Disneyland - Emporium

• 5 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Disneyland - Emporium
« on: September 23, 2018, 05:09 PM »
Emporium

The biggest, and most well-known shop in all of Disneyland is the Emporium. With its prominent spot on Main Street and over 4,000 square feet of souvenirs, gifts, hats, clothing, jewelry, and much more, it is most shopped store in the park.

The Emporium has been around since opening day in 1955. And every new Disney park built since with a Main Street has included its own version of the Emporium.

One of the Emporium's annex buildings.

Elias Disney, Walt's father, gets his own window here.

The main entrance into the Emporium.

Several balconies up near the ceiling present vintage scenes using figures and old-fashioned artifacts.

Antique displays and vintage wall paintings, like this tromp l'oeil, can be seen all around the store.

Even the cashier signs are finely crafted with detailed, ornate woodwork.

"I want to swing on the chandelier, on the chandelier..."

The store offers a huge variety of mugs.

T-Shirts

Hats

Dish towels

Kitchen stuff

Disney Trading Pins

Nighttime

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:47 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Disneyland - Emporium
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 05:37 PM »
I'm fascinated by that tromp l'oeil painting (umbrella, vase, clock, etc.) with the arched frame, at least I think it's a painting. :n00b:

I guess I won't be playing 'match the mug to the movie' this time; no close-up. :mad:up: Although the ones on the right edge appear to be Mickey.

Clever idea to make oven mitts shaped like Mickey's over-sized gloved hands.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 08:50 PM »
I'm fascinated by that tromp l'oeil painting (umbrella, vase, clock, etc.) with the arched frame, at least I think it's a painting. :n00b:
I wasn't aware of that term.
I've now updated the caption on that photo to show off my new knowledge. ;)

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:24 PM »
I wasn't aware of that term.

That's what I'm here for. :P Actually, I had to google it. I was aware of the term but I didn't know how to spell it. ;) Quote from Steve Martin: "It's like those French have a different word for everything!"

I think the thing that makes the painting look most real is the darker, cast shadow, painted near the top (plus the other shadows).

EDIT: Actually, I seem to have misspelled it; usually, (but not always) it's spelled 'trompe', not tromp. I guess now you're gonna have to change it again. :n00b:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:31 PM by JB »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 02:12 PM »

The window displays at the Emporium are some of the best you'll find at the park. Each is truly a work of art in itself. As it is nearly impossible to get pictures during the day because of the glare, all photos were taken at night.

Window shopping at the Emporium takes on a whole new meaning, as many of the displays are animated dioramas of scenes from popular Disney movies. This is a scene from Cinderella.

As if by magic, these scenes change before the viewers eyes, into a completely new scene from the same movie. Viewing these "Windows of Enchantment" is almost an attraction in itself.

A scene from Aladdin.

The second scene from Aladdin.

Frozen

Toy Story

The Princess and the Frog

Peter Pan

Here's a short video of the Frozen diorama changing from one scene into another.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:14 PM by shyguy »

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 05:50 PM »
These window scenes are neat! I didn't even know they existed. Of course, the last time I was there they still had the Skyway buckets and Rainbow Caverns Mine Train- so I guess things have changed a little since then. ;)