Around the World in 80 Days

• 9 replies

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Ugliest Man Alive
    • View Profile
Around the World in 80 Days
« on: November 16, 2018, 12:45 AM »
Hello Lovely Peeps :D Since the World's Fair Pack is out, i was toying with the Idea to have a Park Themed after Jules Verne's Story: Around the World in 80 Days

Basically you experience the Journey of Phileas Fogg around the World (duh)
I don't have any Name for that Park yet, but i started out with the Arabic Area first.

I am struggling with a proper Desert and Dune look. I definately don't want natural Paths everywhere, because that would be unrealistic.

This is what i got so far:

Keep in mind that i need to fill the gaps with stuff more, so it doesn't look so empty.

Can you give me some tips how to make it look more Deserty, without the overuse of natural Paths, and overall look?

I experiemented a bit with hills and the Sand textures, but Dunes have a very distinct look that you can't really get with the textures and the terrain tool. Or i am just too inept to do it. But maybe there is a way?

Offline CoasterCad

• Imagining since 1987
    • View Profile
Re: Around the World in 80 Days
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 01:54 AM »
Great to see you here, Crowdpleaser. Those buildings are really good. A great idea for a project. Here are some tips how i think a village would be more deserty. I would start by making the buildings a deserty color. So really lightbrown and lots of blurred colors. The color palette you are using now seems a bit bright and looks a bit tropical to me as well. (the lightbrown color of the building in the 6th picture is a really great deserty color. I would personally blend in the brown a bit more). I've never tried a desert before. but you'd probably need to go with a mixture of two sand textures to make proper dunes, but it should be possible (because anything is in PC  :D).
Let your imagination take you to take great places.

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Ugliest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 02:47 AM »
Heyyy :D Thanks Coastercad :D Yes, i'll definately try that out  :D

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 12:03 PM »
Howdy CP....

Just throwing this out, but in the book at least, Phineas Fogg didn't cross the desert.  He was on ships all the way from Brindisi, Italy to Bombay (Mumbai), India, via the Suez Canal.  I think he only set foot ashore to change ships at Port Said and Suez, at the ends of the canal.

So, if you're sticking with the book, it would be more accurate to style the buildings like those in Port Said or Suez, which are bustling seaport cities, not the stereotypical small oasis villages.  So maybe put the buildings closer together and/or make them bigger, with more stories, and reduce the number of trees.  I agree with CoasterCad, though, they the buildings should be a lighter color.  From looking at pics of these cities online, most are a light tan or light yellow, although some are white.

As for terrain, it's pretty flat and boring there I'm afraid, with few if any dunes along the canal.  These days, the western bank is nearly all irrigated farmland so is green but in period pics, it appears to have been just flat sand with a ditch through it, and only a thin row of low, scraggly bushes along the edges of the water.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 04:51 AM »
Beautiful work so far!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:36 AM »
great looking themed area

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Amazing idea! Also looking good. Have to be honest: I wanted to create a sidepark with Jules Verne as inspiration, but couldnt do it better (so Im not going to do it). All kudos to you!

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Great stuff buddy. Some of these buildings are stunning. I want Mooooar!

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Ugliest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 11:06 PM »
Howdy CP....

Just throwing this out, but in the book at least, Phineas Fogg didn't cross the desert.  He was on ships all the way from Brindisi, Italy to Bombay (Mumbai), India, via the Suez Canal.  I think he only set foot ashore to change ships at Port Said and Suez, at the ends of the canal.

So, if you're sticking with the book, it would be more accurate to style the buildings like those in Port Said or Suez, which are bustling seaport cities, not the stereotypical small oasis villages.  So maybe put the buildings closer together and/or make them bigger, with more stories, and reduce the number of trees.  I agree with CoasterCad, though, they the buildings should be a lighter color.  From looking at pics of these cities online, most are a light tan or light yellow, although some are white.

As for terrain, it's pretty flat and boring there I'm afraid, with few if any dunes along the canal.  These days, the western bank is nearly all irrigated farmland so is green but in period pics, it appears to have been just flat sand with a ditch through it, and only a thin row of low, scraggly bushes along the edges of the water.

Thank you :D And no, i am not sticking to the Book. I do this to give me more Freedom in what i want to do.

Also, every Area will have something mythical/fantastical that fits to that place too. A bit like Jules Verne did with his Books. For example in the Arabic Area Guests will discover Ubar - Iram of the Pillars. So it is absolutely not true to the Book on that Level.

The Basic Idea will still be the same though, although the Places are not accurate :D

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Ugliest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 11:12 PM »
Amazing idea! Also looking good. Have to be honest: I wanted to create a sidepark with Jules Verne as inspiration, but couldnt do it better (so Im not going to do it). All kudos to you!

First of all, i don't believe you ;) Even if it were true, this shouldn't keep you from doing it. I feel the same a lot when i see something i had on my List what i wanted to do, and they just knocked it out of the Park. And i sit there thinking, well there is no Point anymore. On the other Hand as Nemmie has pointed out to me, you can still make it your own. Put your own spin on it. So i would say go for it anyway :D