Thememakers Toolkit Coming later in the year...and an update.

• 31 replies

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Thememakers Toolkit Coming later in the year...and an update.
« on: September 21, 2018, 06:33 AM »
https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/34140-Coming-Soon-to-Planet-Coaster-Thememaker-s-Toolkit

Hello coaster friends,

One of our favourite parts of Planet Coaster is seeing all the amazing, funky, and creative blueprints our players display on the Steam Workshop. There's so much attention to detail, so much originality and creativity, and it blows us away every day to see what you've put together - whether that's a recreation of your favourite theme park, a super spooky haunted mansion, an elaborate Go-Karts track through the gears of a clock, or a scene straight out of a Hollywood action movie. There seems to be no limit to what you all build and create!

The team have been hard at work as we’re getting ready for another Planet Coaster update, but we've got a very special announcement for you today, which we hope enables and strengthens that creativity even further:

Thememaker's Toolkit

The Thememaker's Toolkit is a pipeline system for 3D models to be added as scenery items to your parks. It is a free feature we have been working on for a while now, and will truly challenge players who'd love to try their hand at creating all-new items for their parks! Skilled artists within the community will be able to create a host of items such as a sci-fi spaceship, or an amazingly crafted piece of foliage. The Thememaker's Toolkit will give you the ability to bring your 3D models to life and share them with everyone.

This much-requested community feature will make its way into the game later this year. We wanted to let you know today as some Thememaker's Toolkit files will be visible in the game folders after our next update. We also hope this gives you plenty of time to prepare your gaming stations with the necessary tools, or start planning your next creations which will be infused with boundless variety once the feature launches.

We will have even more news for you soon regarding the next Planet Coaster update, but for now: thank you for your ongoing support!

Bo

p.s. We've also got a Support FAQ for you if you have any more questions, but feel free to pop any below this forum post as well.

Besides the announcement of the Toolkit...also note the "The team have been hard at work as we’re getting ready for another Planet Coaster update..."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 06:37 AM by wabigbear »

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Re: Thememakers Toolkit Coming later in the year...and an update.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 06:34 AM »

Offline xRBz

• Comeback baby!
    • View Profile
    • richardblok.com
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 07:49 AM »
If everything they stated is true. This will be a killer for similar games. It's just an endless creation of new dlc like stuff like trees, bins, lamps with even better and smaller detail which we couldn't achieve with pieces. (And don't forget all the little individual pieces we could make that are smaller then the smallest piece nowadays...) Oh boy...

Offline Knight Rider

• One man can make a difference.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Yes!!

Online Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 08:14 AM »
I saw the file extension '.fbx' and got a little excited.. Thank god we don't have to deal with .OVL's and actually have a fairly standard file extension that can be spit out of most modeling software.. and can contain all relevant information such as textures very easily.

But no lighting is a big big sad for me.. Lights are remarkably easy to get out of a modeling software and I can't understand why they wouldn't try and support them.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 08:47 AM »
This is an absolute game changer.

[Edit]

From the FAQs:

What scenery items can I add?
You can create static and animated scenery items

The possibilities!!!!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:50 AM by Mackie1985 »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 09:37 AM »
I saw the file extension '.fbx' and got a little excited.. Thank god we don't have to deal with .OVL's and actually have a fairly standard file extension that can be spit out of most modeling software.. and can contain all relevant information such as textures very easily.

But no lighting is a big big sad for me.. Lights are remarkably easy to get out of a modeling software and I can't understand why they wouldn't try and support them.

I found the .fbx format depressing as it is proprietary and owned by Autodesk.  Also, only Maya seems to use it as the FAQ says even Autodesk's 3DS Max won't be supported to start with.  Maya is a professional-grade package with a hefty $2500/year subscription ISYN  :o.  3DS Max (IF it supports .fbx format--never used it myself so don't know) seems not (based on the list of features on the Autodesk site) to have the ability to do animations.  Even so it's still $250/year.

Blender is free AND supports animations.  And supposedly the Blender crew has cracked the secret .fbx format so provides and import/export routine for it.  While I have used Blender a fair amount, I've never had occasion to try this feature but I will once TMT goes live.  It might just work.  If so, that will be the main way normal folks will be able to use TMT.  But if not, then don't expect to see a lot of custom content until Frontier opens TMT to other file formats.

I was also somewhat annoyed that the textures have to be .PNGs.  I suppose this was to allow the textures to look the same on everybody's system (which is the whole purpose of PNG) but it's a rather limited, plain-Jane format.

As to lighting, particles, and probably also recolorability, those things require separate compiled code, probalby in the form of a .dll, to tell the game engine what to do with these features.  IOW, there's more to making such things than just building a model.  TMT is only for models, so we won't be able to do any of these other things until Frontier allows the game to be really and truly modded.  I'm guessing animation is handled by the base game engine so no extra code required for that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:40 AM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JMAinAZ

• Atari Member Since Jan 2003
    • View Profile
    • My Personal RCT3 Website - Home to Some of the Best RCT3 Videos!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 09:54 AM »
..."we are expecting to support .fbx created in Autodesk Maya, but we are looking at other packages like Autodesk 3DS Max and Blender as well."
I'm going to assume that Blender will be supported - otherwise I imagine that they will have a bunch of disappointed users that don't have access to pricey programs like Autodesk's 3DS Max and Maya.

Now is your chance to brush up on your skills.
Blender is a free download: https://www.blender.org/download/

-JMAinAZ

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Autodesk do great student deals (i.e. full software packages, absolutely free!)

They only require that you input a few details and you're good to go. Worth a look into.

Online Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 10:49 AM »
I luckily still have access to all my student licenses for Autodesk products hahah. Though not for much longer.. but most games are built in Maya, including Planet Coaster, so it makes the most sense that they would create this tool specifically for that.

I know they SAY only Maya is supported, but I happen to know that Max, Revit, and others allow export and import from .fbx format. I think they're just really hesitant to say it works since they haven't really tested the compatibility yet, and don't want to deal with tons of claims about things not working right from the average user. The .fbx format is Autodesk's way of streamlining workflow between all their software without compromising information. Whether that data gets spat out from Max or Blender or wherever doesn't matter to the importer as long as it's in the correct order and format that the importer needs.

When you get down to it, it's just vertices, edges, and faces. Any program which operates with that framework (opposed to solids modeling programs like Rhino or Solidworks) could theoretically be put in PlanCo. Even Sketchup, though it has really crappy software for optimizing triangles, lets you export .fbx with the pro version. File extensions are just fancy ways of ordering information so that some type of software is able to read it in a certain way that is useful. With models it's usually just data points for how to connect the vertices and fill the faces, and their relative x,y,z coordinates in space.

HOWEVER, with the .fbx format it adds the complication of storing the texture files and their mapping information on said faces within the file itself. That is something EXTREMELY advantageous when importing models, and is why it's become industry standard. This is in opposition to what RCT3 required, which was to manually load and assign the texture identities to every surface within the importer itself and then it spat out what you needed. My memory is very not fresh in regards to the process for making scenery in RCT3. I just remember it being a HUGE hassle that required lots of intermediate steps and organization to get right. My guess is that what makes the TMT special is that you don't have to do that anymore, or it is at least far more simplified. And don't forget that both PlanCo and RCT3 use .OVL's. So this TMT will be probably very very similar to the old importer we're used to. And could maybe lead us to the ability to develop an independent importer that can spit out valid OVL's in a different fashion than the official. Which is probably the primary reason they're putting so many limitations on the importer tool they're making.

And .fbx supports lighting data as well, but game engines generally only read 'standard' lights, opposed to photometric lights. It also would not be able to support the complex layering of lighting effects that many in-game lighting has, such as the floods that give a subtle beam edge. The engine gets this out with trickery and 'baking' lighting with dynamic shadow maps as far as I can tell. Unfortunately, I don't think .fbx would support color data either with lighting, so it'd spit everything out as white, and they probably don't want people mucking about with any of these complexities.

But still.. seems they could at least just let us do standard lights which .fbx absolutely supports so we can control effing beam angle and intensity, like the only damn thing I want out of this game haha.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 11:13 AM »
I'm going to assume that Blender will be supported - otherwise I imagine that they will have a bunch of disappointed users that don't have access to pricey programs like Autodesk's 3DS Max and Maya.

We'll certainly be giving Blender's alleged .fdx support a test come the day.  Blender, of course, has to use its own model format, too, but it can export into many others.  So it's not like Frontier has specifically to provide support for Blender, just any format that Blender can create, and for which the exporter does a good enough job to pass the error-checking that the online part of TMT will have.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline KickAir8P

• ˙ʇɥƃᴉs ɟo ʇno ʇsnɾ 'ɹoɹɹᴉɯ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝpᴉs ɹǝɥʇO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 04:29 PM »
We'll certainly be giving Blender's alleged .fbx support a test come the day.  Blender, of course, has to use its own model format, too, but it can export into many others.  So it's not like Frontier has specifically to provide support for Blender, just any format that Blender can create, and for which the exporter does a good enough job to pass the error-checking that the online part of TMT will have.
I use Blender -- here's hoping!   :o

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 05:02 PM »
I may get blasted for saying this...but...I can see this either being really successful...or disappointing.  I recall the days of RCT3 scenery design...EVERYONE wanted in on it...and we ended up with zillions of scenery sets, of which only a percentage actually looked like the in-game RCT3 stuff or better.  Most, I'm sad to say, were lower quality.  I guess my concern is that the workshop could fill up with mediocre and lower quality stuff pretty fast...  I'd never be able to afford fancy modeling software, which is why I made all my RCT3 stuff in Google Sketchup...the free version...not even the pro version.  I don't know...I am hopeful though...we have some REALLY smart and talented peeps in the community so I'm sure we'll at least have loads of great stuff too.  I noticed one thing in the FAQ said folks will have a limit on the number of objects they can upload...how do you guys feel about that?

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 05:27 PM »
I may get blasted for saying this...but...I can see this either being really successful...or disappointing.  I recall the days of RCT3 scenery design...EVERYONE wanted in on it...and we ended up with zillions of scenery sets, of which only a percentage actually looked like the in-game RCT3 stuff or better.  Most, I'm sad to say, were lower quality.  I guess my concern is that the workshop could fill up with mediocre and lower quality stuff pretty fast...  I'd never be able to afford fancy modeling software, which is why I made all my RCT3 stuff in Google Sketchup...the free version...not even the pro version.  I don't know...I am hopeful though...we have some REALLY smart and talented peeps in the community so I'm sure we'll at least have loads of great stuff too.  I noticed one thing in the FAQ said folks will have a limit on the number of objects they can upload...how do you guys feel about that?
This has been on my mind as well as soon as Mods started getting talked about way back when. I would love to be able to do this and create scenery pieces I have always longed for, but fear my newly learned skills (if I could even learn them) would be sub par and not worth using in the game. I too hope that there are enough talented and willing gamers that will share their high quality work and keep the standards of the game high...as the look and feel of Planco is IMO the games strongest asset. If the workshop gets flooded with sub-par...you would have to weed out what you would use, but I could see how that could make finding stuff way more cumbersome.

Offline JMAinAZ

• Atari Member Since Jan 2003
    • View Profile
    • My Personal RCT3 Website - Home to Some of the Best RCT3 Videos!
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 05:37 PM »
I noticed one thing in the FAQ said folks will have a limit on the number of objects they can upload...how do you guys feel about that?

It depends on what they mean exactly.
"Once you are happy with your work, you can upload the model to the Steam Workshop via the in-game functionality. You take a screenshot of the model, exactly like what you do for blueprints, and it becomes available for download on Steam Workshop."
"any new scenery items created via the Thememaker's Toolkit can be shared via the Planet Coaster Steam Workshop."

Once it's on the workshop, how will it relate to the file on the TMT?
If someone downloads your scenery from Steam, do they then need to download custom content from the TMT?  Or does it link there?
I'm not quite clear about that part.

-JMAinAZ

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 06:07 PM »
I may get blasted for saying this...but...I can see this either being really successful...or disappointing.  I recall the days of RCT3 scenery design...EVERYONE wanted in on it...and we ended up with zillions of scenery sets, of which only a percentage actually looked like the in-game RCT3 stuff or better.  Most, I'm sad to say, were lower quality.....how do you guys feel about that?

While I agree that to start with, there's a chance that the quality-to-crap ratio of TMT content may be on the low side, I don't think that will be anywhere near as bad nor last so long as it did with the regular PC Workshop items.  There are a number of reasons for this:

1.  Making the content all takes place outside the game except for your own checking of how the part looks in-game.  Thus, you totally avoid folks just throwing stuff together in-game and uploading it while playing, which beset the early days of the PC Workshop.  Also, it takes considerable time outside the game, when you can't be playing except to test the in-game appearance of what you just made, and that will be at relatively long intervals.  This non-playing time commitment alone weeds out most wannabes.

2.  3D modeling is hard.  It takes considerable time even to learn how to make even just a totally crap static object.  Add an order of magnitude if you want to animate more than a wheel turning.  If you've never done it before, just getting the hang of the process and learning your editor's controls and workflow shortcuts takes quite a while.  All of which takes place outside the game instead of playing it.  This is a significant hurdle that weeds out many  more aspiring content-builders who simply don't have the dedication.

3.  Making textures and mapping them to the model you just made are even harder than making the model.  Many who get over the model-making hurdle trip on this because they simply aren't graphic artists and/or lack the patience to fiddle with persnickety mapping and specularity issues.  These are 2, arguably 4, separate skills over and above the several other skills you need to make just the bare-bones model.  And again, this all takes considerable time that you're not actually playing the game except to see how things look, then going back out and tweaking yet again.  So again, the weed-out factor is high.

4.  The folks who already have all these skills and aren't afraid to use them probably already have portfolios of stuff ready to shove into PC, or will now be cranking out such things as they know their time to shine is fast approaching.  Because they already know what they're doing, this stuff will hit the market first, way ahead of those just now starting to acquire the tools and doing the basic tutorials.  Seeing quality work immediately on the Workshop will further discourage the wannabes.  After all, I'm sure Frontier has already picked a goodly number of "featured designers" who are already working on stuff to set the bar fairly high upon the release of TMT.

So all in all, I expect a fairly high ratio of quality-to-crap from the outset and, while this might get a bit diluted after a month or so as the few surviving self-taught wannabes cross the finish line just to say they did, things will soon be back to pretty much all good after another month or 2.

Once it's on the workshop, how will it relate to the file on the TMT?
If someone downloads your scenery from Steam, do they then need to download custom content from the TMT?  Or does it link there?
I'm not quite clear about that part.

As I understand it, it works like this:

1.  You make your model in .fbx format and texture(s) in .png format.  Note that neither of these files is usable in the game.
2.  You upload the model and texture to the TMT site.
3.  The TMT sight outputs a single file in a format that PC can use as a scenery object.  You download this into your custom content folder.
4.  You can now select your custom parts out of that custom content folder to use in your own parks, same as you do with your custom billboards and music.
5.  You can also upload your custom parts to the Workshop same as you can with anything you build.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:40 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 07:23 PM »
One one hand, I've been kind of afraid of this, hoping instead for the official quarterly updates to continue for as long as possible.   Custom content means cluttered menus, game crashing, more lag, and as someone else noted, an overall indication that Frontier is getting ready to step away from the game.  But I'm a pessimist like that.   You'll also have creators building stuff for their own use and not sharing it, which was kind of frustrating as well.

On the other hand, the current process of building a custom roof shingle by shingle is ridiculous and it's beyond time to get away from that.  Much like RCT3, I can see there being a dozen or so must-have sets and a whole bunch more that maybe we can do without.  I'm also not sure the point of putting content limits on creators, I'd rather have 20 sets by Shyguy than one set by-- well, me.

Like anything else, it is what it is.  More than anything I think I'll miss the creativity that comes from content limitations, as well as the looking closely at screenshots to try and figure out "how they did that."   

Re-reading the details in the first post, am I right to assume this is scenery only and not build items?  If we're not getting the ability to make walls and roof pieces, this just lost my interest even more.

Online Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 07:46 PM »
I don't think they're purposefully trying to limit what can be used to model and who can build things for it. It's just a product of the game. It was built with Maya. All the actual game creators have made every single piece in the game with Maya. Virtually all games today create their assets in Maya. Virtually all game assets are of .fbx format. That wasn't so when RCT3 was made. Blender will almost certainly be able to produce .fbx files. Frontier just doesn't want to have to hire a thousand new tech support people to deal with tiny unforeseeable issues by pushing a third party app that they have no testing with on day one. They're just hesitant is all. They've never built a tool like this and are just being extra extra cautious. And will roll out more functionality over time as they get more sick of the game.

And PlanCo users aren't gonna be weeded out by this by any stretch. I think most are probably gonna just pull free objects off of online databases and tweak them for use in the game. The rest are just gonna make walls and little things for details. A select few will make awesome grand designs. I don't think it'll be much different than how the workshop runs now.

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 07:56 PM »
I'm also not sure the point of putting content limits on creators, I'd rather have 20 sets by Shyguy than one set by-- well, me.

Re-reading the details in the first post, am I right to assume this is scenery only and not build items?  If we're not getting the ability to make walls and roof pieces, this just lost my interest even more.
My understanding on the first point above is the limitations are what can be stored out on the site for the interim. Meaning that once you deem a piece good for play, you load to your game/the workshop, and then it can be deleted from the site so you can others that you may still be working on. I think the limitations will be more on how many 'working' models you have going on at any one time.

The second point above. Walls and roof can be made, they will just not be part of the grid building. Yes, lining things up may be troublesome, but I see it as many of the Adventure Pack wall pieces are. Free moving and such...which personally, I do like a lot in many cases.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 08:39 PM »
On the other hand, the current process of building a custom roof shingle by shingle is ridiculous and it's beyond time to get away from that.  Much like RCT3, I can see there being a dozen or so must-have sets and a whole bunch more that maybe we can do without.

I think shingle-by-shingle custom roofs will be with us forevermore.  Think about how many possible variations there are in roof contour both in profile and plan view, in terms of constant flat slope vs. curved slopes vs. stepped slopes vs. all the many types of concave and convex domed slopes, each of which may be built atop an underlying structure ranging from an arbitrary polygon of "n" straight walls each possibly of a different arbitrary length, to any sort of curved thing from an hyperbola to a circle, to any arbitrary melange of perimeter with various curved and straight wall sections.  And on top of all the wall outline and roof contour variables, there's the whole 'nother tier of different roof surfaces and colors, each of which will have to be a separate part.  Any single part built by anybody will only cover 1 specific sub-case of this innumerable set of permutations.  Anything you don't have a single part for you'll have to build yourself.

I'm also not sure the point of putting content limits on creators....

I may be wrong but my interpretation of the FAQ is that the only limit is the number of cloud copies of your parts that TMT will retain.  This is a totally separate thing from the Steam Workshop.  TMT is just an import/export thingy.  You import your separate model and texture files and TMT combines them and exports to you alone a single PC part file.  As it does so, it saves a copy but there are only so many save slots so you can't have too many parts in work at once, or too many versions of the same part.  But you have at least several older versions in case you want to revert.  None of this, however, has any effect on how many parts you can upload to the Steam Workshop.  Once you've run your part through TMT and have downloaded the result, you can upload it to the Steam Workshop, which is a totally separate thing from TMT.  Thus, there is no limit on how many parts you can put on the Workshop.  The only limit is on how many old saves TMT retains in the process of making a part.

I saw no reference either way about gridded vs. non-gridded parts.  But even if all we can make is un-gridded, it's fine with me.  I've made many buildings with only a single gridded part buried way off in a far corner of the map and everything you actually see being non-gridded.  Basically, I view gridded parts as a curse, a holdover from the ancient days of RCT3 which I completely missed out on :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 03:41 PM »
I remember back when modding first started in RCT3 and how there was some backlash when a few creators figured out how to do things, only to not want to share that information with everyone.  I think it was for two main reasons...one that modding in RCT3 was unofficial and involved reverse engineering the game, something that technically wasn't totally legal and so there was the rightful fear of being singled out if Atari or Frontier took exception to that information being shared, and there was also the idea that fewer people making custom scenery might mean fewer people not following best practices and thus putting out some items that either were terrible for game performance, or which were just terrible from an artistic point of view.  There were some heated arguments on the issue with others arguing for the 'right' of any player to put whatever they want in their game and if others chose to do the same it was on them for making that choice. 

In the end the ability to use Sketchup ended up widening the number of people who could create CS, which I think had both good points as well as bad points.  I myself created a lot of CS using Sketchup, and I'll be the first to admit that many things I made weren't of the highest quality nor did they always use best practices in their creation.  However, for myself and a few others who used them, even my poorly made custom objects still added to what we could do in the game, so there were those two sides of the argument in action even there.

I suspect UGC in PC is going to be similar.  Usually those who know how to operate programs know how to use best practices and their creations will be nicer, but eventually people will find a way to allow even casual designers get things into the game, some of which will be excellent, some of which will again be less than that.

One saving grace is that PC makes adding content from the Workshop easy...and equally easy to delete...even while in the game 

Frontier said they'll be releasing tutorials when the toolbox comes out, I hope they'll cover suggested best practices in them, but at least this time there's some official support and information rather than working in the dark like we had to mostly do before!

And I disagree with those who claim this is the end of the line for PC...there's only a limited number of things this toolbox allows us to do, there's still a ton of content that Frontier can add and that people will want.

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 08:58 PM »
If Blender works, I am all in.  I want to make pieces that add on to existing sets. 

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 11:17 PM »
And I disagree with those who claim this is the end of the line for PC...there's only a limited number of things this toolbox allows us to do, there's still a ton of content that Frontier can add and that people will want.

I agree.  TMT appears to me to be geared more towards making individual scenery pieces. Water fountains, bike racks, skeeball games, warehouse loading docks, animated monumental statues of yourself dribbling King Coaster like a basketball, etc., all as single parts.  Maybe also some different trees and bushes, maybe some fences (especially angled ones to go up ramps).  But it's not well-suited to filling gaps in stock building sets or making your own building sets.

So there's still plenty for Frontier to sell us.  It won't be until Frontier allows us to modify game code that we can safely assume PC has gone into maintenance mode.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Scaramouche

• Will you do the fandango?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 05:06 AM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing new mods like foliage, traditional roofs, path covers. What kind of mods do you guys want to see?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 07:32 AM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing new mods like foliage, traditional roofs, path covers. What kind of mods do you guys want to see?

Everything useful, repeatedly used type of scenery item that's currently made of scads of individual PC parts I hope to see replaced by user-made single objects without the limitations imposed by being built of the available PC parts.

Think of what this means for entrance areas.  Turnstiles, no-reentry gates, strollers, wheelchairs, lockers, ticket windows, etc.  Then there are the interiors of restaurants and shops:  barstools, ash trays, condiment and napkin dispensers, buffet counters with stacks of plates and bowls, beer taps, shelves of merch or even just decent sets of shelves themselves.

And then all sorts of little realism touches to add around the park:  Jersey barriers, mop buckets, wet floor signs, drinking fountains of all styles, realistic fire hydrants including the wet-barrel type, FDCs and water gongs for sprinklered buildings, spiral escape stairs, port-a-johns, more useful metal ladders, loading dock bumpers, forklifts.

Other things that would be quite useful:  tubes to make water slides with, fake kiddie rides, obstacle course stuff, short straight and curved sections of coaster track to make transfer tracks with easily, a full set of power line stuff (cables, insulators, transformers, poles, etc.).

Really, the possibilities are endless.  While some might find it disappointing that TMT as described so far doesn't seem very useful for making building parts, it sounds awesome for stuff like the above, for which there is a huge need.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline xRBz

• Comeback baby!
    • View Profile
    • richardblok.com
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 08:38 AM »
How about we make some sort of list of things we really like to see? Then the people who create could see the list and make some.

I personally would like some easy recolorable shade covers based on 3m queue. Triangles, squares, ect. Shapes are just too thick...
And I also like some more grid size floors as path covers. Brick, stone, sandstone, lime, wood panes, wooden beams. Asphalt, concrete ect. As square, rounded square and quarter circles. Maybe even 2x2m pieces...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:42 AM by xRBz »

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 08:43 AM »
The possibilities would be pretty good. Yes they are weird limitations but it makes sense, annoyingly.

I am personally thinking less about the stuff and more about the textures. Think art shapes but including smaller and in various textures.

Though... I will 100% be subscribing to any good foliage/flower/tree pack!
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline JKNori

• The one formerly known as Jackoasta
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 10:50 AM »
I cannot tell you how much I've been looking forward to this. If CS creation is similar to the workflow that the game artists are familiar with (low poly -> high poly -> normal map creation -> UVing -> texturing), then I'll be extremely excited, I'm just hoping that putting the custom content into the game is easy to do.

Cheers,

Jack  ;)

Offline spoonetti

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 10:37 AM »
I am so excited about that toolkit. Can't wait to use to import own created objects.
But I really hope, that we will also see the great cso sets of some of the best RCT3 creators: Old Spice's wonderful trees and plants, DasMatze's very useful scenery objects incl. "Swizz it!" and Ralfvieh's wonderful building elements. Oh, I forgott: Shyguy!!! :D Of course, I really hope to see your Main Street and all other sets in PlanCo. ;)

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Just saw the stream, and I've got the feeling it will come on the 2nd anniversary... Like Bo hinted a bit...