[WIP] Hornet - Intamin Wing Coaster

• 12 replies

Offline Bylateral

• Astro
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
[WIP] Hornet - Intamin Wing Coaster
« on: December 06, 2018, 01:13 AM »
I want to preface this by saying I wanted to build something in Planet Coaster that would be more experimental, a type of coaster that you don't see many people building. There are only 2 Intamin Wing Coasters in the real world, and neither of them share common elements besides the cable lift, so I thought building an Intamin Wing would allow me to be more versatile with my layout without getting the "unrealistic" card thrown at me. I will say however, I kept it simple, there are no crazy inversions and the layout is more SkyRush inspired (not Flying Aces inspired) with some Mega-lite elements to it as well.

So far this coaster is in its bare naked status right now. Just the layout with a few other detailing things I felt like working on first. I don't think I will be giving this coaster a true theme, my idea is to make this coaster interact well with the landscape. If you're confused on its color scheme, just search "New Orleans Hornets".

Hornet is an Intamin Wing Coaster that stands 200ft tall with 4,202ft of track.

I originally wanted to make a waterfall off this cliff, but I settled with a cave instead because building a large scale waterfall in this game is terrible. I'm on the fence with the stalactites at the moment. Also, I plan on adding footers to all the supports in the water.

I added this fenced off rock pit to the only section of track that truly interacts with the pathway and queue. It looks obscure as of now but I have plans to blend it with the queue.

I built a cave here with some scaffolding and explosions on top to make it look like the mountain side is being carved out.

The last portion of the layout and the station.

An aerial view of everything.

Any feedback and questions are much appreciated!  :D

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Hornet - Intamin Wing Coaster
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:31 PM »
That's a very attractive, clean layout.  Very nice flow to it.  And that 1st drop looks intense ;)

BTW, not being a coaster geek, I'm not imprinted with "realism" so you'll not here such a complaint from me.  After all, I've proudly shown off a version of that dorky stork-looking kiddie suspended coaster with 6 full inversions, and still kept the fear way down in the family range.  I took it as a challenge when the ride's info said it "can't invert" :D.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Bylateral

• Astro
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 08:49 PM »
That's a very attractive, clean layout.  Very nice flow to it.  And that 1st drop looks intense ;)

BTW, not being a coaster geek, I'm not imprinted with "realism" so you'll not here such a complaint from me.  After all, I've proudly shown off a version of that dorky stork-looking kiddie suspended coaster with 6 full inversions, and still kept the fear way down in the family range.  I took it as a challenge when the ride's info said it "can't invert" :D.

Thank you so much, I spent hours trying to get the layout as perfect as possible. Also, you need to link me a video of that suspended coaster, I want to see that.

Offline The Grey

• Professional Roller Coasterer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 01:34 AM »
Unrealistic!!! No! Stop now, redo it to my standards, darn you!

I'll say this about Sky Rush, it looked beautiful, but i did not like the ride experience, i think you can find my full ride overview, but i digress... This looks flowing and more gracious in its behavior with better airtime hills instead of the ejector throw-you-up-tear-you-down-cut-off-thighs type of hills on SR.

Are your supports custom or in-game?

I'm a huge fan of naked/generic themed rides myself, so this one hits home in the good feels. You said new Orleans? Nba? Last i hard they were Charlotte, am i really that behind, oh wait i watch hockey lol those colors can also be Winnipeg Jets too

What are the ratings?

Future plans? Type of foliage?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:52 AM by The Grey »
If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

Offline Bylateral

• Astro
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 02:23 AM »
Unrealistic!!! No! Stop now, redo it to my standards, darn you!

I'll say this about Sky Rush, it looked beautiful, but i did not like the ride experience, i think you can find my full ride overview, but i digress... This looks flowing and mite gracious in its behavior with better airtime hills instead of the ejector throw-you-up-tear-you-down-cut-off-thighs type of hills on SR.

Are your supports custom or in-game?

I'm a huge fan of naked/generic themed rides myself, so this one hits home in the good feels. You said new Orleans? Nba? Last i hard they were Charlotte, am i really that behind, oh wait i watch hockey lol those colors can also be Winnipeg Jets too

What are the ratings?

Future plans? Type of foliage?

Haha, thank goodness Intamin has no standards other than their coasters only being able to operate 30 days a year. Anyways, thank you, hopefully when I release the POV for this you'll think the layout flows better than Sky Rush. I tried to give the coaster a mix of airtime hills, some overbanked turns, and some quick twists to keep the flow going the whole ride.

The supports are not custom, except for one on the overbanked turn under the lift since the game deleted the original support because of the crossover. Honestly, Intamin Wings look very different from typical Intamins, so I didn't even want to try to recreate those supports. And yes, I honestly feel like I should be into No Limits because I'm not big on theming and I like to focus on the coaster's layout above all, but I just don't have the patience for that game.

A bit of backstory, the New Orleans Hornets became the New Orleans Pelicans in 2013, and sold the Hornets name to Charlotte who changed their name from the Bobcats to the Hornets a year later. The Charlotte Hornets colors are basically just every type of blue, but the New Orleans Hornets used a gorgeous teal color and gold, usually with a black accent as well. I really don't watch a lot of hockey at the moment, but that will certainly change this upcoming spring since I refuse to pay attention to the crapshoot known as the NBA.

I do not know the Ratings off the top of my head, I think excitement is like a 9.4 and fear is a 5.7.

Not a whole lot of future plans for this coaster, perhaps I might add a garden around the queue. The lake will get its fair share of detailing of course, but there will be a whole lot of rocks and boulders everywhere! ;D

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 02:40 AM »
Haha, thank goodness Intamin has no standards other than their coasters only being able to operate 30 days a year.

*mic drop*

The black looked dark blue on my phone, the Jets are dark blue and a lighter almost teal blue.

Yeah i had the game delete a lift hill support when doing the loony turns ride but was too lazy to put it back in myself so i adjusted the track to get most of it back.

I had very little patience with no limits but again that was on my laptop, now i have something i can actually use now, but it's just as tedious as PC, just more realistic, but that's the point.

I am still really overwhelmed by the building and free ranges of objects in pc, like intimidated and have no clue of what to do first, how to organize my plans and start clicking away. So i went to the campaign mode and just Tinker around, then go back to timber wolf and back and forth till i get more comfortable.

What all did you do for the station building? Are you going to do a transfer track and train storage?
If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

Offline Bylateral

• Astro
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:36 PM »
*mic drop*

The black looked dark blue on my phone, the Jets are dark blue and a lighter almost teal blue.

Yeah i had the game delete a lift hill support when doing the loony turns ride but was too lazy to put it back in myself so i adjusted the track to get most of it back.

I had very little patience with no limits but again that was on my laptop, now i have something i can actually use now, but it's just as tedious as PC, just more realistic, but that's the point.

I am still really overwhelmed by the building and free ranges of objects in pc, like intimidated and have no clue of what to do first, how to organize my plans and start clicking away. So i went to the campaign mode and just Tinker around, then go back to timber wolf and back and forth till i get more comfortable.

What all did you do for the station building? Are you going to do a transfer track and train storage?

Yeah it is still pretty overwhelming for me too, the only thing I'm truly familiar with is foliage and wooden beams. Always start small, build stuff like stations and small food buildings at first and you'll start to get more comfortable with things. Toggle some themes too, so you can focus on just generic pieces at first for instance.

The station is just a simple wooden structure on top of a sandstone wall base, I used probably like 6 different pieces to build the whole station. I probably won't do a transfer track because it's just as limiting to make in Planet Coaster as it is in RCT3, if not worse.

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 06:01 PM »
I have space for one on my loony looper to make a transfer track and train housing, I guess i can take a couple pics of it, it is in the pirates campaign [first level i think] and make a thread with it for showing off newbie skills lol. I was just experimenting with the features and testing capabilities so it isn't the greatest coaster but it was fun making it.

I found myself building in the style of RCT3 to help familiarize myself with the freedom of PC. Short pieces and using roughing 7.5 increments for radius, height and roll [7.5, 15, 22.5, 30, 37.5, 45, 52.5, 60, 67.5, 75, 82.5, 90...] depending on the length of the piece can make these dramatic or subtle and it has worked wonders for me so far as far as keeping perspective and not just winging it.

Anywho can't wait for the next update! 

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 10:24 AM »
Also, you need to link me a video of that suspended coaster, I want to see that.

This ride is set on Quarantine Island where several of the areas highlight different styles/eras of medical/mental/spiritual treatment  This ride is in the voodoo and herbal area.  It's called "Jungle Juice", which is the local Nicotinan variant of ayahuasca.  The idea of the ride is to MOSTLY simulate hallucinating you're a bird zooming through the treetops.   I say "mostly" because all the drinks sold in this area are laced with the drug :).

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Bylateral

• Astro
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 01:45 PM »
I have space for one on my loony looper to make a transfer track and train housing, I guess i can take a couple pics of it, it is in the pirates campaign [first level i think] and make a thread with it for showing off newbie skills lol. I was just experimenting with the features and testing capabilities so it isn't the greatest coaster but it was fun making it.

I found myself building in the style of RCT3 to help familiarize myself with the freedom of PC. Short pieces and using roughing 7.5 increments for radius, height and roll [7.5, 15, 22.5, 30, 37.5, 45, 52.5, 60, 67.5, 75, 82.5, 90...] depending on the length of the piece can make these dramatic or subtle and it has worked wonders for me so far as far as keeping perspective and not just winging it.

Anywho can't wait for the next update! 

I saw your transfer track on Timber Wolf, I don't think I'll add one to Hornet anytime soon, but the next coaster I make I will probably start adding them. The angle snapping in this game works wonders, helps keep objects centered. I felt like building in RCT3 was much quicker because everything was grid based, but it of course limited you. PC has unlimited possibilities with a full 3-dimensional rotation system for almost every piece in the game, which I will never get the hang of no matter how much I try.

This ride is set on Quarantine Island where several of the areas highlight different styles/eras of medical/mental/spiritual treatment  This ride is in the voodoo and herbal area.  It's called "Jungle Juice", which is the local Nicotinan variant of ayahuasca.  The idea of the ride is to MOSTLY simulate hallucinating you're a bird zooming through the treetops.   I say "mostly" because all the drinks sold in this area are laced with the drug :).

"A pioneer coaster done wrong" that made me laugh too much ;D. A part of being creative is being unrealistic in my opinion. Great coaster, Bullethead.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:49 PM by Bylateral »

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 04:45 PM »
I got sick and disoriented watching that video.... who do i see about getting a refund!!! That was a waste of pizza... and ice cream!

Bullethead :mad:

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 05:56 PM »
"A pioneer coaster done wrong" that made me laugh too much ;D. A part of being creative is being unrealistic in my opinion. Great coaster, Bullethead.

I got sick and disoriented watching that video.... who do i see about getting a refund!!! That was a waste of pizza... and ice cream!

Bullethead :mad:

Thank you both.  Those are exactly the reactions I was hoping for (although the experience IS better if you put some ayahuasca in your rum).  And Grey, that park is the property of the Dictator of Nicotina, my Tropico alter-ego.  I don't recommend arguing with him on his own turf ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:00 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Fine, I'll get my daddy's friend, Dictator from Hookah-Naria, Sheesha Province. He doesn't have the temperment Nicotina has, but he's got some tricks up his sleeves! :yes: