American Heritage - Planet Coaster Park

• 8 replies

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
American Heritage - Planet Coaster Park
« on: September 04, 2018, 08:29 PM »
So in an attempt to actually nail down my final theme going forward, I'm finally going to start a thread for this park and try and document some of the things swirling about in my head.

My park pays homage to American heritage, focusing on its growth and prosperity following independence. The goal isn't to make some one dimensional image that tries to make claims about the REAL America, or overhype the poor and disenfranchised over the rich, or turn it into some binary political fantastyland that discounts large and important aspects of American life, making some pointless social statement. Rather, its goal is to put the achievements on display and let people make their own decisions. Which itself is what America is supposed to be about. /rant

American Heritage

Upon entering the park, you're greeted with a grand Victorian style train station. This is the gateway to the park's entrance plaza. The Victorian style is an image of grandeur, of promise, of prosperity.

Upon entering under the arches, you see the Victorian stylings blend into something more reminiscent of New Orleans, a city that sees itself blended between the grandeur of intricate ironwork, and the more utiilitarian rough and tumble cities of the Northeast.

As you move into the plaza, the theater, a classic symbol of American culture, shines bright. Now playing is the movie 'The Untouchables'. The theater is also equipped for full scale live stage productions and concerts.

The plaza showcases a wonderful green space, and at its center, a hearty oak tree which existed on the site prior to the park being constructed and the park was built around it. It's a symbol of America's resiliency and longevity. (No worries, the American flag will be prominent at the end of the street, in a far more obnoxious display of America. :mad:up:)

The opposite side of the plaza has a hotel.. a more modern addition to America. Thinking of restyling this to age it back quite a few more decades to a pre-modern styling since I can't really rectify it with its surrounding as is.

Circumnavigating the whole of the entrance plaza is an early out-and-back style coaster. This coaster is modeled after a defunct one which once existed near the site around the turn of the century. The blueprints were dug up and the ride rebuilt (with some liberties and modernizations) as close as possible to the construction methods of the time.

At the corner of the plaza leading down the street, is of course, your classic corner store. Here, the elegant stylings begin to really give way for a style more akin to Chicago.

One further, you see a stocky, yet quaint building selling ice cream. Right next to it run the subway tracks, bisecting the street as the march of American progress brings new technology right against the small town.

At the other corner, another blunted off, sturdy building marks another key to American culture, and really any culture, a restaurant and bar. This particular restaurant is a bar and grill, selling some of the best food at the park.

More rugged buildings continue down this side of the street. An alleyway cuts the street, and beyond are many quirky shops and bars.

As you crawl under the tracks, you see the grandeur of America, though less ornate, continue to creep through. This building is to house a roller rink. Once a prim and proper custom revolving around dance reserved solely for the rich, one entrepreneur sought to bring the hobby to the middle and lower class by undercutting the monopoly by selling his own model of skates at a much lower price, and removing rules restrictions at his rink, making the hobby ultimately way more fun and marketable to all. Soon, the country had tons of the places.

Roller rinks aren't very popular anymore, though roller skating and ice skating are still quite popular, and roller derby has seen a resurgence.

Further up, there's bits of modernity coming through. The buildings start to take on a more refined look.

Some more modern touches again, as the construction styles of the past begin to mash into modern storefronts.

And you turn the corner..

--------------------------------------------------

That's as far as I've gotten. I obviously need to try and bring forward its American character more than I have, that's something that I'm working through as I add signage and storefronts etc.. I'm trying to avoid having it be a caricature of America and turn into that bright, cartoony feel that the Disney main streets have. Walt saw Marceline through the eyes of a wide eyed child and sought to preserve this utopian vision with a perfectly trimmed park that had no imperfections. I'm going for something more human.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: American Heritage - Planet Coaster Park
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 10:52 PM »
This looks awesome so far. Especially that train station. :o

I love the way this park has a Disney vibe to it, but without the stereotypical Disney look. It does though, remind me a little of Disney California Adventure, with very a similar architectural style. Can't wait to see where you go with this.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 05:43 AM »
Beautiful, Grrt.  I've been anxiously awaiting a thread for this one and I'm not disappointed.   I'll probably be studying these pictures for weeks to come and still failing miserably at any attempts to rival them.  I think the turret in picture 2 is what grabbed my attention the most and one of the first things I want to draw inspiration from (the train station is so far out of my league it's not even funny).    As for nailing a theme, I think you've got it, architecturally anyway.  Anything you add to this is only going to fit in all the better.

Apologies if a recent post of mine offended you or anyone else, that was not my intent.  I also don't want to derail this beautiful thread so I'll leave it at that and hope that we're cool. 

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 06:20 AM »
great building skill here. I love the look. thx for sharing

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 07:16 AM »
Such fantastic buildings (and unbelievable train station)!  This is a master class on building styles and the details they require.  Great work!
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 08:55 AM »
THAT TRAIN STATION!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

Online corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 11:06 PM »
This looks absolutely awesome!! Perfect imagineered buildings, nicely colored and such a real style of architecture. You really manage to bring in the vintage pack pieces (but not only) into good looking buildings! Fantastic work! Can't wait to see more!
A lot of greets, Corkscrewloop :)
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 03:34 PM »
In love. Introducing rhyme and reason to your structures and design choices really provides a sense of purpose for both the park and guests who explore it. Disneyland succeeds in charm because of its history and its sense of purpose through designed environments. It touches on elements that are memorable and recognizable, but creates worlds in a way that allows the guest to understand and tell a story. A tree isnt placed in a spot just to be placed there, it has reason to it much like it would in reality (especially in a more urban landscape) and that makes it familiar. You've really captured it that essence well.

The railway that bisects the street overhead creates not only a visual transition from one style of architecture to the next, but a historically symbolic progression from old into new. Brilliant. Well done. 
Initiating power transfer...

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 12:05 PM »
This is all pretty astounding. There are so many architectural gems here. And I love the fact that you have somewhere that sells stuff and junk ;)