Der fliegende Holländer (the flying Dutchman) Rapids [WIP]

• 3 replies

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Ugliest Man Alive
    • View Profile
Der fliegende Holländer (the flying Dutchman) Rapids [WIP]
« on: November 17, 2018, 12:07 AM »
Alright... i must be a crazy person. I can't help myself starting Projects and let them lie dorment when i hit a creative wall. But it will still nag me forever if i don't finish them.

At the moment i have a few things on my plate i need to finish: The Back to the Future Town Square (2015 version), A Tower of Terror Style Attraction, Tentifu Park (according to Nemmie at least) and this Puppy.

Now, this must be one of my oldest unfinished projects, because i started it right after i got home from the very first Coaster Head Club meeting in Efteling.

We didn't have the Cascade back then so i decided to not make a Recreation but a Homage.

And to put the Naming confusion to rest, yes i know the original Story is Dutch and it is called "de vliegende Hollander" but since i am making my own Version i can call it whatever i want :D

Anyhoo... I didn't get very far because of #Reasons, but i had a very clear idea what the Station and the Queue should look like. and this is what i am going to share with you now. (Because posting this here, gives me an incentive to finish it)

So i started out with building the Station, since this was the most clear Picture i had in my head:

I continued with building the Queue, and later on when the various DLCs were released i revisited them and added Details.

Now the first Section of the Ride was always clear too. It had to be a Darkride Section. And with what i wanted, it had to be a big sized Room, because it had to include two wrecked Ships, Rocks and as a background the open Ocean with choppy water.

At that point i still had to figure out what to do with the Background. In the End i decided i get some Video off Youtube and chop it down so the File size is reasonable. After all, it would only run for a few seconds before you exited the first Scene.

I tried to make it seamless from every point of View, but since the Rapids don't use Physics and the Rotation is always the same i can reliably test the looks from the same seat every time.

And yes i am cheap and included the real projection of the Flying Dutchman Ride in Efteling.

The Parts after that first Minute of Ride is pretty much nonexistent. Yes the Track is layed out, but i am kinda flailing around how to continue from this Point. What is worse is that the Showbuilding is so gigantic it is a real pain to Theme. This too is what held me back from finishing it in over a year.

I hope though now that i can finally tackle the rest of the Ride and maybe it will turn out decent :D

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Der fliegende Holländer (the flying Dutchman) Rapids [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Well, you're off to a good start.  But if the rapids is causing problems with doing the decorations, why not switch to the water coaster?  Of course, for some stupid reason, kids can't ride that, but it might make it easier to build the decor.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 03:27 PM »
What you have so far, looks great. :up:  The pre-show queue, the station, the ride (so far)- It all comes together and tells a clear story.

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Ugliest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 09:30 PM »
Thank you guys very much :D

@Bullethead It is not the Ride Type that gives me trouble. I would have the same size issue with the Cascade, since i wanted a first big Scene that sets the Mood for the Ride. And since the Queue, the Station and the first Show Room are in the same Building, it makes for a massive Structure. And my problem is only that it is pretty high too. So i need to come up with something clever here. Since the Ride will exceed the 4k Piece Limit (i keep doing this) i could maybe hide a lot of it with Terrain sculpting. Which i might have to do.

But yes... sorry for my waffling :D