Peony Park II - Jobbers Canyon [video]

• 168 replies
Re: Peony Park II - The Dew Drop Download
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Thank you, Sir!

Re: Peony Park II - The Dew Drop Download
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2019, 09:15 AM »
You're very welcome, CT.  Can't wait to see it in Coney Island (where it belongs!)  :D

Rebuilding all these historic buildings has definitely been the highlight of working on this project, and what's been keeping me going.  Here's an actual photo of the original Greyhound bus depot:

(^^You can barely see the top corner of the Hotel Fontenelle at the top right of that shot.)

Here's my version:

In this case it's not just built at a smaller scale, but I had to crop the building to fit the space.  It shares it's "block" with several other buildings, forming one large interior that will serve as a giant funhouse.  Also (barely) worth nothing, PPII's layout is not at all attempting to replicate the placement of the original buildings with proximity to each other, so my Hotel Fontenelle is nowhere near this shot.

Kind of a happy surprise this week, after re-building 5 original theaters I thought I was done with both theaters and rides.  But whilst looking for any random building to fill a space, I stumbled across the Moon Theatre.

That's the best shot of it that I could find, which meant that re-creating would require some liberties.  It also presented a dilemma:  My launched coaster in this park is named "A Trip To The Moon", and you enter the queue through the Strand Theatre.  Would've been perfect if I built the moon theater in that location.   But this building wouldn't fit, and I even toyed with swapping the names on the two buildings (which felt sinful!)  Ultimately decided that the Moon will keep it's own name and get built in the location I planned for it.  I was looking for something to block the siteline at the end of this street:

And yeah, even though the land behind the facade didn't seem big enough to put anything, turned out that The Moon is just the right size for something pretzel shaped :)   So it looks like Peony Park II is going to get a haunted house ride after all.

^^The Rialto is another theater re-creation, and in this case it sits on the opposite corner from the Bus Depot so will serve as the main entrance for the funhouse.

And then, just for fun, I changed the filter to see how my Moon compares to the original:

Looks like I might've missed the scale a bit and went too big.  The roofline was kind of a challenge as well so I compromised there.  I haven't done the marquee yet (because I'm still trying to pick a theme for the pretzel ride.)  There's already a spooky attraction in the park, but it's a walk through / flat ride combo so I guess something haunted wouldn't be the worst thing I could do.  If I do go for spooky it will be pretty basic (if I do the interior at all.)  This park is over budget and while "Coming Back 4-1-19" from the trailer wasn't meant to be an April Fools joke at the time, it is now.  I'd rather continue taking my time and I don't really want to put it on the workshop until I've shown everything here first.  That will take awhile.

Re: Peony Park II - The Moon Theatre
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2019, 10:19 AM »
I love the Bronco Bus line adaptation!

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2019, 11:32 AM »
This is so good and so absolutely amazingly looking! These pics are so fantastic. That Moon entrance looks so cool - I know its hard to build on small scale, but you manage it perfectly and the architecture and windows on the opposite building looks also so fantastic! The atmosphere on the picture with the Bus Depot building is perfect. :)
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2019, 12:26 PM »
wm:  haha, I was going to make a joke about the "greyhound" logo over the bus sign.  You beat me to it.  ;D

csl:  if I had zoomed out any further on the bus depot, you would have seen a profound LACK of atmosphere (nothing else is there yet :P   )

Thanks guys!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2019, 03:01 PM »
 The old photo of the Moon Theatre, with its big crescent moon signage, has a very iconic and nostalgic look. I was wondering how the lighthouse tied in with the 'moon' motif. Then I saw "Shore Acres" on the marquee and googled it. The lighthouse (and rocks) was an elaborate advertisement for the 1920 silent movie.

I chuckled when I saw your bus station logo. I thought: "Greymare" Bus Lines. But one doesn't associate 'old gray mare' with speediness. "Bucking Bronco Bus Lines" has a nice ring to it (sort of like Chattanooga Choo Choo), but folks might think twice about riding a bus that prides itself on bucking around and tossing its riders off. :D

When you mentioned your Trip To The Moon/Strand Theatre/Moon Theatre queue dilemma, I started thinking of other 'moon' based ride ideas that could be queued in the Moon Theatre-  like H.G. Wells' "First Men In The Moon". But spooky and moon go well together, too. :)

I like the colored marquee lights studding the underside of that overhang across from the Moon Theatre. (Part of the Rialto? Maybe the building next to it.)

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2019, 04:46 PM »
I was going to mention that lighthouse in the photo...  so apparently this theater always did some kind of elaborate marquee staging to promote whatever film they were playing.  Another photo I found had a firetruck parked out front as a tie in.  The good thing about that is that now I get to re-theme the whole building whenever I pick a theme (and title) for the ride.  (Totally going to be a haunted house.  I'm not that clever.)

I should point out that I was unable to confirm if the bus depot was built before 1930.  It's definitely been torn down, but it might have been built after my timeframe window.  But I thought it was pretty and seemed like a fun build.  :P

Yes, that is part of the Rialto "complex" that includes the bus station.  That is a Whip ride I made, which is why it sticks out so far from the rest of the building.  It's functional, but only 4 cars.  So, barely a whip.

« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2019, 06:52 PM »
Love the Bus Depot! I believe that is what is known as Streamline architecture, sort of an off-shoot of Art Deco that became popular just before the war started. Greyhound built a number of stations in the late '30s in this style, large and small, all over the country during this period as labor was so cheap because of the depression.

Here's a small station from South Carolina;

Loving all the other recreations you are doing. The Moon looks terrific!

« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2019, 01:05 PM »
I found many similar stations while looking for pictures of this one, I agree the architecture on those things is just beautiful. Thanks CT

---------------

Todays' update is a video.  [Everybody groans.]  Hey, it's only five minutes long, and while it does cover territory similar to what you would've seen in the official trailer, I've spent the last week working to fill in the gaps on this half of the park to add some interest to what would otherwise be a slightly boring POV.   Considering it's the water coaster doing nothing coaster-eqsue whatsoever, the visuals needed some help. 

I wanted this to be a transport ride with a station underneath the courthouse at the far end of the park, but I really wanted the seats to face forward and that smokestack on the adventure boats was killing me on path clearance.  So instead, the courthouse portion will serve as a dark ride very similar to the Tunnel of Love I built for the original Peony Park.  Hopefully better this time around, but I'll let you judge for yourself.

Filmed with cheatengine (I absolutely have to at this point) so no in-game audio, but I did try to sync up the ride with the song.  You will probably not get wet on this attraction, however PPII does recommend keeping your hands inside the vehicle at all times, particularly in the cave.  Some of those stalactites get pretty close.

Here is Peony Park II's first POV video:  The River Of Dreams.

Re: Peony Park II - The River of Dreams (POV)
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2019, 01:24 PM »
I love watching video.

« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2019, 01:34 PM »
Wow - I'm speechless. This was awesome.
1. your park looks great in this video
2. the ride looks great in this video
3. the video is done really well
4. the song is perfect
5. this is top notch work and classifies you as a premiere designer/builder in this game
6. this work makes the game look awesome
7. love the interior scene with all the animatronics
8. Speechless again.

Great work. I can watch video like this all day

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Excitingly beautiful! Beautifully exciting! When we first entered the Tunnel Of Love I saw the onion-domed strip lights and thought, "Oh, that looks nice, I like that." Then the hearts, the stars, the sparklers, and all the animatronics- fantastic! For some reason I really like how that single windmill blade comes swooping by. Neat, how the blades are the only part we can see. I think the water coaster was an excellent choice. I even like how it goes up that little lift hill into the station at the end.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2019, 06:57 PM »
The park looks so beautiful and magical at night.  And the second part of the Tunnel of Love...Wow!

Loved it all!  :)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline cap396

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2019, 04:16 AM »
Very well done.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2019, 06:42 AM »
Holy wow!  That was incredible!  It got better and better as the ride went on.  And I absolutely love the views of the park you get from the boat.

Offline matejakezman

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2019, 10:05 AM »
Stunning JP, I loved that video!

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Oh my god, this was just spectacular!

Top notch park design, the music choice fits perfectly, and the scene with the animatronics touched my heart so much that I had goosebumps all over.

A-ma-zing, JPAlmight!

« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2019, 07:45 PM »
I'm a little overwhelmed at reading the comments.  I had plans to come home tonight and respond to them and post some off-ride pictures, but time got away.  Thank you all so, so much.

« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2019, 09:06 AM »
wowman:  Loved reading your list, cracked me up and boosted my ego at the same time :)
jb:  When I made the Moulin Rouge exterior for WoF last year I really wanted to incorporate an interior somehow, the windmill was my compromise for that idea :P
shyguy:  yeah, it's a LONG way to get to that one room at the far end of the park, I think all the previous boredom of the ride makes the submerged circus seem a little bit more exciting :P   That, and I definitely timed those doors opening to the music :D
cap:  Thank you!
Fisherman:  Too kind, sir.  Definitely comes across as more of a park tour than a POV.  But it does help showcase some aspects better than I've been doing with photos.  Thanks for your comments on youtube as well!
jake:  Thanks, that's high praise as I really love the work you've been posting.
Elch:  "goosebumps" is another high compliment!  but again, I think alot of it comes from the music :)

Thanks again everyone, you really made my day.

Here's some offride pics (playing with tegidcam) showing some of the ways I tried to add some interest to the exterior part of the ride...

This building was based on one from the Trans-Mississippi Expo that this area was based on.  There was already a flat ride on top so I themed the lower part as an International Food Court (not functional, no path clearance for the shops)

I added some "implied" pathing another level down from the main promenade, extending out into the water.   From these lower paths you can feed the animatronic swans and ducks.

Also filled some dead space where the Steeplechase coaster extends over the water with "Beer on the Pier," a lovely little beergarden.  You will need to show an ID to enter this area.

The only way to see Peony Park's exotic sea turtle family up close is to ride the River.

Elsewhere in the park...  Instead of a large collection of midway games, they've been spread around sparsely to fill in some empty areas where rides and buildings wouldn't fit.  Creator credits to Fisherman and RubleTrillions, the gold standards in PC midway gaming!  (Full disclosure:  All the midway games were built a long time ago and included in my Holliday Harbour update last year, but they were built for this park and just hadn't been shown yet.)

The reason for all the support posts in the arboretum part of the tunnel is that there's a flat ride on top, themed to Omaha's original municipal airport.

The two flat rides in the courthouse may or may not be open in time for PPII's inaugural season.  Particularly the drop tower shooting out the roof, as there's currently no way to get to it  :(

Re: Peony Park II - The River of Dreams (offride photos)
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2019, 09:24 AM »
I love the great use of space where you have the games under the coaster track bends.

« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2019, 09:26 AM »
Also, this park is very majestic and Colombian Exposition looking.

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Every picture is just pure pleasure! But the video clip of River of Dreams blew me away completely. This is one of the best video's I've seen about Planco, because your park is so beautiful and especially that second part of the tunnel of love is mind-blowing!!! :o
A lot of greets, Corkscrewloop :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:23 AM by corkscrewloop »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2019, 03:10 PM »
Wow! You saved the best pic for last. It's got everything: beauty, detail (lots 'n lots), movement, excitement, and depth. All the foreground, middle, and distant elements would make a great 3D image.

Offline FCP-Rug

• I'm batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2019, 02:00 PM »
I am in love with a lot of the smaller details here but especially love that bar. The realism is fantastic! It's amazing to see it all together! The night lighting is wonderful also!!!
Always be yourself...unless you can be batman!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Just beautiful. I don't know what else to say.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2019, 08:11 AM »
I love the great use of space where you have the games under the coaster track bends.

Also, this park is very majestic and Colombian Exposition looking.

Thanks wowman.  I don't like that the midway games are all split throughout the park instead of being contained to a designated midway, but I didn't really have space for that, so using them as filler seems to work.  And I'm glad that you think the park is retaining an Exposition look since that was the original inspiration (even before the vintage/Coney island stuff.)

Every picture is just pure pleasure! But the video clip of River of Dreams blew me away completely. This is one of the best video's I've seen about Planco, because your park is so beautiful and especially that second part of the tunnel of love is mind-blowing!!! :o
A lot of greets, Corkscrewloop :)

Very high praise, made my day, thanks so much!

Wow! You saved the best pic for last. It's got everything: beauty, detail (lots 'n lots), movement, excitement, and depth. All the foreground, middle, and distant elements would make a great 3D image.

Those tegidcam photos do seem to give better angles than without them, but I found today that tegidcam doesn't work for everything though.  Thanks!

I am in love with a lot of the smaller details here but especially love that bar. The realism is fantastic! It's amazing to see it all together! The night lighting is wonderful also!!!

Rug!  Good to see you around, hope all is well.  Thanks, I enjoyed making the bar.  Possibly because I like beer.

Just beautiful. I don't know what else to say.

That's more than good enough for me.  Thanks so much!

----------------

Since the very beginning (back in like 1919 or something) Peony Park has always been bordered on the East side by the Little Papillion Creek.  At some point, probably in the 1980's, the Keystone bike trail was added along the East bank.  It is still there, and runs much further north and south than just the land alongside Peony Park.

About halfway up the land occupied by PP is a little neighborhood park that includes tennis courts, a little league field, and a skatepark.

(There's still some water collecting at the bottom of the skating pit from all the recent snow meltage and flooding.)

Meanwhile, Peony Park II isn't even open yet and already some of the local homeowners are deciding that they don't want to go through this all over again.   The first four houses sold went to Bucky's, a local gas station franchise with 35 city locations.  Make that 36.

Scooter's Coffee swooped in to add a drive-thru kiosk in the Bucky's parking lot, even though they have a franchise inside of Peony Park II.

And there's Bullethead adding some air to his tires, apparently I forgot to warn him about Omaha's catastrophic pothole season.  (This year has been worse than most.)

An overhead shot as the entire project stands today.  The phase I and phase II builds of the actual park are almost done, the surrounding land could use a few more houses to help make the area feel more residential.   I'm thinking now that maybe I will release the first two phases to the workshop (hopefully within the next few weeks, there's still a few more things I want to show and a couple more POV's.)   Phase III will include the circus land expansion, and possibly the return of the Royal Grove outdoor ballroom.

If this next shot works, it's a google map overhead of the actual Peony Park land.  It shows the location of the creek and Roberts park.  Sadly it also shows that while I tried to calculated the lower width of the land as accurate as possible (it's about 5 city blocks), I definitely botched the angles on the north/south roads and the creek that border it on the sides.  Once again, I've made Peony Park too large.   :(

[I just googled it, 1919 actually is the year Peony Park first opened.  This means that Peony Park II is opening exactly one hundred years after the original.   :P]

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:17 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park II - The Keystone Trail
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2019, 03:06 PM »
Good job on the bike path; with its scenic curviness, it really looks really real, fer real. (sorry.) As does the fenced-in walkway over the creek and the skatepark.

Bullethead probably isn't too concerned about a few potholes-  after all, he has to contend with gators chomping on his tires from time to time. Has to turn his fire hose on 'em to shoo 'em away. (pesky gators :mad:)

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2019, 03:08 PM »
OMG I love the park so much!!!

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2019, 11:59 PM »
OMG I love the park so much!!!
Fully agree, Fisherman! And looks like you both raised the level in building amazing park surroundings to new heights... ;)
JP - your newest picture sets are mindblowing and feature an amazing atmosphere! :)
Can't wait to see more of this amazing project!

« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2019, 05:29 PM »
JB:  Haha, he was just telling me some gator stories the other night that nearly required me to change my pants.  FER REALS!!   :scared: :P  ;D

Fisherman:  Now I can tell you that I totally scrolled through your thread to figure out how you did gas pumps.  Is it still stealing if I confess afterward?   :whistling:

CSL:  This place will pose no competition for Kaleidoscope Piers.   If we can have a fraction of the success I'll be happy indeed!!!

Thank you all so much!

--------------------------

Welp, on the eve of getting an actual Whip ride for my park, I suppose I might as well show you the one crappy one I tried to build.  It's inside the Rialto Theatre, now known as the "Farnam Street Fun Factory."  For now it's just 3 custom flats geared toward the kids (there's really not much else inside of PPII for kids yet). 

First, a colorized photo of the actual Rialto Theatre (1918-1986).

The Whip is just a spinning wild mouse.  So, only 4 cars and really not at all whip-like.  I'm really happy we're getting a real one, although I'm fairly certain it's not going to fit inside the Farnam Fun Factory.

I'm slightly more proud of my spinning disk (don't remember what Coney Island called it back in the day, Devil's Eye maybe?)   It's a submerged carousel so it really does spin. 

Behind the spinning disk is a Cakewalk ride, which is by far less functional than the other flats I've shown.  Peeps will walk on it (since it's the queue for the Whip) but that's where the simulation ends. 

That's it for now, I'm torn coming up with funhouse ideas that are both kid-friendly and vintage.  Nearly half of the space inside the Rialto is still empty (it's interior is connected to four other buildings, so there's lots of room.  I'm just not sure there's enough room for the new Whip.  I expect my next project will be gutting the entire interior and starting over.   :()

In other news, I filled the last "necessary" space for a building with something I stumbled across and hadn't seen before:  The Nebraska Power Company.  I felt like the big illuminated sign on the roof would make a good visual from all over the park.

^^I think that giant airplane, as well as the ride it provides theming for, will get yanked along with my crappy-whip and replaced with one of the Condor rides. 

Also new to my todo list will be deciding if it's worth replacing my chair lift with the gondola version, and my boat ride with the new boats.