, or any of the Rollercoaster Tycoon games, come and join us. It's no fun to play by yourself. ;)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot