Peony Park II - Jobbers Canyon [video]

• 168 replies
Re: Peony Park II: Playing with fire
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 05:15 AM »
And I do like the circus theming of the humble ZL42, and am greatly honored to have it front-and-center to all this awesomeness.  But I think you're right track here with the fire.  Maybe it'll burn down and get out of the way of the better stuff behind it ;)

Thanks BH.  I feel like you inadvertently started the circus theme and I barely added to it.   But no, it will not burn down because Peony Park II is fire-proof.   I'm not going to lose this park twice :P

-------------

PPII has very little to do with the original Peony Park, other than the land it's being built on.  Whereas the original build was a tribute to a lost park, this one is more of a tribute to a lost city and all of the beautiful architecture that has been consistently destroyed over the last 100 years.  A city that once rivaled New York in scale and architecture has very little to show for it these days, and that's the thing I'm trying to recapture here.

The plan all along was to reveal the park with a video and then start showing pictures from there, but the current state of the game with it's huge lag issue has put all video plans on hold, as well as any new construction.  It's fine, I can use this time to clean up details from what I've done so far.

Today I used my first Toolkit item, a globe by DeadEyeDuck.  I had previously built this drug store/hotel and noticed the globe on the turret in the photo and felt like that was an important detail to capture:

I made my own janky version out of the shapes and it would've worked fine until I saw the workshop globe today, nearly the exact size I needed.  I think it works well.  And for my first custom scenery add it didn't crash my game or do anything to affect my fantastic FPS rate of 5.  :P

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 08:54 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park II: Top of the world
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2018, 09:09 AM »
That looks amazing, JP! 

I like the idea of a Schlitz Hotel (as opposed to Ritz :D).  In my part of the world, there's a bar called Schlitz and Giggles.  Is there also a Falstaff Hotel?  Or have they all been taken over by Anheuser-Busch these days?
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2018, 12:28 PM »
this looks great. love how everything is crammed into this space

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Well, bad news...

Since I couldn't do much with this park, I loaded up another park this morning [surprisingly not as much lag in that one...]  and then I got to building for awhile, like a couple of hours, and I think you can see where this is going...   I saved over Peony Park II.   

I only lost about 12 days of work since the last unique backup, and I hadn't done much at all to it this week, but apparently in the days prior to that I had done quite a bit.  I'm laughing about it, kind of.  But looking at all the stuff that would need to be rebuilt... um, that's not gonna happen soon.  [Take all the time you want fixing your lag problems now, Frontier.]  So let's just push this project into next year when my heart can be in it again.

I could've easily just rebuilt the very few things I've shown and pretend like this never happened, but you know how it feels when you're building for a couple hours and forget to save and the game crashes...  well, this would be that multiplied by a few dozen.   I know we've all been there and we all know we're supposed to rename the saves every time, and yada yada...  my bad.

Anyway, I hope you liked last year's Holliday Harbour project.  It's coming back soon.  :P

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2018, 09:28 AM »
I always have a backup saved park in case this happens. Every time I do a hard save, I save the backup version first, then the core version. This way if I accidentally save its usually the backup version that gets messed up first and you can recover. I find doing a double save like this does make you think about and look more closely what you are doing before you hit save. Good luck.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Damn, JP, that certainly sucks.  My condolences.  I blame the ZL42 :)

I try very hard to remember, 1st thing when I go to work on a different park from last time, to save it so the highlight in the save menu will be on it and it'll be at the top of the list.  But I don't always remember.....
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2018, 10:55 AM »
I blame the ZL42 :)

LMAO  ;D   I think Peony Park is cursed.  When I was building the first version Frontier corrupted the game with a bad update and I couldn't play it for two weeks.

It had been so long since I tried switching between parks, partly for this very reason.    When I open up anyone else's parks I don't even save them, just keep reopening their original file until I've explored everything.  And I got away from making too many numeric backups because those are hard drive killers.  But keeping two current backups at all times and doing a save at the very beginning of opening a new park file are both great suggestions.  Let's see if I learn a lesson.  :P

But really the lingering question I'm having is this:  Why are all my PPII files suffering from this incredible new lag bug, but when I opened up Holliday Harbour [last updated last December] the lag is not there?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2018, 08:47 PM »
I use numerical saves each time I work on something I care about, but I only keep the 3-5 most-recent ones ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2018, 11:37 AM »
Aww man. I'm gutted for you. I hope you you find the motivation to come back to this. I understand how it feels when you get a setback like this.
What you've shown teases us with just what an outstanding park this will become. That 1st pic  with the buildings, Flying Turns and the Coca-Cola sign is stellar. I can't stop looking at it.

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 04:47 PM »
Well, after foolishly bragging about how the new Peony Park was fireproof, I carelessly threw my cigarette butt into a dumpster and burned down a good quarter of my work.  I say this to emphasize that adding all those pyrotechnics to Bullethead's ZL42 did not cause this fire, it was purely my own stupidity.  But yeah, those pyrotechnics, most of the stuff in the pier photos I've shown (including the launched coaster) were pretty much destroyed. Strangely, the two wooden coasters on either side of the steel launched coaster did not burn down.  Isn't that ironic?

So after a couple months of letting the cleaning crews clear the rubble and waiting for our insurance company, Frontier Inc., to respond to my numerous requests to make things right again, I guess I'm ready to get back to this mess.  It should be noted that while I was away apparently Frontier Inc. did show up a few times, but only to light several more fires.  Gee, thanks.

I suppose it's understandable that after a significant delay like this, more photos would leak.  Here are a few from the Tumblr account of peonyspy18.

^ Ok, that first one is harmless, just a shot of the entrance building that has already been shown several times in our official postings.

^ Well, now the spy is clearly inside the park, but at least the camera is pointing back toward the entrance and not into the park itself.

^ This shot just shows that the west wing of the entrance building is dedicated to guest services.  I suppose enclosing all that stuff indoors will be nice for the guests to not have their views cluttered by rows of lockers and countless random strollers.

^ Yeah, that one is definitely a spoiler.  In addition to offices and the HR department, the east wing of the entrance building also contains the Peony Park Museum, currently just a gallery of photos from the original park.  I suppose it's a cheap way to add an attraction and fill some space.  Especially since they probably got all the pictures off the internet.

^  Definitely spoilery again, the spy is deeper into the park but at least they're still facing back toward the entrance.  The good news is that it must be an old picture, because there are leaves on the trees and ducks in the lagoon, as opposed to ice and three inches of snow.  At least the park seems like it will be very pretty at night.

Since most of what burned down was in an expansion area not slated for the spring opening, I think I really need to get the film crews in here to shoot the reveal video before anything else leaks.

Re: Peony Park II: A big flaming dumpster.
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 05:17 PM »
BH is going to be all over this story!

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2019, 04:27 PM »
WOW! Absolutely beautiful! I love the delicate architectural style.

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2019, 08:42 PM »
This is incredible! The way you use stairs and height differences really got me. That ain't easy with this game, is it?

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2019, 02:01 AM »
Wow, this project looks very promising!
I hope you have more luck with the game in the future. Always sad to lose work, I know how it is from RCT, just on a smaller scale :(

I love how you built that city around the park, something I'd like to try too in one of my future projects. You did a great job on that!  :up: And those stairs  :w00t:

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2019, 12:22 PM »
Amazing pics, amazing park! :)
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline nazmakhan

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2019, 12:34 AM »
It's so cool. Especially the night view!

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2019, 02:52 AM »
Wonderful to see this park. You create space and a cozy feeling at the same time. That really works for me.

May i ask: that 4th picture, the interior one. Did you create the wall using a trellis? Or is that part of a DLC package? (which i dont own)

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2019, 09:57 AM »
BH is going to be all over this story!

Haha, I think BH is taking a PC break and I can't say that I blame him at the moment

WOW! Absolutely beautiful! I love the delicate architectural style.

Thanks Salad.  So far this park has not required any safety pillows, but flame retardant winter-wear is another topic.  :P

This is incredible! The way you use stairs and height differences really got me. That ain't easy with this game, is it?

It would be MUCH easier if we could add ramps and stairs while having a grid selected, that is for sure.

Wow, this project looks very promising!
I hope you have more luck with the game in the future. Always sad to lose work, I know how it is from RCT, just on a smaller scale :(

I love how you built that city around the park, something I'd like to try too in one of my future projects. You did a great job on that!  :up: And those stairs  :w00t:

Even with the loss in this park, I would still say RCT3 was much worse for lost work.  The crashes were much more frequent, unpredictable, and there were no auto-saves to protect you  :facepalm:

Amazing pics, amazing park! :)

Thanks CSL, high praise from our new custom scenery master!

It's so cool. Especially the night view!

Thank you nazmakhan, I definitely like creating the nighttime stuff.

Wonderful to see this park. You create space and a cozy feeling at the same time. That really works for me.

May i ask: that 4th picture, the interior one. Did you create the wall using a trellis? Or is that part of a DLC package? (which i dont own)

Thanks Forgath.  It's a marble floor from the workshop, so definitely not something you have to pay for.

--------------

I finished editing my trailer video this morning, I'll wait for the youtube high-definition to finish encoding and have the upload on here shortly.

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2019, 02:12 PM »
^^Had another classic screwup, had to re-shoot a scene and re-upload.  But we're good now.   :whistling:

And so, after much debate, while a majority of the fire damage is still yet to be replaced, it was decided that this trailer video for Peony Park II was already 3 months behind it's original schedule and the photo leaks have begun to spoil the good stuff.  So PPII sent in camera crews this week to get the necessary footage for a park reveal that will now enable us (and all of the Instagram spies) to post photos of anything we want going forward without spoiling any surprises.

Our insurance company Frontier Inc. would not allow us to let any peeps into the park for the shoot so we had to substitute white mannequins everywhere.  The good news is that with todays' post-production editing technology, we were able to digitally replace the snow with grass and add leaves into the trees.  Also, no ducks, swans, or flamingos were injured in this shoot as all park water had to be heated enough to allow boat passage without ice interference.

And so, without any further hoopla, here at long last is the reveal video for Peony Park II that absolutely no one has been asking for.

Re: Peony Park II: Official trailer released
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2019, 11:41 AM »
the park looks great. love all the lighting and details.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2019, 02:25 PM »
Great video and beautiful park.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2019, 05:02 AM »
Thanks guys!  The video turned out better than I expected given the current state of the game, but they never turn out the way I initially envision them, I guess I'd rather be building then spending days shooting and editing video footage.  I do really enjoy mixing in cool music with my visuals; and I had both this song and the a-ha song from the teaser picked out before I even started building.  I've got a couple more songs lined up for the POV videos that I hope to make [crosses fingers that youtube lets me :P]

So, apologies in advance, but this is going to be a kind of wordy post explaining what is going on thematically with this park (I'll show pictures too.)  I think the vintage theme was spoiled in all my teaser photos but there's a reason for much of it, other than just the pretty eye candy.  There's not much within the park itself that ties this project to either my original re-imagining or the actual real-life defunct park, other than choosing to build it on the same plot of land.  I felt like if I was going to re-use the name I would have to make a significant effort to tie it to the city.  It's such a random little barely-city in a state with no theme parks, so from a marketing perspective I feel like there's a lot that can be done.

Omaha wasn't always so boring, and this project is trying to bring back 2 of the grander era's from the past.  (Both of which pre-date my birth by over 50 years, thank you.   :P)

So first, in 1898 the World Fair was held in Omaha, called the Trans Mississippi Exposition.  To accomodate this, the city built an entire city within the city, but only temporarily.  Several city blocks of glorious European architecture, invoking kind of a Venice theme.  The buildings were not built to last and the whole thing was destroyed within 5 years of the Expo ending, there are no remains to indicate this even happened.

Here's a fascinating (to me at least) model of the entire thing at a local museum:

My first attempt at building all that in this game started a couple of years ago, but I got distracted by all the night-lighting and art deco elements and that project turned into Expo City, more of a sci-fi take on it all.  For PPII I didn't go with a literal re-creation, but more of an aesthetic one, using some of the buildings and layout to create the look.  But I had to make it a theme park as well, so I definitely took liberties.  Adding in some color was one of them.

So that takes up a good third of my available land and currently over half of the park I've built so far.  For everything else I've been studying photos of the city from the early 20th century.  I noticed that Omaha in the 1920's was much more bustling (architecturally) than it is now, resembling how New York looked around that time.  But that's when New York continued adding to it's skyline and Omaha spent the next hundred years tearing it all down and replacing it with, well, crap.  So I wanted to do a tribute-homage to everything that's been lost.

The phase II section of the park (kind of a Paradise Pier looking expansion of the main lagoon) is to re-imagine the Omaha skyline as it looked in the 1920's, using actual buildings that are no longer standing.  I'm planning to bring back 30 or more structures that had some historic significance and prominence, and the research for that has been kind of fun because you'll scroll through a couple dozen pictures and then something will pop and I'm like "THAT is going in the park."  :love:

The phase II expansion is where I lost most of my work in November's save-over-catastrophe and I've spent a couple weeks now trying to bring it back, but it's never the same when you do that.  Some stuff is turning out better, others not as much.  And it's never fun building something you've already built.  But I've found a few buildings I didn't know about the first time, and some things, like the chair-lift, would not have fit in my original configuration.

And then also, because of the time period and the Coney Island resemblance, there's a lot of influence being taken from those vintage parks.  The Steeplechase racing coaster shown in the video was originally built last summer for my Lake Jeronimo project, and as the summer competition was winding down I decided it would be a good thematic starting point for bringing back Peony Park in a vintage style, so I took it out of Lake Jeronimo.  And to top that all off, I'm kind of tying all of this together with a loose circus theme, I guess because the appeal so far seemed kind of limited and I didn't want to bore everyone (Bullethead's ZL42 coaster played a big part in that decision.)

Is any of this realistic from a real world park budget perspective?  No.  It's a lot of 3 dimensional buildings built at 75% scale as opposed to cardboard facades, so there's a lot of money here.  I am trying to find purposes for most of the buildings, like coaster stations, flat rides, hotels, convention space, etc.  The appeal is definitely more for the locals, particularly those of a certain age who want to re-live or feel what it was like to walk down the streets of this town a hundred years ago.  But hopefully it will also lure in some tourism, because this is all a lot to pay for.   :facepalm:

Thanks for reading all that, more pictures to come.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:08 AM by JPAlmighT »

Re: Peony Park II: The PPII Story
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2019, 05:47 AM »
nice write up and explanation

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2019, 08:52 PM »
You've done a good job giving us your thoughts and concepts for PPII. I think it's great that you're bringing back long-gone architecture. Sounds like many cities around the U.S. (including my own) have gutted their core and replaced the interesting buildings from the early 1900s with characterless crap. (your word :P)

I can recognize the influence of the Omaha Exposition in your first park pic- the central water feature and the buildings with arches and columns. Also, the 'Omaha' tower in the middle of the lake looks like it's based on either the Dreamland Tower or the Luna Park Electric Tower, both from Coney in the early 1900s.

I appreciate the old 1898 photos of the Expo. Like Coney Island of about the same time, the architecture is a wondrous mix of neo-classical meets circus whimsy. Exciting, fun, and elegant all at the same time.

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2019, 04:59 AM »
Thank you as always Wowman!  It means a lot to me that you always jump in and give me some feedback as soon as I post anything.  I need to do a better job doing that for you and many others!  :-[

Good eye, JB.  That "weenie" in the water was needed to help set the tone and add a visual distraction from an otherwise empty lagoon, so I lifted the inspiration for that from Dreamland.  Many of the visuals in this park will come from Coney Island, as Omaha has never had anything like this and it helps me put some amusement park atmosphere in amongst the old buildings.  I've got some custom flats coming as well that are based on Coney attractions from the 20's.

Offline hhnman234

• RCT3 Forever and Always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2019, 07:39 AM »
Incredible job! I love the realism of the communities. Nice work!

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2019, 07:48 PM »
Thanks, hhnman!

I don't really have a plan for how to show the park in pictures, so this is kind of all over the place...

The park will have two train stations, the first one is a pseudo-replica of the Union Station in this city from early in the century.  It was also torn down very early in the century, and in this case replaced with something more art-deco that is still standing today (as a museum.)    So not too huge of a loss there.

Since train travel was much more commonplace and elegant back then, I'm trying to give the station an interior to emphasize that...

^^Despite the paintings on the wall, this train will not take you to Holliday Harbour or Expo City.  (I just happened to have those pictures in my folder.)

I had big plans for the Diner I built for my original Peony Park project, especially since doing that project, The Diner has now been torn down in real life.  But once we got the chairlifts and I had to figure out what to do with stations for them, I gutted the inside of the Diner (and replaced much of the outside, it's barely recognizable) and made that my 2nd chairlift station.  I don't like that it's elevated because I couldn't really think of a way to explain why one building on this street is terraced but the rest are at ground level.  But if the station was any lower there wouldn't have been path clearance.

[Yeah, that's a horrible shot of the diner, you can barely see it.  I was doing some re-building work in this section of the park and clearly I was trying to show off some other things :P]

Also imported from the original Peony Park I built, and also receiving a subtle makeover, The Tickler is back.  It fits that vintage Coney Island vibe so I kind of had to.

Finally, the grand carousel didn't exist when I started this park, so I had the original smaller carousel, in a custom pavillion I built for it, off to the side of the main lagoon.  The grand carousel wouldn't fit there so I decided to make it a "floating grand carousel" and I moved the trapeze artists further up the canal.  It all worked out for the best as the lagoon was looking kind of empty.  Only problem now is I don't know what to do with the original skin I built for the smaller carousel.  (Two carousels in a park this size would be dumb.)

I kind of don't really feel like the grand carousel needs a skin over the top; I like the in-game vintage feel it has.  I also don't want to block the sightlines from the main entrance to the opposite end of the lagoon, but I'm open to suggestions.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park II - update 03.02
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2019, 08:17 PM »
Some really gorgeous screenshots, especially the first two. And I love the Tickler. :)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2019, 08:53 PM »
I like all the stairs and ramps going every-which-way in the first pic. And the railway station captures the old-style station architecture perfectly. :)  Is that mosaic/stained glass window a billboard image? I hope so; I'd hate to think how many polys that would have if it was actually modeled or pieced together. And I love the old-timey colors in the Tickler image.

I agree with your decision to leave the grand carousel with its original cover. It looks 'grand' just the way it is (and it would save a lot of extra polys). As for your custom carousel cover- perhaps use it as a bandstand or arrange a bunch of food & drink stalls in a circle, back-to-back?

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2019, 11:48 PM »
Such fantastic pictures! The Tickler is such a brilliant build... And you nailed the train station interriour like no other. The vibe of the interriour is so authentic and genuine. It looks like all those scenery objects were only exactly made to be put right there. :)
My Workshop: Steam Workshop