American Heritage - Planet Coaster Park

• 33 replies

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
American Heritage - Planet Coaster Park
« on: September 04, 2018, 08:29 PM »
So in an attempt to actually nail down my final theme going forward, I'm finally going to start a thread for this park and try and document some of the things swirling about in my head.

My park pays homage to American heritage, focusing on its growth and prosperity following independence. The goal isn't to make some one dimensional image that tries to make claims about the REAL America, or overhype the poor and disenfranchised over the rich, or turn it into some binary political fantastyland that discounts large and important aspects of American life, making some pointless social statement. Rather, its goal is to put the achievements on display and let people make their own decisions. Which itself is what America is supposed to be about. /rant

American Heritage

Upon entering the park, you're greeted with a grand Victorian style train station. This is the gateway to the park's entrance plaza. The Victorian style is an image of grandeur, of promise, of prosperity.

Upon entering under the arches, you see the Victorian stylings blend into something more reminiscent of New Orleans, a city that sees itself blended between the grandeur of intricate ironwork, and the more utiilitarian rough and tumble cities of the Northeast.

As you move into the plaza, the theater, a classic symbol of American culture, shines bright. Now playing is the movie 'The Untouchables'. The theater is also equipped for full scale live stage productions and concerts.

The plaza showcases a wonderful green space, and at its center, a hearty oak tree which existed on the site prior to the park being constructed and the park was built around it. It's a symbol of America's resiliency and longevity. (No worries, the American flag will be prominent at the end of the street, in a far more obnoxious display of America. :mad:up:)

The opposite side of the plaza has a hotel.. a more modern addition to America. Thinking of restyling this to age it back quite a few more decades to a pre-modern styling since I can't really rectify it with its surrounding as is.

Circumnavigating the whole of the entrance plaza is an early out-and-back style coaster. This coaster is modeled after a defunct one which once existed near the site around the turn of the century. The blueprints were dug up and the ride rebuilt (with some liberties and modernizations) as close as possible to the construction methods of the time.

At the corner of the plaza leading down the street, is of course, your classic corner store. Here, the elegant stylings begin to really give way for a style more akin to Chicago.

One further, you see a stocky, yet quaint building selling ice cream. Right next to it run the subway tracks, bisecting the street as the march of American progress brings new technology right against the small town.

At the other corner, another blunted off, sturdy building marks another key to American culture, and really any culture, a restaurant and bar. This particular restaurant is a bar and grill, selling some of the best food at the park.

More rugged buildings continue down this side of the street. An alleyway cuts the street, and beyond are many quirky shops and bars.

As you crawl under the tracks, you see the grandeur of America, though less ornate, continue to creep through. This building is to house a roller rink. Once a prim and proper custom revolving around dance reserved solely for the rich, one entrepreneur sought to bring the hobby to the middle and lower class by undercutting the monopoly by selling his own model of skates at a much lower price, and removing rules restrictions at his rink, making the hobby ultimately way more fun and marketable to all. Soon, the country had tons of the places.

Roller rinks aren't very popular anymore, though roller skating and ice skating are still quite popular, and roller derby has seen a resurgence.

Further up, there's bits of modernity coming through. The buildings start to take on a more refined look.

Some more modern touches again, as the construction styles of the past begin to mash into modern storefronts.

And you turn the corner..

--------------------------------------------------

That's as far as I've gotten. I obviously need to try and bring forward its American character more than I have, that's something that I'm working through as I add signage and storefronts etc.. I'm trying to avoid having it be a caricature of America and turn into that bright, cartoony feel that the Disney main streets have. Walt saw Marceline through the eyes of a wide eyed child and sought to preserve this utopian vision with a perfectly trimmed park that had no imperfections. I'm going for something more human.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: American Heritage - Planet Coaster Park
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 10:52 PM »
This looks awesome so far. Especially that train station. :o

I love the way this park has a Disney vibe to it, but without the stereotypical Disney look. It does though, remind me a little of Disney California Adventure, with very a similar architectural style. Can't wait to see where you go with this.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 05:43 AM »
Beautiful, Grrt.  I've been anxiously awaiting a thread for this one and I'm not disappointed.   I'll probably be studying these pictures for weeks to come and still failing miserably at any attempts to rival them.  I think the turret in picture 2 is what grabbed my attention the most and one of the first things I want to draw inspiration from (the train station is so far out of my league it's not even funny).    As for nailing a theme, I think you've got it, architecturally anyway.  Anything you add to this is only going to fit in all the better.

Apologies if a recent post of mine offended you or anyone else, that was not my intent.  I also don't want to derail this beautiful thread so I'll leave it at that and hope that we're cool. 

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 06:20 AM »
great building skill here. I love the look. thx for sharing

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 07:16 AM »
Such fantastic buildings (and unbelievable train station)!  This is a master class on building styles and the details they require.  Great work!
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 08:55 AM »
THAT TRAIN STATION!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 11:06 PM »
This looks absolutely awesome!! Perfect imagineered buildings, nicely colored and such a real style of architecture. You really manage to bring in the vintage pack pieces (but not only) into good looking buildings! Fantastic work! Can't wait to see more!
A lot of greets, Corkscrewloop :)
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 03:34 PM »
In love. Introducing rhyme and reason to your structures and design choices really provides a sense of purpose for both the park and guests who explore it. Disneyland succeeds in charm because of its history and its sense of purpose through designed environments. It touches on elements that are memorable and recognizable, but creates worlds in a way that allows the guest to understand and tell a story. A tree isnt placed in a spot just to be placed there, it has reason to it much like it would in reality (especially in a more urban landscape) and that makes it familiar. You've really captured it that essence well.

The railway that bisects the street overhead creates not only a visual transition from one style of architecture to the next, but a historically symbolic progression from old into new. Brilliant. Well done. 
Initiating power transfer...

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 12:05 PM »
This is all pretty astounding. There are so many architectural gems here. And I love the fact that you have somewhere that sells stuff and junk ;)

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Well, it's been a little while, but progress is still being made! Thanks all for the nice comments. I will try and update you all as concisely as I can...

To begin, I have landed on a general 'theme' to guide my different lands. It follows 5 of the 7 so-called American values or beliefs that have fairly well guided America.

The entrance land is an homage to patriotism. Similar to an Ellis Island type feel. Grandiose, perfect. My entrance is not in showable state, but will be guided by Americana. As you enter the plaza, you delve into the communal center of America, the city. Here there is a melting pot of ideas where cultures aren't diluted, but individualized in a way that builds community.

Closeup 1

Closeup 2

Closeup 3

Closeup 4

Closeup 5

At the end of the urban complex you reach the harbor. The gateway to all of America, and it's symbol of mobility, manifest destiny, and the link that connects it's vast area.

Here there is a lighthouse and a boat.

You can enjoy harbor food here as well.

If you veer right, you're greeted by an old coal town, an homage to those who built the country searching for a living for themselves, and a better living for those who would come after.

A coaster traverses an old coal facility.

For all those living off of meager wages, there is one eager entrepreneur who's struck it rich.

What lies within these walls?

Perhaps the graveyard will yield some clues..

The train passes through.

The grand foyer.

A darkness lurks.

A look at the most newly developed land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL35WlPokqE&feature=youtu.be

The lighting in action...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:23 PM by Grrt »

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 05:18 AM »
this park looks very clean and well structured/laid out. Very nice

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 07:09 AM »
That's some thoroughly excellent architecture Grrt!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Just gorgeous!  I love the color changing lights on the Space Mountainy thing!!!   :o

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Lovely shots! Great update!

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 10:53 PM »
Wow, this is amazing!! These pictures look so great! Every picture is pure pleasure! The old coal town with the B&M inverted, what a great stage to present such a ride... The foyer pic is blowing me away, that interiour is some of the best I've seen so far! And the harbour area works so well -the lighthouse catched my eye!!! Can't wait to see more!!
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 04:22 AM »
So I had forgotten the name of your park and just clicked the thread and started from the bottom up, and kept thinking "Holy cow, WHO DID THIS?"  As I got to the top of this update it finally started to click for me.  Of course it's you, your architecture takes no prisoners.  The photography and presentation only highlights the content all the more. 

I really like the new land and how it contrasts so much with everything prior, yet somehow seems to fit.  And the grand foyer shot is one of the best interiors I've seen anyone do in this game so far.

I remember awhile back how you were struggling with the theme and how to make all your ideas fit together, but I think you've got it.  And while so much has been built so far, the overhead shows room for a lot more, as well as the fun part (to me at least) of theming all the transition spaces between the lands so it all connects seamlessly.  Really looking forward to seeing how you do it. 

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 11:51 AM »
this park looks very clean and well structured/laid out. Very nice

Thanks! The layout has been giving me much headaches, but it's slowly working itself out.

That's some thoroughly excellent architecture Grrt!

Thanks! Architecture is always fun in this game.

Just gorgeous!  I love the color changing lights on the Space Mountainy thing!!!   :o

Thanks Fisherman! I shouldn't have touched the sequencer, cause now I want to sequence everything haha.

Lovely shots! Great update!

Thanks Redhair!

Wow, this is amazing!! These pictures look so great! Every picture is pure pleasure! The old coal town with the B&M inverted, what a great stage to present such a ride... The foyer pic is blowing me away, that interiour is some of the best I've seen so far! And the harbour area works so well -the lighthouse catched my eye!!! Can't wait to see more!!

Thanks a bunch! Those areas were a lot of work and I'm glad it payed off!

So I had forgotten the name of your park and just clicked the thread and started from the bottom up, and kept thinking "Holy cow, WHO DID THIS?"  As I got to the top of this update it finally started to click for me.  Of course it's you, your architecture takes no prisoners.  The photography and presentation only highlights the content all the more. 

I really like the new land and how it contrasts so much with everything prior, yet somehow seems to fit.  And the grand foyer shot is one of the best interiors I've seen anyone do in this game so far.

I remember awhile back how you were struggling with the theme and how to make all your ideas fit together, but I think you've got it.  And while so much has been built so far, the overhead shows room for a lot more, as well as the fun part (to me at least) of theming all the transition spaces between the lands so it all connects seamlessly.  Really looking forward to seeing how you do it. 

Thanks! I'm still very much struggling with theme in parts, but I'm at the point now where I'm sick of the fiddling and am starting to make final commitments to where things go and what they are. Once I get that settled, the architecture and detailing is the easy part. I had some help from Brandon (not sure his name on here..) with some of the lighting in the foyer scene and it turned out great.

So I'll try and update this thread more regularly from now on..

The new land will feature lots of open walking space and many variety of flora.

At night it shines brightly.

Be sure to stop in the pavilion for some delicious eats and a variety of entertainment.

Named 'Professor Octopi's Secret Lair' the coaster in this new land will be a thrilling family coaster with tons of long swooping fun drops. It reaches a top speed of 56 mph, with a max drop height of 81 ft.

Here is a preview of the lift animation. (This was a huge pain to make. 530-ish lights synced up to a chase pattern.)

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 12:25 PM »
The lighting sequence in the lift is awesome. But I wouldn't expect anything less from the king of lighting! ;)

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 12:38 PM »
The lighting sequence in the lift is awesome. But I wouldn't expect anything less from the king of lighting! ;)

(Don't tell anyone, but I actually had to film the clip at double speed because I cued them too slow and didn't want to go in and change 530+ lights again. :P)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 04:14 PM »
Looks outstanding, Grrt!  As for redoing the lights, I assume they're in rings.  Why not just delete all but 1 ring, change that 1, then copy that ring down the tube/
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 04:41 PM »
Looks outstanding, Grrt!  As for redoing the lights, I assume they're in rings.  Why not just delete all but 1 ring, change that 1, then copy that ring down the tube/

Unfortunately cues don't also copy when you copy lights. If I did that I'd still have to re-sequence each new ring individually. The game developers kinda dropped the ball on the sequencer haha. It's built for small scale individual objects with very little symmetry. Like a single scene in a dark ride where like, a few lights come on, or a short fireworks show which basically has no repetition. Anything involving groups or copy paste or looping is a nightmare.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Strange.  I thought that if you copied a sequencer and its associated lights, the copy would be wired up just like the 1st.  Then you'd just need 1 master sequencer calling each ring sequencer, and you'd just have to put delays on the calls to the ring sequencers.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Strange.  I thought that if you copied a sequencer and its associated lights, the copy would be wired up just like the 1st.  Then you'd just need 1 master sequencer calling each ring sequencer, and you'd just have to put delays on the calls to the ring sequencers.

Well as far as I can tell, copying a sequencer literally just copies the sequencer and everything embedded in it, this includes the encoded data about which lights it addresses. So when you create a copy, it still looks to the original lights and not the copied lights. There may be a way to exploit it by saving a blueprint of each ring and bringing it in, thus preserving the connection between sequencer and light without retaining knowledge of the copy. I'll have to try that later.. My concern is that you have to somehow sync all of the sequencers to the same time delay without having them connect to each other, which may prove to be just as much work.

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 03:25 PM »
That lift hill is trippy!   :o

Some seriously beautiful architecture in this park, nice job! 

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 04:44 PM »
That lift hill is trippy!   :o

Some seriously beautiful architecture in this park, nice job! 

Thanks a bunch! Hope you stick around to see more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Heritage - Coal Town

I'll start at the rear entrance as the front one is much more incomplete. Here the invert flies over a sign directing you into town. (I'm still sorting out the best way to do the lettering here..)

This area has been heavily opened up. In the center is a 'runoff' pond so to speak where all the gross coal pollution would have been dumped into. My park of course has a state of the art filtration system and engages in no water source pollution.

At the head of the pond is a sawmill. This is where the coal miners would go to get the wood necessary to build up all the giant structures they would need for their mining infrastructure as it rapidly expanded. It has the added benefit of making sure the park water basin doesn't stagnate.

Water would be pumped from the sawmill and make its way to this culvert on the other edge of the pond where it would be pumped for re-circulation back to the sawmill.

One of the three main attractions is of course, this B&M invert that flies through the breaker structure. This attraction has mostly been patched up and completed on this side.

The land also has a family mine train coaster. You enter through a mine shaft which takes you into the depths of the mine.

You eventually emerge from the depths of the mine and are spit out the top of the breaker to meander through the pathways and back into the station.

There are some very tight clearances and interactions with the pathway as well as the invert.

Thirsty for a drink? Stop by Kudo's beer and wine cart to get all the booze you can drink! (Two drinks per customer.)

But watch out, there's some competition from the local shiner, undercutting the price to drive him out of business!

If you round a corner you can find your way to the elusive entrance area to the invert. It takes you through the train yard where the coal hoppers are loaded to be taken wherever they might be needed.

The yard sits in a valley overlooked by a firetower. It is also a favorite place for grifters to come by trying to lure in those coal mine workers. This one seems to have been driven out of town, and awful quick if he left behind his wagon.

At night the area takes on a warm glow. The coaster threads over the administration and depot office.

The light here is known to flicker as the train rushes by. (I don't have a video, but I did manage to program a little flicker effect which is triggered by the train coming past. It's subtle but gives the area a little more life and movement.)

An overview of the area for those who like that sort of thing. You can see where the park train actually comes through and goes across the pathway. (This is an earlier shot, so the restaurant you see in the background has been deleted.)

The watch tower and some hand carts sitting off the track for when they are needed.

Area lighting has begun to fill in around the area as well.

#whatsintheshaft

Some easy but subtle lighting tricks are employed around the area to give some moonlight glow on dark objects. As well as some brute force lighting tricks such as on the wood support structure.

As the coal demand keeps growing, the nights keep getting later and later! The mining company has been forced to install electric lighting to keep the plant running into the night.

And of course, these gentleman don't mind staying a bit later to get those end of day crowds.

And I'll leave you with one more shot, this being from the harbor area which is coming soon.[/img]
[/i]

Offline Bylateral

• Astro
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 04:53 PM »
This park looks absolutely spectacular so far, I can't even begin to describe how much I love those custom supports on the B&M Invert. And well done on the fences, I assume those have been tedious to place around the park. You've got a talent for theming and detailing, this park amazes me.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 05:07 PM »
Half those screenshots look like real photos...the attention to detail and realism is top notch.
That train yard! :o

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 05:16 PM »
This park looks absolutely spectacular so far, I can't even begin to describe how much I love those custom supports on the B&M Invert. And well done on the fences, I assume those have been tedious to place around the park. You've got a talent for theming and detailing, this park amazes me.

The fences were a big pain yes, haha. And the B&M supports were kinda just a fluke and I'm amazed they turned out. When I was building them I got a lot of pushback for ruining the elegance of a B&M, which was exactly what I wanted to do haha.

Half those screenshots look like real photos...the attention to detail and realism is top notch.
That train yard! :o

I had a good bit of help in the train yard. Wings & Strings created a lot of the little tidbits and structures. And Kudo made me the engine and the coal hopper, as well as gave me quite a bit of direction on how a train yard actually looks and functions haha.

I'll add one bonus post cause I found another shot I liked.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 10:36 PM »
I love all the dried up, overgrown brush. It goes a long way to achieving the long-time forgotten look of the place. (I hesitate to call it a park because it looks so real as an old industrial area.) :)  Plus, everything is the same bleached-out gray/tan palette of colors: wood structures, foliage, water, shops, tracks- everything. Not a false note anywhere to ruin the illusion that you're in an old abandoned industrial site. :up:

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 07:38 AM »
Man, just beautiful Grrt.  All the shots are perfect, but my favorite has got to be the overhead looking down on the train yard.   It's everything.

And I really hope you were able to get most of this built before they broke the X/Y axis move, because with all those custom fences I just can't imagine...