Catwalk help

• 5 replies

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Catwalk help
« on: October 24, 2018, 06:53 PM »
Is there anyway to create dual catwalks in planet coaster? Or...any way to turn off coaster to coaster collision so I could put a fake coaster going down through the tracks to create a dual catwalk? I've googled this and could not find an answer. It irks me that only one side of my coaster has a catwalk, and really messes up my realism. Anything will help, or just a steam workshop item even, thanks!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Catwalk help
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 07:56 PM »
As it stands now, catwalks are either on or off.  If they're on, you stuck with what PC gives you.  Woodies and hybrids have catwalks on both sides of the track (and most folks build them with catwalks all the way along the track because many real coasters look that way), everything else seems to have catwalks on the right side (which is annoying as most real rides seem to have them on the left).  So, if you don't like what PC gives you, you have to make your own.

It's quite possible to disable collisions (it's in the Settings/Game options) so you can put track anywhere you want relative to other track.  Except for 1 thing:  paths.  Track can cross existing paths at any altitude but paths can't cross existing tracks except with at least a 4m clearance above or below.  AND, this includes putting entrances/exits on coaster stations.  If you build the track with collisions turned off and have it skimming the station, you might not ever be able to put an entrance/exit there unless you have at least 4m between the bottom of the track and where you want to put the gate and path/queue.

Building your own catwalks over any distance is a chore due to having to line every part up just so despite their fixed sizes, and it requires an assload of parts.  If you have collisions off, nothing will stop you from putting parts wherever you want relative to the track.  Just remember that parts within 4m above the heads of peeps on the coaster (taking bank angle into account) will increase the ride's fear rating slightly.  Which you want to keep no higher than 4.0 for adult/teen coasters and no higher than 3.5 for family-friendly coasters.

Which coaster are you trying to replicate?  A picture might suggest more specific answers.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 09:28 PM »
As it stands now, catwalks are either on or off.  If they're on, you stuck with what PC gives you.  Woodies and hybrids have catwalks on both sides of the track (and most folks build them with catwalks all the way along the track because many real coasters look that way), everything else seems to have catwalks on the right side (which is annoying as most real rides seem to have them on the left).  So, if you don't like what PC gives you, you have to make your own.

It's quite possible to disable collisions (it's in the Settings/Game options) so you can put track anywhere you want relative to other track.  Except for 1 thing:  paths.  Track can cross existing paths at any altitude but paths can't cross existing tracks except with at least a 4m clearance above or below.  AND, this includes putting entrances/exits on coaster stations.  If you build the track with collisions turned off and have it skimming the station, you might not ever be able to put an entrance/exit there unless you have at least 4m between the bottom of the track and where you want to put the gate and path/queue.

Building your own catwalks over any distance is a chore due to having to line every part up just so despite their fixed sizes, and it requires an assload of parts.  If you have collisions off, nothing will stop you from putting parts wherever you want relative to the track.  Just remember that parts within 4m above the heads of peeps on the coaster (taking bank angle into account) will increase the ride's fear rating slightly.  Which you want to keep no higher than 4.0 for adult/teen coasters and no higher than 3.5 for family-friendly coasters.

Which coaster are you trying to replicate?  A picture might suggest more specific answers.

Really anything with dual catwalks. Specifically right now I'm doing an Arrow looper, but for example a ride like the defunct Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great Adventure, or just any ride with dual catwalks like Bizarro at the same park, or Nitro at the same park. Most rides built before the mid 2000's seem to have dual catwalks, but unfortunately like you said the game only allows the right side catwalk, which is annoying for me trying to build a ride in the "70's".

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 10:46 PM »
Build another coaster starting near the top of the lift and build track going down the lift (with catwalks on) then delete the station and any extra track. The alignment will be tricky but it can be done.

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Build another coaster starting near the top of the lift and build track going down the lift (with catwalks on) then delete the station and any extra track. The alignment will be tricky but it can be done.

Thanks! I tried this, and you weren't kidding it was ridiculously tricky. I figured I could do this I just couldn't figure out how but then I realized I was placing the station too close to the other track. Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 08:23 PM »
Haha, yep that will do it. :P I did this for a realistic brake run for just a short bit and it drove me insane. But that result though. 0.o

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park