Lake Jeronimo Park (SGW Summer Competition)

• 24 replies
Lake Jeronimo Park (SGW Summer Competition)
« on: September 02, 2018, 08:42 PM »

When I left off with my story, I was starting to talk about five years worth of changes to the park that happened once they doubled their footprint with the Jenkins acquisition, and I also showed you the growth that had taken place in surrounding Planco City thanks to the boom in tourism.

I think I also showed a shot of the new observatory that had replaced the steakhouse, which as it turns out, was not entirely finished at that time.  Here's the observatory as it stands today.

We not only lost the steakhouse, but another planned restaurant near the log flume was replaced with a VIP lodge hotel.  So we scrambled quickly and put up "Tastes Like Chicken" a sit-down cafeteria style restaurant that mostly serves, well, chicken.

Beyond that, we made adding a kiddie land into a priority as there hadn't been much for the kids to do in this park prior.  A new small coaster and some appropriate flat rides were given a fishing-hole theme, because, nature.  [The coaster is from my first PC park Copper Creek, unchanged.  The flats are mostly from Worlds of Fun, re-themed slightly.]

The Wild Moose coaster had been in the park for a few seasons, I think we didn't show it previously because it was one of those years that the city didn't want us to add any new coasters.  It feels much more dangerous than your usual wild mouse due to it's proximity along the top of the cliffs and the track being built around a cluster of existing trees in this area, making you feel like you could smack into one with every turn.  It's fun, you should totally ride it.

Ambitious plans were made for expanding the land behind our Timber Town section, and they ended up backfiring on us.  Three coasters were initially planned, only one was built.

"Cliffhanger" is built at the top of the cliffs on the Jenkins land, a mine train that starts at it's highest elevation and takes you gradually down the hill, where you don't see either of the two lift hills until the end of the ride.  [Another import from Copper Creek, mostly unchanged.]

As you can see above, we did get the giant swing into this area as well.  But then before the next two coasters could be completed, the city enacted another coaster ban on us.  Seems the infrastructure of Planco City was never designed to support this level of growth, particularly amongst people who don't actually live here.  The plethora of minimum wage jobs also created a worker shortage so it might actually be for the best that we had to stop our expansion here (and also explains how Becky was able to get her job back, AGAIN.)

The "Steeplechase" wooden coaster, and "Octane" launched coasters were never built, even though their stations were.  We had even started some extensive terraforming to accomodate both coasters, but for now that land will remain fenced off from the public.  [Both coasters were built, see my notes below.]

"Octane" would have been part of a new land themed to racing, and, um, stuff.  (Naming these lands was never a strong suit for me or my staff.)  A go-kart track, relocation of the bumper cars, and a couple more flat rides were planned for the area, and currently we're not sure if and when that is going to happen.

So Lake Jeronimo Park is currently at a standstill, and even I have had to start looking for other work.  Down on the beach, the city pulled back on any plans they had made for that boardwalk, save for a couple of small vintage flats and a hot air balloon ride that had been added in prior seasons.

And as for Old Man Jenkins, well, turns out he wasn't sick and he wasn't even as old as we thought he was.  He stopped planting crops because some recent changes to tax laws cost him all his customers.  It seems he spent a lot of his time living in the past, and what he apparently wanted most was to make Planco City great again, like it was in his childhood.  He forgot the fact that his family were just poor farmers that entire time, but mostly, he was a kid and all memories, even bad ones, gain fondness as we age. 

After about three seasons Jenkins was no longer able to pay the mortgage on the land he "inherited" from his parents, one of those loans that was designed to never be paid off.  Jenkins sold the land to us, (if we had known about the pending coaster ban we might've reconsidered) and in exchange for the reasonable sale price, we left him the small plot that contained his house and barn.  Granted, we made no effort to create a barrier between him and the park, but we still felt that was quite generous.

We're not even sure if he still lives there, it's been awfully quiet the past couple years.  Everyone is afraid to investigate, not sure what he might be hiding in that big barn, if anything.  For all we know it could just be the skeletal remains of Jenkins himself, dangling from the rafters.

Ironically, the people changing all the tax laws and rebuilding his childhood neighborhood are all the people that he himself voted for.  And in the end, Planco City did become great, just not a great place for poor people like Jenkins or minimum wage park employees.

That is the end of the Lake Jeronimo story, for now.  But times change, and so do laws.  So perhaps the best is yet to come for this former little ice skating rink at the top of a lakeside cliff.  With any luck, things could even start to look better as soon as November.

Park download: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1501839973

Images:  https://www.customscenerydepot.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=3826

------------------------------------------------------

So the true story is this: The end of the competition came a little sooner than I expected, was thinking maybe one or two more challenges before the final upload.   Once that happened and I had a bunch of things started, I sort of lost my enthusiasm, mostly because I knew I wouldn't get finished.  The final rides weren't going to get the level of theming I wanted, and there definitely wasn't enough time to do my racecar land.  So I deleted two of the coasters (but left the station and the terraforming) and tried to focus on the mine train, but even that ended up getting half-assed.  This is totally my own problem, I went into this with an entire park in mind because that seems to be the only thing I know how to build.  I don't think that's possible to do in a competition, and now I know.  :)

BUT I thoroughly enjoyed finally experiencing a competition as an actual competitor, and I have a new respect for what everyone goes through.  I got to play with a great and talented team of builders, and got some great feedback that I might not have gotten otherwise.  And also, that Steeplechase coaster I built kind of exceeded my expectations, and once I knew I couldn't finish it properly, I didn't want to waste it here.  Which gave me my idea for my next park.  So, totally worth it.

Offline nazmakhan

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Lake Jeronimo Park (SGW Summer Competition)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 02:27 AM »
It is a very nice and realistic park. The delicate details and landscaping are very impressive. Thank you for sharing.

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 02:30 AM »
This looks absolutely fabulous JPAlmight. I take my hat off. Though we were in the same competition, i was never up your level of entrees. :)

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Just looked at this park in game......NUCKING FUTS!!!!!!! It's absolutely BRILLIANT!!!!! There is more creativity in one block of this park than there is in everything I've ever attempted in PlanCo. It's just gorgeous. I spent about 2 hours just deconstructing things to see the genius behind it all. Well done!!!
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 12:07 PM »
 :o :scared: :ohmy:

I can't wait to explore this one!

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 12:45 PM »
Loading your park right now to explore and judge. I have to say, for wishing there were a few more challenges, you really added a lot to this final look. I feel like its going to be days for me to explore the whole thing. Good thing you submitted this early.
:)

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 07:11 PM »
There is a lot going on in this park. The level of detail in the theming is incredible, this park is just amazing. Well done!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 07:59 PM »
JP, the sheer amount of stuff you manage to cram into parks, both big stuff and little details, and still arrange it neatly and attractively, never ceases to amaze me.

I really look forward to strolling the paths of LJP, not only to observe its beauty 1st hand but also to see how you built some of the crazy stuff in there :).  But that will have to wait until I get my own entry finished.

It's been fun competing with you this summer ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Sorry, BH.......he's got everyone beat......his park is beyond amazing in detail and everything else.
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 08:21 PM »
Sorry, BH.......he's got everyone beat......his park is beyond amazing in detail and everything else.

Oh, I dunno.  There's still a week.  With the public now able to get into this park, "accidents" can happen, ya know?  I don't think there are many fire pumps..... :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 05:54 AM »
Great final entry JP. Really enjoyed exploring the park last night. Comments to follow once everyone has been ranked.

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 06:18 AM »
Oh, I dunno.  There's still a week.  With the public now able to get into this park, "accidents" can happen, ya know?  I don't think there are many fire pumps..... :)

There's certainly not any where they are most needed.   ;)

Seriously, thank you all so much for the nice comments, it's especially nice hearing from people who weren't judges or participants.  I kind of feel like these contests aren't really about competing against other players, it's more about competing with yourself, and if you follow all the threads you will see that everybody came out a winner this summer.  All of these parks are quite literally, everyone's best work so far.   :up:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:29 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 11:26 PM »
I'm so impressed by this park! It looks so fantastic. The details and insipiration to be found here are awesome!! I like those custom rides so much and the aerial pictures are pure fascination.
A lot of greets, Corkscrewloop :)
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 03:36 AM »
I went round again today. I'm awe struck again. Every detail is amazing. Love the custom kiddie rides! Love the lamposts.  Love the layout of the.midway games and the coaster stations/signs!

I could go on and on and on. It's insanely good. I hope you are proud of it.
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 06:41 AM »
I've only gotten to take a quick peek so far but even that totally blew me away.  How you managed to fit all that stuff on the map, both in terms of time and space, let alone engage in major urban renewal, is beyond me ;).
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 10:25 AM »
OK, after further review.... WOW!  The genius of this place.  I stole so many good ideas :).  Even the unfinished stuff behind the farm is excellent.

I don't know why you don't like your Galaxi.  I thought it was quite fun.  Sure, it's rather bigger than the real things but that's OK, it's still a fun ride and the wild mouse works quite well on it.  The only problem I noticed is that just as you come into the station, there's an 8m custom support post right in the middle of the track.  I'm pretty sure it's a leftover because it's just floating there, not connected to anything.

I naturally admired the interior of my brewpub, especially as it has my motto on the wall  :up:.  Also, I'm proud to note that the horrible traffic accident wasn't caused by a bar patron.  I'll be after the driver of the black car for damages to my building and loss of a good customer  :yes:

There are some strange goings on in this park, though.  I'll post a pic when I'm able....  :o
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline BBordewyk

• Just another armchair imagineer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Finally checked this out today, and it is awesome! Great to see my lamposts being put to use too. :D

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 09:02 PM »
Here's the weirdness I noticed...

I was strolling the main midway area passing the General Store and noticed the sign saying there was a restroom around the back.  As I needed to go, I ducked inside and was confronted a guard, a janitor, and a vendor getting entirely too friendly (pic on the left).

Needless to say, I left them to whatever they were doing and made a lap around the central store complex.  But I still needed to go so, figuring they were done by now, I went back in.  And discovered it had gone from a 3-way to at least a 5-way (pic on the right).

I'm not one to say what folks want to do for fun, but as this seemed to be happening on company time, I thought I'd bring it to your attention :)

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 07:53 AM »
Thanks so much everyone.

BB, your lamp posts were a lifesaver both for time purposes and because they are far more intricate than anything I could come up with.  I plan to get much use out of this set and I can't endorse it enough to anyone who hasn't subscribed yet.

BH, even in final test rides I missed that support post.  As you said, all the blue kind of blends and if you're not watching closely it's easy to miss.  The coaster was moved slightly after the supports were added and that piece obviously wasn't attached to the building.  My bad, although I do feel proud that first I hit you in the face with a tree and now this.

Spoiler (hover to show)

As for that bathroom fiasco, well, I'd like to say that kids will be kids and leave it at that, but our janitor is no spring chicken.  Mostly I'm surprised that Becky was not involved.  I'd fire them all if I still worked there, but for now I would suggest reporting it to our HR department in the main office.  I'm also just thankful there were no children present.

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 12:26 AM »
JP, the park is absolutely fantastic! I've spent almost two hours yesterday exploring it and checking it out. I like the creativity so much and all the filigrane details on the buildings and scenery! I took a lot of inspiration with me. I'm amazed that you have put that together in that short time and under time pressure of the challenges and still make it look so beautiful and perfect.
Thanks for sharing! Looking foreward to what you do next!
A lot of greets, Corkscrewloop :)
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 01:44 AM »
Awesome pictures JPAlmighT, my compliments!  :up:

I have 2 questions about your second picture, the observartory.
- Those 2 wooden (i assume its wood) beams on the right: are they part of the base game or a DLC?
- The object on top of the round statue: does it represent a radiating beam?
I admit my first thought was 'hey, that looks like an english telephone booth'  :P

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 04:15 AM »
I think you're referring to the 2 logs turned on their side?

For the "phone booth", it's only supposed to be a decorative light fixture that fits the theme of the area.  The light itself with the horizontal slats is part of BBordewyk's light set.   But I think we can go with "radiating beam" as well, because that adds much more purpose than what I intended ;)

Thanks for the compliments!

And thanks to you as well, corkscrewloop!

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 05:03 AM »
I think you're referring to the 2 logs turned on their side?

For the "phone booth", it's only supposed to be a decorative light fixture that fits the theme of the area.  The light itself with the horizontal slats is part of BBordewyk's light set.   But I think we can go with "radiating beam" as well, because that adds much more purpose than what I intended ;)

Thanks for the compliments!

And thanks to you as well, corkscrewloop!

yes, i meant the 2 logs. I have not found them ingame , but maybe i have not searched well enough. :)
I did see the same decorative idea come back in the door in the background so i assumed it was meant as theme-binding.
I will check out the light set you mentioned.

Offline Berlin87

• Park Lunamoon
    • View Profile
    • Planet Coaster Fans on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 02:32 AM »
I am blown away by this park. Beautiful. Love all the details, can't believe how HUGE it is! Wonderful work as always, JP, although I feel you really outdid yourself on this one.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 01:32 PM »
You've created a bit of a gem here. And I can totally get how you.felt burnt out by the end of the comp. It was totally worth the effort though.
I can't wait to visit and spend some time chilling out in there.
Amazing stuff.