The Blender Noob Thread

• 8 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
The Blender Noob Thread
« on: November 24, 2018, 09:38 PM »
I expect most beginner modelers who want to try their hand at creating objects with the Thememaker's Toolkit, are going to use Blender. Maya and 3DS Max cost thousands of dollars. Blender is free. But Blender is not easy to use. Any beginner is going to have a LOT of questions. So this thread is for asking for help using Blender as well as what exactly you need to do to create 3D objects you can import into Planet Coaster. Hopefully members more experienced with Blender will read this thread and offer their help.

So I'll ask the first question.

What are the best tutorials to use if you are just starting out with Blender and haven't got a clue where to begin? Links would be greatly appreciated. ;)

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: The Blender Noob Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 10:01 PM »
I watched and learned alot from blender guru and his beginner tutorials

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JYj6e-72RDs

Also 2 planets colliding from tutor4u was fun. It was my first blender tutorial I tried:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=epyqHzoCxa0

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 03:11 AM »
These are fantastic tutorials. Thank you very much!

Offline zyned

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • www.zyned.nl
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 10:30 AM »
I am not sure if this fits in this topic. But yesterday I found this tutorial at Reddit. It explains how to make your model ready for exporting from Blender to the toolkit. It also explains how to create your LOD's and your hitcheck.
For me personally, this was a very helpful tutorial. It even got me importing my first custom item to the game :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqbsLtFxglk

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 10:41 AM »
^That video will be VERY helpful.

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Ugliest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 10:46 PM »
The thing that confused me after starting to learn how to use Blender is that the TMT is handling the Materials and Textures completely differently than you are used to in Blender.

The Materials actually don't matter in Blender, you just have to add a Material and Name it something, and after that give an image file the same name as the Material plus the _xx (the xx stands for one of the Material Types)

That was a bit confusing at first, but a big AHA moment for me.

LucasUp adresses this in his Tutorial, but i hope he will go into detail about that in the Future :D The more People actually know how to do it, the better :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:19 PM by Crowdpleaser »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 11:08 PM »
The Materials actually don't matter in Blender, you just have to add a Material and Name it something, and after that give an image file the same name as the Material plus the _xx (the xx stands for one of the Material Types)

Yeah, I was the same way.  But upon thinking about it, I figure all the funky nodes and whatnot with materials in Blender is just for rendering scenes to make 2D pics, so is probably unique to Blender and is not included in standardized file formats like fbx.  Which is something of a bummer because I find it much easier to play with the nodes in Blender than I do making all the different types of textures in a graphics editor.  Oh well, maybe I can set a material up in Blender with all this nodes, then take a screenshot and use that as the material texture for TMT :)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Ugliest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 11:29 PM »
Yeah, I was the same way.  But upon thinking about it, I figure all the funky nodes and whatnot with materials in Blender is just for rendering scenes to make 2D pics, so is probably unique to Blender and is not included in standardized file formats like fbx.  Which is something of a bummer because I find it much easier to play with the nodes in Blender than I do making all the different types of textures in a graphics editor.  Oh well, maybe I can set a material up in Blender with all this nodes, then take a screenshot and use that as the material texture for TMT :)

Yes, after painstakingly learning (trial and error) how to make a glass object in Blender i have to completely ignore all those delicious nodes, and re-learn how to do it for Planet Coaster. I am still learning how to do it properly, and hope i can produce something usable pretty soon. I am not sure yet what i will prefer though. I think being able to make the material in Blender and directly see how it looks like on the Model in real time is hugely helpful, and having to ditch that is a bit of a bummer.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:18 PM by Crowdpleaser »

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 02:07 AM »
The thing that confused me after starting to learn how to use Blender is that the TMT is handling the Materials and Textures completely differently than you are used to in Blender.

LucasUp adresses this in his Tutorial, but i hope he will go into detail about that in the Future :D The more People actually know how to do it, the better :D

Ahhhhhhh!!!! It makes so much more sense now! Thanks!