Disneyland - Main Street Shops (The Storybook Store)

• 12 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Disneyland - Main Street Shops (The Storybook Store)
« on: October 03, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Carriage Place Clothing Co.

The Carriage Place Clothing Company is probably considered to be more of an extension to the Emporium than a separate shop of its own.

The Carriage Place opened its doors in 1993 as part of an expansion to the Emporium.

Before that, this was home to the Main Street Storage Lockers.

This string of storefronts replaced the old locker building.

The store offers a large selection of Disney apparel, earning its title as "Clothiers of Distinction".

This handsome, ornate sign hangs inside the shop.

Obligatory chandelier photo.

You'll find a large selection of Mickey Mouse themed apparel.

Not to be left out, Minnie gets her own section.

The display window at night.

The Carriage Place and Emporium.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:42 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
Re: Disneyland - Main Street Shops (Carriage Place)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 04:04 PM »
Had never seen pictures of the previous building there. Something about it seems more fitting to the Main Street story. Like, it gives the impression that this is in fact a small town, and beyond it is just open farmland. In the current iteration, much of that is lost and it's like they just carried the street around the corner.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Disneyland - Main Street Shops (Carriage Place)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 05:40 PM »
^I agree with you. Before, the Emporium building dominated that side of the street, with the height of the old buildings becoming lower as they moved away from it. The new string of buildings compete with the Emporium, with the roofs being the same height. Aesthetically, it just doesn't look as good.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Disneyland - Main Street Shops (Magic Shop)
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 05:21 PM »
Magic Shop

Opened in 1957, the Magic Shop occupies a corner of the Main Street Hotel, next door to the Disney Showcase. Since 2009, the shop has been run by Houdini's Magic, an established retailer. They added vintage Houdini memorabilia and displays, and re-established the shop as a true magic shop. Over the years, the shop had been offering less and less magic, and more and more standard Disney souvenirs. The Magic Shop is one of the few shops left on Main Street that offers novel merchandise, as opposed to the standard Disney souvenirs.

Tony Baxter, the former senior vice president of creative development in Walt Disney Imagineering, and Roger Broggie, one of the very first Disney imagineers, are both honored with their own windows on each side of the Magic Shop sign.

The Magic Shop is one of the smallest shops on Main Street, but it's packed with magic tricks, gags, and books.

Harry Houdini memorabilia is displayed in the outside display windows as well as in display cases inside the shop.

This is a vintage collection of magician's business cards.

An antique telephone hangs on the wall.

If you listen to the receiver, you can hear an authentic recording of Harry Houdini, performing one of his famous tricks.

Cast members frequently perform magic tricks for guests visiting the shop.

Steve Martin worked here in the 60s, performing magic and developing a rudimentary act that would lead him to a professional career in stand-up comedy.

Magic tricks, gag gifts, toys, books and novelties are all available here for the budding magician.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 05:22 PM by shyguy »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:58 PM »
I know why the ventriloquist's dummy has his hands wrapped in plastic: After the park closes at night, he gets up and walks around stealing stuff. Dummies do that, you know. :P

Man, I would have spent hours in this shop back in the day (maybe 40 years ago). I used to be really interested in magic tricks and illusions; not so much anymore. I sent away for a few tricks (ones that weren't too expensive). I even constructed some, following the instructions found in library books. In grade school, I ordered a Scholastic book called 'Spooky Magic'. Got a lot of use out of that.

I still like illusions, like the Haunted Mansion ghosts, and how the Main Street buildings get smaller as you get closer to the castle; to make the castle look bigger and farther away.

I remember reading at Gorilla's Don't Blog about Steve Martin working in the Magic Shop; maybe the one in Fantasyland?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:17 PM »
I remember reading at Gorilla's Don't Blog about Steve Martin working in the Magic Shop; maybe the one in Fantasyland?
I believe he worked at both shops, but Merlin's Magic Shop in Fantasyland is long gone. :'(

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 07:05 AM »
Sweet, didn't know there was a magic shop (only visited DLP).
Personally I love magic, and even perform by myself. So immediately took a look at YouTube what they do and sell.
They sell quite 'simple' tricks (of course, you've got a wide audience) and so far what I've seen I own it myself.
But the point is not about me, but about the magicians in the shop. They handle the tricks so well. The card routines are so flawless and smooth.
Even for someone knowing all those secrets, it is amazing to watch. Compliments to all the cast members (I've seen on YouTube so far) for so much control in their fingertips :) Amazing and thanks for sharing Shyguy, this really had my interest and attention.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 03:41 PM »
love going in here every time I get out west and go to the park. I'm an old magician retired from the craft for many years, but still love it. still fun to browse magic shops and see what they may have to offer.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Disneyland - Main Street Shops (The Storybook Store)
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 12:37 PM »
The Storybook Store

The Storybook Store is actually a part of the Crystal Arcade, and technically, doesn't exist anymore. It stopped selling books back in the 1990s, and now sells toys. But the signage inside the store still exists (see above) and it's still labelled on the back entrance. So I'm still going to refer to it as The Storybook Store, especially since all the the original decor is still intact, which is the highlight of this shop. But I'll get to that later.

A pair of display windows outside the back entrance display some vintage toys.

Most guests will enter the shop through the Crystal Arcade entrance or from within the Emporium.

Some plush toys are offered here, but you'll mostly find figurines, action figures, puzzles, playsets, and many other types of toys.

The modern Disney franchise, like the Avengers and Star Wars seem out of place here.

But where you'll discover the charm of this shop is above the merchandise, where the original displays remain intact. Figures and scenes from many of Disney's classic films surround the shop. And a model train makes its way around the perimeter of the store.

Disney does the best chandeliers.

These displays are probably among the oldest on Main Street, as most of the other shop interiors have been remodeled over the years.

Mary Poppins

Peter Pan

The Jungle Book

This model train perpetually chugs its way around the store.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:40 PM by shyguy »

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Do they ever hassle you about taking pics in the stores?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 02:17 PM »
Do they ever hassle you about taking pics in the stores?
No. But I do occasionally get funny looks from the employees. And sometimes the employees try to hide because they don't want to be in the shot. ;)

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 03:22 PM »
They really need to add some track-lights or something for those displays. They look so sad up there in the dark.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 09:51 PM »
I love those old toys and figures and train diorama up near the ceiling. In the pic with the plush toys I looked up above and thought, "Oh, that's Mary Poppins and Bert with the penguins. And there's Snow White and Prince Charming." And then we got to see them, and others, up close in your later shots. :up:

I wouldn't mind having that Disneyland RR train set ($94.99). But then of course I would have to build a complete scale model of Disneyland for the train to go around. I would pick Disneyland circa 1960 with the Matterhorn, monorail, the TWA moonliner, and... GAH! SOMEBODY STOP ME!! If I'm not careful, the obsessive/compulsive side of me tends to take over. I think all of us here (themepark sim players) are a little afflicted with OC, don't you think? ;)