WARNING - I Broke the Gold Rush

• 2 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
WARNING - I Broke the Gold Rush
« on: September 24, 2018, 03:39 AM »
In several of my coaster recreations, I have used the Gold Rush coaster (the swinging mine cars) because its simple track looks like the coasters I want to build.  I have then changed the trains out to look more like the real ride I'm copying.  For example, my Galaxi is a Gold Rush with Invincible cars and the Scandia Screamer is a Gold Rush with Anubis cars.  Now, the Gold Rush seems to have rebelled against this repeated abuse.

Yesterday I started on another recreation, the Super 8er Bahn at Wiener Prater park.  Again, I selected the Gold Rush and changed the trains to Anubis.  It was in a new, empty Grasslands sandbox with only 1 other partially built coaster in it.  No peeps, no paths.  I got the Super 8's track built into the 1st drop but had to save and quit the game.  Later, when I tried to resume this park, it would not load.  The loading screen with the hints would stay on-screen for 10-15 minutes, when it should have been done in about 20 seconds given the emptiness of the park.  I tried this a couple of times, having to CTRL-ALT-DEL the game each time after 10-15 minutes.

So just now, I started PC, deleted this problematic park, and started a new empty Grassland sandbox.  I leveled off a good part of the map, laid down the base slab to go under the Super 8, and then tried to select the Gold Rush coaster.  On the list of Family Coasters, the Gold Rush had no thumbnail picture.  I clicked on it anyway and the game immediately crashed to desktop.  But at least the crash report box came up so I told Frontier the whole story and submitted it.

As a result of this, I advise all how have downloaded either my Galaxi or my Screamer to use at their own risk.  I think the Galaxi is OK as it's been around for a long time now and with over 1000 downloads (mostly of Fisherman's more pimped version) and I haven't heard of any problems.  But I'm worried about the Screamer because it uses Anubis cars just like I was trying to do with the Super 8.  And even if using this blueprint doesn't kill your game, this whole episode is a cautionary tale about the consequences of coaster abuse.

Assuming this problem is just on my end, I'm thinking I'll have to reinstalled PC to get the Gold Rush working again.  All my saved parks are on the Steam Cloud but I have a gazillion blueprints, mostly labor-saving things, that I've never put on Workshop.  And, of course, I have a lot of Workshop items I've gotten from others.  Does anybody know if all that stuff is also noted in the Cloud so I'll get it back upon reinstallation, or do I have to put it all on Workshop first and write down all my downloads?

Any suggestions?

-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: WARNING - I Broke the Gold Rush
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 07:09 AM »
GOOD NEWS!!!  I fixed the Gold Rush :).  Just had Steam validate my installation and now everything is back to normal.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: WARNING - I Broke the Gold Rush
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 01:41 PM »
Ha ha I was gonna suggest validating.  Yay!  Glad it worked!