Australian Adventure
« on: October 26, 2018, 06:13 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm Mark, you may remember me from such projects as

Ocean World:
https://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,19602.msg445508.html

and Hydra Lake:
https://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,19609.msg443664.html#msg443664

Anyways, long story short, I lost access to a PC for about a year and a half, and now I have my own PC, so I'm back in business! While I would really like to finish Ocean World, I had to get a reasonably priced laptop for study and working on a big themed park is quite demanding on it.

So until I get a beast of a desktop, I've started Australian Adventure, which will be a low - moderately themed park. I don't have an exact vision for it other than it will be based in Australia and will typically have older/newer rides and areas. It will also have some experiences based on Australian culture etc.

So onto some first pictures... this is Turbo, an intamin accelerator in the newer section of the park (It really just came from me mucking around before I had the concept for the park).

And a video! Sorry about the upload quality... this is my first youtube and have to figure out how to make it a bit better! It looks ok in the HD settings.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Adventure
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 08:24 AM »
Welcome back!  I remember Hydra Lake well and am glad to see you doing more stuff.

The coaster is quite fun.  That launch is a real kick in the pants :).

As to YouTube quality, it looks fine on my end.  But if you want to tweak things, first you have to understand that to look their best on YouTube, your files have to have certain attributes, which means your editor has to be set to make such files in the production step.  And this works best if you record the video that way to begin with; otherwise, your editor will have to change the video's attributes in the production step and this usually ruins quality.

The good thing is, most editors have a 1-click option in the production screen to optimize everything for YouTube without you having to tweak each setting manually.  So really, the important thing is to tweak the settings of your recording software to give the initial recordings the attributes YouTube likes, so nothing gets lost in translation when you produce the final uploadable file with the editor.

The main thing here is the recording resolution.  Make sure it matches whatever your monitor's resolution is, and that's is NOT interlaced.  For example, my monitor is 1080p (1920x1080) and I record at 30fps.  Any higher fps causes lag in the game while recording and makes the final file too big to upload in a reasonable time. 
But that's kinda specific to my computer and bandwidth situation.  You might have a bigger monitor, more computer horsepower, or more bandwidth, so might want to go higher and fast.  Still, IMHO, anything over 1080p is wasted on most monitors, let alone laptops and tablets.

So then you do your editing and produce the final video.  When producing, you want MP4 with H.264 codec.  You don't have to produce at the same resolution as you record--I typically produce 720p from my 1080p recordings and they look fine to me.  This is again due to my crappy bandwith--1080p just takes too long to upload for me.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Great to see you back and working on a new project. Great job on the new coaster as well. I look forward to seeing what's next for Australian Adventure.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline MARK

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:13 PM »
Thanks so much Bullethead! And thanks heaps for the tips too... I'll keep them as I look further into creating videos.

And thanks Shyguy! Looking forward to contributing to the community again project-wise.

As always I am from one thing to another in my park and I have been working on an area which I am calling Australia Fair. It's a light-hearted celebration of Australia and it's culture.

The AUS is whimsically based on Australia's non-existent Space Program and holds optimistic hope for the future.

Wrapping around it is Snowy River Rafting. It pay's homage to the now defunct Wonderland Sydney's Snowy River Rampage Raft ride.

The Snowy River is in the Snowy Mountains... Australia's highest mountain range.

Next up is The Great Australian Scream Machine.

I imagine the park saw the Great American Scream Machines in the late 80s/early 90s and wanted to have one for themselves, albeit a smaller version.

The track colours are Australia's national colours, green and gold, and the cars have the flag colours of red, blue and white with a metallic gold shell.

Nearby and flanking the entrance is The Bee Sting. A kiddie wooden coaster named after the dreaded moment of stepping on a bee whilst running through the sprinkler under the Australian summer sun.

POV videos coming!

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 09:27 PM »
I like the layout of your wooden coaster. It may not be the highest or the fastest, but it looks like a fun ride with a lot of twists and turns and air-time bunny hops.

The Bee Sting. A kiddie wooden coaster named after the dreaded moment of stepping on a bee whilst running through the sprinkler under the Australian summer sun.

Sounds pretty specific. Is this from personal experience? ;)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 02:42 PM »
I like the Scream Machine and the wooden coaster a lot ;).  Especially because the latter has such a low hill.  That's not an easy thing to pull off and the layout is nice and compact.  You should upload it as a blueprint.

I think you've got a bit too many rafts on the river rapids, though.  The minimum unload/reload time for this ride is like 15 seconds so if you have rafts arriving at the station quicker than that, they just back up and ruin everybody's enjoyment as they sit in line to unload.  I estimate by eyeball that your track length can only support 4 or 5 rafts and still have a smooth flow with no waiting.  But you'll have to determine that with real live peeps, not test dummies.  In test mode, the in-station time is ALWAYS way shorter than it is with live peeps so never base your number of vehicles on test mode.  Always use real peeps.  Save the track as a blueprint, put it in an otherwise empty park, and open it.  Then tweak the number of rafts and the various in-station variables until you have 1 raft entering the station only a few seconds after the previous raft leaves.

I also suggest shortening the ride's queue.  Any queue more than about 15 minutes causes problems.  Even when utterly, blissfully happy, peeps tend to leave the park after about 2.5 hours at most.  So if they spend more than 15 minutes in a queue, they won't spend much money before they leave.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline MARK

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys!

JB... haha ayup. Yeah I know it's a specific concept for a wooden coaster but I'm hoping it'll make sense!

Bullethead... I'm seeing these rides as real-world rides which usually have around 20 rafts. I'll probably open the park to peeps after I finish the park and tweak it all then!

I've introduced a small area called Brumby Junction which is a western/frontier section of the park. I don't want a huge western type area but this should be a nice connecting area.

I have added some covers to the station and queue, and some more landscaping.

I added some pumps to the top of the lift hill and a reservoir at the bottom of the run.

A lookout also added at the top of the lift hill.

More landscaping added.

And in the background is a large woodie called Stallion.

The coaster stands at about 150 ft tall and broke world records at the time it opened.

This is the junction area itself.

Eureka Stockade is a Himalaya named after the historical events that occurred in the state of Victoria. 

An overview of the additions.

A few new family rides added to the Australia Fair area. The eating area with the benches/umbrella will be a cornershop/takeaway which is generally a staple in Australian towns. They usually serve fish and chips.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 07:24 AM »
looks great - I just love the way river raft layouts look in this game

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Looking fun! I see many attractions that will be popular among guests (just about all of them). Well done!

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 03:34 PM »
Amazing how much more interesting it looks by adding a few rocks and plants. :)  I like how the Himalaya goes into the stockade.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 07:06 PM »
Looking good, Mark!  The tastefully arranged shrubbery really makes it look like a real place.  And I'd very much like to ride that wooden coaster ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline MARK

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 07:28 AM »
Hey guys! Thanks again for the lovely comments!

Today I'll share the fourth and fifth 'big' coasters for the park, in an area that will be called The Beach, themed to Australia's coastal life and culture.

The first of the two is a suspended swinging coaster called Hang Ten, and was added to the park in the 80s, and was the park's biggest coaster when it opened. It was and still is a big hit with guests.

The park's most recent project is Great White, which is a custom Mack Watercoaster with a unique double splashdown.

And to finish with, a look at progress on Brumby Junction.

Offline MARK

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 05:59 AM »
Hi guys, just been working on stations and details this week!

Start with Great White...

Because the entry points into the water for these coasters are rubbish, I had to make my own splash downs, so I have added triggered splashes.

I also added waterfalls to the cave structure.

I also experimented with creating the illusion of real rapids on the rapids ride... I used the 'waterfall top' object and I think it doesn't look too bad. Better than nothing.

The AUS has received a queue and mild theming.

On the side of the building is my Australian version of the NASA logo.  :up:

Next is The Great Australian Scream Machine's station and queue.

There are some great views of the corkscrew elements while you are waiting for your ride.

Supports have also been added to the corkscrews.

Overview.

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 06:36 AM »
I'm enjoying this a lot. The concept of a major theme park in Australia is cool as I can only think of one in the whole country and I can't even remember the name (Dreamland I think? I don't feel like googling it lol). Nice work so far! I enjoy Great White a lot :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 08:37 PM »
This place is really starting to come alive now.  Very nice!  And great idea with the waterfall SFX things!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline MARK

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 06:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Just some images showing the dueling possibilities of Great White... Planet Coaster obviously doesn't have the capacity to make it duel all the time, but at random times they line up well.

Also added more theming and forgot that we now have shark animatronics so I had to put one in... although in this case it's static. The park may have splashed out on the theming for their newest coaster, but they still have a budget!

Ruined jetty to suggest the Great White has been up to no good.

More trees and rocks have been added to the queue.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 07:26 PM »
I love all the themeing of the Great White. It's my favorite ride in the park so far.

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 01:54 AM »
Great park. It kinda feels a bit like a rct 3 park, it's great to see a park sometimes and get reminded of the old days.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 06:22 AM »
...Planet Coaster obviously doesn't have the capacity to make it duel all the time, but at random times they line up well.

I've never messed with the water coaster but I do know that with other types it's quite possible to make quasi-Möbius coasters (1 station, 2 laps) that race/duel consistently.  I documented my research into QMCs in this thread.  I recommend the last post especially as I changed some of my opinions as the thread went along, but I think some of my earlier thoughts are still useful in certain situations.

However, if you look at that stuff, AND IF it might work with a water coaster, I'd still advise against rebuilding Great White.  It looks awesome as-is and you're happy with it ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline MARK

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 07:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

And Bullethead... yeah I think it might cause more grief than I am prepared to go through but it would have been cool to see! But I will keep that in mind for future possible coasters!

So I've been pretty busy with work this week so I've just been working on The Beach area of the park and connecting the pathways throughout the park for a completed layout.

Venturer will have a basic look as it's an older ride when the park had less of a budget.

However next door Amplitude has a neon wave as a backdrop.

Next door is a new kiddie coaster, however I have not figured out a name for it yet.

A few more flats and a kiddie log flume.

Hang Ten has also received a station makeover. It's previous station was dreary, with flaking all white paint, so the park got some designers in to give it a new look.

Surfboard motifs line the front, and the lettering that ascends the lift has been given a bolder colour scheme as well.

Overview of the area.

And just an overview of the pathway layout.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 04:50 AM »
This park is really coming along!  The rides are all fantastic and you've done some really creative things decorating the stations.  I LOVE the work on Hang Ten's station and Eureka Stockade looks fantastic!  Wow!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2018, 07:09 AM »
This park is growing fast.  I really like how it's shaping up.

My favorite new thing is that neon wave backdrop.  Put some colored lights hooked to a display sequencer on that and you could make it appear to be animated.  I can already see it ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline MARK

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Hi guys, thanks again for the feedback.

Starting to flesh out the park with buildings now!

This area is still part of the entry/hub area of the park, and has a historic/heritage feel.

This is because two of the buildings are actually heritage!

The Teahouse has been at Australian Adventure before it was even a gated themepark. It used to be free parklands with the Teahouse and lake part of the original property. The Teahouse and surrounding buildings are typical of colonial Australian architecture, particularly in rural locations. Yellowish sandstone with prominent verandas and awnings and corrugated iron roofs.

Entrance plaza to The Beach with a new merch shop. The Teahouse is also a working restaurant thanks to the modules... it's good for a person like me who isn't that interested in fitting out a whole restaurant but doesn't want an inanimate building.

Station for the kids coaster.

And a gelato and icecream shop.

Overview.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 12:50 PM »
That teahouse could be in Louisiana.  Very realistic.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline MARK

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Just some more additions to the park.

I have developed the Turbo area.

Station and queue.

New very large sign lol. At 300 ft, this was Australia's first giga coaster and the park wanted to go big or go home!

Road signs to add to the experience.

The overbanked turn has also received modification and enlarged to reduce the Gs experienced.

More road signs attached to the supports to also give the sense of near misses.

Overview.

The coaster also has a night time starting light package.

Also starting to try and add some 'show' seating areas.

An unfinished stage area.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:28 PM by MARK »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 03:33 PM »
That little show area is quite nicely done but that Turbo... WOW :)  Love the theming and especially the lighting!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline MARK

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 06:55 PM »
Cheers Bullethead!

Just chipping away at some more buildings...

This restaurant is called The Beach House.

It serves light cafe type meals

The restaurant also has some food outlets adjoining it's kitchen so people can grab some fast food and sit outside.

Station for the small log flume.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2018, 10:01 PM »
The Beach House looks very enticing. Love the colors and the landscaping around it.

Offline MARK

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 05:03 PM »
Thanks Shyguy!

Really starting to fill this side of the park out now.

First is the kid's zone of The Beach area.

Some landscaping around the Jolly Buckets.

A Sugary Emporium.

And I'm not one to use many workshop items, but when it comes to creating my own sideshows I'd much rather someone else do the work lol. So I've used Pikagaz74's sideshows and also a playground by Geekism that just fit in too well.

Over toward Hang Ten.

Hang Ten has it's own photo and merch shop.

Some great shirts from the Thememaker's Toolkit by -::R3DMyst::-×. The gift shop shelves are by _mister_MR_... details that I'm also happy for someone else to execute well.

Sunrise Splashdown.

And this is a new minor area called Hinterland Reserve. (In Eastern Australia a long stretch of mountains parallel the coast and are often close to it, so you have the beaches, flat land with towns, and then the hinterlands, which are the mountains behind.)

This can also be reserved to cater for large tourist groups etc.

This area was a bit of a dead spot so I put some more sideshows in, again by Pikagaz74 and Geekism.

Turbo's queue now has a canopy, which was made by Flavorboi.

Turbo's photo/merch shop

Skydiver's queue has also received a shelter.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 09:51 AM »
This place is really blossoming and starting to feel like a real place.  I like the overall look of it :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page