What's the capacity of Restrooms and 1st Aids?

• 5 replies

Offline KickAir8P

• ˙ʇɥƃᴉs ɟo ʇno ʇsnɾ 'ɹoɹɹᴉɯ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝpᴉs ɹǝɥʇO
    • View Profile
What's the capacity of Restrooms and 1st Aids?
« on: September 11, 2018, 11:32 AM »
How many guest can use single Restroom block at once?  A 1st Aid block?

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
Re: What's the capacity of Restrooms and 1st Aids?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 12:23 PM »
I would think you could obtain something similar to a max capacity by looking at usage statistics for a particularly busy restroom block. Looking at monthly users and dividing the numbers down to the hour.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 12:43 PM »
How many guest can use single Restroom block at once?  A 1st Aid block?

For restrooms, I suspect there's no upper limit.  I put 1 restroom per area of my park, which includes at least 1 major ride, several flats, and several shops.  I have never seen, nor heard complaints of, peeps not being able to get in when needed.  I have observed a single restroom holding 15 peeps at once, from 2 groups of 6 entering back-to-back, then 3 individuals also before the 1st group of 6 came out.

For 1st Aid, I doubt there'll ever be a problem because they don't get much business.  Peeps only go to 1st Aid when they're highly nauseated so these facilities should only be located very close to the exits of high-nausea rides (like with 4.5+ nausea).  This is mostly going to be flats like Kickflip, the Cube, etc.  Nausea seems to decrease naturally fairly quickly so 1st Aids any distance from high-nausea rides get no business at all because peeps feel better by the time they get there.  And even next to high-nausea rides, only about 15-20% of riders will need 1st Aid per run IOW, if 24 peeps exit a Kickflip at once, 3-5 will usually go to the 1st Aid.   Thus, 1st Aids never have a chance to overflow.

Here's the thing about 1st Aid.  The only reason ever to build one is to eliminate a concentration of puke at the exit of a high-nausea ride.  If the 1st Aid is close enough to the exit, sick peeps will USUALLY hold their puke down long enough to get there.  A few might not make it but the janitors will be able to keep up with that, the same as they do with the occasional puke at more benign rides.  If the 1st Aid is too far away, however, sick peeps will puke as soon as they step off the ride and you'll soon get the whole path covered in it.

This can cause problems.  Generally speaking, from a park realism POV, you want the 1st Aid centrally located on the real-world assumption that the main things it deals with will be cuts and bruises, heat exhaustion, and the odd heart attack.  But none of those happen to peeps, they just get nauseated.  But you might not want to put an obvious medical building off to the side where the high-nausea ride is.  Fortunately, you can fake things.  Hang a 1st Aid sign on the building you want to look like the medical office on the main plaza, and hide the actual 1st Aid shop in some facade (or even a pile of rocks) where it really needs to be.  That way, you don't have to pay upkeep on useless 1st Aids far from where they're needed, but you have a 1st Aid where you need it to control puke.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 12:55 PM »
Though there's maybe no theoretical limit on capacity.. there's certainly a practical limit, as too many guests trying to use one restroom block at a time will create a massive traffic jam, slowing people's ability to get into it. I suspect this is the real question being posed. That from a practical standpoint, how many restrooms are needed to satisfy a high crowd area without creating massive pileups of peeps.

Offline KickAir8P

• ˙ʇɥƃᴉs ɟo ʇno ʇsnɾ 'ɹoɹɹᴉɯ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝpᴉs ɹǝɥʇO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 02:59 PM »
Thanks guys -- here's why I'm asking:  I often use exit buildings (usually one building for two or three rides) that force debarking guests past at least two restrooms and at least one 1st aid.  But between janitorial workload and a scenario that counts restroom and 1st aid costs against a shops/hotels/facilities profit goal, I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to use fewer restrooms.  So at the exit of a ride with a long queue that dumps (no pun intended) maybe thirty guests at one time, would they all be able to use the same restroom block?  If not, how many have to look further (at the risk of accidents)?

I've seen debarking guests distribute themselves roughly evenly among the exit-path restrooms without complaining that any are full, but I doubt that means the capacity is limitless.  I just saw a guest debark from my Round-the-World, vomit right in front of the 1st Aid literally four meters from the exit, then go into into the 1st Aid that was 8 meters away (other side of the exit building).  Why?  He didn't say, so if it was because the first 1st Aid was full I still don't know.   :-\

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 03:11 PM »
Though there's maybe no theoretical limit on capacity.. there's certainly a practical limit, as too many guests trying to use one restroom block at a time will create a massive traffic jam, slowing people's ability to get into it. I suspect this is the real question being posed. That from a practical standpoint, how many restrooms are needed to satisfy a high crowd area without creating massive pileups of peeps.

Only a tiny fraction of all peeps in the park every need to use the restroom simultaneously because their needs bars are all randomized when they 1st arrive in the park.  Thus, you only get a massive rush to the restroom if you trap a large number of peeps for long enough for all their bars to max out.  But apart from such engineering blunders, I've never see a situation where 1 restroom per area of the park caused any traffic jams.

Thanks guys -- here's why I'm asking:....

I find that an "area", which I define as a large chunk of the park with at least 1 major, highly popular ride (maybe 2 of them) and several flats, only needs 1 restroom, 1 food, and 2 drink shops.  And only a 1st Aid if there's a high-nausea flat.

Note, however, that if you front your food and drink shops directly onto the main path instead of giving them 4-8m of feeder path, then peeps will be turned away by any other peeps at the counters, so then you will need more shops.  But the feeder path allows them to queue up.

-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page