Framerate issues with Planet Coaster?

• 4 replies

Offline BEAMER3K

• B&M, Intamin & RMC
    • View Profile
    • NRG-FLO Gaming
Framerate issues with Planet Coaster?
« on: October 17, 2018, 01:20 AM »
Hey guys, I heard that Planet Coaster has a few framerate issues when it comes to how many guests you have in your park and/or how many things you've built into your park. Or it's both maybe?
What's the issue here, mainly how many peeps you have in your park, right?

Also, what is the root of the problem, is it the CPU not having enough speed? Is it the GPU?

One final thing, I'm planning on building a computer, and I would like to know if the two selected parts I have in mind will experience any framerate issues? For those of you who are using the same CPU or GPU I have in mind.
Or using both.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k 4 Core (4.2GHz) Capable of being overclocked to 20%.
GPU: AMD Radeon RX580 Gigabyte AORUS 8GB

Thanks.

HEY!
I'm BEAMER3K, and that's also my PSN ID and XBL Gamertag.
I'm a designer/creator/artist/writer/metalhead/gamer.
:D

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
Re: Framerate issues with Planet Coaster?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 02:42 AM »
Hey Beamer, hope I can help you a bit with my own experience since I've updated my computer last week.

The frame rate issue is mostly because of peeps indeed. When you go crazy with small objects making custom walls, you'll see the difference. But that's quite a job to accomplish.

Your CPU is very good for good frame rates, not sure if that really is the big deal. But it definitely helps.

GPU is the biggest factor (in my experience), I upgraded from a 2G to 8G and my frame rates went (on average and medium settings) from 20 fps to 60 - 90 fps.

So, pretty sure your setup will have good results :)
Found a site to test and it's quite accurate:
https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=23290&game=Planet%20Coaster

^^

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Howdy Beamer-

The main bottleneck with framerate in Planet Coaster is your CPU.  GPU is only really an issue for budget laptops that weren't designed to play games.  But with a desktop, any good modern game-oriented vidcard will handle an insane amount of scenery items, so don't worry too much there, especially if you're building a system and are expecting to drop a few grand on it anyway.

OTOH, the CPU load comes from peeps.  Each group of peeps has its own AI that's constantly making and reconsidering decisions about what to do next.  So to have thousands of peeps in your park, you absolutely must have a badass CPU with all the cores and GHz you can muster.  There are a lot of folks with a great GPU who build stunningly intricate parks but never open them because they don't have the CPU to handle even a few hundred peeps.

HOWEVER, this doesn't mean you have to overboard, either.  My current rig is like 6 years old now.  It was absolutely top shelf in its day and it does very well in PC, although I did upgrade the vidcard 2 years ago because the original fried, not because I needed to otherwise.  I noticed a slight performance increase from this but as mentioned, it's mostly a CPU, not a GPU issue.

In my own parks, I generally end up with about 60k - 70k scenery parts.  This is not really a lot as I consciously build to keep part count down and don't go crazy with custom roofs and walls.  The real OCD artists around here routinely build parks with 200K - 300K parts, but I like to keep things slim myself.  Anyway, on my system, one of my 60-70K-part parks can get about 10,000 peeps in it before I notice any loss of FPS at all, and it only becomes a real problem if I go over about 12K peeps.

My system:
Liquid-cooled Intel i7-2600K @ 3.70 GHz running Win7
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline BEAMER3K

• B&M, Intamin & RMC
    • View Profile
    • NRG-FLO Gaming
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 08:25 PM »
Hey Beamer, hope I can help you a bit with my own experience since I've updated my computer last week.

The frame rate issue is mostly because of peeps indeed. When you go crazy with small objects making custom walls, you'll see the difference. But that's quite a job to accomplish.

Your CPU is very good for good frame rates, not sure if that really is the big deal. But it definitely helps.

GPU is the biggest factor (in my experience), I upgraded from a 2G to 8G and my frame rates went (on average and medium settings) from 20 fps to 60 - 90 fps.

So, pretty sure your setup will have good results :)
Found a site to test and it's quite accurate:
https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=23290&game=Planet%20Coaster

^^

Thank you. I feel confident that this CPU can handle PC with little to no problems. Coupled with an 8GB GPU, I think I'll be getting 60-90fps as well. Maybe 100+?
HEY!

Offline BEAMER3K

• B&M, Intamin & RMC
    • View Profile
    • NRG-FLO Gaming
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Howdy Beamer-

The main bottleneck with framerate in Planet Coaster is your CPU.  GPU is only really an issue for budget laptops that weren't designed to play games.  But with a desktop, any good modern game-oriented vidcard will handle an insane amount of scenery items, so don't worry too much there, especially if you're building a system and are expecting to drop a few grand on it anyway.

OTOH, the CPU load comes from peeps.  Each group of peeps has its own AI that's constantly making and reconsidering decisions about what to do next.  So to have thousands of peeps in your park, you absolutely must have a badass CPU with all the cores and GHz you can muster.  There are a lot of folks with a great GPU who build stunningly intricate parks but never open them because they don't have the CPU to handle even a few hundred peeps.

HOWEVER, this doesn't mean you have to overboard, either.  My current rig is like 6 years old now.  It was absolutely top shelf in its day and it does very well in PC, although I did upgrade the vidcard 2 years ago because the original fried, not because I needed to otherwise.  I noticed a slight performance increase from this but as mentioned, it's mostly a CPU, not a GPU issue.

In my own parks, I generally end up with about 60k - 70k scenery parts.  This is not really a lot as I consciously build to keep part count down and don't go crazy with custom roofs and walls.  The real OCD artists around here routinely build parks with 200K - 300K parts, but I like to keep things slim myself.  Anyway, on my system, one of my 60-70K-part parks can get about 10,000 peeps in it before I notice any loss of FPS at all, and it only becomes a real problem if I go over about 12K peeps.

My system:
Liquid-cooled Intel i7-2600K @ 3.70 GHz running Win7
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

Wow. Thanks for your input Bullethead. The CPU I selected will be a bit more powerful and faster than yours, so I really don't need to worry too much. As for the GPU, I think it won't be an issue at all. If you can run a park with 10,000 guests than I think an i7-7700k could handle that too. Maybe more? Considering it's a top line CPU from last year. Although, I would maybe put a limit on the guest number to around 5,000 or 7,500. I'll have to test it and see how many guests the CPU can handle.
HEY!