Peony Park II: Top of the world

• 38 replies
Peony Park II: Top of the world
« on: October 20, 2018, 08:15 PM »
In one of the lesser kept of my least kept secrets, I announced this park inside of my Lake Jeronimo download a couple months ago.  Yes, I've been working on it for three months and all I have is a 90 second teaser in which you don't even get to see the park.  But you should totally watch anyway because I had to tear down a grocery store to get the land for this.  Enjoy.

Pictures coming soon.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 05:18 AM by JPAlmighT »

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: presenting: "Epic Hype" -- a new park from almightyprod
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 03:51 AM »
Yay, JP's back and so is Peony Park!

I've been wondering what you've been up to lately and now I see.  Wow, that's a fantastic town you've got outside the park, even with transformers on the powerlines :)  And the park entrance area and parking lot are beautiful!  Yeah, the music was pretty, too, but I was more into video's visuals.

Can't wait to see more.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 02:19 PM »
OM-effin'-G!!!!!
Epic music by A-HA, Check
Great build up with beautiful visuals, Check
Eyeballs shooting out my skull and splatting against my screen when I see the words "Peony Park II", Check
The hype is real, my friend. I really, truly can't wait for this.

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 08:09 PM »
this looks great - can't wait to see more

Re: Peony Park II
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 05:12 PM »
BH:  I meant to put sparks shooting out of them but forgot.  The transformer by my house blows about once per day.  I've stopped resetting the clocks.  :P

Nemmie:  I'm not speaking to you until you build me that rapids ride.  :P  Just kidding [sort of], I always enjoy your comments on my threads and any other place I can read them.  :D

Wowman:  Thanks.  It's a somewhat slow buildup to get to the actual park, I hope it's worth it.

Thanks guys!

---------------------

For my first Peony Park build I sort of started out with minimal research and mostly ad-libbed the surrounding town to make it look the way I imagined it might back in the 1950's and 60's.   This park is being set in the present, so I pulled up the google maps and have been building almost everything to a 1:1 scale, with exceptions where I feel they're necessary.

The park land is smaller than what you saw on my original map, I did give it a tiny bit more width than really exists.  I've also moved a couple of off-map things onto the map to help obscure the borders, like the hospital in the teaser video.  Because the song I used was only 90 seconds I had to cut a lot of footage, so here's a better look at Omaha 2018...  [The audience collectively yawns]

^^The Outback would've been off-map as well, this should have been a strip mall but I didn't really want to build two of them on the same map.

Lots of medical/health related places in this neighborhood.  I think I've got the businesses done and now I get to work on houses.  If I do them all there could easily be a hundred or more, so that's not gonna happen.  I'll do the stuff facing the park and then maybe do the "clone and recolor" thing to fill in the gaps behind them.

But mostly I'm working inside the park, because that's more interesting than stupid houses.  At least the parking lot is done, nothing sucks the energy from my creativity like painting parking stripes :P

Thanks and major credit to Wings&Strings for the trucks, they are just amazing and make all the difference.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 05:14 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park II: Building this City
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 11:34 PM »
It's kind of amazing and wonderful to see real-world locations depicted in PC. So realistic! Of course, your keen eye for detail has something to do with it. ;)

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 10:16 AM »
I love your town settings. So realistic and detailed. I noticed a little "oops" where you had the parking lines selected so you see ghost images of the pieces showing through the ground. :P
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 11:07 AM »
Thanks JB!

Shyguy:  In TWO pictures even!   And the locations aren't even close to each other, which shows you how lazy I also am at splitting buildings apart.  You could probably delete half the parking spaces on this map in one click :P

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Shyguy:  In TWO pictures even!   And the locations aren't even close to each other, which shows you how lazy I also am at splitting buildings apart.  You could probably delete half the parking spaces on this map in one click :P
Which is why I try to split all structures into separate objects. I remember when I first started playing PC, it was so easy to create large sections of your park combined as one building. I remember deleting what I thought was just a few walls, later to find that a huge part of a nearby structure had also been deleted. Of course, I didn't notice this until I had rebooted the game the next day. :P

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 12:01 PM »
I'm truly excited to see this, it looks like it'll be a masterpiece

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Damn, JP, the "town outside" looks even better in stills than in the teaser video.  That Outback looks so real even with Chinese roof parts :).

On the stuff Slasherguy mentioned, I recommend you take the Jimi Hendrix pause and "kiss the sky", which has a marvelous way of clearing all selections  :laughing_skull:
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 05:00 PM »
I really like the feel of this one man.  I love the residential feel of this already.  The realism is great.  Can't wait to see how this goes.

Offline Berlin87

• CEO of Lake Walt
    • View Profile
    • Planet Coaster Fans on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 03:28 AM »
Seriously… is there anything you can't pull off??
Great job on the classic American architecture, and I envy your path skills, we all know how hard that is. Brilliant teaser/trailer, too.

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Come on! ruin it with a coaster!! you can do it!!  :laughing_skull:

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 09:05 AM »
I'm truly excited to see this, it looks like it'll be a masterpiece

That's funny, "masterpiece" has been my goal with this one.  Holliday Harbour has been my favorite build (that I've done) so far, but I really want this to top it.

Damn, JP, the "town outside" looks even better in stills than in the teaser video.  That Outback looks so real even with Chinese roof parts :).

On the stuff Slasherguy mentioned, I recommend you take the Jimi Hendrix pause and "kiss the sky", which has a marvelous way of clearing all selections  :laughing_skull:

I jumped the gun on filming the teaser, the town wasn't ready yet so you'll continue to see new stuff popping up that didn't make the video cut.  As for kissing the sky, that only works when you actually realize that you have clicked on something else to begin with!   :facepalm:  I'm sure I'll find similar errors after posting today's photos.

I really like the feel of this one man.  I love the residential feel of this already.  The realism is great.  Can't wait to see how this goes.

Well, I felt the first version of this park kind of sucked and couldn't figure out why anybody would like it.  I figured maybe people liked the idea of showing the town around the park, so I'm trying to crank that up a bit more this time.

Seriously… is there anything you can't pull off??
Great job on the classic American architecture, and I envy your path skills, we all know how hard that is. Brilliant teaser/trailer, too.

Thank you buddy, and thanks for the YT comment.  I liked what you said on the video about juxtaposing bland 1960's suburbia with a park that clearly doesn't belong in this neighborhood.  To me that was an essential part of the real life story so I'm trying to take that contrast to the next level here as well.

Come on! ruin it with a coaster!! you can do it!!  :laughing_skull:

Hahaha, of course I 'll ruin it, with several coasters.  But so far two of them are Bulletheads so I can just blame him :P

Thank you all again, I'm glad you're putting up with all the boring pre-park stuff so we can get to something better, or at least more interesting.

----------------

As mentioned, the real life land this park was on is now mostly a grocery store, which I had no problem tearing down.  Also got rid of a bank, a gas station, a Fazoli's, and possibly an entire apartment complex.  My apologies to all those newly homeless people.  But I did allow one business to stay on the Peony Park land, because it's been there this entire time, even when the park was open.

I included "Big Red's" in my original park, I think it went from being a Bingo hall to a Keno parlor.  These days it's a sports bar, with franchises even, and it's still in the same building.  I was able to build it in hopefully the correct location it still sits in, but I did have to move their sand volleyball courts to the north side because they were getting in the way of my new and relocated parking lot.  I also gave their building a gentrified re-design, because the current building is kind of boring.

The parking lot that the sports bar shares with the park has a side entrance, but so far the only way into the park itself is the main entrance (Big Red's does not have park access this time.)  The original pedestrian entrance on the south side is now the main parking entrance.

I think it's still going to be a few weeks before anybody is going to be allowed to take cameras in the park, but here's about as much as we can see for now:

[Ford pickups created by Wings&Strings]

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park II: Something old
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 09:57 PM »
Hahaha, of course I 'll ruin it, with several coasters.  But so far two of them are Bulletheads so I can just blame him :P

Yeah, I kiss the sky too much  Sorry I ruined this park before it even got good started  :euro:

I must say, however, that the recent demolitions to the town have served the park quite well.  What's left and what's occupied the space created sure looks wonderful.  I think you're on track for masterpiece here, although as that's your usual thing I'm not at all surprised :)

I'm unfamiliar with the Big Red franchise but I do know the Ram Brewery in Indy just around the block from the convention center where they have FDIC every year makes a beer by that name, of which I usually have several pints each day I'm in town  :up:
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 03:28 AM »
You'll hardly ruin this park, contracting with BSI is probably the smartest business move I've ever made.  Your coasters are looking great and I'm thinking of purchasing another.

"Franchise" might have been a strong word.  3 locations in 3 Nebraska cities all within 2 hours of each other.  Hell, I live here and I'M not familiar with the franchise.  Mostly because, well hello, "sports bar."   :P

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 08:49 AM »
You'll hardly ruin this park, contracting with BSI is probably the smartest business move I've ever made.  Your coasters are looking great and I'm thinking of purchasing another.

Well, you've certainly done a good job hiding the ugliness of the Galaxi--I hardly recognized it.  But I think Fisherman's Hurricane is better than any of mine.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
Re: Peony Park II
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 03:36 PM »

Nemmie:  I'm not speaking to you until you build me that rapids ride.  :P  Just kidding [sort of], I always enjoy your comments on my threads and any other place I can read them.  :D

RUDE!!………..;) lol
This is looking so good so far. I love the Big Red building and the car park.  :up:

Offline dinoco

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 06:27 AM »
All the praise aside for a minute, this seems like a mental amount of roads and streetworks and stuff. Ever measured it out?
lol jk, loved the first park and looking forward on this one.

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 01:58 AM »
Okay, those coasters look actually pretty good.  :mad:up:

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 06:28 AM »
RUDE!!………..;) lol
This is looking so good so far. I love the Big Red building and the car park.  :up:

Well, since you did post some pictures this week I guess I can speak to you now for awhile.  :P   Thanks buddy!

All the praise aside for a minute, this seems like a mental amount of roads and streetworks and stuff. Ever measured it out?
lol jk, loved the first park and looking forward on this one.

Later on when I can pull the camera back I'll try and post a side by side of mine vs. the google map and you'll be able to see how badly I went wrong.  :D

Okay, those coasters look actually pretty good.  :mad:up:

Haha, just wait, I'll blow it for sure. 

---------------------------------------

Storytime, and partially repeating stuff I may have said toward the end of my original PP thread...    When Peony Park closed in 1994, they held a big auction to get rid of everything.   I think most of it went to private collectors, one in particular, but their 1972 Galaxi coaster (they called it "Galaxy Orbit") was purchased by Palace Playland in Old Orchard Beach, Maine.   It went on to a successful 23 year 2nd career as a popular attraction in that park, lasting one year longer even than it stood in Omaha.  Here's a picture of it in Maine:

The ride was finally decomissioned at the end of 2017, and after some initial sale attempts, I believe in the end it was dismantled permanently.  Not sure on that, but I'll keep checking. 

So now, in time for their inaugural 2019 season, Peony Park II is advertising that they've brought back their original Galaxi.  This is not true.  Instead they hired Bullethead Sweatshop Industries to recreate their original, and he did a stellar job.

^^Looks like Bullethead is at the park right now, inspecting the workmanship of his lackeys, er, well-paid employees.  PPII did have to repaint to match it up to how it most recently looked, and they attempted to add original-ish looking lights and a station.

And in a rare exclusive, here is the first ever camera photo taken inside the new park, courtesy of Bullethead's iphone.  Hopefully nobody will go around posting it on the internet because if PPII finds out it could possibly constitute contract infringement.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park II: Galaxi Quest
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 11:47 AM »
That so looks like the type of car Bullethead would own. :P

And the park...another masterpiece by JP!

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 12:31 PM »
OH MY GOD! MY EYES!!!
That 1st pic over the pond is one of the most gorgeous pics I've seen in game for a while, based on how it looks like it could be a real park photo.
It's the perfect partnership of your visual flair and Bullethead's near perfect coaster.
If the rest of the park is anyway near as good as this, then I'll be needing new pants. :)

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 12:40 PM »
Wow, JP, I would never have known that was my Galaxi if it didn't have the BSI sign on it.  Absolutely beautiful work both in pimping the coaster and its surroundings.  I love that station and the lights!  Seriously, I'm greatly flattered you've given my puppy here a good home ;).

I think the main reason I'm at the park, though, is to check out that awesomely custom-supported wooden racer in the background.  I hope you'll be getting to that soon.  I really need to custom-support my racer and look forward to stealing your ideas on doing it.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 06:17 AM »
That so looks like the type of car Bullethead would own. :P

And the park...another masterpiece by JP!

Ha, I knew I'd regret saying that.  Keep in mind that "masterpiece" for me is still crap compared to any other thread on this board.  :P

OH MY GOD! MY EYES!!!
That 1st pic over the pond is one of the most gorgeous pics I've seen in game for a while, based on how it looks like it could be a real park photo.
It's the perfect partnership of your visual flair and Bullethead's near perfect coaster.
If the rest of the park is anyway near as good as this, then I'll be needing new pants. :)

LMAO!  I had to stop wearing pants when I look at your parks, it was getting too expensive.   :-[

I think the main reason I'm at the park, though, is to check out that awesomely custom-supported wooden racer in the background.  I hope you'll be getting to that soon.  I really need to custom-support my racer and look forward to stealing your ideas on doing it.

Bare minimum of custom supports, just what is needed visually for offride stuff.   The onride will show all the flaws, track and supports :P

Thanks guys!

---------------

You might remember the "barely on map" childrens hospital I plopped into my original version of this park, it was just a random building I added toward the end to show the passage of time in the city.   Here is the actual children's hospital that's within a mile of the park, close-ish to how it looks in RL and this time in the correct location, SW of Peony.  I cheated slightly to fit it onto the map though, it would've been about another block away.  The hospital and the busy street in front of it are scaled down for some forced perspective (and to make them fit on map.)

The cars are circling erratically and paying minimal attention to the lane markers.  I was hoping in the teaser video it would make it look like busy traffic and that nobody would notice all the lane jumps and collisions :P

Also, because I know you care, today is trash day.

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park II: Random garbage
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Omaha is looking the best I've ever seen it ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 01:16 PM »
I think my favorite thing about this park is the city view. By that I mean like for example the last picture with the garbage truck you can see the roller coaster rising in the background. I love it, it really makes the park itself feel absolutely real when you take pictures like that.

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Omaha is looking the best I've ever seen it ;)

See?  I told you those beer goggles could work wonders.

I think my favorite thing about this park is the city view. By that I mean like for example the last picture with the garbage truck you can see the roller coaster rising in the background. I love it, it really makes the park itself feel absolutely real when you take pictures like that.

I'm hoping the illusion will works both ways, so that you get a sense of realism from a coaster POV when you can see the city in the background.  Thanks!!

-----------------

I think we're getting close to something; camera crews have been spotted in the park.  The only leaked footage so far seems to be a minutes worth of Bullethead's Pinfari coaster...

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park II: Playing with fire
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 12:28 PM »
That looks simply amazing, JP!  That theater building, the big gold record with the loop around it, the classical facade for the Loop-Da-Loop, the lightning in the upper right, the giant wooden coaster in the background.  So much wonderful stuff I can't wait to see!

And I do like the circus theming of the humble ZL42, and am greatly honored to have it front-and-center to all this awesomeness.  But I think you're right track here with the fire.  Maybe it'll burn down and get out of the way of the better stuff behind it ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page