Help with creating objects with the Thememaker's Toolkit

• 18 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Help with creating objects with the Thememaker's Toolkit
« on: November 20, 2018, 03:19 PM »
Post any questions you have or help you need in the creation of custom objects and importing them using the Thememaker's Toolkit.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 05:30 PM by shyguy »
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Rct3Guru

• Also known as DreamMaster
    • View Profile
Re: Help with creating objects with the Thememaker's Toolkit
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 07:45 PM »
I've had issues with material not showing up including flexi color. I'm not sure I understand the zip hierarchy. Anybody got an example?

Offline SHADOW

• I have gone by many names.
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 08:03 PM »
Is there an easy way in Blender to reduce polys for LOD scales.. I found something about using decimate but it says it can't apply it to my object when I try
Watch me Live on Twitch.tv or check out my videos on YouTube!  - Also can follow me on Twiter

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 12:19 AM »
Is there an easy way in Blender to reduce polys for LOD scales.. I found something about using decimate but it says it can't apply it to my object when I try

Its been a while i used blender but ill give it a try.

You are in object mode when applying the decimate?
Perhaps this link contains information you find useful:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.all3dp.com/2/blender-how-to-reduce-polygons/

Offline SHADOW

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 12:22 AM »
I figured it out. I had to change it into a mesh.. or something like that. I'm still learning Blender.  I did try to upload my first object to test.. but.. I got all sorts of errors.. so.. back to the drawing board
Watch me Live on Twitch.tv or check out my videos on YouTube!  - Also can follow me on Twiter

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 12:23 AM »
I've had issues with material not showing up including flexi color. I'm not sure I understand the zip hierarchy. Anybody got an example?

I cant help you out since ive not tried the toolkit myself yet so I'm unfamiliar with the zip part. I'll try to find information

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 10:09 AM »

Your flexi color map is just a mask that shows where on your object's base color map you want something to be recolorable, and the strength that you want that recolor to show. So if you want your whole object to be flexi-color, just create a 64x64 image that is in the range between 0% brightness and 90% brightness. A black image will have no recolorability, a 90% white image will have optimal recolorability.

Then you just make your base color map grayscale so that it can apply the color you pick in the game over that map. If it is not gray, it will not properly apply the flexicolor.

So think of it as three maps. Your base color map (which should be grayscale) looks to your flexi-color map for information about where it should be recolored, and by how much. Using that data, the game then applies a third map to this, which is a map from the color you pick in the game.

So for an object in the game to display exactly as the color you choose in the color picker, you would include two maps in your zip file. A base color map that is 100% white, and a flexicolor map that is 100% white.

For an area to be non-recolorable, you would mask that area off in your flexi color map with black. This means that those areas will have zero influence from the third mask, the color chosen in game, and essentially look exactly as the base color map.

I figured it out. I had to change it into a mesh.. or something like that. I'm still learning Blender.  I did try to upload my first object to test.. but.. I got all sorts of errors.. so.. back to the drawing board

Yes, make sure all the objects you create are meshes and not NURBS surfaces. Nurbs uses splines and control points and equations, PC needs vertices, edges, and faces where it just draws straight lines.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 10:22 AM by Grrt »

Offline SHADOW

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 03:48 PM »
SO I've gone back to blender and jsut to figure some things out and test.. I am working with a basic square.. a cube.  I set the scale to 1M in scene settings... or at least I think i did.. when I look at the size it says its 2m in x y and Z.. when I tried to uplolad to the toolkit I got this error
Model is too small [ModelTooSmall]
"Model is too small : {'ZExtent': '0.02', 'YExtent': '0.02000001', 'XExtent': '0.02'}"

How is it too small. I don't get it.. it should be 1 grid square equals 1M.. blender says its 2m... What am I doing wrong here

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 03:56 PM »
Yeah.. lots of people have been having that issue. For whatever reason the ASCII encoding of the .fbx file doesn't care about the units and does something weird. Upscale your model by 100, then adjust your Blender world units by the same amount and it should work. Changing world units evidently doesn't hard code that data into your objects.

Offline SHADOW

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 05:10 PM »
I tried that.. but must have done something really wrong it wouldn't export... so. I instead tried exporting as binary instead of Ascii.. it worked. got my first object in the game.. now i can play and test further with other stuff

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 04:28 AM »
I hope i can find time this sunday to update the game and try it out. 

I'm thinking of creating a small bush or tree

Offline SHADOW

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 03:06 PM »
OK.. Soo.. I made my 4m Log.. I'm happy with the shape.. I went in and worked on texturing some last night and today so far.  I am not extremely happy with the bark doesn't look right and feels stretched... but Finally decided to upload and test in game.. and I got no texture in game :(

Not sure what I did wrong.  I really don't want to have to flush this log.... 8|

Offline Old-Spice

• Custom Content Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 04:08 PM »
Never used blender, but it looks like the stretching issue is because the model is using the full texture on the entire length instead of tiling it.

I would move the end texture to the far right and maximize the texture space for the bark, then scale it to tile along the green axis.

Also, looks like you welded all the faces, not to be a pain, but I think it would look better if only the bark faces were welded and not the end faces.

Offline SHADOW

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Thanks Old SPice.. I wish I knew how to fix what you said.. I just cut seams and made a UV map, then went into photoshop. I honestly don't know how to make it tile..

Offline zyned

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • www.zyned.nl
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 11:46 AM »
Does anyone know if animated textures are possible with Blender and the toolkit?
In the 'Thememaker's Toolkit Deep Dive!' stream, they used the animated fairy lights as an example of emissive textures. I would like to create that sort of effect.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 05:39 PM »
Does anyone know if animated textures are possible with Blender and the toolkit?
In the 'Thememaker's Toolkit Deep Dive!' stream, they used the animated fairy lights as an example of emissive textures. I would like to create that sort of effect.

That's WAY over my head, I'm afraid.  But in skimming through the official guide a while back, I did come across the mention of emissive stuff, that glows in the dark but doesn't cast light on its surroundings.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline zyned

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • www.zyned.nl
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 11:21 PM »
That's WAY over my head, I'm afraid.  But in skimming through the official guide a while back, I did come across the mention of emissive stuff, that glows in the dark but doesn't cast light on its surroundings.

yes, you are right about that. The fairy lights have sort of a flash effect. That's done with animated textures. Not sure if we are able to do this with the toolkit.

guest17302

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 12:18 AM »
yes, you are right about that. The fairy lights have sort of a flash effect. That's done with animated textures. Not sure if we are able to do this with the toolkit.
Can we chat now?

Offline brunoahee

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 03:38 AM »
Hello I would like to know why my object shines like that? I only have a BC texture on it. thanks in advance

https://ibb.co/hmqm7Rf

https://ibb.co/km1KDcc
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 03:40 AM by brunoahee »