Poll

Would you be interested in a Planet Coaster 'Let's Build' series on my YouTube Channel?

Planet Coaster 'Let's Build' Advice

• 5 replies

Offline TheDarkStar

• Whoah dude...
    • View Profile
Planet Coaster 'Let's Build' Advice
« on: October 19, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Hi guys! I've been watching a few 'Let's Build' style videos recently (Silvarret, MaskedBandit, Geekism etc) and I wanted to try to start my own. I have a couple of time-lapses recorded already for the project I'd want to be posting, but I wanted to ask a few questions to you all before I actually posted any:

1.) Currently, my YouTube channel is very much focused on NoLimits 2, so would it be silly to do Planet Coaster videos? I wouldn't want to lose an audience if I wasn't going to gain any (however I played RCT3 and posted a few videos of that before PC came out)

2.) How interested would you guys be if I did these videos? (Hence the poll)

And finally:

3.) If you have made time-lapse videos and done an audio recording afterwards, what's the best way of doing it? I've experimented with a couple of methods such as a full video and then speeding it up 12x, and a timelapse at 5fps sped up by 8x. How would you do it? Also, how do you record audio? I have a headset with a decent mic, but I also have an old studio mic that I could set up.

Hopefully I'll have enough people interested in me starting something up! (I could always make NL2 timelapses too)

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
Re: Planet Coaster 'Let's Build' Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 07:34 PM »
Do not take it personal, but I've voted no.
Why?

Lot's of Planco user are trying to YouTube it (is that a verb these days?).
Almost all of their videos are BORING, because they think a timelapse and talking a bit is enough for our infotaiment (info cause we learn how to build, and entertainment cause we need to enjoy the video).
Well, it's not... Unless you're a very skilled master with .

You NEED to be different from all the other YouTubers. You need a USP (Unique Selling Point). Why do I need to watch your videos and not someone else videos?
If you can answer this question, you will have a very good start :)

I don't want to be pessimistic to you, I'm a nice guy (my mom told me so). But I don't want you to invest your time for just 100 views.
So unless you're videos are unique (usp) and give us more than a timelapse... you will be one of the many failed channels ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 07:36 PM by Redhair »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 07:41 PM »
TheDarkStar., here's my $0.02....

When PC first came out 2 years ago, it was my first park game so I had no clue.  About ANYTHING.  Coaster design, theming, how to use the editors, what parts were available and how to use them in clever ways to do things other than their intended roles, etc.  Thus, I found it quite helpful to watch a few time-lapses of other folks building stuff just to understand how to do anything AT ALL in the game. 

But since those early days, I have exactly zero use for such videos.  I'm fully cognizant of how the building and coaster editors work now and I have a very good mental catalog of the available parts.  I can now look at screenshots and, 99% of the time, immediately see how the authors did them.  Only very rarely do I have to ask them directly or, if they're not available, watch the applicable video (jumping ahead to the specific few seconds I'm interested in, then bailing).

I mean, think about it....  Most time-lapse build videos are about 1/2 hour.  I have a life, a job, and 2 aged parents who need constant supervision.  When I have 1/2 hour of free time, I'm going to spend it building my own stuff, not watching somebody else build his stuff.  Especially as only once in a blue moon can such video teach me anything I don't already know.  And no matter how esoteric the technique I might learn from the very few videos that can teach me anything, build videos can't teach artistic talent and imagination, which you're either born with or not.  I wasn't and accept that, yet I hobble along regardless, Muses be damned.

So you have to ask yourself, who's the audience of time-lapse build videos?  They're either noobs who are just there temporarily to learn the mechanics like I was once, or they're not.  If they're not, you're talking about folks with neither lives nor jobs, most of whom probably are that way because they're too young to buy the game for themselves so are living vicariously through the YouTuber.  Or they're folks who haven't accepted that talent and imagination can't be taught and still think they might get either or both from watching enough build videos.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 04:10 AM »
I know some people enjoy those type of videos, after all even Frontier sees their worth and gives them a lot of extra support and publicity, but speaking for only myself I can count on both hands the number of them I've sat down and watched, and I'd still have fingers left over.  So Bullethead's observations ring true for me as well. 

The only videos I watch are the tutorial types on specific aspects of the game I was trying to learn - and for which Frontier provided no directions.  Or maybe a short video POV.  That's about it.  Any free time I can carve out for Planet Coaster is going to be used to actually play the game myself and not just watch someone else play. 

In my own opinion if you are doing this because you love the game and want to share that love, then go for it! 

Almost always such a love of the game translates well sharing it through video, and you won't really care how many views you get.  If you're doing it just because you want to gain more traffic for your YouTube channel and checking to see how large your audience is important, than I'd think twice because that sort of reasoning behind doing it can usually also be shared through video, and not in a positive way. 

So I think you just need to be honest with yourself as to what you want out of it, because it's a lot of work.  I've known people who've slaved away on similar projects only to become frustrated when their targeted audience didn't seem to appreciate that work in the way - or numbers - they thought they should, and that was mostly because of the reasons behind why he did it, not because he was just sharing his love of the game, but because he was more interested in how many people followed him.  That's just my humble opinion...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:12 AM by wabigbear »

Offline TheDarkStar

• Whoah dude...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 06:44 AM »
Thank you very much for all your feedback, guys!

@Redhair, I'll have a think about a USP, as if I were to do this, I would obviously want some people to enjoy it!

@Bullethead, That's fair enough, not everybody has the time for everything! I've only recently managed to sit down and play the game myself! I was thinking about doing smaller builds in shorter videos though (about 5-10 mins maximum), mainly so that I could sit down and play for 30-60 mins and then upload the content, as opposed to sitting down for a few hours and creating a 30 minute timelapse.

@Wabigbear, I think my first question came across wrong! I love Planet Coaster, which is why I want to share what I build as I build it, hence this thread and idea, but is it bad to switch from a NoLimits 2 based channel to other content? I had always wanted to do a bit of everything but I feel I've limited myself by what I've uploaded thus far.

If nobody watches what I create, it's not really a problem, I was just wondering what advice you guys could give, and all of you have given me great feedback that I'm taking on-board! Thank you very much for that!

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 12:18 PM »
I love Planet Coaster, which is why I want to share what I build as I build it

See?  You just answered your own question, because you're doing it for the RIGHT reason!  With that I can honestly wish you all the best of luck in doing something YOU want to do because you love to do it, and it will show!