The Nutcracker and the Four Realms by Wagi

• 10 replies

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms by Wagi
« on: October 28, 2018, 06:54 AM »
(I decided to move this overly long post from the 'what did you just do in Planet Coaster' thread to it's own...)

Just a quick glimpse at a new park I've been working on while I've been taking a break from my Neverland project.  I saw a series of artwork for a new movie coming out, and have been working on an attempt at transforming the artwork into a park.  I'd note that the artwork came out before the trailers, so there's some differences.  I'd also like to make clear that this project relies on a huge amount of work by others from the Workshop, some of which I tweaked to varying degrees, some of which I pretty much deconstructed and kit-bashed into something different.  For that reason this bench likely won't be released but just appear in screenshots and videos.  If you see something you made...thank you!  I'll credit everyone's works a little later...

So here's the first peak of a small bit of "The Nutcracker and the Four Realms", a WIP...

'The Nutcracker and the Four Realms' is a retelling of the Nutcracker story, it will be in theaters in the States before Christmas... 

The central palace is centered on a wide waterfall (it reminds me of the city in the Dinotopia books, another idea I'd love to some day turn into a park...).  And sticking with the original theme from the ballet there's a really strong Russian influence.  Obviously the palace is based on parts of the Kremlin...

You can compare that to my version, which, as usual, ends up being MUCH bigger.  LOL! 

The Four Realms include the Land of Snowflakes - an icy land on the other side of a glacier.  Here I changed to a St Petersburg in winter theme combined with some Snow Queen fantasy...strangely it seems to work!

The Land of Sweets - a village with candy and gingerbread (although I've toned my version down quite a bit...)...

The Land of Flowers - windmills and farmland with a LOT of flowers...

And finally - The Fourth Realm.  A dark fairground ruled over by the sinister Mother Ginger.   It was this artwork that really pushed the idea of a park based on this story...

And a map of the Realms. 

I was selective in what I recreated, this is an overhead view from awhile ago...

The bench also has the manor where Clara goes to celebrate Christmas and starts out on her journey to the Four Realms.  I based my version on a photo from the films trailer. 

(No, I didn't make the structure, it's a Workshop item, I cloned it and then the two copies were rotated, tweaked and attached together)...

Please remember...much of what's in this park is the work of others who were kind enough to share...I just had the pleasure of using their work to try to create my vision, they did all the hard work already!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms by Wagi
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 08:17 AM »
Pure M A G I C

Offline Beyondyou

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 09:06 AM »
WOW! Looking great! Very ambitious project

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 10:55 AM »
The screenshots are stunning. I love this project already and look forward to seeing more.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Wow. This looks absolutely incredible. I cannot wait to see what other tricks you have up your sleeve to make this one come alive.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 12:04 PM »
I doubt you got those perfectly landscaped waterfalls from the Workshop.  You have talent and you'll just have to face it.

Beautiful stuff Wagi.  Enjoy your trip, I'll be waiting not patiently for more when you get back.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 02:14 PM »
I doubt you got those perfectly landscaped waterfalls from the Workshop.  You have talent and you'll just have to face it.

Beautiful stuff Wagi.  Enjoy your trip, I'll be waiting not patiently for more when you get back.

LOL!  That's actually a combination of waterfalls from three different people from the Workshop  :D 

One was just the water, one had some rockwork and the other also had foliage that I removed, I just placed them trying to avoid repetition and terra-formed around them, and added/tweaked stuff like the splashes.  The entire arc of waterfalls isn't totally finished yet.

I actually spend quite a bit of time looking through the Workshop gathering stuff I think I might use.  I'll take a look in game, some of it I can't because the scale is different than what I'm going for, or they aren't quite right.  Unfortunately one drawback is that I too often find too many things that I like and that work, hence my tendency to 'go large' even here.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, I'll 'try' to have a good time on our trip!

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Wow! This is going to be really impressive and I am excited to see what you have in store for this project.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 05:15 AM »
really good. I was thinking I wanted to see this movie, but we can live and walk through the movie in this park.

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Wow, Wagi, that's gorgeous!  I must say, however, that I'd have hated to have been the project manager in charge of building that castle in the midst of a raging torrent.  Seems like a huge diversion dam would have been required to allow trucking materials to the site and then it would have been a coin-toss as to whether the castle would have stayed there or washed away once the diversion dam was removed to restore the flow :D.

The gate to the 4th Realm looks like nightmare-Napolean to me.  Should we expect this to be the birthplace of the 1812 opera? :D

-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 12:53 PM »
As always, you astonish me! Just absolutely beautiful work here.