Dragon Kingdom 2.0

• 20 replies

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Dragon Kingdom 2.0
« on: December 02, 2018, 03:44 AM »
One of my first projects in Planet Coaster was a park called Dragon Kingdom. It featured giant crappy sculptures of dragons, very bumpy oversized coasters, and buildings so ginormous they towered over mountains. But when it all came together it wasn't too bad and the memory if building it reminds how i fell in love with this awesome game. The concept of Dragon Kingdom is still one of my favorite idea's for a park i had, so i decided to honor it and make a new Dragon Kingdom very loosely based on the previous one.

I started with a prop for the park, because someone else was working on the entrance.

It's a steampunk dragon which will be part of the eventually built themed area Dragonstone Mines:

Meanwhile, Tricky Plays Games was working on this epic entrance:

Most of you probably know Tricky from the awesome stuff he built in Planet Coaster. If not, go check out his youtube channel and workshop.

The main Hub in this park will be this city. It's called Dragonburgh, it features four hotels, a train station, a harbor, a whole lot of dining options and a dark ride. The train station will take you along a scenic route to the dragonstone mines. The boats from the harbor will take you to an island, of which the theme is yet undecided (the current plan is to make a mountain and hopefully Tricky Plays Games will find the time to sculpt one more dragon on it).

Cheers,

Coastercad

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Kingdom 2.0
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 04:23 AM »
Brilliant. I love that steampunk Dragon.
I Can't wait to see a new, improved Dragon Kingdom. The first one was great, but with 2 and a half years practice playing this game plus all the new assets added to the game since then, I know this is going to be fantastic. No pressure buddy.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Damn CC, that city looks AWESOME!

Tricky is the best dirt sculptor around, IMHO.  Good job getting him on board ;)

I love that steampunk dragon!  I refer to it privately as "Steinway" because the wings remind me of the lids of grand pianos ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 01:03 PM »
Shingles out of TERRAIN?  My mind is blown.

But the steampunk piano dragon is nothing to sneeze at either.    :up:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:23 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 01:12 PM »
WHOA!  That's incredible!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Hurray. Another epic park by CoasterCad! :D
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 03:12 PM »
This looks fantastic! The dragon-on-the-roof would scare the hot cocoa out of me if I were a little kid. :P  I figured it was made using terrain sculpting (I don't have the game), and I thought the entrance house might have been done the same way but I didn't know you could get specific enough to make roof tiles like that.

I really like that Disney-esque castle centered along the main path. The shape is very Disney, but the colors (grays and browns) are a welcome change from the familiar pinks and blues. Makes it look less Fantasyland and more real-world/old Europe. :up:

Also, I'm wondering what those flying albino beavers are doing on the beaver dam.

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 03:51 AM »
Brilliant. I love that steampunk Dragon.
I Can't wait to see a new, improved Dragon Kingdom. The first one was great, but with 2 and a half years practice playing this game plus all the new assets added to the game since then, I know this is going to be fantastic. No pressure buddy.

Thank you sir. The only thing that will be worse than the first one is the framerate :P. I am trying to minimize the number of pieces, but already using more than i want to.

Damn CC, that city looks AWESOME!

Tricky is the best dirt sculptor around, IMHO.  Good job getting him on board ;)

I love that steampunk dragon!  I refer to it privately as "Steinway" because the wings remind me of the lids of grand pianos ;)

Thanks BH, Steinway sounds actually pretty good for a steampunk dragon :).

Shingles out of TERRAIN?  My mind is blown.

But the steampunk piano dragon is nothing to sneeze at either.    :up:
WHOA!  That's incredible!
Hurray. Another epic park by CoasterCad! :D

Thanks guys. :D

This looks fantastic! The dragon-on-the-roof would scare the hot cocoa out of me if I were a little kid. :P  I figured it was made using terrain sculpting (I don't have the game), and I thought the entrance house might have been done the same way but I didn't know you could get specific enough to make roof tiles like that.

I really like that Disney-esque castle centered along the main path. The shape is very Disney, but the colors (grays and browns) are a welcome change from the familiar pinks and blues. Makes it look less Fantasyland and more real-world/old Europe. :up:

Also, I'm wondering what those flying albino beavers are doing on the beaver dam.

Thanks JB, the way you are describing the castle and the city was exactly what i was aiming for, so i am very happy that vibe is coming across. The beavers are dragon/beaver hybrids, . They were bred and trained by humans in a secret magic lab to build dams where needed. The secret magical lab is also working on flying sheep and fire breathing monkey's.(although the last one might not pass some trials).

Also, about the terrain tool, if you big enough, there's really not a limit to what you can do and even roof tiles are possible. But the scale of the scultpture has to be really big.

The dark ride, that goes by the name of Dragonburgh catacombs is now being tested with some soft openings:

Cheers.

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 06:22 AM »
I had to expand that last picture, and even then I'm still trying to figure out how you did stuff.  Truly magnificent.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 02:10 PM »
Glad you think "Steinway" is a good name ;)

Anyway, the dark ride's sneak peaks look suitably impressive above and foreboding below.  Looking forward to more ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Just seeing those hillside buildings to the upper-right of the queue entrance is worth the price of admission. (I snuck in for free :P)

Hmm, I wonder what made those gaping holes in the walls of the crypt-themed queue?

Quote: "The beavers are dragon/beaver hybrids. They were bred and trained by humans in a secret magic lab to build dams where needed. The secret magical lab is also working on flying sheep and fire breathing monkey's.(although the last one might not pass some trials)."

I'll believe that when pigs fly. :D

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Thanks guys.

Glad you think "Steinway" is a good name ;)

Anyway, the dark ride's sneak peaks look suitably impressive above and foreboding below.  Looking forward to more ;)

It's indeed a very foreboding atmosphere, however it's not all wicked down there in the catacombs when events take an unexpected turn.

Just seeing those hillside buildings to the upper-right of the queue entrance is worth the price of admission. (I snuck in for free :P)

Hmm, I wonder what made those gaping holes in the walls of the crypt-themed queue?

Quote: "The beavers are dragon/beaver hybrids. They were bred and trained by humans in a secret magic lab to build dams where needed. The secret magical lab is also working on flying sheep and fire breathing monkey's.(although the last one might not pass some trials)."

I'll believe that when pigs fly. :D

You don't need to sneak in buddy, you are always welcome for free  :up:.

The thing with pigs is, they're all so fattened up, especially with christmas coming and all, they'd need the wings of a full grown dragon to fly. It's just not practical.

Today i've got some pictures of the harbor.

This is the boathouse:

I've used the ingame filters for taking this series of pics. Feel free to let me know what you prefer, with or without filters.

The harbor:

Some more pictures inside the city walls:

And some pictures of the queu of the darkride:

Cheers

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Sweet!. This looks to be huge and like a real life city. It seems like it goes on forever. The detail is magnificent.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Beautiful pictures, especially of the harbor.

And my vote is against using the filters.;)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Very impressive architectural work on a grand scale ;)  And the filters give the harbor town an appropriate light foggy condition so as art, the pics are wonderful.  However, the foggy morning tends to mask and blur some of your wonderful detail work so it might be best to do 2 pics, 1 foggy and 1 high noon on a clear day if you want folks to drool over the fine details.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 11:06 PM »
Quote:  "Cheers"

Cheers?!!! After taking us through those dark, dank, bone infested catacombs? Not very cheery. :P  Really good job on the queue. It seems to be based on the Paris catacombs? (Where they stacked all the bones of the townsfolk to make room for something or other.)

I think the filters look great for this time of day; with the sun on the horizon, especially with the harbor pictures. It definitely sets a specific kind of mood. But you can't beat the look of all those beautiful buildings gleaming in the bright sunlight against a deep blue sky.

Offline CoasterCad

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2018, 04:02 AM »
Thank you all for your wonderful replies people  :).

Thanks for your opinions guys, i will do some unfiltered screens from this update on. Maybe just post a few edited/filtered here and there throughout the thread.

Quote:  "Cheers"

Cheers?!!! After taking us through those dark, dank, bone infested catacombs? Not very cheery. :P  Really good job on the queue. It seems to be based on the Paris catacombs? (Where they stacked all the bones of the townsfolk to make room for something or other.)

I think the filters look great for this time of day; with the sun on the horizon, especially with the harbor pictures. It definitely sets a specific kind of mood. But you can't beat the look of all those beautiful buildings gleaming in the bright sunlight against a deep blue sky.

The bonestacking is indeed based on the paris catacombs.

Here's a video of the Dragonburgh Catacombs:

Cheers

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2018, 06:26 AM »
That's a brilliant ride, CC!  The happy holidays ghosttown is very clever and full of wonderfully posed vignettes.
 Plus, of course, it's a whole friggin' TOWN buried in the dark ride.  Awesome work both in quality and quantity!

Also, glad to see you killed off most of the entertainers.  Good riddance ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 11:17 AM »
That was a HUGE ride. And everything was done excellently. I loved the queue, the mysterious catacombs, and all the special effects. I never expected the Christmas theme, but you pulled it off flawlessly. That town was gorgeous, and creepy. This is your best dark ride to date.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Oh my, so much to like in this video, CoasterCad! The queue is all that I thought it would be, having seen the pics that you posted earlier (although the camera could have been a little slower so that we could get a better look at all the goodies.) I like how the lights flicker on when we enter a new area and point us toward the center of interest. The puzzle-box room opening the door to the skeletonized portion of the ride is genius. And the Christmas village! At first, it's all happy, happy, joy, joy. Then... we notice all the skeleton villagers- dancing and frolicking to the cheery, tinkley holiday music. Wonderful! Thank you for this video.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 02:41 PM »
That was one cool ride. The Skelly Christmas part was a bit random though, but I loved it. I also really liked how the queue made you feel like you were going into the bowels of the earth.
The ride seemed massive too. I'd love to see an overhead shot of the track to see how big it is and how it all fits together.