Random Trivia

• 375 replies
Re: Random Trivia
« Reply #330 on: October 28, 2019, 01:04 PM »
I've always thought that a ghoul was someone or something  that feeds off of corpses; or maybe just robs the jewelry, etc. So I'm torn between B. An undead being, and C. Robs graves. I think maybe it's B. An undead being.

Should have stuck to your original idea. Ghouls do rob graves, and then usually consume the cadavers.

What is the most popular candy bar to give out at Halloween year after year? (best selling)

A. Milky Way
B. Hershey's Chocolate
C. Three Musketeers
D. Snickers

« Reply #331 on: October 28, 2019, 01:23 PM »
Should have stuck to your original idea. Ghouls do rob graves, and then usually consume the cadavers.

What is the most popular candy bar to give out at Halloween year after year? (best selling)

A. Milky Way
B. Hershey's Chocolate
C. Three Musketeers
D. Snickers
This is hard as now-a-days most are in variety packs that include most all of these...except Hershey's. They are not usually included in those Mars variety packs. This year I got 3 variety packs, but I also bought a separate bag of Hershey's...so I'm going with Hershey's. I would have picked Reese's if they were on the list.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 28, 2019, 02:16 PM »
I kinda think that B. Hershey bars are the best selling, not just at Halloween, but year round. Snickers is probably a close second. My favorite is Oh Henry. There's another trivia question- how did they come up with that name? (I don't know the answer.) I know that Baby Ruth (a similar candy bar to Oh Henry) was named after the daughter of... someone-that-I-can't-think-of-at-the-moment. A President?

« Reply #333 on: October 28, 2019, 05:48 PM »
I kinda think that B. Hershey bars are the best selling, not just at Halloween, but year round. Snickers is probably a close second. My favorite is Oh Henry. There's another trivia question- how did they come up with that name? (I don't know the answer.) I know that Baby Ruth (a similar candy bar to Oh Henry) was named after the daughter of... someone-that-I-can't-think-of-at-the-moment. A President?
Found this on a candy history site

The Oh Henry Bar is a straightforward, delicious candy bar with a somewhat complicated history. As opposed to Snickers that was named after Forrest Mars’ beloved racehorse, no one is 100% certain where the name for Oh Henry came from.

Theories abound but one thing that almost everyone agrees upon is that this is a delicious candy bar and has been for close to 100 years. And no, this candy bar is not named after the baseball great Hank Aaron.

Spark your curiosity? Read on…
Lore has it that the name was derived from that of a randy young man who made frequents visits to the original manufacturers – the Williamson company – less for sugary sweets and more to flirt with the eye candy who worked on the assembly line. This leaves us to assume that the young man’s name was — you guessed it — Henry. But certain proof eludes us.

Perhaps a more credible theory is that the candy bar was named after the owner of the now defunct Peerless Candy company.  The owner’s name was Tom Henry and in a vainglorious move, created the Tom Henry Bar.  It was a short-lived venture as he sold the rights to the candy bar in 1920 to the Williamson Candy who changed the name to Oh Henry.

oh-henry-candy-bar-historyOh Henry was also one of the first examples of “guerilla marketing” as an employee of Williamson Candy Company was determined to make the Oh Henry Bar famous. Lacking the funds to launch a full frontal Madison Avenue advertising campaign, this wily salesman had bumper stickers printed with only two words – Oh Henry. Curiousity didn’t kill the cat and this candy bar quickly made a name for itself.

The candy bar is also sold in Canada but distributed by Hershey with the difference being a “chocolately” coating as opposed to milk chocolate.

Things remained much the same for close to 65 years until 1984, when Nestle acquired the rights to distribute Oh Henry in the United States but, alas, not everything lasts forever.

In 2018, Nestle sold the rights to Ferrara Pan and the candy bar has curiously disappeared from the shelves.  As of October 2019, it has not been confirmed that these beloved candy icon has been discontinued. Stay tuned…

« Reply #334 on: October 28, 2019, 05:52 PM »
From snopes.com

get ready for this one!!!!

Origins:   The Curtiss Candy Company was

Ruthless.
founded in Chicago in 1916 by Otto Schnering. Schnering, who wanted a name more “American-sounding” than his own for the company (German surnames not being much of an asset during World War I), used his mother’s maiden name instead.

The Curtiss Candy Company’s first product was a confection known as Kandy Kake, which featured a pastry center topped with nuts and coated with chocolate. This candy bar was only a moderate success until 1921, when Schnering reintroduced it as a log-shaped bar made of caramel and peanuts, covered with chocolate. Schnering named his new confection the “Baby Ruth” bar, priced it at five cents (half the cost of other bars), and soon had one of the hottest-selling candy bars on the market.

Three explanations have since been offered concerning the origins of the “Baby Ruth” candy bar’s name:

The bar was named after “Baby” Ruth Cleveland, the first-born daughter of President Grover Cleveland.
The bar was named after baseball slugger George Herman “Babe” Ruth.
The bar was named for a granddaughter of Mrs. George Williamson, Mrs. Williamson being the wife of the president of the Williamson Candy Company and one of the developers of the “Baby Ruth” bar formula.

Explanation #1 is the “official” explanation that has been proffered by the Curtiss Candy Company since the 1920s.

Explanation #2 is the “obvious” explanation; the one assumed by people who have not been exposed to any theories about the candy’s origin.

Explanation #3 is an alternate explanation proffered by syndicated columnist L.M. Boyd that can be readily dismissed. The Williamson Candy Company, producer of the “Oh! Henry” bar, was a direct competitor of Curtiss’ and would have been most unlikely to supply a product name and formula to a rival. Furthermore, the Curtiss Candy Company has never claimed this as an origin of its candy bar’s

name.

The claim that the “Baby Ruth” bar was named after Ruth Cleveland is found dubious by many because Ruth Cleveland died of diphtheria in 1904, over seventeen years before the “Baby Ruth” bar was first produced. Naming a candy bar after the long-dead daughter of a former president would certainly be a curious choice. Moreover, the notion that a candy bar called “Baby Ruth” should appear on the market just when a baseball player named Babe Ruth had suddenly become the most famous person in America is perceived as a rather striking coincidence.

If the Curtiss Candy Company did indeed appropriate Babe Ruth’s name without permission, it would have had a motive for developing a fabricated yet believable explanation in case a challenge arose over the candy bar’s name. Curtiss did indeed have to fight off at least one challenge to its name, when a competitor (with the full approval of Babe Ruth) attempted to market a candy named the “Babe Ruth Home Run Bar.” Curtiss, claiming that its candy bar was named for Ruth Cleveland, was successful in forcing the competing candy bar off the market because its rival’s name too closely resembled that of its own product.

The fact that Curtiss successfully fought off a challenge to its candy bar’s name does not demonstrate that the company was untruthful, however. Merely showing that it might have had a reason to lie is not evidence of any disingenuousness on its part; we must prove that Curtiss did in fact lie about the origins of the “Baby Ruth” name. Although we may not be able to show that Curtiss was less than honest when it was fighting off the challenge of the “Babe Ruth Home Run Bar”, we can certainly demonstrate that it has been dishonest about the origin of the name “Baby Ruth” in the years since then.

First of all, the official Curtiss position maintained for many years is that its “candy bar made its initial appearance in 1921, some years before Babe Ruth . . . became famous.” In 1919, Babe Ruth was a standout pitcher for the Red Sox, but he was not well-known outside of Boston and the baseball world. Sold to the New York Yankees prior to the 1920 season, Ruth soon established himself as an outfield star and was nationally famous by the end of the year. By 1921 his name was featured more prominently on the front pages of afternoon newspapers than President Harding’s. The claim that he was not famous until “some years” after 1921 is nothing but absurd. This misstatement could merely be a mistake on Curtiss’ part due to shoddy record-keeping or research, but the claim has been offered for so many years and is so easily verifiable that it is hard to explain as anything other than dissembling.

Another claim made by the Curtiss Candy Company is much harder to dismiss as mere bad record-keeping, though. Part of the official statement about the “Baby Ruth” name offered by Curtiss has been that Ruth Cleveland “visited the Curtiss Candy Company plant years ago when the company was getting started and this largely influenced the company’s founder to name the candy bar ‘Baby Ruth.'” Ruth Cleveland died at age twelve in 1904; no amount of bad record-keeping can place her in the factory of a company that wouldn’t exist until more than a decade after her death.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 28, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Wow. Who needs Wikipedia when we've got wowman to hunt things down for us! :D  So it sounds like no one really knows the origin of the Oh Henry name. And no one is admitting to stealing Babe Ruth's name. Typical. I hope that's not true about the disappearance of the Oh Henry bar; I purchased a bag just a week or so ago. Although, when I went back to buy another bag yesterday, I couldn't find them anymore. That's not too unusual though; when stores sell all of a particular Halloween candy they don't usually order any more, lest they get stuck with it past the Trick-or-Treat season. Oh well, I can always fall back on Baby Ruth bars if I have too. But they're not as tasty as Oh Henrys. I think Oh Henrys use more brown sugar (or maybe some molasses) in the fudgy/caramel center.

« Reply #336 on: November 02, 2019, 10:24 AM »
More info than I ever wanted on candy!  ;D

My source said the correct answer is Snickers.

Moving on to Thanksgiving trivia;

How many living descendants are there from the original 102 colonists on the Mayflower?

A.  More than 10 million
B.  More than 20 million
C.  More than 30 million
D.  More than 50 million

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 02, 2019, 03:32 PM »
Absolutely, positively, 100% no clue. :P  But I'll go with  A.  More than 10 million.

EDIT: Also, Happy Birthday, wowman! (In a day or so, it looks like.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 03:40 PM by JB »

« Reply #338 on: November 02, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Absolutely, positively, 100% no clue. :P  But I'll go with  A.  More than 10 million.

EDIT: Also, Happy Birthday, wowman! (In a day or so, it looks like.)
THX - On Monday...I will be one year more grumpy . :)

« Reply #339 on: November 04, 2019, 01:23 PM »
In What language did Christopher Columbus write his journal of his first voyage to the New World?
A: Latin
B: Portuguese
C: Spanish
D: Italian

In what language did he write his ‘secret’ copy of the journal?
A: Spanish
B: English
C: Dutch
D: Greek

A: Latin
and
D: Greek

« Reply #340 on: November 04, 2019, 01:32 PM »
Couple state questions this week

What state is the top coal-mining capitol?
A: Wyoming
B: West Virginia
C: Pennsylvania
D: North Dakota

What state is the only state that does not have a National Park?
A: Rhode Island
B: Michigan
C: Alabama
D: Delaware

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 04, 2019, 03:01 PM »
Coal mining: I would guess it is either West Virginia or Pennsylvania. (thinking...) Okay, I'll go with  C: Pennsylvania. Again, probably wrong.

No National Parks: I'm tempted to say Delaware because it's the smallest state- NO ROOM FOR A NAT'L PARK! But it's one of the 13 original colonies (I think) so it probably has at least 1 Nat'l Park. Seems like Alabama has a Civil War Nat'l Park or maybe a cavern that is a Nat'l Park. Hmm... I'll say  B: Michigan. Don't know why, really.

« Reply #342 on: November 04, 2019, 03:53 PM »

Never ask a Social Studies teacher those kind of questions!!!  ;D

Wyoming produces around 40% of the coal burned in the U.S. and Delaware has no national park.

I guess I missed the Columbus question, but yes, Latin and Greek would be correct.

What is generally believed by scholars to be the main course at the first Thanksgiving?

A. Codfish
B. Venison
C. Turkey
D. Assorted Animal Stew

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 04, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Well, I'm pretty sure it wasn't turkey; I think that's a relatively recent development. Assorted animal stew sounds like it would be the easiest (squirrel, rabbit, etc.). And venison sounds very likely, but I'll go with my first hunch and say  A. Codfish.

« Reply #344 on: November 07, 2019, 01:49 PM »
How many living descendants are there from the original 102 colonists on the Mayflower?

A.  More than 10 million
B.  More than 20 million
C.  More than 30 million
D.  More than 50 million

More than 30 million.

What is generally believed by scholars to be the main course at the first Thanksgiving?

A. Codfish
B. Venison
C. Turkey
D. Assorted Animal Stew

It is believed that venison was the main course at the first Thanksgiving.

The Pilgrims that survived that first year, about 50, invited their good friends, the Wampanoag tribe, to join them for a harvest celebration in the fall of 1621. Approximately how many Native Americans showed up?

A. 50
B. 75
C. 90
D. 125
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:51 PM by citytrader »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 07, 2019, 04:04 PM »
I'm guessing it was more than 50.  C. 90  sounds about right.

« Reply #346 on: November 10, 2019, 01:40 PM »

West Virginia is no longer the coal-mining capital of the U.S.; nine of the ten top-producing coal mines are located in Wyoming

this question was deemed INVALID
So….after researching this a bit more...

The official answer was supposed to be Delaware., but the question is a bit dated as DE now has an official site as well.

After looking into this more the question was not really worded very well from my source…and it should have been a park managed by the Natl Park Service.

« Reply #347 on: November 10, 2019, 01:41 PM »
What was the first name of the female persona Dustin Hoffman's character adopted in the 1982 film Tootsie?
A: Denise
B: Dorothy
C: Deborah
D: Diana

« Reply #348 on: November 10, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Hey guys...also a reminder. Let me know if you want to officially join in on my trivia game I run via email (all for fun). I do have a few openings for new players if you are interested.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 10, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Pretty sure (really sure) it's  B: Dorothy. Haven't seen the movie in decades but the name jumped out at me as soon as I saw the choices.

I still have the PM you sent me way-back-when, inviting me to join the trivia game. :)  I keep it just in case I decide to join. I've kinda gotten in the habit of playing the game here at SGW, which has the added bonus of other SGW members joining in if they so choose. It helps with keeping the site active.

« Reply #350 on: November 12, 2019, 12:42 PM »
The Pilgrims that survived that first year, about 50, invited their good friends, the Wampanoag tribe, to join them for a harvest celebration in the fall of 1621. Approximately how many Native Americans showed up?

A. 50
B. 75
C. 90
D. 125

JB is correct. 90 Native Americans were in attendance at the feast.

What was the first name of the female persona Dustin Hoffman's character adopted in the 1982 film Tootsie?

B. Dorothy Michaels. His character was named Michael Dorsey, I believe. Can't believe I remembered that!

What was the name of the colony begun by the Puritans in 1620?

A. New Guernsey
B. Massachusetts
C. Northern Virginia
D. Plimouth Plantation

« Reply #351 on: November 12, 2019, 02:41 PM »
going with New Guernsey because of the "new" reference

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 12, 2019, 08:52 PM »
Michael Dorsey?? I can't believe you remembered that, either. :P

The 1620 Puritan colony: Hmm, I'm tempted to say Plimouth Plantation, but I'll go with what wowman said- A. New Guernsey, and for the same reason.

« Reply #353 on: November 13, 2019, 02:03 PM »

« Reply #354 on: November 13, 2019, 02:04 PM »
According to tour guide Tina in the film Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, the Alamo lacks which of the following features?
A: Basement
B: Cafeteria
C: Gift shop
D: Public restroom

« Reply #355 on: November 13, 2019, 02:29 PM »
What was the name of the colony begun by the Puritans in 1620?

A. New Guernsey
B. Massachusetts
C. Northern Virginia
D. Plimouth Plantation

The correct answer is D. Plimouth Plantation, which was eventually shortened to Plimouth, then the spelling was changed to Plymouth. Think "Plymouth Rock".

According to tour guide Tina in the film Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, the Alamo lacks which of the following features?

I'm going with A: Basement, but I'm tempted by public restroom. Can you picture Davy Crockett needing a quarter?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 02:41 PM by citytrader »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 13, 2019, 08:17 PM »
Quote: "Think "Plymouth Rock"."

Shoulda went with my gut instinct, but it sounded too obvious, like a red herring.

Pee-Wee Herman and the Alamo: Again, my initial hunch was  A: Basement. Seems like forts/buildings back in the day (and in that part of the country) probably didn't have basements... although, it would come in handy for munitions and food storage. But that's what I'm going with.

« Reply #357 on: November 17, 2019, 07:07 AM »
According to the National Turkey Federation, approximately how many turkeys are consumed in the U.S. on Thanksgiving day?

A. About 46 million
B. About 74 million
C. Over 100 million
D. Over 200 million

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 17, 2019, 06:39 PM »
Turkey: Hmm, with over 300 million people, and most of those people eating T-day dinner together as families- *does the math: 300 million divided by say, 6, carry the 2, subtract the ham*... I'll say  B. About 74 million.

« Reply #359 on: November 18, 2019, 02:21 PM »