Peony Park II - Jobbers Canyon [video]

• 168 replies
Re: Peony Park II - update 03.02
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2019, 04:36 AM »
Some really gorgeous screenshots, especially the first two. And I love the Tickler. :)
Thanks Shyguy, I always think of what it would take to impress you when I'm doing an interior for something :D

I like all the stairs and ramps going every-which-way in the first pic. And the railway station captures the old-style station architecture perfectly. :)  Is that mosaic/stained glass window a billboard image? I hope so; I'd hate to think how many polys that would have if it was actually modeled or pieced together. And I love the old-timey colors in the Tickler image.

I agree with your decision to leave the grand carousel with its original cover. It looks 'grand' just the way it is (and it would save a lot of extra polys). As for your custom carousel cover- perhaps use it as a bandstand or arrange a bunch of food & drink stalls in a circle, back-to-back?

The mosaic is a TMTK object from the workshop, let me know if you need a link.  I did have to use a couple of them with one of them inverted to make it fit the space.

I really like the bandstand idea; it's just off to the side when you enter the park (currently sitting empty) and having live entertainment in that spot is a great idea!

Such fantastic pictures! The Tickler is such a brilliant build... And you nailed the train station interriour like no other. The vibe of the interriour is so authentic and genuine. It looks like all those scenery objects were only exactly made to be put right there. :)

Thank you CSL, I'm not too good with interiors so I was feeling nervous when I posted those   :-[

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2019, 05:11 AM »
Brillaint work, JP.  Truly breathtaking scale and detail.  You have really captured the vibe you were looking for.  And your back stories always make us laugh.   :D

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2019, 11:13 AM »
Very classy!
Looking cool!

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2019, 02:01 PM »
Nice - what an elaborate maze of stairs and ramps to get to Union Station. The interiors are beautiful as well.

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2019, 08:40 AM »
Brillaint work, JP.  Truly breathtaking scale and detail.  You have really captured the vibe you were looking for.  And your back stories always make us laugh.   :D

Thank you sir, and thanks for the comment on my video.  But you shouldn't have told me I was funny because that's only going to encourage me :P

Very classy!
Looking cool!

Thanks Redhair!

Nice - what an elaborate maze of stairs and ramps to get to Union Station. The interiors are beautiful as well.

While I like path mazes, the station pathing is a little less complicated than it looks from that angle.  There are three tiers of pathing in this section of the park, all of it built on-grid to replicate the World Fair look, and generally for every staircase there is a nearby ramp.   The Union Station pathing is very symmetrical so from a peep level it's very obvious which way you need to go.  :P

-----------------

Sometimes you can build every day for a couple of weeks and nothing really happens, but I've been lucky the last 2 days that some cool inspiration hit me when I needed it to and I've had a couple mornings of productive builds.  :D

The Hotel Fontenelle (1914-1983) was always going to be in this park because of it's beauty and historical prominence in the city.  I was originally planning on it being an actual hotel, but once it became surrounded by 3 tracked rides public access became an issue and now I've found a better use for it.

Here's how it looked in real life:

And my version:

^^The World Theatre (I think later called "The Omaha") was originally going to be a full 3d building with an implied auditorium inside.   Once I got my inspiration for the vintage car ride it's now going to be a facade with another facade for a different building on the other side.  But the launched coaster still gets to launch over the marquee :D

^^The antique cars will route through here toward the end of their journey so I wanted to go big on the lobby interior.  It's not a haunted attraction but those elevators seem to be a bit glitchy.  :P

^^The last shot especially is very WIP, but I was surprised how interesting it was all looking from the back, which is eventually what the neighbors across the street are going to be seeing.  I was happy with how the viaduct overlooking the railyard turned out as that is a scene that actually still exists in this city.  One of those sets of tracks is "live" so that you'll occasionally see a train pass through.

Lots of workshop content in these shots, but most notably the chandeliers by dutch religion and chant (both non-tmtk) and stained glass windows from willibix have been getting a lot of use in this park.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:44 AM by JPAlmighT »

Re: Peony Park II - The Hotel Fontenelle
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2019, 03:59 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I think I just crapped my pants!!!!!
AMAZING WORK!!!!!!!!!
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2019, 05:34 PM »
That interior is about the best I've seen in this game so far. unbelievable work.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2019, 03:06 PM »
Whoa...that hotel lobby is sublime.  That chandelier is perfect there.  Nice use of all the various objects to make a cohesive theme.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2019, 03:39 PM »
I'm wondering what that gold statue of a dwarf(?) carrying a goose(?) is all about. Is that an in-game object? There seems to be a consensus- we're all blown away by your hotel lobby. :)

EDIT: I just became a V.I.P.! (500+ posts) Bow down before me, underlings! :P  What are the perks? I want my perks! :mad:up:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:45 PM by JB »

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2019, 06:07 PM »
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I think I just crapped my pants!!!!!
AMAZING WORK!!!!!!!!!

You can pick up some spare pants in our Emporium, lol.   In the meantime, I totally accept pants-crapping as a high form of flattery, so thank you.

That interior is about the best I've seen in this game so far. unbelievable work.

That is a very kind statement and I'm happy with how it turned out, but it's certainly not the best.  I've seen some rather astounding interiors around this forum lately.  Thanks wowman.

Whoa...that hotel lobby is sublime.  That chandelier is perfect there.  Nice use of all the various objects to make a cohesive theme.

The chandelier set is beautiful and very well made.  I can't think of how long it would've taken me to even try something like that and it still wouldn't have looked half as good.  Thank you sir!

I'm wondering what that gold statue of a dwarf(?) carrying a goose(?) is all about. Is that an in-game object? There seems to be a consensus- we're all blown away by your hotel lobby. :)

EDIT: I just became a V.I.P.! (500+ posts) Bow down before me, underlings! :P  What are the perks? I want my perks! :mad:up:

Well, that is King Putt.  He was the mascot of the golf course at my original Peony Park.  But it was kind of lazy to put him in there, so based on your comment I tried to do better:

A little more subtle, I think.  (I was totally going to do the Austin Powers thing and have him peeing into the fountain, but it was kind of hard to hide the special effect emitter.  He's not very well endowed.) 

Also, I liked your suggestion for the former carousel skin so now it's a small amphitheater as you enter the park.

Might need some re-theming inside though, it kind of feels like a church.  I guess maybe we could let people get married in there?

Does everyone remember the Waltzer that Fisherman made for Kaleidoscope Piers?  Well, I tried to make my own but I'm not in love with it.  I may come back and revisit this one to try and improve it.

And speaking of my original PP build, for no particular reason I built the Pan Pacific Auditorium for that park and used it as the Royal Terrace, an old ballroom.  This park still needs some kind of grand ballroom, but it won't be the Pan Pacific.  I wasn't going to include it at all but then someone went and made some Xanadu pieces for the workshop and I kind of felt like it would be wrong of me NOT to use them for something....  So while one chairlift station will be diner themed, this one will be a "tribute" to my original Royal Terrace.  (It's unfortunate that the TMTK set is not recolorable, but I understand since they're doing it as a re-creation from the film.)

There's an entrance to the Crystal Emporium in the background of that last shot, Lux.  Menswear is on the 2nd level.  :P

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2019, 09:00 PM »
I like the fountain re-do, JP. It makes the lobby look even more elegant and classy. Pity about his small endowment, it would've been fun to see (him peeing into the fountain, that is). I had no problem with king Putt, I was just trying, in my snarky way, to figure out what the heck he was supposed to represent. I thought maybe he was Bacchus but I couldn't account for the goose.

The amphitheater does look kinda churchy on the inside. Maybe it's the stained glass panels? Perhaps making it look more festive, more Coney Island-like, would add some fun and spice. (I have a nice little spice shop if you need any. And I've dealt with the rat problem.) :D

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2019, 03:17 AM »
I agree there might be some stained-glass overkill going on (everywhere).  But they're just so pretty!  I think the backdrop behind the piano can be switched out or maybe even recolored to something less pastel.  I'll work on that.

Hmmm... I do need to find you a place to work in PP, I have to keep you employed year-round and there's not much business at Holliday Harbour in the off season.  Most of these buildings are coming with their original names so it's not giving me as much freedom to name stuff.  But I'll figure something out, we have to celebrate your new VIP status.  :P

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2019, 07:56 AM »
Well done! I love the attention to detail, as well as your use of real photos of real places to help you create something extremely realistic.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2019, 04:07 PM »
Quote: "we have to celebrate your new VIP status.  :P"

Durn tootin'! I knew there would be perks! :P

Quote: "...there might be some stained-glass overkill going on (everywhere).  But they're just so pretty!"

I suffer from the same affliction. I love saturated colors and bright shiny objects. :D  Changing the colors of the backdrop might be all it needs. Maybe with some more dramatic stage lighting.

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Thanks Cody!

And JB, I just closed down the game and totally forgot to revisit that bandstand.  But I'm on a mission, I will de-churchify it!

-----------

I think I said earlier that all of the buildings being recreated for this park have to be no longer standing to qualify, and I think I also said (or meant to say) that there was one exception.  The building that housed the Sunset Tea Room in the 1920s is still standing, it has been lovingly restored and is now a sports bar.  But in PPII it is back to being the Sunset Tea Room again, a place for little girls of all ages to live out their dreams of attending a real life tea party.  (I know this is a thing because my niece wanted a tea party a couple of years ago when she was 5; I was not allowed to attend because no boys were allowed.)  Peony Park will not be enforcing that rule.

^^My version of the building is a bit truncated; I didn't need it to be any bigger than this.   The spire next to it is my version of a Dewdrop spiral slide that I made out of a Hoax track.  I forget which of the big 3 Coney Island parks had one during the day, but that's my inspiration.

The entrance is on the opposite side since the teacup ride is blocking what would be the main entrance.  I was going to put dolls on display in the window so that kids could buy a doll to have tea with, but I figured that would present a shortage of seating.  (And also the workshop didn't have anything that was size-appropriate.)

My niece discovered at her tea party that she did not like tea, so the Sunset Tea Room will also serve lemonade, in addition to finger sandwiches, macaroons, and whatever else people have at tea parties.

This last shot was just sitting in my Steam folder, I guess it shows the other side of the path to the right of the Tickler in the above photo.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:58 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Peony Park II - The Sunset Tea Room
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2019, 09:39 PM »
Wow JP, another elegant interior! I like tea, although I think I would be bored to tears at an actual tea party. I think you dodged a bullet with that 'no boys allowed' rule. But I wouldn't mind sitting there in your Tea Room for an hour, just ogling the fine detail all around me.

That last shot has a lot going for it. All the different architectural styles, the colors, the overall excitement and motion- great pic!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2019, 06:07 AM »
Oh, JP!   :o  This is so inspiring.  I admire anyone who can put this much detail into any project.  It is a rare sight.  I appreciate your patience sticking to this and just making it better and better with each update.  wow.

Dewdrop is brilliantly done, by the way...and the tea room speaks for itself...just the best interior I've seen yet since that one guy's Hotel Fontenelle lobby...oh wait...that WAS you.  ha ha   ;)

« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2019, 07:10 AM »
nice!! - love the tower and the interiors (as well as everything else). Nice work here

« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2019, 07:11 AM »
Also, not sure if you are using TMT items or not, but there are items out there that can be used for table place settings. Cups, plates, etc.

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2019, 10:58 AM »
Thank you CSL, I'm not too good with interiors so I was feeling nervous when I posted those   :-[
Ha! And then you post the pic of that Sunset Tea Room... The outside already is incredible, but that interriour... Wow, just wow!
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2019, 02:44 PM »
Oh JP, this is very special. My eyes literally fell out of my head looking at these shots. There is just so much to look at and take in. The detail is so layered and rich. You're creating real art here, buddy.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2019, 12:46 PM »
You blew me away with the Sunset Tea Room interior.  :o
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2019, 05:48 AM »
Thank you all for the comments, but I have to confess:  The interior of the tea room only took a few minutes to build.  What you are mostly seeing is the non-TMTK workshop table and chairs by bhamilto1x located here:  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231601448

It's really simple once you see how they did it, but not something I would've thought to do.  The only change I made was to put the one lamp in the center as opposed to the 3 lamps that it comes with, then just repeated that 8 or 9 times to fill the room.   Everything else in that room is pretty basic stuff, I think the most remotely creative thing I did was flipping a vase update down in the middle of the fountain :P

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2019, 08:54 AM »
The Crystal Emporium got it's name after I put in the chandeliers.  But they sell a variety of souvenir-oriented merchandise, mostly clothing.   It will not be the only shopping opportunity in this park but it is currently the largest, not to mention placed near the main entrance so that we can get you coming and going :)

The building exterior was mostly modeled after one of the structures in the Trans Mississippi Expo that this area was themed after.

I just sort of "winged it" on the interior, throwing in about everything I could think of.   It's my usual trick of filling up screenshots with so many things that it makes it look like I worked harder than I did.  :P   Even then, there are still some empty shelves and a lot of room for more merchandise, but I'm really killing my framerate with all these interiors so I had to find a suitable compromise...

Moving on, (this shot is mostly for JB), I tried to make that gazebo less churchy and more entertainment-friendly, with more theatrical colors, theatrical curtains and stage scaffolding, and a theatrical bunny on the wall in place of the stained-glass window.

These next 2 shots are spoilery of something you're not really supposed to be seeing for quite awhile, but I just spent the last 2 mornings working on this still-work-in-progress circus tent and I wanted to show it off... from a distance.

I've been wanting a circus tent in this park from the beginning but didn't really like my workshop options until last week when some new larger fabric strips showed up.   As you can see in the last shot, the tent barely shows up in my skyline (and I had to move some trees to get it into this shot.)  If I make it taller I'll have to make the base larger as well and I'm not sure I want the actual tent to be any bigger.  As it is, it's big enough for me to fit Bullethead's already circus themed Pinfari inside.  I've also got a bunch of other ideas for things to put in there, but probably won't be making any decisions on that for awhile yet.

Hey, I suppose I could raise the terrain underneath to make it taller...

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
Re: Peony Park II - The Crystal Emporium
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Simply marvellous sir. I really don't know what else to say.

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2019, 04:09 PM »
Beautiful, beautiful work here! Love the dew drop and I might have to steal it for my Coney Island!

The carousel enclosure and the crystal emporium look great!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2019, 08:10 PM »
As always, I love your interiors.
And how nice of you to give Mr. Wonder's nephew his own coffee shop. :P
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2019, 09:03 PM »
The changes to the gazebo did the trick, JP. :)  With the glitzier lighting and the new backdrop, now it's more "Let me entertain you" and less "Amen". ;)  Shame we had to lose the stained glass window; it was pretty- maybe a little too pretty. It tended to draw one's attention to it, instead of the performers on stage. Now the focus is on the entertainers, where it belongs. (unless one has a bunny fetish :P)

I love the look of the Steeplechase coaster. All that wood! :o  I would imagine it's lowering your frame-rate as well (but worth it). And the circus tent looks exciting; sort of a Circus Mountain. If you really think it needs to be higher, your idea of raising the ground would probably be the best option as adding another tier to the tent would, I think, make it look kind of odd? (Maybe that's the look you're going for.)

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2019, 03:08 AM »
Simply marvellous sir. I really don't know what else to say.

What you said is perfectly fine with me.  Thanks Nemmie!

Beautiful, beautiful work here! Love the dew drop and I might have to steal it for my Coney Island!
The carousel enclosure and the crystal emporium look great!

I'll try and extract the dew drop and get it on the workshop for you, CT.

As always, I love your interiors.
And how nice of you to give Mr. Wonder's nephew his own coffee shop. :P

Haha.  "Scooters" is a coffee chain hq'd out of Omaha.  I know they have franchises in other parts of the state, not sure if other states have them.  I would never be so kind to Mr. Wonder's nephew.  Wanda however, is welcome to visit this park anytime as I'm always looking for new people to drink with :D

The changes to the gazebo did the trick, JP. :)  With the glitzier lighting and the new backdrop, now it's more "Let me entertain you" and less "Amen". ;)  Shame we had to lose the stained glass window; it was pretty- maybe a little too pretty. It tended to draw one's attention to it, instead of the performers on stage. Now the focus is on the entertainers, where it belongs. (unless one has a bunny fetish :P)

I love the look of the Steeplechase coaster. All that wood! :o  I would imagine it's lowering your frame-rate as well (but worth it). And the circus tent looks exciting; sort of a Circus Mountain. If you really think it needs to be higher, your idea of raising the ground would probably be the best option as adding another tier to the tent would, I think, make it look kind of odd? (Maybe that's the look you're going for.)

Thank you as always.  There's not as many custom supports on that coaster as it looks, just the diagonals on the ends and some stuff in the middle to connect the dots.  There's more I could do but don't want to do, and likewise with the other coasters in this park.  Custom supporting is often un-rewarding work, as the better you are at it, the less likely people are to notice you did it at all.  (Bullethead is so good at it that he once had to show me which of his supports were custom because I honestly couldn't tell.)

As for frame rate, yeah it's a joke in this park.  It was fine before the TMTK update and hasn't been the same since.  Not sure what I'm going to do for the remaining videos :(

« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2019, 06:21 AM »
The Dew Drop is now available on the workshop. 
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1688256435 

It's just a big prop, no pathing required and the Hoax track serves no functional purpose.  I suggest sinking it so that the bottom of the wood platform is flush with the ground, otherwise hypothetical peeps will die.  And remember that if you move this after placing it you'll also have to move the track to match.