Peony Park II: A big flaming dumpster.

• 45 replies
Re: Peony Park II: Playing with fire
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 05:15 AM »
And I do like the circus theming of the humble ZL42, and am greatly honored to have it front-and-center to all this awesomeness.  But I think you're right track here with the fire.  Maybe it'll burn down and get out of the way of the better stuff behind it ;)

Thanks BH.  I feel like you inadvertently started the circus theme and I barely added to it.   But no, it will not burn down because Peony Park II is fire-proof.   I'm not going to lose this park twice :P

-------------

PPII has very little to do with the original Peony Park, other than the land it's being built on.  Whereas the original build was a tribute to a lost park, this one is more of a tribute to a lost city and all of the beautiful architecture that has been consistently destroyed over the last 100 years.  A city that once rivaled New York in scale and architecture has very little to show for it these days, and that's the thing I'm trying to recapture here.

The plan all along was to reveal the park with a video and then start showing pictures from there, but the current state of the game with it's huge lag issue has put all video plans on hold, as well as any new construction.  It's fine, I can use this time to clean up details from what I've done so far.

Today I used my first Toolkit item, a globe by DeadEyeDuck.  I had previously built this drug store/hotel and noticed the globe on the turret in the photo and felt like that was an important detail to capture:

I made my own janky version out of the shapes and it would've worked fine until I saw the workshop globe today, nearly the exact size I needed.  I think it works well.  And for my first custom scenery add it didn't crash my game or do anything to affect my fantastic FPS rate of 5.  :P

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 08:54 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park II: Top of the world
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2018, 09:09 AM »
That looks amazing, JP! 

I like the idea of a Schlitz Hotel (as opposed to Ritz :D).  In my part of the world, there's a bar called Schlitz and Giggles.  Is there also a Falstaff Hotel?  Or have they all been taken over by Anheuser-Busch these days?
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2018, 12:28 PM »
this looks great. love how everything is crammed into this space

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Well, bad news...

Since I couldn't do much with this park, I loaded up another park this morning [surprisingly not as much lag in that one...]  and then I got to building for awhile, like a couple of hours, and I think you can see where this is going...   I saved over Peony Park II.   

I only lost about 12 days of work since the last unique backup, and I hadn't done much at all to it this week, but apparently in the days prior to that I had done quite a bit.  I'm laughing about it, kind of.  But looking at all the stuff that would need to be rebuilt... um, that's not gonna happen soon.  [Take all the time you want fixing your lag problems now, Frontier.]  So let's just push this project into next year when my heart can be in it again.

I could've easily just rebuilt the very few things I've shown and pretend like this never happened, but you know how it feels when you're building for a couple hours and forget to save and the game crashes...  well, this would be that multiplied by a few dozen.   I know we've all been there and we all know we're supposed to rename the saves every time, and yada yada...  my bad.

Anyway, I hope you liked last year's Holliday Harbour project.  It's coming back soon.  :P

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2018, 09:28 AM »
I always have a backup saved park in case this happens. Every time I do a hard save, I save the backup version first, then the core version. This way if I accidentally save its usually the backup version that gets messed up first and you can recover. I find doing a double save like this does make you think about and look more closely what you are doing before you hit save. Good luck.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Damn, JP, that certainly sucks.  My condolences.  I blame the ZL42 :)

I try very hard to remember, 1st thing when I go to work on a different park from last time, to save it so the highlight in the save menu will be on it and it'll be at the top of the list.  But I don't always remember.....
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2018, 10:55 AM »
I blame the ZL42 :)

LMAO  ;D   I think Peony Park is cursed.  When I was building the first version Frontier corrupted the game with a bad update and I couldn't play it for two weeks.

It had been so long since I tried switching between parks, partly for this very reason.    When I open up anyone else's parks I don't even save them, just keep reopening their original file until I've explored everything.  And I got away from making too many numeric backups because those are hard drive killers.  But keeping two current backups at all times and doing a save at the very beginning of opening a new park file are both great suggestions.  Let's see if I learn a lesson.  :P

But really the lingering question I'm having is this:  Why are all my PPII files suffering from this incredible new lag bug, but when I opened up Holliday Harbour [last updated last December] the lag is not there?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2018, 08:47 PM »
I use numerical saves each time I work on something I care about, but I only keep the 3-5 most-recent ones ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Aww man. I'm gutted for you. I hope you you find the motivation to come back to this. I understand how it feels when you get a setback like this.
What you've shown teases us with just what an outstanding park this will become. That 1st pic  with the buildings, Flying Turns and the Coca-Cola sign is stellar. I can't stop looking at it.

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 04:47 PM »
Well, after foolishly bragging about how the new Peony Park was fireproof, I carelessly threw my cigarette butt into a dumpster and burned down a good quarter of my work.  I say this to emphasize that adding all those pyrotechnics to Bullethead's ZL42 did not cause this fire, it was purely my own stupidity.  But yeah, those pyrotechnics, most of the stuff in the pier photos I've shown (including the launched coaster) were pretty much destroyed. Strangely, the two wooden coasters on either side of the steel launched coaster did not burn down.  Isn't that ironic?

So after a couple months of letting the cleaning crews clear the rubble and waiting for our insurance company, Frontier Inc., to respond to my numerous requests to make things right again, I guess I'm ready to get back to this mess.  It should be noted that while I was away apparently Frontier Inc. did show up a few times, but only to light several more fires.  Gee, thanks.

I suppose it's understandable that after a significant delay like this, more photos would leak.  Here are a few from the Tumblr account of peonyspy18.

^ Ok, that first one is harmless, just a shot of the entrance building that has already been shown several times in our official postings.

^ Well, now the spy is clearly inside the park, but at least the camera is pointing back toward the entrance and not into the park itself.

^ This shot just shows that the west wing of the entrance building is dedicated to guest services.  I suppose enclosing all that stuff indoors will be nice for the guests to not have their views cluttered by rows of lockers and countless random strollers.

^ Yeah, that one is definitely a spoiler.  In addition to offices and the HR department, the east wing of the entrance building also contains the Peony Park Museum, currently just a gallery of photos from the original park.  I suppose it's a cheap way to add an attraction and fill some space.  Especially since they probably got all the pictures off the internet.

^  Definitely spoilery again, the spy is deeper into the park but at least they're still facing back toward the entrance.  The good news is that it must be an old picture, because there are leaves on the trees and ducks in the lagoon, as opposed to ice and three inches of snow.  At least the park seems like it will be very pretty at night.

Since most of what burned down was in an expansion area not slated for the spring opening, I think I really need to get the film crews in here to shoot the reveal video before anything else leaks.

Re: Peony Park II: A big flaming dumpster.
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 05:17 PM »
BH is going to be all over this story!

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2019, 04:27 PM »
WOW! Absolutely beautiful! I love the delicate architectural style.

Online Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2019, 08:42 PM »
This is incredible! The way you use stairs and height differences really got me. That ain't easy with this game, is it?

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2019, 02:01 AM »
Wow, this project looks very promising!
I hope you have more luck with the game in the future. Always sad to lose work, I know how it is from RCT, just on a smaller scale :(

I love how you built that city around the park, something I'd like to try too in one of my future projects. You did a great job on that!  :up: And those stairs  :w00t:

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2019, 12:22 PM »
Amazing pics, amazing park! :)
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline nazmakhan

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 12:34 AM »
It's so cool. Especially the night view!