RCT boards activity

• 34 replies

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
RCT boards activity
« on: October 05, 2018, 05:11 PM »
As everyone probably knows, the RCT forums here on SGW are quite inactive lately, and I'm a bit sad about that to be honest. I know, it's an old game, and most apparently made the switch to PC now. I will give that another try too in the future, but that's just a side note...

I remember times when there were always new parks here, some of them amazing long-running projects, but it seems that - parallelly to my own longer break from SGW/RCT - nearly everybody else quit the game too.

Now what interests me is, are you (you who is not posting in the RCT parks boards these days) still somewhat interested in RCT and/or other RCT-projects? Are you considering doing something new "RCT" in the future?

And what - if at all - can we do to get the RCT boards here more active again (or is there a good reason why they should not)?

Of course, it's just natural that these things fade away when they are way past their golden times. But I thought it's worth to start this thread anyway and we can see what happens, and maybe somebody has a good idea how to get more buzz into the RCT forums again.  :yes:

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: RCT boards activity
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 05:27 PM »
I'm sad to see the RCT forums so inactive as well. I know there are still lots of people playing RCT3. We get new members signing up at the CS Depot all the time. And CS sets are being downloaded VERY frequently. So where are all those people and why don't they post their work here? Probably because it's much easier to post on Discord, Facebook, Instagram, and a half dozen other competitors of the old-fashioned forums. Except all those posts over at those "other" places, fall out of sight and are forgotten as they get replaced by new posts. Whereas, here at SGW, active park threads remain at the top of the forums, and people can view the full threads and see the complete development of a park from start to (sometimes) finish. I personally, don't see why this isn't the more popular way for people to post their work.

Of course, if you aren't getting any comments on your work, there isn't much of an incentive to post here. And that's become the big problem. Members tend not to stray from their preferred game's forum. So Planet Coaster players aren't going to post here in the RCT forums, and vice a versa. I'm tempted to lump all the games into one board and call it the "Theme Park Games Forum". And that's not actually out of the question, as the Planet Coaster boards aren't particularly active either.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 05:53 PM »
Interesting thought, shyguy.

Maybe dividing it into parks (all games), rides (all games), etc would be a thought too?
At least I personally tended to only be in the (RCT) parks forum back when it was still separate from "rides", and never looked at "rides"... so yep, I understand why people don't look into the RCT boards anymore.. just 6 months for the first page is a bit long now. :(
I still have hope that some others also took a break like I did, and will return eventually.

Online cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 06:19 PM »
I know it does get hard at times, but I know we will continue to have things posted. I know I personally have plenty of ideas in the works. I will expand on this a bit more later.

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 12:07 AM »
I too, am saddened by the apparent lack of interest in the RCT forum. I say apparent because people, someone, is viewing our RCT threads. My Imaginarium thread has over 1100 views now along with its fair share of comments; paltry numbers by the 'old days' standards, but comparable to other RCT threads today, so I can't really complain. Getting more comments would certainly be a good thing; even if it's to (gently) criticize something about my park. I promise I won't bite your head off... well, I might. But I'll sew it back on again; good as new. :P Getting comments really spurs the creative process, which leads to more projects/ more posts/ more activity.

I visit all the boards in the SGW forum on a daily basis, at least a couple times a day. And I make a deliberate effort to comment in threads, wherever they are, that pique my interest. Sometimes I'll like what I see but don't have anything interesting to add at the moment, so I don't post. I suppose that's pretty much standard operating procedure everywhere.

Being one of the newer kids on the block, I'm still introducing myself here (even though I've been a long-time lurker). Through my comments, people start to know what I'm like, that I have a weird sense of humor, etc. The best way to get comments is to comment in other people's threads, right? And not just inane comments, but something meaningful (or humorous). If you show a genuine interest in someone's creations, maybe make them chuckle at something you've said; they're more likely to remember you and maybe, just maybe, they'll post in you own threads as well.

Like shyguy said above, it's not just the RCT board that's seeing a slowdown; Planet Coaster posts fall off considerably after the glow of the latest additional release wears off. And frankly, PC seems to be painting itself into a corner, or box canyon, by not allowing user-made content. Not just scenery (yes, I know about the Thememaker's Toolkit), but flatrides, invisible track, etc. Without those things, and that ability (which already exists in RCT3), I fear that PC won't last any where near as long as the RCT franchise.

So, what's the answer to the slowdown here on the RCT board (and other boards)? Maybe combining everything, as mentioned above. But I can see a lot of confusion and frustration if people can't readily find the specific threads they're looking for. And threads would tend to slip off the bottom of the (first) page a lot sooner as well. But maybe combining all the theme park boards is the way to go, eventually.

I really don't want the RCT board to disappear completely, as I plan on playing RCT3 and posting my creations here for a long time to come. Planet Coaster looks amazing but I still can't build the types of parks in it I that I would like to build, due to the current lack of many key ride types, invisible track, etc. (PC doesn't have that, right?)

My gawd, this post is starting to look like one of Bullethead's epic novels. :P I don't think there are any other sites like this in existence anymore, are there? So SGW is the last of its kind, and is sorely needed for a lot of us.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 02:39 PM »
Well, this topic has gone nowhere. Apparently, the majority of RCT3 players don't care at all about this and don't care if the RCT boards go away completely. I am currently making future plans for this site, which is NOT going away any time soon. But there may be drastic changes to its content if the theme park simulation community makes it know that it is no longer interested in participating in these forums.

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 03:18 PM »
shyguy, I have seen communities fade away and get together again. I experienced this with my own non-RCT online community. We saw a lot of users leave around 2008 / 2009, when Facebook popped up, and it took us a year or so to realize what happened, but then we made a few tweaks, reached out to our people on FB and eventually got a decent activity back to our place. Not the same as it used to be, but still, decent, and we're still running it.

Of course, one can't compare these things 1 to 1, and of course, I have no idea what it looks like on your side, you having the stats and all. But I'm sure if more people knew how bad things look for the RCT forums, a few of the players would actually start posting again, and trigger more activity in return. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but were would the world be without wishful thinking. Where would theme parks be without dreamers.

I can only speak for myself: I was gone from SGW for 3 years or so, because I had no inspiration / energy left for RCT at the time. But it returned (ironically when my favourite darkride here in Germany burned down back in May), and I do intend to continue, though obviously can't promise anything. But while I was gone, every few months I was checking out SGW and was always glad it's still there. If I knew at any point that this community would urgently need more activity, I might have gotten myself together and started creating and posting.

Of course in the end it's you who's deciding, but I'd say, let's hear some more voices about this topic. Do people even know about this thread, if they don't look at the RCT boards, as you said?

Online cody

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 04:01 PM »
Hold on hold on, no need to cut any strings yet. I think what we need to do is “market” all major holidays to both PC and RCT. We can also reach out on social media to the RCT fan base because it is still existing. We need to also make sure those who are uneasy about posting media are able to easily do it (I know some just don’t). I also believe if we get the big names back to kind of do a “reunion” in terms of custom content creation that could be fun and draw in more members. I know I have been asked by some members if someone still exists and I tend to find myself looking them up and seeing if they wanna come and finish off anything they started. I think advertising that this region of SGW exists would be good and even hit it hard with park updates and other updates until it gets people to start looking and wanting to contribute. It is a very touchy topic to try and alleviate any concerns, but sometimes we need to just hit it hard and give it all we got.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Well, I'm not the one who's going to make the decision. It's the community that will make the decision for me. I've always said that SGW is for the community, and it's up to them to make it what it is. If the community no longer has a need to post their RCT3 creations, or Planet Coaster as well, then SGW will change as needed. Some boards may shrink, and some boards may grow. Shyguy's World can be whatever I (or you) want it to be, since there is nothing in the title of these forums that says it's about RCT3, Planet Coaster, or anything else for that matter. I can change the content and adapt to what brings the most traffic. It will always be about theme parks, virtual and real world.

As long as there are members who want to post here, I will keep a place on the site for them. Even if the RCT Forums become a small sub-board, there will still be a place for RCT3 projects until all activity stops completely. I have no plans to make any significant changes in the near future. I doubt I will do anything until the new year. And also, this is a slow time for the site anyway. So I'm certainly not going to do anything rash based on just a couple slow months. The summer was actually busier for the site than it has been in a couple years, so we're not dying by any means. The Planet Coaster boards have slowed because of a couple things...people are waiting for new DLCs, and I think many are waiting for the time when UGC becomes a thing, which could happen by the end of the year. This could create a boost in Planet Coaster traffic.

As far as RCT3 is concerned, I'm not sure what we can do to turn this around. I know there are still a lot of people playing the game because I know a lot of people can't afford to upgrade their computers to play Planet Coaster. And I know that traffic to the CS Depot is still strong. I am still very active in getting lost cs sets uploaded to the CS Depot and that is keeping it's activity up. But I don't know how to get the RCT forums active. There is a Halloween contest going, and I've seen little interest in it so far. So I really don't know what else I can do. The NoLimits community has left SGW and that board is the first on my list to delete. Parkitect is next, although the game is still in beta, so I want to wait until it's officially complete before I make any decision on whether to support it any more.

So for now, I'm just waiting to see what happens and see what the future brings. It's really up to the community to bring some life back to the RCT forums. I think I've done all I can at this point.

Offline Tomes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 07:46 PM »
I don't know much about how these forums work from a technical aspect but I think a lot of today's content flow has lended itself to a much more casual approach.   I can post on a Discord asking for help with naming a ride and get a dozen immediate responses because it doesn't feel as permanent.  If we can try and replicate something like that here, whether a chat feature or just increased commenting, then the forums would benefit.  Honestly, some of the bigger names in PC right now were all RCT3 buffs on this website.  Maybe swaying a few of them back here could help.  Threads can feel so formal and I think a lot of people want instant feedback.  Couple that with the workshop, and the fact that PC doesn't have custom content yet, I think a lot of people feel less inclined to create big long detailed threads to show off their parks when it has become easy to share it with a ton of people very quickly and let them explore and discover for themselves.  I think what would really save the forums would be the resurgence of the storyline park.  The parks that kept people coming back daily to check on how things were going weren't always the most stunning parks, but rather the ones that were engaging.  Parks like Lake Saltonstall, Charleston Gardens, Brighton Sands, Paramount's Pleasure Gardens, Fisher Park, and East Side Lagoon were all beautiful, no doubt, but their popularity wouldn't be anywhere close to what they were without the story aspect.  It was exciting coming back to check on one of those parks progress and the comments began to talk more about the story than just a "nice update" comment.  I also think the loss of the "like" button has hurt the forums a lot.  It sucks posting a picture and getting no feedback but at least if I knew people were seeing it and liking it, I felt inclined to keep updating the BPT and the WDYJD threads. 

I don't necessarily think there's much saving the RCT board.  I think many of the new members downloading from the CS Depot probably feel that they're so far "behind" more experienced members that they don't feel their work is worth being shown.  I played RCT3 for 12 years and I like to think I was pretty good at it and fairly well known here, but I had trouble switching to PC because I felt I couldn't keep up with other creators.  Maybe putting ads on the CS depot suggesting people post their work on the forums could get those clicks over here?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 09:46 PM »
I so agree with you, Tomes, about the lack of engaging threads. We have a few members who do that, but the rest seem to put as little effort as possible when posting their parks...probably because they're posting them at a half dozen other places as well. The community has been splintered by all the social media sites, and nothing is ever going to change that.

I know a lot of people miss the Like button, but I have actually seen comments increase because of that. No one ever commented in the Best Pictures thread or What Did You Just Do thread, and now I'm seeing a lot more comments.

I added a SGW Discord for the site, as a place for members to chat live and actually have conversations with each other, but I find SGW members posting projects there instead of here on the forums. So I'm not sure if that is helping or hurting the site. I wish I could come up with something that would make posting here more fun. But I just can't.

Like you said, it's the members who are the ones that have to do that. Members need to create fun and interesting threads. Not simply posting a string of screenshots and saying "Here's the latest update. Bye for now." And members who want comments need to give comments. When I get comments from members, I feel validated and inspired and I want to return the "favor" by commenting on their projects. Comments are very inspiring, and honestly, isn't that the main reason we all post our projects here? I know I've repeated this a dozen times already in the past, but as a community, we need to communicate with each other. Post in each other's threads (Not just our own!) by commenting, criticizing, joking... anything to show our fellow members that we enjoy viewing their threads and we want to inspire them to continue, just like we want to be inspired to continue, and in the long run, to keep SGW alive and a fun and engaging place to visit.

Online cody

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 10:39 PM »
I threaten competing parks with nukes  ::)

Offline PandaCoasters

• The Grinch wearing a mask holding a gun
    • View Profile
    • PandaCoasters' Youtube
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Charleston Gardens, Brighton Sands, Paramount's Pleasure Gardens

This brings me back.

While one part of it is the fact that my old computer no longer works and there is no way the computer I currently use could handle it like before, I just have no interest at this time in returning to RCT3. I have new hobbies now and theme park simulations just aren't one of them anymore.

I rarely visit these days even though I will as a guest from time to time but it's not a matter of forum incentive, just lack of interest. That could always change if I feel nostalgic enough but right now my focus is how I can earn money as opposed to recreation.
'I vote that my team makes Trump Land with a big fat wall from Boston's Dams so we can make SSD great again and keep out the illegal normies.'

-me, SSD'16

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 02:04 AM »
I dare to say that social media are not a problem for SGW.
The authors we miss, the creators of those epic storyline threads, would surely post a dedicated project on SGW rather than on, say, Facebook, when they have something new to show. It's what makes SGW so unique and good, SGW is the place for that, and SGW had its best years when Facebook was already big. And social media are probably on a decline rightnow, even.

So why don't they post?
Time, energy, inspiration, motivation - all that is required for a dedicated project here.
When I stopped posting, around 2-3 years ago, I didn't do so because I posted somewhere else, but because I had nothing new to show. I was so busy with other interests (I joined a band) that I didn't have enough time and energy left to create anything decent in RCT. But I am sure that SGW is still the #1 place for the theme park creators that we miss, and if they ever regain time and motivation to create, they would also come back to show their stuff on SGW, and probably nowhere else.

While we can't change how much time, inspiration or energy people have at their hands, we can try to make posting on SGW more attractive again, and motivation is a big factor there.
For example, I agree with Tomes on the like system. People often just don't have the time to comment, so a "like" would be a quick and easy way to express their apprecation anyway. This especially concerns older posts in a thread, where - for example - commenting on a 1984 post in a project that is already in 1998 feels wrong in the flow of the thread. That's one lost like, and one comment not written, whereas it could have resulted in motivation for the author instead. Speaking for myself again, I'd rather get 1 new like than 0 new comments.
So, I'd surely like to see the "likes" coming back, or something similar. It's easy interaction, and I think we should make interaction as easy as possible to keep it alive.

I'd also suggest a place here on SGW where PC and RCT (and other park games) users can get together, to learn about projects across the borders, like a "parks digest". More putting the idea, the creation into the focus rather than the tool (RCT or PC etc).

Then, I'd probably rethink SGW's strategy on Instagram and Facebook. First, it would be nice if the respective creators would be asked which shot of their projects should be posted on social media. And then, with the right hashtags, a wider audience can be reached on Instagram, and ideally led to SGW. And if we need social media for the already existing SGW crowd, then a Facebook group would maybe make sense too. Not as a substitute for SGW, but as a way to publicize new projects. A FB group always has a better reach for a community than a FB page, at least that's my experience. Of course, that depends on whether people are comfortable with showing their actual identity.

Also, another thing… when I (and probably others too) finally find time and motivation for RCT, I am mostly busy with my own project, and that's also why I wouldn't participate in - for example - a Halloween competition or similar. At least, I wouldn't create something new when I'm currently busy with my own project.

Finally, we can't give "time" and "energy" to people, but we can try to keep SGW inspiring and motivating for people who are generally inclined to return. Surely many of the former regulars check out SGW from time to time. If they see activity returning, new inspiring projects being posted, and that the work put into these projects is actually rewarded by comments (or likes), they will be more likely to return themselves.

Of course I can't predict how long my own motivation will last this time, but rightnow I'm happy to post updates on my project every 1-2 weeks, and comment on some other projects too.
I take this also as a motivation to put even more work into my project. If it actually inspires anyone else to launch RCT, get beyond the "green canvas syndrome", get back into the creation spirit and eventually post here on SGW, then I'd be very happy and feel like I've done something uselful for a change  ;)

I fully believe in the future of forums, including and especially SGW.
Let's try to reverse the chain reaction again?

Offline earth

• eCo - earthCompany 2018
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Forgive me, as I only read a small bit of this thread, but I have some thoughts and/or ideas which may be of interest.

I read in here a bit about more engaging threads. So perhaps a point system (including all games) of some sort per specifically park threads, and with this: a front page top 10 of both ‘all time’, and ‘current’ (or whatever names). And the point system based on community votes (and/or mod and/or a created board whom votes). ‘All time’ could be most points ever. ‘Current’ could have a thread decline in it’s points, of some percentage, after a given time, as to ensure this particular top 10 stays relevant to recent projects... or some other ideal point system could be thought up. The point is some kind of top ten threads list on the front page, however it’s handled.

This gives a greater incintive to post directly to the forum, create more thoughtout presentations, work harder in-game for bettering screens for the thread, and in theory: more activity, returning and new members.

Top 10 screens: Working much like the thread idea, there may be a way individual screens can be voted on and again on the front page could feature top 10 ‘all time’ and ‘current’.

Note that I’ve seen this sort of thing in different ways at various RCT sites (actually only one, but I’ll withhold the name if it’s considered advertising), and the site is buzzing with activity for the very old RCT1 & 2. So I know these types of ideas are extremely successful if implemented correctly. Though of course, you wouldn’t want to copy this site, but the ideas I mentioned above are very much unique enough and set apart as to give SGW it’s own vibe and system.

I truly believe something of this nature would be greatly worth considering and looking into.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 12:50 PM »
So perhaps a point system (including all games) of some sort per specifically park threads, and with this: a front page top 10 of both ‘all time’, and ‘current’ (or whatever names). And the point system based on community votes (and/or mod and/or a created board whom votes). ‘All time’ could be most points ever. ‘Current’ could have a thread decline in it’s points, of some percentage, after a given time, as to ensure this particular top 10 stays relevant to recent projects... or some other ideal point system could be thought up. The point is some kind of top ten threads list on the front page, however it’s handled.

Are you talking about the New Element Designs site? I know that site is mainly RCT2, and it's still active after all these years. So it puzzles me why our RCT3 forums can't stay active.

Our front page does have the SGW Snapshot which showcases parks from all games. Having a front page of top 10 is not something this forum's software is capable of. There is also no mod that can do this for these forums. The Like mod is the only mod that is close to this idea, but it is not compatible with our default theme, thus it was discontinued.

I created a weekly competition a while back where members could post their best screenshots and the community would vote to choose the winner. It failed as there was little interest.

But if someone wanted to run something like this, which would most likely have to be done using the polls and creating a special thread, or even a new board, I would be fine with this. In the past, SGW members took it upon themselves to create contests of their own. The Summer and Winter Competitions were all member run, with me having nothing to do with them. I'd love to see members create competitions and other fun events on their own. That's what kept this site active in the old days. I would be more than happy to help out, create boards, or do whatever you guys would like to try.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 12:52 PM by shyguy »

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 02:46 PM »
OK shyguy. I do have a few ideas for community threads, however not competitions. I will start one later in the RCT community board, and we will see how it goes then. :)

(edited "community board" instead of "parks board")
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 02:59 PM by Elch »

Online cody

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2018, 06:42 PM »
I think some of these ideas are great. Earth is definitely on to something that showcases the popular creations across all games. Elch is taking initiative as well, you guys are both great members I look forward to helping you both as we make SGW bigger and better across all boards not just our region.

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 10:18 PM »
I think Elch makes a good point in post #14 above. It shouldn't be about the specific game that one is playing, (RCT3 vs. Planet Coaster, etc.) Rather, what was created in that game (whichever it was). More people need to poke their heads out from their comfortable forum-of-choice and see what is being created in other parts of SGW. I like to think that my Imaginarium thread is more about the presentation and story. It's not a RCT3 park, per se, it's just a park, period (plus some other stuff). It shouldn't matter which game the park was created in, or in which forum it appears. If a thread is entertaining enough, it ought to transcend the forum boundaries. I look at, and comment in, people's threads in the PC forum; even though I don't have PC. I'm hoping they'll return the favor (a few do indeed comment in the RCT forum, and I thank them). It's the neighborly thing to do.

Online cody

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 06:02 AM »
I think Elch makes a good point in post #14 above. It shouldn't be about the specific game that one is playing, (RCT3 vs. Planet Coaster, etc.) Rather, what was created in that game (whichever it was). More people need to poke their heads out from their comfortable forum-of-choice and see what is being created in other parts of SGW. I like to think that my Imaginarium thread is more about the presentation and story. It's not a RCT3 park, per se, it's just a park, period (plus some other stuff). It shouldn't matter which game the park was created in, or in which forum it appears. If a thread is entertaining enough, it ought to transcend the forum boundaries. I look at, and comment in, people's threads in the PC forum; even though I don't have PC. I'm hoping they'll return the favor (a few do indeed comment in the RCT forum, and I thank them). It's the neighborly thing to do.
Preach!

Offline Tomes

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2018, 07:10 PM »
I'm sure a lot of you remember the Weekly Ambassador.  That was a great way to bring exposure to threads and projects and I think something similar would work wonders as it could promote RCT, PC, Parkitect, NoLimits, etc.  I remember it was a huge boost to me as a creator every time I was featured and the few times I was given nods as the headliner and my park was on display on the home screen. It was something to shoot for.  Every time I posted a new project I anxiously checked to see if I was featured in the next issue.

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 07:38 PM »
I check the forums here pretty often now, but rarely post for a variety of reasons, none of which have to do with the forums or members. Most of it is lack of inspiration, a less than stellar computer, and eyestrain. I'm happy to see that people are still playing RCT3 and posting their creations, and will try to be more active when I can.  :)

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2018, 08:26 PM »
I check the forums here pretty often now, but rarely post for a variety of reasons, none of which have to do with the forums or members. Most of it is lack of inspiration, a less than stellar computer, and eyestrain. I'm happy to see that people are still playing RCT3 and posting their creations, and will try to be more active when I can.  :)
And it's always such a pleasure when you do post. :love2:

p.s. Are you using the Dark theme for SGW. It's much easier on the eyes for people who can't tolerate the bright white and blue default theme.

Online cody

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 09:02 PM »
I'm sure a lot of you remember the Weekly Ambassador.  That was a great way to bring exposure to threads and projects and I think something similar would work wonders as it could promote RCT, PC, Parkitect, NoLimits, etc.  I remember it was a huge boost to me as a creator every time I was featured and the few times I was given nods as the headliner and my park was on display on the home screen. It was something to shoot for.  Every time I posted a new project I anxiously checked to see if I was featured in the next issue.
The Weekly Ambassador is slated to return next year!

Offline Gravquian

• Herbie Popnecker / The Fat Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2018, 02:53 PM »
Hey Y'all,

Good to see posting by you again Elizabeth.

Like all of you, work (and life-in-general) mess with my free time.  And sadly ( like Elizabeth mentioned ),
my eyesight also messes with me. Gotta wear readers just to fuss around on the computer, and after an
hour or so... fuzzy-vision. Dang-it, I'm only 63 now, and muh body's goin ta heck. :)

Back on-track.  Although I don't visit the site every-day, 3 or 4 times a week isn't to bad.  Yes, I could be
more active in posting. The "Seeking Items" RCT3 board is where I might best be helpful or participate.
Sadly I've not designed a park in some time. So I have yet to participate in the challenges or competitions.
Although my creative and artistic abilities are not near those of many current (or past) members here. I try.
CS/CSO designing is where I've been focusing most of my computer time. My "novice status" shows very well.
Model design, work'n it, re-work'n it (multiple times), and graphics also. Again, I've missed a personal deadline
for completing a couple projects (that I should have already completed). There are Halloween items in some.
Hope the sets are well-received when I do get them ready, and submitted. Designing and building are way more
enjoyable (to me), than compiling and importing.

Slowly I am also re-mapping a small cemetery (≈ 500 graves/plots), on the side. That is not as easy as it
sounds. It was established in the late 1800's. So there was no uniformity to the grave sizes in the oldest section.
And don't get started on the conditions of markers, or lack there-of. No grant or income from this either.
Soooo... like many I've too many pots on the fire. No wonder I was a C average student.

Please do not take this as a guarantee, but I hope to have a small set completed and submitted before the end
of this month. Hope I've not bored you to tears with this reply. :)
Cafe.Naver  File  Downloading  Tutorial  ... http://www.shyguysworld.com/Archive/index.php/topic,12722.0.html
 Shameful plugs: Gravquian's Generics & Gravquian's Rug Thread

" A novel set, requires more than novice experience! "

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Hey Gravquian. Any new RCT3 custom content would be most welcome. Especially these days, when the Custom Content board is about like that cemetery you described. :( I keep telling myself that I'm gonna learn how to make & import stuff, but it hasn't happened yet. I think if new sets were made available, this (RCT) forum would have a second life. :)

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Is that Elizabeth?! Well Hello! I have not been posting much but I do drop by almost daily to see what's up. Personally my interest was always about CSO and what was being created, which I'm still doing but now on a different platform because I must. Eyesight has been solved (stare at a 52" monitor two feet from my nose). While both PC and RCTW reside on my computer I haven't had time to "play" (let alone had the time to learn how to "play"), rather prefer working on meshes and textures and the like. Of course I will always make the time to view another episode of Mr. Wonder should someone (will remain unnamed) ever get around to it. :mad:up:

Offline Gravquian

• Herbie Popnecker / The Fat Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2018, 08:41 PM »
"... Hey Gravquian. Any new RCT3 custom content would be most welcome. ..."

You're invited then, to visit:
https://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,19284.msg469887.html#msg469887

Just completed tonight, and submitted.  How it is worthy. :)
Cafe.Naver  File  Downloading  Tutorial  ... http://www.shyguysworld.com/Archive/index.php/topic,12722.0.html
 Shameful plugs: Gravquian's Generics & Gravquian's Rug Thread

" A novel set, requires more than novice experience! "

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Hey Grav, I checked out your new set and it's wonderful! What an original idea, I can't wait to check it out.  :)

PS: Hi there, ParkFink! And thank you for the kind words, shyguy. :witch-smiley:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:42 PM by Elizabeth »

Offline kiotho

• Get Creative!
    • View Profile
    • Kiotho's Rctland
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 05:54 AM »
Okay my turn to reply here! (I admit I didn't read all posts completely though). While I'm still lurking on the forums every now and then, I never posted a lot of parks and did mostly unfinished dark-rides and did focus on cs-creations and SSD's. My reasons for not posting often are:

1. The lack of comments. The main reason I made tons of CS (and believe me, I have over 50 unfinished sets!) was the positive feedback, requests and input from the community. But the biggest factor was to see what other people could do with my stuff. One big ride that really boosted my cs-building is . I wanted to make a similar ride first (prior to releasing the full set), but since I don't have the time to make both cs and build high detailed rides, they always end up being unfinished. Co-productions with other users and the SSD really changed that for me and gave the additional push.

2. Jeah well, as a majority of the people who were playing RCT3 were a bit older than me and or around my age (now 20 yrs old). People just move on and get interested in other things, start to work, go to university,... I think this is the biggest issue for SGW. The big "examples" and players either moved to PC or quit because of moving to other interests/lack of time.

3. Considering all of these things, I shifted more towards photography/digital compositions and 3D-modelling etc. (apart from doing a fulltime job as lab chemist, with irregular hours).

4. I tried a few months ago, a different approach and made a few "behind the scenes" live streams about how I make my CS. I was open for requests etc, but had little to no response, so I stopped putting even more time into making a livestream for just myself...

My vision: I still believe in a sort of revival, but there's something necessary to change. A contest is great, but it's everytime the "same" again. (festival contests for instance). A format of the SSD was easier to change regarding format/themes,...
Maybe we can try a more modern format? Not contests that really force you to work day and night on something, but things like weekly challenges or something, building escape rooms, maybe "movies",... in RCT3. The way VPyro approached RCT3 with it's shows, was cool as well.

Doing more as a community and not just individually is probably the key.  :) I still get CS-creation requests from people and I still love to do them, but my biggest issue is that it's often never used :( Maybe we are too much relying on new CS we need, and forget to build with what's available?

The weekly/monthly ambassador is a good move too in my opinion  :D
Do you want to check all my projects?Click

< Get Creative! All RCT3 Customs>