SeaWorld - Orca Encounter

• 8 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
SeaWorld - Orca Encounter
« on: October 17, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Orca Encounter

Orca Encounter is the new orca show in what was once called the Shamu Stadium. It features a 1.7 million gallon tank and seating for 5,500 guests.

The stage has been redesigned with a Pacific Northwest theme featuring natural rock work, faux trees and man-made waterfalls surrounding a 138-foot-wide high-definition screen.

There is no interaction between the orcas and trainers in the tank. The show is more of an edutainment presentation, with the emphasis on learning about the orcas and SeaWorld's roll in its conservation efforts to benefit the species.

There are now 11 orcas living at the SeaWorld park, and an end of its breeding program means that these will be the last orcas we'll see at SeaWorld San Diego. But, since the lifespan of an orca can be over 50 years, and with many of the orcas being fairly young, including one that was just born last year, you'll be able to see the orcas here for many years to come. Plans on building a larger habitat for the orcas is in the planning stages, and may replace the show completely.

One of the most entertaining parts of the show is when the orcas splash the audience. So it's up to you if you want to sit in the "Splash Zone" or not. Those with fancy high end cameras will probably want to steer clear.

These people are going to get very wet.

Now sit back and enjoy some highlights of the show...

Aerial view of the stadium from the Sky Tower.

Here's the full show.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:40 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: SeaWorld - Orca Encounter
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 09:08 PM »
Thanks for letting us see the show (video); and it didn't cost us anything, either. :D

In the photo where the crowd is being splashed, it looks like the person in the purple shirt is scrambling over the seats just a wee  bit too late.

Quote from above: "Those with fancy high end cameras and whose names start with 'shy' and end with 'guy' will probably want to steer clear."

There. Fixed it. :P

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: SeaWorld - Orca Encounter (Orca Underwater Viewing)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 04:45 PM »
Orca Underwater Viewing

While the orcas aren't performing, you can visit them at the Orca Underwater Viewing area.

There are several informative signs about the orcas at the exhibit.

And an informative video.

The killer whale, which is more often referred to as the orca, is not a whale at all, but is actually the largest member of the dolphin family. But they are fierce predators in the ocean, at the very top of the food chain. They are found in all oceans and most seas.

Above the underwater viewing area, you can see the orcas on the surface of their tank.

But the best view by far is below the surface.

Who's viewing who?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 04:50 PM by shyguy »

Offline Tomes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 11:31 AM »
These reports are so incredibly helpful.  I've been using all the Sea World threads to really nail the look of my own Sea World park.  Keep putting these up, they're amazing!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 03:05 PM »
These reports are so incredibly helpful.  I've been using all the Sea World threads to really nail the look of my own Sea World park.  Keep putting these up, they're amazing!
Thanks, Tomes.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: SeaWorld - Orca Encounter (Dine With Killer Whales)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Dine With Killer Whales

Have you ever wanted to dine on a patio next to Killer Whales? Me neither. But you can, at the Dine With Killer Whales buffet.

Advance reservations are recommended, and without them, this closed gate is a close as you can get to getting a view of the area.

I couldn't get the greatest photos of this, but by sneaking into an employee only area, I did get some shots. The dining patios surround the same pool where the Orca Underwater viewing is located.

As you can see, the seating area is nothing fancy.

But you do get a nice close-up view of the orcas. And the trainers get them to do a few tricks during the hour long event.

An aerial view of the tank and patios.

The dinner buffet is $40 for adults, $20 for kids under 9. Breakfast With the Killer Whales is also available on select dates, as are special seasonal menus.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:25 PM by shyguy »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: SeaWorld - Orca Encounter (Dine With Killer Whales)
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 04:26 PM »
Dang. I was hoping to see the Killer Whale's menu. This is  dining with  the Killer Whale's, right? They gotta eat too! :P

Kind of an interesting concept, I guess. Although, after a few minutes I think the novelty of it would wear off and you would tend to ignor the Orcas: "Oh look, he's swimming by the window again. Pass the ketchup for my chicken tenders, please- thank gawd it's organic."

I like that you sneaked into a forbidden area. :D

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: SeaWorld - Orca Encounter (Shamu Shop)
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Shamu Shop

The Shamu Shop is a large gift store, named after Shamu, the killer whale (orca) which appeared in shows at SeaWorld in the 1960's. After her death in 1971, the name Shamu continued to be used in SeaWorld "Shamu" orca shows for different whales in different SeaWorld parks. Recently, the name "Shamu" has been dropped from the title of the shows, which are now simply called the Orca Encounter.

The shop offers a huge selection of orca-themed merchandise, but you won't find the name "Shamu" printed anywhere.

The check out counter.

This display of orca plushies dominates the center of the shop.

The shop also offers a varied selection of merchandise for kids.

Sesame Street merchandise.

SeaWorld souvenir magnets.

SeaWorld Rescue brand merchandise.

Snow globes, picture frames, and various other SeaWorld souvenirs.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: SeaWorld - Orca Encounter (Shamu Shop)
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 03:52 PM »
Seems kinda silly to continue calling the shop 'Shamu' when nothing inside bears that name. I guess they keep the Shamu name because it has become ubiquitous with SeaWorld over the decades.

Whenever I see orcas in captivity I'm always reminded of Keiko of Free Willy fame. He was moved (from Mexico, I think) to a nice large enclosure in Newport, Oregon back-in-the-day where he was happy and flourished. There, he continued to have the human contact and attention that he craved, was well-fed, etc. But then the well-meaning, but misguided supporters decided to set him free- Free Willy. Everything went downhill for him after that. I can't remember how long he lasted, maybe a year, but he eventually died (in the frigid North, from starvation and loneliness IIRC). None of the wild pods would accept him; he couldn't speak their dialect. People should have realized that, having been raised in captivity, he couldn't survive in the wild. Sad story. But maybe it needed to happen so that they don't try it again. Also, I would guess, part of the reason why they're phasing out the captive orcas here at SeaWorld.