Wonders of Life

• 1 replies
Wonders of Life
« on: May 22, 2020, 02:27 PM »
Just wanted to share this as its been a big part of my life the past few weeks.
we planted milkweed to attract monarch butterflies. had them about a year or so now. we get eggs and caterpillars many time throughout the year and they chew the plants down to nothing, and then wasps come along and kill and eat the caterpillars. We have seen only one make it to a butterfly that we knew of.

So a couple weeks ago, many small baby caterpillars showed up on the plants again, but the plants were struggling. never grew back well from that wave of little buggers. So, we purchased 5 good healthy plants with lot of leaves. I build a 2x4 foot screen enclosure for them and we hand picked and moved 36 caterpillars into the safe habitat.

we watched them grow over that past two weeks and all leave the plants and hang from the top screening to form into the the chrysalis. Now about 8 days later they are starting to emerge as beautiful butterflies. So far 16 have transformed and been released.

I was so lucking to be able to set up some lighting and record one of them changing through both stages. Hope can get some peace and enjoyment from watching these wonders of life.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Wonders of Life
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 04:04 PM »
Thanks, wowman. :)  First of all, I was expecting the caterpillar to spin a silk cocoon. Then I was surprised to see his 'skin' splitting and shriveling as the chrysalis(?) appeared from inside. Interesting to see his (its) wings being pumped up in preparation for flight.

I don't think we have any true Monarchs left here in the Pacific Northwest, just 'false' Monarchs. I think we did have them around when I was a kid though (1950s-'60s). I don't know, maybe there still are some in a few areas here. Nice video(s). A welcome change of subject from all the virus and politics news.