Disney California Adventure - Atwater Ink & Paint

• 5 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Disney California Adventure - Atwater Ink & Paint
« on: September 09, 2018, 04:14 PM »
Atwater Ink & Paint

Atwater Ink & Paint is located on Buena Vista Street, next door to Julius Katz & Sons.

Atwater refers to the Atwater Village district of Los Angeles, a regular hangout of animators in the early days of the Walt Disney Studio.

2719 is the street number of the Walt Disney Studio when it was on Hyperion Avenue in Los Angeles.

“Ink & Paint” was the name of the Disney animation department that once hand-traced the outlines and hand-painted the colors for all Disney films and cartoons.

Upstairs is the Atwater School of Art & Animation.

Although, the fictional backstory of this shop is that it sells art supplies, in reality, the shop sells mugs, kitchenware, trading pins, and other Disney souvenirs.

The shop has a large selection of mugs.

...A very large selection.

This display mixes the "art supply" theme with the mugs.

Disney-themed dish towels.

Trading pins are big at the Disney parks, and you'll find a nice selection here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:37 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Disney California Adventure - Atwater Ink & Paint
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 10:07 PM »
I love the lettering on the shop window. Somehow they made even that look like vintage Disney. Especially like the stylized ampersand with the paint brush worked into the motif.

It's fun to figure out what movies all the mugs are associated with: ya gots yer Disney 'Princesses' (Snow White, et al.), I think the ones with the gold handles are Chip from Beauty & the Beast (the chip looks like it might be sculpted on the side?), under that is Cinderella's dress with glass slipper & Snow White's dress with poison apple (?), then there's Toy Story's Mr. Potato Head, not sure what's below that- looks like a camel's head (Aladdin?) or maybe a parrot head, below that is Big Hero 6, and finally- The Lion King. (whew!)

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 10:35 PM »
^You forgot the dragon from Mulan next to the Lion King. ;)

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 11:07 PM »
You're right. When I was writing my reply I couldn't see them, they were cut off on the right edge of the screen. Wasn't sure what they were. I thought maybe they were dragons... but they also could have been ferrets. You know, from Disney's 101 Ferrets.

OT: Some of the images here (and a couple of your other threads) are permanently in their 'enlarged' mode, as if clicked on. Is that intentional? Or has something changed recently on my computer that I don't know about?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 11:35 PM »
Some of the images here (and a couple of your other threads) are permanently in their 'enlarged' mode, as if clicked on. Is that intentional? Or has something changed recently on my computer that I don't know about?
Thanks for letting me know. This isn't happening on the new default theme, which is what I use. It's happening on the classic theme, which is what you must be using. I know why it's happening and I should be able to fix it and prevent it from happening again.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:39 PM by shyguy »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 10:12 PM »
The pics are displaying just fine now. :)  And yes, I am using the classic theme.