San Diego Zoo - Slender-Tailed Meerkat

• 2 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
San Diego Zoo - Slender-Tailed Meerkat
« on: November 17, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Slender-Tailed Meerkat

At the outskirts of the Kopje area is one of the zoo's most beloved animals...the meerkats.

The enclosure provides the meerkats ample space and opportunity to do what they love to do best...dig!

This is a Slender-tailed Meerkat, from southwest Africa. Meerkats are small carnivores and are members of the mongoose family.

The meerkats can usually be found doing one of three activities. Digging holes and tunnels is what they spend the majority of the time doing.

There are nearly 100 holes in the enclosure, many leading to underground tunnels and burrows. Every few months, keepers remove the meerkats from the enclosure and collapse all the tunnels. Then the meerkats happily begin the process all over again.

The second activity you're likely to see is "sentry duty".

There is usually at least one meerkat acting as sentry, scouring the area for predators, or perhaps unruly children.

Another great spot for sentry duty.

Their third favorite activity... just chillin'.

Occasionally, the whole clan will catch scent of something or hear a noise and all stop in their tracks to check it out. While watching these antics, it is clear why they are considered so adorable by so many guests. But the only thing more adorable than a meerkat is...

...a baby meerkat!

These adorable young pups (kittens?) were born early October of 2018, making them about six weeks old at the time these photos were taken.

You can just imagine the "oohs and aahs" from guests viewing these little guys.

There are a total of 10 meerkats on exhibit...8 adults and the 2 kids. Watching these animals and all their cute antics is always a highlight of any zoo visit.

Mom and baby

Who can resist those puppy dog eyes?

Where's dinner??

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:40 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Zoo - Meerkats (Warning- Adorable Photos)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 02:24 PM »
You did warn us there would be adorable photos, but did I listen? Nooooo. I think everybody would find these guys adorable... well, maybe not the Grinch... on second thought, the Grinch looks a little like a meerkat so maybe he would.

In the Mom and baby photo, Mom has that weary/tired look that all moms with a newborn seem to have. For some reason I find it hilarious that the zookeepers remove the meerkats every few months and collapse their tunnels, just so they can dig them all over again. I understand why: it keeps the meerkats busy, and busy meerkats=happy meerkats. But still...

Quote: "There is usually at least one meerkat acting as sentry, scouring the area for predators, or perhaps unruly children." Or guys with cameras; judging by how he's staring at you. :P

In the last photo (and the other, similar photo)- do you know what they were all looking at, up to the left?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Zoo - Meerkats (Warning- Adorable Photos)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 02:33 PM »
In the last photo (and the other, similar photo)- do you know what they were all looking at, up to the left?
In the above photo where they're all looking towards the left, a keeper was entering the enclosure to sweep up the dirt that they'd tossed all over the cement floor. (A daily chore)

In the other photo where they are all looking towards the right...I haven't a clue. I couldn't see anything that would grab their attention. But then I haven't had my official meerkat sentry training. :P
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot