S.D. Zoo Safari Park - Lorikeet Landing

• 2 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
S.D. Zoo Safari Park - Lorikeet Landing
« on: November 25, 2018, 03:31 PM »
Lorikeet Landing

Situated on the outskirts of Nairobi Village is a large aviary, its interior modeled after the rainforests of Australia and New Guinea, the natural habitats of the Rainbow Lorikeet.

On the way in, you can purchase a cup of nectar to feed these colorful birds.

The lorikeet is among the world's most colorful birds, with feathers of almost every color of the rainbow.

Although they have been trained to overcome their natural fear of humans, you'll still need to heed caution while feeding the birds.

Rainbow Lorikeets pair for life...like these two love birds.

A lover's quarrel, perhaps?

There are plenty of informative signs throughout the exhibit.

Taking a bath.

This lorikeet's beak was injured, so keepers gave it a prosthetic beak.

Feeding the birds is a special treat for kids...and adults alike.

If you're lucky, they will perch on your hand, arm, or shoulders...or head. (Also, you'll want to keep an eye on what's above you, especially after the lorikeets have fed. ;))

Park employees are always on hand to photograph you with the birds and they'll gladly sell you those photos at the booth outside the exhibit.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: S.D. Zoo Safari Park - Lorikeet Landing
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 09:12 PM »
About the two 'love bird' photos: I'll call them Lori and Keith.

In the 'before' photo:

Lori (on the left), "Honey, did you put the fresh roll of toilet paper out in the bathroom like I asked? Fred and Ethel are coming over for nectar later, you know."
Keith (on the right), "Yes dear, and the end of the roll is hanging from underneath like you said."

In the 'after' photo:

Lori, "Underneath! Crikey, are you crazy?!!!?? I said it needs to go over the top; OVER THE TOP!!! Not under! Nobody puts it under! What are you, some kind of chunderous barbarian?... Are you listening to me?"
Keith (as Lori continues her harangue), "Oh gawd. It never ends."

Seriously though, these are the most beautiful birds I've ever seen. And you got some amazing shots of them, too.

(I hope I didn't clutter up your post too much with the Lori & Keith nonsense. It just looked like it needed some creative captioning.)

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: S.D. Zoo Safari Park - Lorikeet Landing
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 10:46 PM »
(I hope I didn't clutter up your post too much with the Lori & Keith nonsense.)
Not at all. I laugh every time at look at those two photos, and now you've made them even funnier. :D