Thememakers Toolkit Discussion

• 76 replies

Offline spoonetti

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Thememakers Toolkit Coming later in the year...and an update.
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 08:14 AM »
Yes, it seems so! ;)

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 08:23 PM »
SG - Are you planning on having a dedicated thread/topic for this...like how tos, and such that more talented folks can help out us noobs? Also, will there be a dedicated section in CSDepot for stuff players are creating?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2018, 11:06 AM »
SG - Are you planning on having a dedicated thread/topic for this...like how tos, and such that more talented folks can help out us noobs? Also, will there be a dedicated section in CSDepot for stuff players are creating?
I tentatively have plans on creating a new Thememaker's board where members can post what they're working on as well as help threads and tutorials. How successful this will be will depend exclusively on the community's participation.

As far as a dedicated place to upload or link member's creations, I haven't decided whether to add it to the Planet Coaster Depot here at SGW, or up at the CS Depot. Or maybe both.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2018, 11:10 AM »
Sweet - thx for the reply

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2018, 05:58 AM »
I havent been posting/ here for a while.  Apologise for that. 

If i find time i might finish my boat or re-module the lighthouse.  Though i made quite a few things in blender when playing rct:w i consider myself a starter.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2018, 02:37 AM »
It's live now!  I wonder what the first item will be!  Excited to see what people produce this week!

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2018, 02:45 AM »
I'm uploading a few trial items just now.......................

i.e. A box  ::)

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 03:34 AM »
Yay for test boxes! Ha ha!  :up:

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2018, 04:59 AM »
I see two objects so far... A box and a YouTube channel logo... Yay :P

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2018, 05:54 AM »
Sketchup Pro has a standard .FBX exporter built into it. I don't really have the time to sit and learn 3ds Max all over again but I use Sketchup in some capacity almost every single day.

Are there likely to be severe drawbacks or limitations from using this software other than the general "it's not really a great software to be using anyway"? I'm thinking along the lines of exporting etc.

Vague I know but thought it worth an ask.....

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Sketchup Pro has a standard .FBX exporter built into it. I don't really have the time to sit and learn 3ds Max all over again but I use Sketchup in some capacity almost every single day.

Are there likely to be severe drawbacks or limitations from using this software other than the general "it's not really a great software to be using anyway"? I'm thinking along the lines of exporting etc.

Vague I know but thought it worth an ask.....

If it puts out a decent .fbx format, it should work. You just may have difficulties getting things in the format that the game likes.

You'll have to figure out the proper axis that the importer reads. Texturing may be tough since you can't really bake textures in Sketchup, and there's a texture number limit. You won't be able to visualize specularity, roughness, metalness, all that stuff very well. You'll have to be extra careful with your normals and triangles and draw them all yourself, as Sketchup makes a mess of geometry when it exports.

Offline JMAinAZ

• Atari Member Since Jan 2003
    • View Profile
    • My Personal RCT3 Website - Home to Some of the Best RCT3 Videos!
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2018, 02:19 PM »
Should we make a section under the Planet Coaster Banner in the forums for the Thememaker's Toolkit?
Example:

• Planet Coaster Community Board
  • Planet Coaster Parks
  • Planet Coaster Rides
  • Fireworks Shows
  • Planet Coaster Blueprints
  • Thememaker's Toolkit
  • Planet Coaster Depot

Thoughts?

-JMAinAZ

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Thememakers Toolkit Discussion
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2018, 03:12 PM »
^ Done. :)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JMAinAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2018, 05:05 PM »
Way to go Shy!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2018, 05:04 AM »
Curious about something...Do you think Frontier will be monitoring TMT stuff to make sure no one is stealing models or texture images?  How can they truly keep track of that?  Textures especially.

I must admit I purchased some images and painted some myself, but I just found some on the internet and had no way of really crediting a photographer back when I was making RCT3 scenery.   :(

As an artist, that makes me feel bad...but I'd never do that again (although I've "borrowed" tons of images for billboards in KP).  So, I'm wondering how they will address that now with the TMT.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:09 AM by Fisherman »

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2018, 05:31 AM »
Just the first few objects created are making me a little concerned by the file sizes some of them have. 

Make no mistake...some look outstanding...but the file sizes are over 16 MB, and they are items likely to be placed multiple times.  Some are un-textured objects, but still over 2 MB. 

I know it's still early in the game and I wouldn't want to discourage any creator, but I can foresee problems ahead.  Is it because of complex models, huge textures or multiple reasons?

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2018, 09:47 AM »
I think nearly all of the large models are currently due to large texture size. There's a budget of 2048x2048 and people want to use all of that, even for tiny pieces with just the basic PC texture. Texel rate is optimized at 256x256 per meter. For anything less than a meter you shouldn't come close to that budget.

But a few 64x64 maps work just fine for most purposes unless there's actual texture detail needed like for signage. Like, if you're doing flexi-color on your whole object, all your really need is a 32x32 black image. Same with specularity and other similar maps.

Offline Old-Spice

• Custom Content Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Just the first few objects created are making me a little concerned by the file sizes some of them have. 

Make no mistake...some look outstanding...but the file sizes are over 16 MB, and they are items likely to be placed multiple times.  Some are un-textured objects, but still over 2 MB. 

I know it's still early in the game and I wouldn't want to discourage any creator, but I can foresee problems ahead.  Is it because of complex models, huge textures or multiple reasons?

Indeed that would vastly increase the file size, but also has to do with how the files are created and how much is compressed into a file.

Game stuff have similar file sizes, like the Bus at 19mb. But some game ovls have more than 1 item in them, like the walls.

I wouldn't be too concerned on the file size, just be mindful of the creator, and if you don't like it in game (large texture, small object, then just drop it until someone can make it proper.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2018, 08:12 PM »
SPICE!  Oh my goodness how are you?  Haven't seen you around much.

Offline Old-Spice

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2018, 08:30 PM »
SPICE!  Oh my goodness how are you?  Haven't seen you around much.

Hey man. I'm alright, just living life. Think I am more of a lurker these days, hope your doing well too!!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2018, 08:34 PM »
I am!   :D

Hey, anyone having this issue?  So I'm subscribed to several TMT objects but some of them are not showing up in my list.  I'm connected to the internet and I keep refreshing my list but they don't show up.  weird...

It's the lockers and the mushroom stem (the cap shows up).

Offline Old-Spice

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2018, 03:15 AM »
Lockers show up for me. Its in scenery, not sure where but I just used the filter and for TMT.

*Be careful using these new pieces. Just had a crash placing the locker. I am going to give it some time for the Devs to work out the kinks before filling my parks.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2018, 05:19 AM »
Good point Mike, I think I'll hold off a little while too, the bugs will get worked out I'm sure.  Any plans to create your own CS for PC?

Offline JMAinAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2018, 12:59 PM »
Wow. The old gang is back together again!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2018, 01:09 PM »
well...BOB is old...I don't know about the rest of you guys.  ha ha

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2018, 01:13 PM »
well...BOB is old...I don't know about the rest of you guys.  ha ha

I'm just a mere wisp of a lad compared to our own resident Methuselah - citytrader.  Not only the fact he defines 'old', but he probably was the one who invented the word...

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2018, 01:58 PM »
ha ha!  wait, doesn't citytrader teach history?  He probably knows it so well because he saw it all first-hand.    :yes:

Offline Old-Spice

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Good point Mike, I think I'll hold off a little while too, the bugs will get worked out I'm sure.  Any plans to create your own CS for PC?
Maybe. Gonna have to have the will to learn Blender. Maybe eventually.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2018, 07:51 PM »
I can't wait to see what gets made in this community; maybe I may get inspired again and make some things.
Wagibear "It is entirely possible that Atari will attend in a different way than as a exhibitor. Someone may park their van outside the Convention Center entrance with a big Atari RCTw banner draped in the front window.  Or maybe Mattlab will dress in a trenchcoat and approuch anyone with a PRESS badge and whisper  "Psst!  Hey, wanna see a new video game?"... "

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2018, 08:43 AM »
*Be careful using these new pieces. Just had a crash placing the locker. I am going to give it some time for the Devs to work out the kinks before filling my parks.

Yeah, I'd wait a bit, too.  Seems like many folks are using HUGE textures so far, so even little bitty static parts are often 2-3 megs.  Folks need to learn they don't need a 2000x2000 texture for something only 1/2m long :)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page