display concerns

• 7 replies

Offline The Grey

• Professional Roller Coasterer
    • View Profile
display concerns
« on: December 05, 2018, 06:53 AM »
So my new computer finally arrived last night along with this massive 34" ultrawide monitor! So question while I wait for a long enough cable to connect to the interwebs [sometime tonight], I'm messing around with rct3 and was wondering can rct3 be displayed at 2560 x 1080? or do i need to scale the screen back to 1920 x 1080?

Will upload pics of new comp and monitor tonight as well :)
If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

Offline francescoaster

• Custom Content for Everyone!
    • View Profile
Re: display concerns
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 07:33 AM »
Hi, I think it should work. But you have to force the resolution by editing the options.txt file, located in your C:\Users\[Your username]\AppData\Roaming\Atari\RCT3 folder. Just replace the resolution with your wanted one. If the file doesn't exist just open rct3 and quit it. It should be created automatically.

However I'm experiencing problems in POV mode when at 1920 x 1080, but I think it's just my video card (basically when on board the image get scaled and the apect ratio goes off). I think it's the NVidia driver (as with the older ATi card it did work fine, so I'm playing at 1440 x 1080 with side columns for now  ;D ). But I think with your PC it will work like a charm, as I don't know anyone beside me with this problem.

Just let us know if it works and let us see that new machine  :D . Cheers!

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Yeah i typed in the resolution in options.txt a lot of wonkiness is happening though, the loading screen is is offcentered half of the logo is being cut off at the top of the screen like the screen was twice as tall and only the bottom half is visible.

Sometimes he buttons scrunch up [gui] and the game flickers from black to the game back to the desktop back to the game, and it has randomly quit when switching from anti aliasing levels or even opening an older park
If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 07:54 PM »
So here are some photos, not the greatest, but yeah i am tired from trying to put my son to sleep for 4 hours now.... i digress...

This thing is wide! :o :drool:

The front of the tower.

Inside the tower

Lights out, neon on

Front

Neon

Here is the load screen, like wha??? :confused:

So here is RCT3 on the widescreen, and I have copied all of my folders from the laptop to the desktop, every last file was transferred to the tower, and yet I still have things missing, like here the track is gone for the invert, several trees are missing, the game seems to randomly crash, 25 times thus far, the last being seconds after taking this pic.

Does anyone else have these problems with transferring rct3 to a new computer? I am going to try to use 1920x1080 tomorrow and see if it stops the crashing, but i am sure it is something else with loading as anytime i open a park file from the other computer it gets wonky after it finishes loading, if it makes it past the load screen before it crashes and cuts away.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 08:23 PM »
I'm just shooting in the dark here, but did you install RCT3 onto the new computer from its original disk? Or just copied the game over from your laptop? That might make a difference. Are you using RCT3 Platinum (which comes pre-patched)? Perhaps the older versions, with all the manual patching required, could cause problems.

Also, dunno if it makes any difference but, did you manually change the game resolution in both options.txt files? The load screen looks like the aspect ratio is correct (from what we can see), it just seems to be spilling over the edges everywhere.

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:42 PM »
Both laptop and desktop were loaded via rct3 platinum disc. I just copied all files from the laptop to a hard drive then pasted everything where it went on the new computer. I completely forgot to check the other option.txt file. I'll check that out first thing in the morning and see if that works.

Offline francescoaster

• Custom Content for Everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 04:19 AM »
If it screws up the loading screens it's perfectly normal and it's to be expected at those aspect ratios. You may also notice some minor issues in the main menu screen. However ingame the gui should work right.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 06:48 PM »
Looking into this issue, I started from scratch when I swapped to this laptop in 2014. I may have transferred very few things, and now things are perfect. I might suggest some different methods to working with larger parks. Large Address Aware and religiously using the Park Cleanup Tool. Should you need any assistance, please let me know because these two things together can do wonders. Congrats on a new system, it is always nice to be able to work with updated technology.